Moves You'd Want to See the Cowboys Make this Offseason

6,889 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TMACsDaMan
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting to kinda hear the tone of Cowboys "insiders" go from "no way in hell Dez is let go" to "ok maybe it's not as ridic as we first thought...still prob won't happen but not ruling it out" and now to "hmmm...there is actually some discussion goin on about this"
PooDoo
AG
I was so happy the Cowboys found someone to replace Phil Costa I couldn't understand why Sturm would be upset about passing on Floyd.

You look back at that crazy 2013 1st round and trading back to draft Fredrick was genius... then they pass on LeVeon Bell, Honey Badger, and Travis Kelce for Gavin Escobar.
Rex Racer
AG
For Jerry to step down as the GM. The guys on the Ticket this morning played an interview with him from the Senior Bowl, and in talking about the Eagles, he didn't know the names of EITHER Eagles quarterback. If any other GM in the NFL couldn't name them, they would be fired because it is their JOB to know.

I know he won't step down until his health doesn't allow, but there's no excuse for that. It's just another example of the terrible job he has done as GM of the organization since Jimmy left.
PooDoo
AG
Has Jerry ever known anyone's name?
Rex Racer
AG
PooDoo said:

Has Jerry ever known anyone's name?
Point taken.
corleoneAg99
AG
PooDoo said:

I was so happy the Cowboys found someone to replace Phil Costa I couldn't understand why Sturm would be upset about passing on Floyd.

You look back at that crazy 2013 1st round and trading back to draft Fredrick was genius... then they pass on LeVeon Bell, Honey Badger, and Travis Kelce for Gavin Escobar.

I don't think Sturm was upset...at least I don't remember that. What I remember was that Floyd had a top 10 grade that they passed on late in the first for a, at the time, only decently graded center. Now in hindsight it was a fine pick(followed by a total bust in the 2nd) but the point is to maximize the value of the pick and that's typically more likely taking a highly graded DT vs. a decently graded C.

I think they deserve credit for scouting Fredrick well as much as they deserve blame for not really valuing the 1 tech DT position too highly. I mean there's talk they want Malik Collins to play there next year and that's a recipe for disaster IMO. They need to find someone who can two gap and not get absolutely decimated at the POA.
gigem1223
So what's everyone's predictions for the Boys' top 3 pick?

1. Vea DT
2. Jefferson LB
3. Watts S
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
gigem1223 said:

So what's everyone's predictions for the Boys' top 3 pick?

1. Vea DT
2. Jefferson LB
3. Watts S
where is the player who is currently injured, and likely to have a "red shirt" rookie season but incites Stephen and Jerry Jones to felate one another and high five after the pick? which one of your guys is that?
ramblin_ag02
AG
At this point I'm conviced Jerry only puts in the effort to learn about the top 30-40 players in each draft. When a name he recognizes drops to the 2nd round he goes for it. Pretty sure that's why we get so many 2nd round picks with "1st round grades" that fall due to behavior, drugs, or injuries.

To answer the original thread question:
In a perfect imaginary world
1) Jerry makes no football decisons
2) cut everyone overpaid. Dez and Bailey come to mind. Not that they suck but both are way overpaid
3) snag the next Belichick (or the current one)
4) draft at least one HOF and 2 all pros, and the rest eventual starters
5) underpay free agents that end up playing really well
6) cure Tyron Smith's back forever
7) gubernatorial and presidential pardons ready for Zeke and incriminating photos of Roger Goodell
8) And most importantly and unbelievably, curtains for Jerryworld
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's mostly that Jerry is a wildcatter at heart. He owes his success to it. He's willing to take the risk if there is a shot at a big payoff. Even buying the Cowboys was that kind of a move. He's seen these risks pay off his whole life, so he's thinking "why stop now?"
PooDoo
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

At this point I'm conviced Jerry only puts in the effort to learn about the top 30-40 players in each draft. When a name he recognizes drops to the 2nd round he goes for it. Pretty sure that's why we get so many 2nd round picks with "1st round grades" that fall due to behavior, drugs, or injuries.

To answer the original thread question:
In a perfect imaginary world
1) Jerry makes no football decisons
2) cut everyone overpaid. Dez and Bailey come to mind. Not that they suck but both are way overpaid
3) snag the next Belichick (or the current one)
4) draft at least one HOF and 2 all pros, and the rest eventual starters
5) underpay free agents that end up playing really well
6) cure Tyron Smith's back forever
7) gubernatorial and presidential pardons ready for Zeke and incriminating photos of Roger Goodell
8) And most importantly and unbelievably, curtains for Jerryworld
Southlake
After watching Gronk and Ertz play in the SB,it's very obvious the Cowboys need a playmaking TE.

Witten is not a threat. cannot move after a catch.

Get OUs TE in the second round.

With a serious TE, Dez would be more effective
Marty Byrde
Fire Jason Garrett
StaffRat
AG
Garrett may or may not be a good coach but he isn't the problem. The problem is that dotering old fool Jerry.
PooDoo
AG
fightinag
Keep everyrhing the way it is !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Macarthur
StaffRat said:

Garrett may or may not be a good coach but he isn't the problem. The problem is that dotering old fool Jerry.
While I would agree over the last 20+ years, I actually think present day, this is incorrect.

Stephen has wrestled the day to day control away from Jerry. We can argue about Stephen, but I think this is pretty much a fact. Jerry still likes to go in front of the camera and spout nonsense, but I really think most of it harmless. They have allowed McCray to have a ton of control over player personel and I think he's done a good job.

JG is a real problem. The margin for error in the NFL is razor thin. Do we need any better example than the Eagles this year? They had a ton of injuries yet Peterson did a masterful job of directing that team. The Cowboys can compete with anyone when they are 100% healthy and have all their horses, but we can't so much as lose someone for a game and that unit goes into the crapper. That is 100% coaching.

Coaching matters. Big time.
Kellso
The Cowboys need to upgrade their defense. The Pats have lost three Super Bowls to NFC East teams with above average defenses.

Do any of you think if the Cowboys were up 6 points with 2 minutes left one of their defensive players would have stepped up and made a huge sack or interception to put the game away?

Much less Tom Brady?

I hope the Cowboys can get a great defensive tackle. They have not had an above average defensive tackle since Jay Ratliff.
The last time the Cowboys had a top 5 defense was in 2009 (#2) with DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff.

All of their defenses since have been mediocre at best to bad.
Macarthur
Kellso said:

The Cowboys need to upgrade their defense. The Pats have lost three Super Bowls to NFC East teams with above average defenses.

Do any of you think if the Cowboys were up 6 points with 2 minutes left one of their defensive players would have stepped up and made a huge sack or interception to put the game away?

Much less Tom Brady?

I hope the Cowboys can get a great defensive tackle. They have not had an above average defensive tackle since Jay Ratliff.
The last time the Cowboys had a top 5 defense was in 2009 (#2) with DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff.

All of their defenses since have been mediocre at best to bad.
Agree. Gotta build it from the front out. I think the kids in the secondary look promising and added ability up front will help them that much more.

I like the Vea kid. I think Collins is decent and Irvin is pretty good. Looks like we have something in Lawrence. I think adding someone that will absolutely plug the middle and draw two blockers on almost every play, would do wonders for the defense.

Would love to see them go DL in the first, WR in the 2nd or 3rd and LBer in the 2nd or 3rd. Prob need to grab an OL in the 4th or 5th.
Macarthur
Would love the first three rounds to go:
Vea
Gallup, WR
Jewel, LB
Macarthur
I think the Dunbar kid out of Houston is an interesting later round WR prospect too. Won't run a great 40, but is quick w/ his breaks and I think is a good route runner which we need badly.
TMACsDaMan
How about making moves this year to make it possible to get Ed Oliver next year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.