**** 2019 Houston Texans Season Thread ****

715,158 Views | 9267 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ajwood1993 said:

The people ripping this trade were the ones thinking NE got a steal 2 years ago when they gave up a 1st, and a 3rd for the same thing. I like this trade and I think our WR core is easily top 10 and features 4 very good receivers, not to mention a very good pass catching back (and yes I know he needs to stay healthy).

Also, Hop was my favorite player and it hurt getting rid of him, but that being said. for all of these alleged NFL teams claiming we got "robbed". If that trade was so bad, than why weren't teams lining up to get him? It was pretty obvious we were shopping him league wide. Hops is great, but no WR is worth that much money, an clearly most teams were on board with that.

I am very excited to watch our 4 WR sets with DJ in the backfield next year.

You assume a) he called other teams and b) BOB would know a better trade if it slapped its wanker across his face. I have little faith either assumption is safe.
Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
Any substance to provide?
BMX Bandit
The Texans keep mortgaging their future by trading picks and aren't getting better "now" with the trades they make. That's a bizarre strategy.
Ryan34
AG
The Hop trade was one of the worst in recent memory. I like adding Cooks but let's be real. O'Brien is an awful GM because he has no idea how to value draft picks.
BMX Bandit
ajwood1993 said:

Any substance to provide?

In response to your made up "everybody who hates this...." claim?
Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
You can't call a trade "the worst in recent memory" when you haven't even seen it play out.

Listen I am as skeptical as anyone about it, and I hope it works in our favor. But just like last year when everyone lost it over the Tunsil/Clowney trades. those trades actually ended up looking decent at year end.

The AFC is wide open and I like being aggressive right now, for proven players. This is a very "NBA" like strategy that hasn't really been tried out in the NFL, but let just see how it plays out.
Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
What I meant to imply was the general media pulse upon trade announcement. The media replay to the NE/NOLA deal was very pro NE (which makes sense because they usually know what they are doing). While the media reply that i've seen so far is negative towards the Texans.

Brandon Cooks is a really good receiver. People need to not forget what NE gave up for him not very long ago.
JCA1
AG
Going back to Hop. I'm convinced BOB refused to trade him within the AFC because he didn't want to have to face him very often. Considering what Buffalo gave up for Diggs, I refuse to believe they would not have offered a better package than Arizona for Hop.
JCA1
AG
ajwood1993 said:

What I meant to imply was the general media pulse upon trade announcement. The media replay to the NE/NOLA deal was very pro NE (which makes sense because they usually know what they are doing). While the media reply that i've seen so far is negative towards the Texans.

Brandon Cooks is a really good receiver. People need to not forget what NE gave up for him not very long ago.

It's difficult to know what to make of Cooks now. He's been given up on by several teams in just a few years and has had at least 5 concussions in the last 5 years or so.
BMX Bandit
NE traded for Cooks 3 years ago coming off a year even he had twice as many yards and almost twice as many receptions as last year.

Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
But I don't think the issue was talent here. I think they got more for Diggs because he is willing to play for way less money. I'm trusting Bilbob on this one and assuming Hop was going to sit out if he didn't get that money (which I don't think any receiver is worth).

And had we let that play out, his value starts to diminish, just like it did for Clowney.
JCA1
AG
You think Hop was never going to play again unless he got 25 mill a year? Because that's what he would have to do under that theory.

Bilbo said Hop wasn't going to show up unless the team tore up the last 3 years of his deal, tacked on 2 more years and the new deal averaged over 25 mill a year. He had no leverage to get that and will play for far less. And to prove it, I'll bet you $100 right now that Hop doesn't get a 5-year deal worth an average of $25 mill. from Arizona but still suits up this year. We on?
lunchbox
The Rams sure are paying a lot of money for Cooks and his concussions to not be on their team.

Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
I'm in, lets do it. I think they extend him to ~$25MM a year at some point this season. I think that was baked into the deal.
bilbobag
Is this a post to **** on me? If you are going to turn everything around on me, I think I am done.
J. Walter Weatherman
That's because NE has earned the benefit of the doubt by having actual success, and because for Cooks it was 3 years and a few injuries ago. Regardless of how terrible of a coach he is, O'Brien the gm just finished trading a top 3 wr in the league for an expensive pile of garbage, and is continuing his record run as the laughingstock of the entire league.
Jackal99
AG
bilbobag said:

Is this a post to **** on me? If you are going to turn everything around on me, I think I am done.

I swear, if y'all **** up and make bilbo leave....

Edit: We love you, bilbo, and appreciate your info.
bilbobag
I am going to give my peace here.

I post to provide information to give you perspective you might not get. I post everything I know. Some will say I biased but I post info that I know and have as true.

Somethings I post haven't worked out. I do my best to verify I bring here.

I will say this, I know what Hop told me and I know what the Texans we're willing to do and what they weren't. This bull**** some of you do make unbearable to come and have a discussion.
BMX Bandit
We do appreciate what you post. Maybe it's the nature of written posts and not oral communication that makes that not clear at times. So I apologize if I came across as attacking or not believing you.

I have no doubt DHop told you that and that he meant it. But what several of us have pointed out is that as adamant as he may be now, it's extremely unlikely he went through with that threat.

That's not an attack on you or your information. Hell, without you we wouldn't even have that or many other things to even discuss.

You are invaluable poster here, so please don't take the posts as being against you.
JCA1
AG
No. Just recapping what you indicated Hop wanted and my opinion he won't get it but will still play football.
HotardAg07
AG
Cooks has had 5 concussions. Go back and look at his game log last year. He was a complete dud after week 5. He's a waste of a second round pick. The odds of him and fuller playing together in the same game for more than 8 games are basically zero.
J. Walter Weatherman
Agreed. I appreciate the perspective and don't doubt Hopkins wanted something in that range and that the Texans were never going to pay it. Any even barely competent GM would have told him to enjoy his unpaid vacation and that they'd be happy to negotiate when he came down to a realistic range. Unfortunately we do not have even a barely competent GM (or coach).
AustinCountyAg
Sooo what's the over/under game wise as far as Cooks and Fuller on the field at the same time????? I say 6
T Durden
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Sooo what's the over/under game wise as far as Cooks and Fuller on the field at the same time????? I say 6

Two.
Mathguy64
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

5. With the O/U on Fuller at 8.
i is smart
AG
bilbobag said:

I will say this, I know what Hop told me and I know what the Texans we're willing to do and what they weren't. This bull**** some of you do make unbearable to come and have a discussion.
Ignore the ones that make it unbearable and stay.
i is smart
AG
ajwood1993 said:

You can't call a trade "the worst in recent memory" when you haven't even seen it play out.

Listen I am as skeptical as anyone about it, and I hope it works in our favor. But just like last year when everyone lost it over the Tunsil/Clowney trades. those trades actually ended up looking decent at year end.

The AFC is wide open and I like being aggressive right now, for proven players. This is a very "NBA" like strategy that hasn't really been tried out in the NFL, but let just see how it plays out.
I like a good discussion. Can you elaborate on this? I follow the NBA and I don't understand what strategy you're referring to.
Mr.Bond
AG
Buddy of mine texted me this today.

Just ran into Andre Johnson at Academy. He was standing behind me in line 6 ft away...I turned around and he nodded his head. I asked jokingly if he could still play...he said not here.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Harry Dunne
Mr.Bond said:

Buddy of mine texted me this today.

Just ran into Andre Johnson at Academy. He was standing behind me in line 6 ft away...I turned around and he nodded his head. I asked jokingly if he could still play...he said not here.
Ags #1
AG
So he basically trashed the team he works for to a total
Stranger?
Wolf_of_Northgate
AG
The strategy of trading away draft picks in return for players who are proven and ready to contribute now.

Both in the MLB and NBA when you're a contender at the deadline you're doing all you can to upgrade right now and that means shipping off draft picks or minor leaguers for players who can better contribute in the present
Agmaniacmike12
I don't mind trading for Cooks, but I feel like a late 2nd for him and a 2021 4th is not the expectation of his value by the rest of the league, especially . He has produced everywhere he has went, but the concussion issue is serious, and even more so, for a team with Will Fuller as the other top option on this team.

I still think we will seriously consider taking a big receiver later. I'm really high on Bryan Edwards, was hoping to see us use our 3rd or 4th rounder on him before this trade. He would still fit was as the bigger outside threat among the speed demons we have. Not sure we can afford to use all of this draft capital on the receiving corps though.
Panama Red
AG
This Barnwell article sums it up:

Quote:

In a vacuum, if I told you the Texans replaced DeAndre Hopkins with Cooks, that wouldn't be a disaster. Where this really goes off the rails, though, is with another O'Brien mistake. The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.

The Texans will pay Cobb and Cooks $38.7 million over the next two seasons, or an average of $19.4 million per year. Hopkins reportedly wanted a contract extension worth between $18 million and $20 million per season. I haven't polled every team, but my suspicion is that about 28 or 29 of the 32 NFL teams would rather pay Hopkins that much money over the next couple of seasons than they would the combination of Cobb and Cooks.
Dianna Russini is the one that reported the $18-$20mm demand from Hopkins.

One things Barnwell is wrong about: In a vacuum replacing Hopkins with Cooks is a disaster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29018504/brandin-cooks-trade-grades-another-disaster-texans-admission-failure-rams
BMX Bandit
ajwood1993 said:

The strategy of trading away draft picks in return for players who are proven and ready to contribute now.

Both in the MLB and NBA when you're a contender at the deadline you're doing all you can to upgrade right now and that means shipping off draft picks or minor leaguers for players who can better contribute in the present

Is a contender trading away some of its best players a winning strategy in that NBA & MPB model?
J. Walter Weatherman
The Hopkins trade would be the equivalent of trading Paul George for a 37 year old that makes $15 million a year and only shoots midrange jumpers.
First Page Last Page
Page 245 of 265

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.