Job Network
Sponsored by

Got an offer today - Giving Notice while boss is on vacation

13,718 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
badharambe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CONGRATS!! Super pumped for ya. I know you wanted this job and you were dadgum qualified for it.

Late to the party here, I would just have notified them via text, email, (informal) that you were going to resign this coming Monday and then resign to the boss' boss.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Thanks!

I am just waiting on confirmation of my anticipated start date from new company.

Unfortunately for the current company, they are being decimated. Our PM team is supposed to be 5-6 people people and we've been struggling by with 3-4 for the last 6 months)
1. Sr. PM let go in December (hired replacement in March)
2. Sr. PM left in May (hired replacement in June)
3. Sr. PM transferred out to another role in June and I just found out he put in notice last week.
4. And I'm about to leave.

This won't impact my decision, but it's just really bad timing for current company.

So if anyone is looking for a PM Role, let me know, because I know they'll be posting 2x PM (5-10 years PM experience) and 1x Service Manager Role (10-15 years turbine maintenance + data / business experience)
LostInLA07
AG
The level of turnover and voluntary separation and early retirements across all industries is pretty crazy right now.
Irish 2.0
LostInLA07 said:

The level of turnover and voluntary separation and early retirements across all industries is pretty crazy right now.
I'm getting 3-5 calls/emails a week right now from recruiters in animal health/nutrition right now for open posistions. Being early 30s in a senior role is very obtainable in my industry right now if you've got the right experience. Industry ignored the younger people for so long that it left a giant gap in management.

Thanks Poultry Science degree!!
tamuags08
AG
Quote:

One guy was part of the layoff after 3 days of joining
I'm always amazed at hearing stuff like this (though it's not the first time hearing it). They couldn't put a stop to hiring this guy in the first place if they were having layoffs later that week? They both run through HR for crying out loud.
evestor1
i wouldn't give HR much credit.

In 2016 I was required to make some layoffs. One of those RIF'd was very odd when I called to lay him off. Super pumped about severance and didn't understand how he would get unemployment...bc the previous HR person had laid him off 6 months prior and he was working for another company!

He had been getting paid 8 hours per week thinking it was a severance...reality is that HR put him on the bench rather than laying him off on accident.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
And, like clockwork.... current company is working on counter offer to keep me.

I've read enough TexAgs /F18 to know it's a bad idea to accept any counter - but curiosity killed the cat and I want to see how much I was underpaid the last 2-3 years where they could have done something better and only the threat of me leaving has caused them to reconsider.

My 1 over 1 called me and just spent an hour on the phone with me trying to figure out what my new compensation structure is and what considerations I was taking into account that made me look outside the company.
Irish 2.0
Given what you said about the other PM departures, I'd be hesitant to accept the counter regardless of what it is. Hear them out for general curiosity, but I'd say enjoy your new gig
tamuags08
AG
I don't read many stories online (struggle to think of any, actually) of someone who was dissatisfied with their job (compensation, boss, company direction, etc.), went to the trouble of interviewing and getting an offer at a new place, putting in notice and receiving a counter, staying at that company at the new level, and being long term satisfied.

The HR people at my previous F50 employer had some statistic they quoted when I was discussing an employee that I knew was looking...something like 70+ percent of people that stay with a counter offer end up leaving within 12 months.

I would politely listen to the offer and continue forward with your original intent, which was to leave.
infinity ag
SpreadsheetAg said:

Thanks!

I am just waiting on confirmation of my anticipated start date from new company.

Unfortunately for the current company, they are being decimated. Our PM team is supposed to be 5-6 people people and we've been struggling by with 3-4 for the last 6 months)
3. Sr. PM transferred out to another role in June and I just found out he put in notice last week.

This won't impact my decision, but it's just really bad timing for current company.

So if anyone is looking for a PM Role, let me know, because I know they'll be posting 2x PM (5-10 years PM experience) and 1x Service Manager Role (10-15 years turbine maintenance + data / business experience)

PM means Project Manager or Product Manager?
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

The HR people at my previous F50 employer had some statistic they quoted when I was discussing an employee that I knew was looking...something like 70+ percent of people that stay with a counter offer end up leaving within 12 months.
I've heard that all my career, and the only study i have seen was done by a recruiting company.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I will just add that since your boss is out on vacation for 2 weeks, you can just offer 3 weeks' notice. This provides some overlap upon their return.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
infinity ag said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Thanks!

PM means Project Manager or Product Manager?

Project; but really this role is heavy on Field Services Management, Parts Delivery Management, Repairs Management, Contract Management, etc.

Basically you do everything after receiving a customer PO until the service/parts/repair job is complete and billed. Our sales team and commercial teams close the deals and you execute them and bill them.

(There's a lot more to it but it's fast, challenging, time consuming, and a lot of exposure to commercial and services operations). Negotiating change orders, chasing bad payers, warranty work, engineering reviews, site visits, customer calls, etc..
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This recruiting org makes it even more dire:
https://www.changerecruitmentgroup.com/knowledge-centre/why-you-should-and-should-not-accept-a-counteroffer

80% leave within 6 months and 90% within a year
Rudyjax
AG
I skimmed the Forbes article they referenced. It all seems anecdotal. And I'm recruiter.
Irish 2.0
As a recruiter, how many have taken the counter offer vs. the new gig?
Rudyjax
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

As a recruiter, how many have taken the counter offer vs. the new gig?

5%?
You learn to avoid that up using anecdotal evidence pretty early. You also learn when people are using your offer to get a raise.

I also know that the only one from last year is still with his company.

In my agency days, I lost a trip to Mexico in the week between Christmas and New Years with two people who accepted counters. And to top it off, I got banned for a week on Texags. Ahhhh. The good old days. This was in 2005.
tamuags08
AG
Regardless of the exact statistic, the fact remains that with a counter offer, only the compensation is changing. The other factors (company culture, boss, organizational umbrella) generally do not change, at least not for the positive.

This is fine if compensation is the only factor for you seeking employment elsewhere. However, even with that situation generally you would have sought a promotion/raise before looking elsewhere, they would have turned you down, and only when leaving do they relent and recognize your value.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Counter was nice .. even had a pretty big LTI bonus (stocks vesting annually for 3 years); but I think the article was right I'd probably be back to peeking over the fence in 6-12 months. They pay us good, but I'll be making enough at the new role and will have more family time (I have 4 kids under 7).
Javelina
AG
Time is worth more than money. Took me a long time to recognize that. I got tired of watching my kids grow up over text photos.
cjo03
AG
evestor1 said:

In 2016 I was required to make some layoffs. One of those RIF'd was very odd when I called to lay him off. Super pumped about severance and didn't understand how he would get unemployment...bc the previous HR person had laid him off 6 months prior and he was working for another company!

He had been getting paid 8 hours per week thinking it was a severance...reality is that HR put him on the bench rather than laying him off on accident.

to make sure I understand, he got laid off..
was still getting a paycheck that he thought was severance.. went and got another job, but kept drawing that paycheck that he thought was severance for 6 months?!..
and then he got fired again and got severance for real?

maybe it's because I'm in HR but this is quite funny. what type of work was he (suppose to be) doing??
evestor1
cjo03 said:

evestor1 said:

to make sure I understand, he got laid off..
was still getting a paycheck that he thought was severance.. went and got another job, but kept drawing that paycheck that he thought was severance for 6 months?!..
and then he got fired again and got severance for real?

maybe it's because I'm in HR but this is quite funny. what type of work was he (suppose to be) doing??

To have lived it was funnier than to think back upon it. He was a pipe mill inspector.

He was one of the last people i had to call and lay off (with HR on phone)

Me - "Hi Jason, this is evestor1 and i am calling to let you know that your position is being eliminated."

Him - "Thanks for calling...where do i send back my computer and phone"

HR Lady - "Send back to [address] and i will forward to your personal email a few helpful resources about re-entering job market, getting paid unemployment and severance."

Him - "Awesome, that is great. What is severance"

HR Lady - "One week per year...so you will receive 6 weeks of pay."

Him - "That is great. How did i collect unemployment when i am already working for someone else."

HR Lady - "You already have a job? When do you start?"

Him - "I started 6 months ago when I was laid off"

HR Lady - "You were laid off from where 6 months ago. Looks like you were on the bench and getting paid 8 hours per week."

Him - "No, yall laid me off 6 months ago and told me i'd get 8 hours of pay per week for [some duration of time] ... I've been holding your phone and computer and not really sure what to do with it so i'm really glad yall called. How do i get my real severance and unemployment"

Me - "Uhh Jason, we need to hang up and call you back."

I call HR lady and she is beside herself in laughter. It was full on hilarious that the company was so disorganized that we fired a guy, filed it incorrectly, and had no idea.

We ended up paying 6 weeks of pay for his real severance per company policy and the inspector subcontracts through my company every so often to this day.

Ag_07
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

3. Submit to my boss's boss? She's going to take this really hard I think.

Honestly that's not your problem to worry about.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
All is done; it's not my worry - but she is a good mentor and I genuinely like her most of the time; so it was tough breaking her heart.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.