Moves You'd Want to See the Cowboys Make this Offseason

6,886 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TMACsDaMan
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would love for them to cut Dez and draft a high end WR...maybe Courtland Sutton
bonfarr
AG
Fix the glare/shadows at the stadium.

Replace Garrett.

Don't expect them to do either.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Macarthur
Here's my early thoughts

Cut dez
Draft WR high
Draft DL & LBer High
Draft OL
Draft LBer again

Don't care for Williams but if we cut dez, prob need to keep
Let B Jones walk
Tre Boston is an interesting S
Resign Hitchens - however, he may command significant $

Gotta lock down Lawrence

I think the kids in the secondary are intriguing so I think we are good at CB.

Mike Elko
AG
Have Jerruh fire Jerruh.
selk
AG
Get rid of Dez Go get AJ Green, Mike Evans, Crabtree
Post removed:
by user
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Unrealistic Moves That Should Happen But Wont:

Fire Garrett
Cut Dez
Sign a stud WR deep threat

Other moves that should happen and might...

-Continue to stack youngsters on D and add speed. Especially need LBs.

-Supplement that with the signing of an impact defender (not a guy they try to sell the fans on as an impact guy i.e..Mayowa and Carroll but an actual legit impact guy).

-Add an impact 6th OL. A swing guy who can play inside or outside and not have the quality drop off as much as it did this year when Smith was out.

I'm expecting yet another offseason of moves that really end up being pretty inconsequential. The good news is that this team has shown an ability to make nice draft picks when they are a bit higher up on the board so hopefully we can walk outa the draft with 2 impact guys right there without one of them being a "injury gamble" type guy like they have done in the past.
corleoneAg99
AG
Is there a way for them to get Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry instead of Zeke and Jaylon? Like a time machine or something?
mike_ags_fan12
GM change
Mike Elko
AG
I get the Ramsey part, but Henry over Elliott?! No, thanks.
corleoneAg99
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Right...it would be Ramsey over Zeke and Henry over Jaylon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

The point is that it's a package deal due to how the draft worked out. Could have taken Ransey in the 1st and Henry was still available when they picked in the 2nd instead of Zeke in the 1st and a LB who still has nerve damage and a numb foot in the 2nd. I'd make that swap in a heartbeat.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And Ramsey just makes an unbelievable play to lock up a playoff W
TheCougarHunter
AG
Eh, I'm more angry about them drafting Taco Charlton

If Zeke can pull his head out of his ass...
birdman
The Chargers went rogue and screwed up the draft. If they don't pick Bosa, I think Dallas picks him and never looks back.

I thought Taco Charlton looked good. At times, he looked like a rookie too. I wasn't disappointed in his performance at all.

I'm picking linebacker first. I'm probably picking linebacker 3rd or 4th too.
MooreTrucker
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

GM change
Isn't Stephen doing more GM stuff these days?
MooreTrucker
AG
Saint Pablo said:

I would love for them to cut Dez and draft a high end WR...maybe Courtland Sutton
This and a new HC are my wish list.
DannyDuberstein
AG
MooreTrucker said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

GM change
Yeah, the real innerworkings seem like GM responsibilities are largely split between two folks - Will McClay (more player) and Stephen Jones (more $$), but with Jerry looming as a final decision-maker and chief meddler.
corleoneAg99
AG
Without a time machine I think they need all three of these to get back to the playoffs:

- non orange cone swing T

- a play maker at TE or WR

- a run and hit LB that lessens the drop off when Lee gets hurt

Also on Taco, actually think he progressed fine...I still take Kevin King there but Chido has been good too. Given where they were picking and who was on the board those picks seem pretty good.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree on all 3. The DL played reasonably well this year, and extending DLaw is going to take significant resources. I can't see dedicating even more resources to it with the other holes on the team. Find a receiving threat, find another LB, and let the young DB corps continue to mature.
MooreTrucker
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

MooreTrucker said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

GM change
Yeah, the real innerworkings seem like GM responsibilities are largely split between two folks - Will McClay (more player) and Stephen Jones (more $$), but with Jerry looming as a final decision-maker and chief meddler.
He is meddling less, though, right? As evidenced by them NOT taking JFF. Jerry really wanted him but Stephen, et al. talked him down.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

What does this mean?
bonfarr
AG
Why so much debate over a draft from 2 years ago? Hindsight is 20/20 I would rather see discussion about draft picks in '18.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
DannyDuberstein
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

What does this mean?

It means a backup tackle that will actually block people versus allowing DEs to run around them all day, like the backups were doing this year. This offense was basically non-functional with the backup LT.

I'm worried about Tyron's back. I think their backup T will get a lot of PT the next couple of years, and may even be needed as a full-time starter in a couple of years.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ya, back troubles don't usually just go away.

frustrating also that he's still so young.
Enviroag02
AG
How the hell can a guy go from being the 3rd string QB on an NFL team, to being cut, to being named the QB Coach for that same NFL team all in the same year? Looks Like Kellen Moore will be giving "advice" to Dak now...the guy 2 levels up on the depth chart. What kind of photos does Kellen Moore have to keep getting these opportunities?!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

ya, back troubles don't usually just go away.

frustrating also that he's still so young.
Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the other issues he dealt with were a compensation effect of protecting the back. He's a young guy, but he's a young guy with a lot of miles on the odometer already. He was only 17 years old when playing in 10 games as a fish at USC.
bonfarr
AG
Enviroag02 said:

How the hell can a guy go from being the 3rd string QB on an NFL team, to being cut, to being named the QB Coach for that same NFL team all in the same year? Looks Like Kellen Moore will be giving "advice" to Dak now...the guy 2 levels up on the depth chart. What kind of photos does Kellen Moore have to keep getting these opportunities?!

Jason Garrett took a similar path for the Giants many years ago.
752bro4
AG
bonfarr said:

Enviroag02 said:

Jason Garrett took a similar path for the Giants many years ago.
It's a process.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One key move needs to be philosophical. Far less empty backfield. More play-action. This offense should have been about working Zeke (and/or Morris), then going deep off play-action to Dez, TW, and Butler, with Witten, Beasley, and Zeke as underneath outlets. There were far too many empty backfield sets and reliance upon Dak this year where they were even tipping their hand before the play.
MooreTrucker
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, coach.
rackmonster
AG
Eagles fan here.........
Even last year we were excited.....about our QB.....but yours as well
Wentz vs Prescott could be a storied rivalry ...if we can keep em healthy...for the next 7-10 years.....

What a difference a year makes ...last year...you guys go 13-3.....One and done....as an Eagles fan.....ok...I guess I was supposed to be happy about that.....but I sure ain't now.....

The feeling here right now is......down......Atlanta is hot....on a mission to redeem themselves......

And all we're doing is mumbling the Rosary over and over....that the Nick Foles of 2013 will show up on Saturday night....if we can just get thru this game....we could go all the way.....

Just not feeling good right now...
Rossko
AG
I'd like to take a WR or LB in the 1st & 2nd rounds then a DT and another WR in the 3rd & 4th. We need to solidify the middle of the defense and get some playmakers for Dak. Ideally we get two guys who can actually stretch the field and let Dez play a power slot type of role to out muscle the inside DBs. He is not getting separation on the outside at all. If we can take two WR in the top 4 rounds I would just cut Terrance Williams. He will only be blocking the development of younger guys and if we need a veteran, bring back Brice Butler at a fraction of the cost. Butler & Noah Brown bring more value than Terrance Williams at this point.
jr15aggie
AG
Just know that Dez is not going anywhere! Him and Jerry are extremely close and it would cost too much (against the cap) to cut him.

But it also shouldn't exclude us from getting a bad ass WR in round 1 if there is a guy sitting there.

We need another playmaker for the offense.
We need LB (wouldn't be surprised if Hitchens finds a nice deal somewhere else)
We need a safety
We need a swing tackle
DannyDuberstein
AG
It wouldn't cost too much against the cap to release Dez. It would save $12MM this year if they wait until June 1. Saves $8MM if they do it before June 1.

Now Jerry is a sentimental old fool about releasing overpaid veterans, so I'll give you that. But there is not a salary cap reason to keep Dez. At a minimum, his base salary needs to be cut. I think you go to him with a lower salary and see if he takes it, and if not, you cut him. You can do too much this team needs with $12MM. A team serious about winning can't keep Dez around at the full $16.5MM against the cap that he'll cost this year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.