Mike McCarthy - Dallas Cowboys

8,633 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by micahb2002
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sean Payton completely bungled managing the clock at the end of regulation. Brees got one snap after the :30 second mark.

Also, McCarthy has as many rings as Payton, and pretty much an equal winning percentage in his career.
BMX Bandit
Explain how.

What do you think the saints will want for him?
DannyDuberstein
AG
A large portion of the starting defense is UFA. They can't give up picks for the next guy. Not if they want to field a defense.
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

A large portion of the starting defense is UFA. They can't give up picks for the next guy. Not if they want to field a defense.

Exactly. Those on board with Payton should be on board with McCarthy. Except one you don't have to give picks for.
AgsMyDude
AG
Nombre said:

AgsMyDude said:

jcbaggie04 said:

If I'm Jerry Jones, I am looking at the mirror and seeing my age, and I am resolved to do whatever it takes to get another championship while I am still here to enjoy it. Yes there's a salary cap on players but not really for coaches. I find the very best there is in my mind, and I make it a deal they can't refuse. If I think Sean Payton is the guy, I don't care what New Orleans has or does. I BUY him.
At this stage it's best foot forward. Can't take it with you, Jerr

Sean Payton leaving NOLA for Jerry's show

Sean Payton lives in Vaquero. Bought the home there after he was an established coach in New Orleans. Yes, there is absolutely an interest in the Cowboys by Sean Payton. And I'm not a Cowboys homer.

Of course there is interest. Every NFL franchise is interested. Pipe dream.
Macarthur
Jimtim1216 said:

Payton and the Jones family are reportedly friends. However you do not just buy out a coach. You have to give up draft picks as well. Do not think Dallas will want to lose a couple of first rounders, especially with Jerry at the ripe old age of 77.
Payton is clearly my first choice. I just think the price is too steep.

I'm def on board for McCarthy if the DC is a good hire. McCarthy as HC and play caller w Marvin Lewis as DC would be a really strong duo.
TyHolden
AG
Was chucky too steep for the bucs?
DannyDuberstein
AG
That was also at a time when it still cost a crapload to sign high picks. The new CBA has put so much value on guys in years 1-4/5 since they come much cheaper bow relative to the total cap.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AgRx said:

He should hire Romo. I don't know what kind of coach he'd make, but he could hire him as DC assistant or something. I can't watch a game with him commentating, cuz he tells you EXACTLY what the offensive play is before they run it.

To be fair it's essentially the same offense he ran with some zone read built in
. . .
TyHolden
AG
Well that's interesting. What's JG gonna do for 8 days - help him move in? Show him the ropes?
BMX Bandit
He's a good coach.

Not a "wow" hire, but I like it more than the other options I was hearing. (Realistic, so take out Belicheck, Payton or Lombardi)
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
They moved Jason's desk to the basement.
Ag12thman
AG
Good coach, but will Jerrah give him any player control whatsoever?
ac
Kanyes psychiatrist said:

Would likely take serious compensation but Payton lives in Dallas in the off-season and his dream
Job is the cowboys. That's a fact. Can a deal get done? Likely too expensive but anyone saying Payton wouldn't leave is wrong.
Payton moved back to New Orleans after his divorce.
crazeyalex
I really like the hire, but I think I'm in the minority. If he can get us to an NFC Championship game, it's a win. He's been to 4.
gigem1223
CrazeyAlex T-Shirt Fan said:

I really like the hire, but I think I'm in the minority. If he can get us to an NFC Championship game, it's a win. He's been to 4.

I love the hire. Bout the best Jerry could've done if you ask me. If he can land Lewis as his DC I may pee a little.
Macarthur
I'm good with McCarthy. It's not hugely sexy, but he's a very good NFL coach.

I didn't realize until the above post how closely his record mirrors Payton. He is a solid NFL football coach.

Sure, Lincoln would have been a bigger splash, but it's a huge risk. McCarthy has a much higher floor.

Can we not dispell the myths that JJ just cares about making splashes? Isn't this kind of the anit-decision based on what many folks want to accuse JJ? While very unsexy, this might be the most sound decision they could make....
Gman7709
AG
. . . said:

and BOOM goes the dynamite!
. . .
bonfarr
AG
I am meh on the hire but I am assuming he wowed the Joneses in the interview and I hope that means he showed them he had a plan and is hungry to win another Superbowl after getting fired in GB and not just another retread.

Anyways he is better than Jason Garrett.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
culdeus
AG
OU gotta be a little relieved.
bonfarr
AG
culdeus said:

OU gotta be a little relieved.

One more asswhipping in the Playoffs and they may be ready to run Riley out of town on their own.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TyHolden
AG
. . . said:

can only imagine what went on there?
CrottyKid
AG
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084451/article/expackers-coach-mike-mccarthy-eyes-nfl-return-in-2020

Quote:

The theme of his year away has been self-improvement, in every area, and thus was born The McCarthy Project -- a collaboration with fellow coaches Jim Haslett, Frank Cignetti Jr. and Scott McCurley that McCarthy says has made him "definitely a better coach" than ever before. Together, they've spent months preparing as if they're the NFL's 33rd coaching staff, from studying league trends and rebuilding playbooks to deep dives on analytics and mapping out a calendar for practices and meetings all the way through training camp.

Interesting read. It gives me 2 questions.
1. Can Dak run his offense?
2. Does he try to bring Jim Haslett on as DC?
bonfarr
AG
The myth should never have existed. Jerry hired Switzer, an unemployed coach nobody else would hire, Chan Gailey who had the personality of a dish rag, and Jason Garrett who was promoted from assistant/interim head coach. Wade Phillips wasn't a big splash either. The only times in his 30 years of owning the Cowboys that he has made a splash hire was firing Landry and hiring Jimmy from Miami and Bill Parcells.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's a solid hire, and while a retread, he's very accomplished and I like that he's had some time to recharge. Seems extremely motivated to nail this next job.
DeltaAggie
Gman7709 said:

Hate it or love it.... he's your next coach of America's Team.

You called it! Certainly better than Jason Garrett
expresswrittenconsent
Aww, a sleepover party! Great job again, jerruh.
THEamc
AG
I like the hire, but remains to be seen, until we see who he brings in for OC/DC.
COULD be a great hire.
Ag Natural
AG
Very solid hire. Retreads are okay if they continue to evolve. See Andy Reid and Pete Carrol
BMX Bandit
This video is a good watch

https://footballscoop.com/news/video-heres-how-mike-mccarthy-has-been-preparing-for-his-nfl-comeback/
DTP02
AG
I think it's a safe assumption that all of the guys involved in "Project McCarthy" will get priority treatment in filling out a staff. Haslett would be the most significant of the bunch as DC.

At first glance it's a solid but not inspired hire. Hopefully the year off added some juice for McCarthy. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy adjust his scheme to mesh with Dak, because Rodgers can do some things with the football that Dak simply can't do.
Panama Red
AG
Can't recall who, but saw this greatness on Twitter

First thing McCarthy should say at press conference is "Dez caught it"
expresswrittenconsent
The packers really fell off a cliff after firing him last year. Did they even make the playoffs this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.