*** COWBOYS 2016 Season ***

285,240 Views | 3441 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag Natural
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My guess is the defense is 9-7 bad with Romo having a full MVP type year. No way this team was going to the SB. BTW had the Jones not lucked into Romo he would hands-down be considered the worst owner in all off football.
RedlineAg08
I can't think of a defense in the NFL with less talent than the Dallas Cowboys. It's absolutely pathetic what they've allowed this defense to become.

With Romo it's a playoff team. Without him, we'll be drafting in the top 5 again.. I love that Dak has looked good, but odds are a rookie QB isn't going to elevate a team. Especially not a team with zero defense.
jr15aggie
AG
In a little over a week we are all going to find out... but in the meantime here's why you can't call us crazy for being optimistic about Dak!

PooDoo
AG
And Conner Cook, the most "NFL Ready" QB is the only one with more INTs than TDs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That Hackenberg stat line. What a spare. That was such an Nyj pick.
jr15aggie
AG
I watched Paxton play a little, mostly because Dallas was so close to getting him so I was curious. He's pretty good... definitely potential there. But he, like most Rookies, had happy feet and didn't look comfortable in the pocket on many occasions. I still can't figure out where Dak learned to be so poised.

The most glaring stat is how most of the QBs on that list have a very low yards/attempt stat. They are all checking down and throwing short (Wentz is laughably bad here). Dak and Cook appear to be the only QB's consistently throwing (and connecting) down field according to the stats.

And yeah, so far I'm loving the Hackenberg & Wentz picks. Remind me how much Philly gave up to get there!? ROFL!!!
Ag Natural
AG
I actually see a lot of young potential on the defense. But I guess I'm not the astute talent evaluator that many posters on here clearly are.
Agnzona
The fear of turnovers is exactly what creates the situation to turn the ball over. Short outs become very easy to sit on when they are 75% or more of most young QB's games. It is what makes Mark Sanchez such a bad QB it is the only throw he has. It's like a one pitch baseball pitcher, not long before the sit on that pitch.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
I actually see a lot of young potential on the defense. But I guess I'm not the astute talent evaluator that many posters on here clearly are.

Young potential is present on most every team.

Even folks who are bad talent evaluators can point that out.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
I can't think of a defense in the NFL with less talent than the Dallas Cowboys. It's absolutely pathetic what they've allowed this defense to become.

With Romo it's a playoff team. Without him, we'll be drafting in the top 5 again.. I love that Dak has looked good, but odds are a rookie QB isn't going to elevate a team. Especially not a team with zero defense.

As of today the Colts are absolutely worse. Lions aren't great. San Fran.

Dallas has some good players but per usual, it's not the top of the roster. It's the depth.

Hater checking in.
Macarthur
quote:

I tend to agree here. I know saying anything positive about the Cowboys is low hanging fruit for many on here, but how about this...

Secondary is as good as it's been in a long time. The fact that there is actual talk of Wilcox not making this team is evidence of that.

The LBers are solid (assuming health)

No one has been talking about Lawrence because of the suspension, but he has quite a bit of buzz around him this offseason that he will take a big step forward.

Crawford played with one arm last year so most think he should be much much better than last year.

Thornton was a solid piece in Philly

Collins shows some promise.

Irving looks like he can be a decent rotation guy.

I'm actually a big believer that luck plays a significant role in turnovers. There are a few teams that are outliers on both sides of that discussion, but I think the law of averages says the Cowboys will have more TOs this year.

It's certainly possible that I am looking at things through blue and silver lenses but I think the same can be said about some arguing the opposite.

And let me be clear that I'm not claiming this is a top 10 defense, but I think just like 2014, this defense has a chance to be decent
Ag Natural
AG
They also thought enough of Benson Mayowa to sign him as an UFA.
corleoneAg99
AG
2014 Dallas defense was 22nd in defensive DVOA.

They were bad. Just not the worst. That's the bar.

And that was with due for regression TO numbers, btw.
Macarthur
But they were third in the league in takeaways
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Wonder if they might be interested in Manny Lawson, at least for some depth. Dude was a starter for a solid Bills defense until he tore his pectoral.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:

As I said, stats shows that TOs regress to the mean most years. If they are lucky with it again this year maybe they crack the top 20?

That's reasonable right?
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

As I said, stats shows that TOs regress to the mean most years. If they are lucky with it again this year maybe they crack the top 20?

That's reasonable right?

Well, that's possibly true. I would suspect that the diff in 17 and 21 is probably pretty minimal.

But if you tell me this defense can force around 30 turnovers, and the offense is as advertised, they should be a playoff team.
corleoneAg99
AG
Well yeah. If just making the playoffs is the bar then that shouldn't be an issue unless the defense is bottom 5.
RedlineAg08
Are we talking with Romo or with Dak?
PooDoo
AG
You've got to start somewhere.
JAggie2007
AG
If this team doesn't win too much while Romo is down I think I'd rather them tank for a chance at Garrett honestly. As much as I want Romo to get a ring I just dont think they can do it with the defense they have. I'd love to me wrong though and have the Boys get #6, I just don't see it happening. Hopefully Dak and the offense surprise me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i find it interesting that some posters keep giving the organization the benefit of the doubt on not addressing defense.

last night in an interview pregame Jerry went on record stating this year's defense could be as good as the 2014 defense. that's right....Jerry's hope and goal is that this team's defense be as good as the 2014 team.

the 2014 team's defensive rank was 19th in the league. 19th.

let that sink in that the Owner/GM/President's big expectation and hope is to get to 19th. how many teams ranked with the 19th defense have won a Super Bowl much less been in a Super Bowl?

so for those of you saying "be fair, let the season play out and you don't know as much as the organization or its talent evaluators" you can expect to maybe have the 19th best defense. on the bright side at least your wives will be happier your NFL interests are pretty much done at the end of December.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
If this team doesn't win too much while Romo is down I think I'd rather them tank for a chance at Garrett honestly. As much as I want Romo to get a ring I just dont think they can do it with the defense they have. I'd love to me wrong though and have the Boys get #6, I just don't see it happening. Hopefully Dak and the offense surprise me.
frankly as of now, i'd say its looking like just about the entire 2017 draft should be dedicated to defense. front 7 especially. that's if Dak proves he can be a long term QB and we don't need one of those.

lets say...

1(10 overall even): DE
2: DT (not the injured might or might not play in 2017 kind)
3:LB
4: DE
5: WR (T Will becoming a free agent)
6: LB
7: DB

In free agency they need to add real impact defenders not guys who are just kinda ok players (like they did this past off season). Of course, realistically i dont see them doing that. Stephen Jones is definitely going the route of being overly cautious and conservative in free agency.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
You've got to start somewhere.

Jerrys slogan for 20 years strong!
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
frankly as of now, i'd say its looking like just about the entire 2017 draft should be dedicated to defense. front 7 especially. that's if Dak proves he can be a long term QB and we don't need one of those.

lets say...

1(10 overall even): DE
2: DT (not the injured might or might not play in 2017 kind)
3:LB
4: DE
5: WR (T Will becoming a free agent)
6: LB
7: DB

In free agency they need to add real impact defenders not guys who are just kinda ok players (like they did this past off season). Of course, realistically i dont see them doing that. Stephen Jones is definitely going the route of being overly cautious and conservative in free agency.

Sturm addressed this the other day but FA spending is directly tied to the teams cap hit from Romo's contract.

So Dak will get a lot of leash because he's super cheap and any real money they spend will probably be to sign their own guys.

That's why depth from the draft is critical and they don't seem to value it as much as some teams.
Ag Natural
AG
Well there is a cap to worry about. History has proven that you aren't going to fix a defense via free agency signings. That being said, the Giants added a couple of nice pieces this year so we can monitor that situation.

When it comes down to it, all you negative nannies are just pissed about the draft. I personally didn't see a defender I liked better than Zeke. I think you get in trouble drafting for need over value. Yeah, the second round pick is a missed opportunity for this season but could pay off big time down the road. Beyond that I think they drafted a couple of nice defensive prospects we just have to wait and see how they develop.
Macarthur
Aaron Murray was released. I know Broaddus is a big fan of him.
Macarthur
Some cowboy sites I frequent are saying that Will McClay and his team are going to be very aggressive with this waiver wire.
RedlineAg08
"Drafting need over value is what gets teams in trouble" is the most bull**** statement related to the draft. It gets used too much. Need dictates everything. If you have 2 positions of need, then you draft the more valuable pick. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz weren't the most valuable picks in the draft. They were needed the most for the teams that drafted them.
PooDoo
AG
Justin Hunter cut... Kids got talent.
corleoneAg99
AG
Great athlete...terrible at routes and the catching thing.

Agree on Lawson, tho.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
"Drafting need over value is what gets teams in trouble" is the most bull**** statement related to the draft. It gets used too much. Need dictates everything. If you have 2 positions of need, then you draft the more valuable pick. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz weren't the most valuable picks in the draft. They were needed the most for the teams that drafted them.

Well some positions are more valuable and the value to the team increases when there is need. If you perceive a QB is a starter then picking him #1 is a good value pick or picking a center in round one because you don't have one and he'll be an instant starter is good value. Where you get in trouble is reaching for a position of need. Grabbing Christian Ponder or EJ Manual or J. Manziel in the first round just because you need a QB is a bad decision.

Drafting Shante Carver in the first because you need a pass rusher is a bad decision. The list goes on.

The value vs Need decision is not black and white but it's important to always put overall value first. In the Cowboys case, adding DE wouldn't have made sense at 4 unless they thought the guy was a day one stud... Because that's what Zeke will be.
gigem1223
Wow....

Vikings give a first round pick for Sam ****ing Bradford. Great move for the Iggles.
Enviroag02
AG
So is Chase Daniel or Wentz the starter now?
corleoneAg99
AG
Daniel.

Damn, Vikes...overpay much?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.