**** 2019 Houston Texans Season Thread ****

709,987 Views | 9267 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Agmaniacmike12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

I think Duke should be the lead back. He was in college. He's excelled whenever given an opportunity. Feed him.
I'm in agreement with you that Duke should be given the lead role if David Johnson gets hurt or struggles, but we've seen multiple teams decide not to give him that opportunity, so I don't think he will be the lead back in the scenario list. His numbers show that he can tote the rock, especially in this type of offense and he is fairly durable for his size.
Ags #1
AG
Clownwy to sign with titans. Will face him twice a year
Texan_Aggie
AG
Ags #1 said:

Clownwy to sign with titans. Will face him twice a year

Not official yet. Apparently NOLA is trying to flip him.

Clowney is usually good for about 3-4 unhumanlike games, then is a ghost the rest of the time. Let's hope our two are the ghost games.
Ags #1
AG
Yep. Looks like espn jumped the gun
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The Deshaun Watson Zoom call.
AG@RICE
AG
We cut Angelo Blackson. A bit surprising.

We also cut Weeks, but I think they plan to resign him to the same contract. They are apparently trying to sneak rookies on to the practice squad.

Kept Coutee and Waring even though both appear to be made out of paper.

We also cut Scottie Phillips despite John Harris talking him up...never trust John Harris' analysis.
bilbobag
Qvale and Weeks were released but they will be resigned. Did it as to that Gaines and Coulter can be put on IR for potential return during the season.
Ags #1
AG
Sounds like clowney to titans on a one year deal if official
bilbobag
It's done m. They are also waiving the franchise tag next year. Probably the part that sent him to the Titans
Ags #1
AG
Seems like clowney isnt going to get the big payday he envisioned
Texan_Aggie
AG
I think Bilbo rumored the Texans best offer was 6 years, $115M. That's right around $19M a year. Today he signed a 1 yr $15M deal. I think Clowney is having a hard reality check that the league does not think he is worth close to what he thinks he's worth. This non-deal and trade by the Texans continues to look like a good move the more this develops.
lunchbox
https://www.nfl.com/news/inside-wild-backstory-behind-saints-last-ditch-effort-to-sign-jadeveon-clowney

Quote:

The Saints were working with another team towards a unique sign-and-trade deal that would've maneuvered around salary cap constraints to bring the free-agent Clowney to New Orleans. But talks fell apart over the NFL's willingness to approve such a deal, and Clowney wound up agreeing to terms with the Tennessee Titans on a one-year deal late Saturday night.

According to sources informed of the talks, the Saints didn't feel they could compete financially with the Titans' offer $12 million, plus $3 million in incentives given budgetary reasons. So, they approached another team to find a workaround. (Sources didn't confirm the other team, which hereafter is referred to as "Team X", but it is believed to be the Cleveland Browns, who have ample cap space and a front office known for having a propensity for creativity, most memorably on display in their 2016 trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler.)

The sides discussed parameters of a deal in which Team X would've signed Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract and paid him a $5 million signing bonus. Then, Team X would've immediately traded Clowney to the Saints, who would've sent Team X a second-round draft pick, as well as a player to take additional salary off New Orleans' books. The Saints would've paid Clowney's remaining $10 million salary.

Just one problem: The teams got word late Saturday the NFL was unlikely to approve such a deal.
Ryan34
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

I think Bilbo rumored the Texans best offer was 6 years, $115M. That's right around $19M a year. Today he signed a 1 yr $15M deal. I think Clowney is having a hard reality check that the league does not think he is worth close to what he thinks he's worth. This non-deal and trade by the Texans continues to look like a good move the more this develops.

I know sack stats aren't the end all, be all, but he had 3 sacks last year. Other premier get just as much attention as him and have far more production. Still not sure we got fair value in return, but not giving him that contract is also looking better and better too.
bilbobag
I don't like the word "rumored." Clowney offer from the Texans was right at $19/year with incentives. Incentives were roster, workout and I believe actives related to game days.

The dude isn't going to get what his big head thinks he's worth. He fired Cook now twice because Cook sees the writing on the wall but he doesn't.
ac04
bilbobag
Hopkins negotiated a new deal with the Cardinals himself. Will be paid more than Julio.
bilbobag
Hearing $70 million guaranteed
bilbobag
4 years 94 million supposedly
k20dub
AG
JCA1 said:

I'm assuming Hopkins will not be reporting, right? We were told this was only about money and Hop refused to play without a $25 million/year deal. Well, he still doesn't have one.

mAgnoliAg
AG
lunchbox

bilbobag
Huh, originally it was 4 years..

Good for Hop
Panama Red
AG
$18.8 per year. Said when he was traded he wouldn't hold out if offered $20mm per year.

Terrible trade gets worse.
Ag_07
AG
Good for him. He deserves it.

Sure beats the hell out of being paid less on top of playing for BoB.
Ryan34
AG
Panama Red said:

$18.8 per year. Said when he was traded he wouldn't hold out if offered $20mm per year.

He's getting over $42M guaranteed over 2 years. Tweet says he's the highest paid non-QB. So the numbers are in the ballpark of what was speculated.

And none of that makes the trade any less horrible. Still one of the worst in a long time.
bilbobag
It's really a four deal. The last year is voidable. So that 5th year is tbd
Texan_Aggie
AG
Good for Hop. Not sure we could have afforded that + $40M cap hit for Watson + $21M cap hit for Tunsil in a few years. I am curious to see when Kyler will want a new deal and what it'll look like.
Panama Red
AG
Ryan34 said:

Panama Red said:

He's getting over $42M guaranteed over 2 years. Tweet says he's the highest paid non-QB. So the numbers are in the ballpark of what was speculated.

And none of that makes the trade any less horrible. Still one of the worst in a long time.

And none of that changes that he wouldn't have sat out of Texans had gotten him $20mm per year. It was doable even with the Watson deal.

BMX Bandit
MelvinUdall said:

Mr.Bond said:

So we have a franchise qb with a dumbass for a coach and no WR weapons.... Let's ****ing gooooooooo

I am going to assume the no WR weapons was sarcasm.

So many weapons!!
First Page Refresh
Page 265 of 265

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.