Mike McCarthy - Dallas Cowboys

8,590 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by micahb2002
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Southlake
Obvious choice. Safe. Docile to Jerry.

Now, where's Garrett going? Hello New York?
94chem
AgRx said:

He should hire Romo. I don't know what kind of coach he'd make, but he could hire him as DC assistant or something. I can't watch a game with him commentating, cuz he tells you EXACTLY what the offensive play is before they run it.
So, you're saying he'd be just like Garrett?
jr15aggie
AG
I'm always thirsty for Kool-Aid and that's a really promising read on how he had a year off to study the game, look at metrics, rebuild the playbook. That's definitely a much better proposition than grabbing a guy who just got fired recently... somebody that would come to Dallas and implement the same thing that wasn't working with their last team.

In the end it's a toss up. I have no doubt any new hire will energize this team. With the talent we have it's gonna be fun. But does the team stay healthy for Mike? Will the DC hire get more turnovers and big plays from our defense? Lots of questions and we'll also have lots of free agent holes on the team.

I'm excited though, it's not a terrible hire and it's not JG.
jr15aggie
AG
Kashchei
AG
Meh. Whatever.
zooguy96
Jerruh will still be running the show. And the cowboys will continue to be irrelevant until he doesn't.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
BigHitterDaLama
DSAg44 said:

. . . said:

can only imagine what went on there?

Very Epstein-ish
jeffdjohnson
Quote:

In a series of interviews with NBC's Peter King in December, McCarthy indicated that he'd want to go all in on analytics for his next gig. He reportedly wants a "14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team," according to King.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1/6/21051833/mike-mccarthy-dallas-cowboys-new-head-coach

I'll be really curious how this plays out. I feel that football coaches (especially NFL) are extremely risk averse and tend to make poor analytical decisions. Garrett made many such decisions.
ranchag04
AG
DTP02 said:

I think it's a safe assumption that all of the guys involved in "Project McCarthy" will get priority treatment in filling out a staff. Haslett would be the most significant of the bunch as DC.

At first glance it's a solid but not inspired hire. Hopefully the year off added some juice for McCarthy. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy adjust his scheme to mesh with Dak, because Rodgers can do some things with the football that Dak simply can't do.

Sounds like Mike Nolan may be the DC.
jr15aggie
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Quote:

In a series of interviews with NBC's Peter King in December, McCarthy indicated that he'd want to go all in on analytics for his next gig. He reportedly wants a "14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team," according to King.

Definitely very curious about this as well. I have no idea how other teams do all of this, but for the sake of argument, let's say this idea is something new and bold. McCarthy would need an owner willing to green light this "new" department. Safe to say, 14 new staffers probably costs between 3-5 million per year for salaries, travel, equipment, etc.

Couple things we know about Jerry... he isn't cheap and he's not afraid to be on the cutting edge.

I guess we'll see if it translates into wins or if we're all here after another piss poor season making jokes about "thank god we had those analytics!".

EastSideAg2002
jr15aggie said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Quote:

Definitely very curious about this as well. I have no idea how other teams do all of this, but for the sake of argument, let's say this idea is something new and bold. McCarthy would need an owner willing to green light this "new" department. Safe to say, 14 new staffers probably costs between 3-5 million per year for salaries, travel, equipment, etc.

Couple things we know about Jerry... he isn't cheap and he's not afraid to be on the cutting edge.

I guess we'll see if it translates into wins or if we're all here after another piss poor season making jokes about "thank god we had those analytics!".

Time to go ahead and cut the punter then.
Not a Bot
AG
ranchag04 said:

DTP02 said:

I think it's a safe assumption that all of the guys involved in "Project McCarthy" will get priority treatment in filling out a staff. Haslett would be the most significant of the bunch as DC.

At first glance it's a solid but not inspired hire. Hopefully the year off added some juice for McCarthy. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy adjust his scheme to mesh with Dak, because Rodgers can do some things with the football that Dak simply can't do.

Sounds like Mike Nolan may be the DC.

I'll allow it.
jcbaggie04
AG
Mike Nolan a better choice than haslett?
Honest question as I don't know either of their defensive capabilities well...
bonfarr
AG
jr15aggie said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Quote:

Where it gets interesting is when the analytics conflict with Jerry's desire to give his free agents big contracts. Jerry is loyal to his guys and if a guy is a good performer he tends to reward them. What if the analytics say paying Dak $30 MM and Cooper big money isn't a wise investment will Jerry let one of them go?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
jr15aggie
AG
Good point
BMX Bandit
bonfarr said:

jr15aggie said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Quote:

Where it gets interesting is when the analytics conflict with Jerry's desire to give his free agents big contracts. Jerry is loyal to his guys and if a guy is a good performer he tends to reward them. What if the analytics say paying Dak $30 MM and Cooper big money isn't a wise investment will Jerry let one of them go?

Gonna take a lot more than that to sign Dak
micahb2002
AG
DSAg44 said:

. . . said:

can only imagine what went on there?

Motorboating

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.