*** Vikings @ COWBOYS ***

19,308 Views | 667 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

I'm ok w running Zeke there once when you need 2 but you can't do that two in a row.

And then throw him the ball when you absolutely need a first down to win the game and you have one shot? Really you don't look for Cooper there?
Average Joe
AG
Frederick Palowaski said:

Why didn't they send in Whiskers?

Because that would have made more sense than running zeke.
duck79
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

Always play to your strengths and opponents weaknesses, never get cute....why is this so hard to figure out... it's all the patriots have been doing for 20 years

That's the problem. Garrett is convinced this oline and Zeke are the cowboys strength so he refuses to go away from it.
Macarthur
bonfarr said:

Macarthur said:

I'm ok w running Zeke there once when you need 2 but you can't do that two in a row.

And then throw him the ball when you absolutely need a first down to win the game and you have one shot? Really you don't look for Cooper there?
Probably the only mistake Dak made all game.

Cobb was wide open on that
PatAg
AG
Why was Zeke even out there for a route. Keep him for pass protection, which he was crucial at the whole drive
PooDoo
AG
the last of the bohemians
It's not difficult to see how an average coach wins the saints, jets, and this game ... this team actually has 8-1 talent when you single out those games
rsf0626
Dak deserves so much more than this joke of a coaching staff. Dude had an insane game and the coaches ruined that with the playcalling.
rsf0626
DE4D
AG
You didnt actually. Its the e-quivalent of spousal abuse over sporting events. Your presence just makes some people angry. Clearly you watched the same game and commented actually in line with the fanbase through this entire game.
Unemployed
AG
If I saw Jason Garrett on fire, I would go over and clap my hands and maybe it'll put out the fire. If not, oh well. Sht happens.
Macarthur
NukeAg10
AG
That's either a TD or at least the ball is on the 30 or closer.
JW
AG
This crap is why JG is a perpetual 8-8 coach. Just doesn't have it.
BDub3
AG
Running Zeke to the left twice in a row when that hasn't worked all game. Just stupid.
the last of the bohemians
Good chance Austin takes that to the 40 minimum, and Dak has throw at end zone from the 20 minimum on last play....
Unemployed
AG
BDub3 said:

Running Zeke to the left twice in a row when that hasn't worked all game. Just stupid.
But but but it worked for the Vikings.
Unemployed
AG
JW said:

This crap is why JG is a perpetual 8-8 coach. Just doesn't have it.
The frustrating this is, JG is coaching for his job. This is his last year of his contract. Why is he going uber conservative?

Is he just that fking stupid?
rsf0626
The NFC east is so bad they might win the division. No chance they win a game in the playoffs however
Huell Babineaux said:

bonfarr said:

10-6 with a loss in the Wildcard game.

There's almost zero chance we only lose two more times. This team isn't making the playoffs
rsf0626
ApachePilot
AG
Macarthur said:

That's a wall of 5 cowboy blockers to what maybe 3 Vikings that could make a play? Austin would be gone there. No idea why you fair catch that.
Macarthur
ApachePilot said:

Macarthur said:

That's a wall of 5 cowboy blockers to what maybe 3 Vikings that could make a play? Austin would be gone there. No idea why you fair catch that.
The point is he was told to by the coaches.

Incredibly stupid call as Minn was in max protect.
ApachePilot
AG
Macarthur said:

ApachePilot said:

Macarthur said:

The point is he was told to by the coaches.

Incredibly stupid call as Minn was in max protect.

I'm tracking. Not blaming Austin. Just confused by the play call. But I've seen that mistake before. Coaches trying to save time and assuming the play won't be wide open like this. Gotta trust Austin to make the right call.
Ag12thman
AG
Macarthur said:

This was a joke. The guy could have gotten to the 40 or beyond.
Macarthur

Ag12thman
AG
Wow - that's pretty telling. Cousins is truly not very good.
Macarthur
Guys on the ticket talking about right after the cowboys go up 21-20 and Minn just takes the ball and jams it down their throat w like 9 runs. That can't get lost. Defense was so soft
91AggieLawyer
AG
ApachePilot said:

Macarthur said:

What do you mean "no idea why?" There were 17 seconds left at the end of the play. The Cowboys obviously felt that the chances of positive yardage on a play from scrimmage outweighed those from a punt return. In MOST cases, that's a good decision as a punt return burns a lot of time. In this case it was a really BAD decision as the pic shows. But the punt returner has to focus on the ball the entire time and not look at the coverage, so the decision had to be made before the play. And you have to base the right or wrong on what you knew before, not after.

If he runs for 10 seconds and gets nowhere, everyone on here is going to be like, "why didn't he fair catch it?" Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and while it may have been smarter to say, "stand at the 50 and if you have to back up, take it and run..." (or whatever), here it just didn't work out. But don't pretend it wasn't rational.

The 2 runs on 2nd and 3rd down were bone headed plays. The fair catch wasn't per se.
Grapesoda2525
91AggieLawyer said:

ApachePilot said:

Macarthur said:

What do you mean "no idea why?" There were 17 seconds left at the end of the play. The Cowboys obviously felt that the chances of positive yardage on a play from scrimmage outweighed those from a punt return. In MOST cases, that's a good decision as a punt return burns a lot of time. In this case it was a really BAD decision as the pic shows. But the punt returner has to focus on the ball the entire time and not look at the coverage, so the decision had to be made before the play. And you have to base the right or wrong on what you knew before, not after.

If he runs for 10 seconds and gets nowhere, everyone on here is going to be like, "why didn't he fair catch it?" Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and while it may have been smarter to say, "stand at the 50 and if you have to back up, take it and run..." (or whatever), here it just didn't work out. But don't pretend it wasn't rational.

The 2 runs on 2nd and 3rd down were bone headed plays. The fair catch wasn't per se.
That's pretty much been the jason Garrett era tho.

We are conservative when we should be aggressive.

We punt from the other teams 40 yard line when new generation coaches would go for it.

We go for field goals in the 4th quarter while down by 7 points.

We call too many running plays on first down into 9 men boxes.

The entire product just reeks of conservatism, Ivy League puss ball. He's pretty much saying " I'm scared of losing" and because of that style, the team usually freaking loses,

Jerruh has got to roll the dice and bring in a new freaking coach. Even if we get worse, I'm willing to take the chance. I think it's highly unlikely that the next guy is so devoid of testosterone and gonads that it hurts the team.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I didnt necessarily mind Zeke on 2nd. At that point, you need a td and leaving Minn little clock against your swiss cheese defense also helpful too. But 3rd and 4th were awful calls.
Ag12thman
AG
Macarthur said:

Guys on the ticket talking about right after the cowboys go up 21-20 and Minn just takes the ball and jams it down their throat w like 9 runs. That can't get lost. Defense was so soft
When you can't stop the run you lose in all levels of football. We saw that again last night with a huge assist from Jason Garrett.
twilly
AG
The last 4th down plan was likely a slip/seam pass to Whitten, but the Vike's D had him doubled covered. Since it was a rollout, only other player on that side was Zeke, and the only Cowboy Dak could throw to. Poorly designed play from the get go. Took away 2/3rds of the field.

If they saw something on film that showed the VIkes wouldn't cover a rollout play like that, then kudos to the Minn Coaches for making that change. Bad Cowboys coaching on full display there.
The Collective
AG
Agree, Zeke was not the first option on that play. The bigger fail was not having Dak pull the ball on one of those run plays prior to 4th down.
DannyDuberstein
AG
His being the 2nd option and running a route that is difficult for a RB to run was the biggest issue I saw. That out route for a guy that isn't used all that much in the passing game is no cinch to sync up on timing and reeling in the catch. I would have wanted Cobb to be my slot outlet on that side.
KatyAg88
The big fail wasn't running Zeke on 2nd and 2. It was not just having the line push forward the guys right in front of them back for 2 yards. Those blocking schemes they used sucked. When you have at least 3 tries to get 2 yards, just sack up and push forward. This should have been a W for the Boys. The poor coaching was magnified 10x here.
Saint Pablo
KatyAg88 said:

The big fail wasn't running Zeke on 2nd and 2. It was not just having the line push forward the guys right in front of them back for 2 yards. Those blocking schemes they used sucked. When you have at least 3 tries to get 2 yards, just sack up and push forward. This should have been a W for the Boys. The poor coaching was magnified 10x here.
On that play, they rushed three and met him in the backfield.
Macarthur
Saint Pablo said:

KatyAg88 said:

On that play, they rushed three and met him in the backfield.
I watched the replay several times and it looks like Williams thought Fred was going to combo with him. Williams engages and then 'passes' the guy to Fred to move to the 2nd level and Fred just wasn't in position to take him. Not sure who's fault it was but it was clearly a breakdown by someone.

As for the pass to Zeke, I think I remember seeing the behind angle and it did look like Cobb was on a quick slant to the right and Dak never looked that direction. Cobb would have easily got the first and might have scored.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.