Job Network
Sponsored by

Got an offer today - Giving Notice while boss is on vacation

13,653 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I got an offer today; and my boss is out of the country for 2 more weeks on his vacation.

Do I:

1. Wait until he gets back and let new company know I can't start until 2 weeks after he gets back (~9th August)?

2. Submit notice to HR while he's out?

3. Submit to my boss's boss? She's going to take this really hard I think.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Verbally submit to boss's boss and follow up with email to HR and boss's boss.

Option #1 is not a good way to start with a new employer
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Text your boss, send resignation to HR.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago, and I told my boss's boss, who was very happy for me. Of course no two circumstances like this are the same, but it worked well for me. It helped that my boss's boss and I had a very good relationship, and shared similar frustrations about the upper management of our workgroup. Good luck!
The Pilot
AG
People routinely take more than 2 wks between jobs, I'm not sure why the additional wait time is frowned upon. Unless the new employer draws a line in the sand. All my previous employers would have been ok with having me 2-6 wks after.
evestor1
In 2014 I resigned to the HR department and immediately called my "boss" - he told me congrats and it would be best if i left that afternoon. HR agreed via email.

Three years later I run into the owner of the company and he asks "What did we do that was so bad to leave the day you quit?" When I told him he looked remorseful that his company had such a jerk supervising people. He knew what happened before I finished the story.

Always quit with everyone involved. Call first and resign to everyone immediately after via email.
Bluehazel
AG
Don't delay the start date. Time to move on.
500,000ags
AG
One job is the future, one job is the past. Let it go!
JamesPShelley
Gotta look out for Number 1. That's you.

Forge ahead, and don't look back.

Best wishes on your new gig!
jtp01
AG
Craft an email and submit to boss, his boss and HR. All in one shot. If you feel compelled to speak to someone in person speak with HR, that is their job! If boss' boss wants to talk they can call you to visit.
Bunk Moreland
Boss' boss face to face conversation (if not working remote). Ask her how she would like to inform your direct boss given the current vacation and suggest you would be happy to send an email informing but want to do whatever she thinks is best.
Cyp0111
Face to face is possible with your bosses boss. Have an email ready to go directly to HR and a Text message to your boss ready to be sent. Ensure all parties area ware as soon as possible.
Irish 2.0
Everyone is different, but I quite enjoyed ruining my ex-boss' vacation when I quit. He had forced me to cancel my vacation to cover for him at an expo we presented at because his wife wanted to go on a cruise. I got an offer to start July 1 from my current employer and deliberately waited a week until my ex-boss landed in Europe to give my notice. He had to cut his vacation short to return to the states to cover a presentation he assigned to me. He doesn't talk to me anymore at the expos...
infinity ag
The Pilot said:

People routinely take more than 2 wks between jobs, I'm not sure why the additional wait time is frowned upon. Unless the new employer draws a line in the sand. All my previous employers would have been ok with having me 2-6 wks after.

I am doing a last round next week. If I get the job and I take it, I plan on taking 2 weeks off. I need the break.
superunknown
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Everyone is different, but I quite enjoyed ruining my ex-boss' vacation when I quit. He had forced me to cancel my vacation to cover for him at an expo we presented at because his wife wanted to go on a cruise. I got an offer to start July 1 from my current employer and deliberately waited a week until my ex-boss landed in Europe to give my notice. He had to cut his vacation short to return to the states to cover a presentation he assigned to me. He doesn't talk to me anymore at the expos...

Slow clap. Nicely done.
V8Aggie
AG
The true hero
92Ag95
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Congrats on lowering yourself to his level.
Irish 2.0
92Ag95 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

If he had respected me and my time enough to have not pulled that **** with me, I would've returned the favor in kind. You want to be an ******* to me while I'm working for you, don't be surprised when stuff like this happens to you. I did nothing unethical or immoral when I left. I gave the standard two weeks. My conscious is clear
Cyp0111
You also come across as a child.
Irish 2.0
Cyp0111 said:

You also come across as a child.
Don't give a rat's ass how I come across over this. Professionally, what did I do wrong? Dick move; sure. But I regret nothing after the way he treated me believing that his personal time was more valuable than mine. Don't authorize my vacation and than renege so you can take your own. If it had been for a personal matter, I'd have been understanding. He was the type of boss that will sit there and wonder why good people leave and he'll never understand because of his own selfish antics
V8Aggie
AG
Irish did nothing wrong given the circumstances. Some of the folks commenting either didn't read what caused his decision or are the crappy boss types this happened to.
92Ag95
AG
V8Aggie said:

Irish did nothing wrong given the circumstances. Some of the folks commenting either didn't read what caused his decision or are the crappy boss types this happened to.
I understand what he did...he took the low road to get back at his boss. Others choose to be governed by a moral compass that is not related to and does not depend on the actions of others. If it's not something you would normally feel good about doing then don't let the actions of someone else change that for you.
V8Aggie
AG
Moral compass or choosing to be walked over? Guy had it coming so screw him.

Irish didn't hurt anyone.
Stymied
AG
Quote:

I got an offer to start July 1 from my current employer and deliberately waited a week until my ex-boss landed in Europe to give my notice.
Quote:

I did nothing unethical or immoral when I left. I gave the standard two weeks.

Sounds like your boss had it coming but don't pat yourself on the back too much acting like you didn't act like an ass in return.
Irish 2.0
AeroAg2003 said:

Quote:

I got an offer to start July 1 from my current employer and deliberately waited a week until my ex-boss landed in Europe to give my notice.
Quote:

I did nothing unethical or immoral when I left. I gave the standard two weeks.

Sounds like your boss had it coming but don't pat yourself on the back too much acting like you didn't act like an ass in return.
I absolutely did. I admitted it was a dick move. It's not something I ever thought I would do or planned on, but the stars aligned and it gave me a last laugh for what he did to me. It isn't something I would ever do to a boss I respected, but he lost mine and he didn't respect me. Turnabout is fair play.
infinity ag
Irish 2.0 said:

92Ag95 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

If he had respected me and my time enough to have not pulled that **** with me, I would've returned the favor in kind. You want to be an ******* to me while I'm working for you, don't be surprised when stuff like this happens to you. I did nothing unethical or immoral when I left. I gave the standard two weeks. My conscious is clear

Irish, I am on your side on this one.
Managers who cannot respect their people don't deserve any respect themselves. I would have quit on his ass and walked out the door leaving him to pick up the pieces.
infinity ag
92Ag95 said:

V8Aggie said:

I understand what he did...he took the low road to get back at his boss. Others choose to be governed by a moral compass that is not related to and does not depend on the actions of others. If it's not something you would normally feel good about doing then don't let the actions of someone else change that for you.

Stop virtue signaling.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I would have done the exact same thing Irish did.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BBRex
AG
If I'm reading it right, it would have ruined his boss's vacation either way. He just waited to break the news. I think I'm with Irish on this one.
Petrino1
I had something like this happen to me recently. I got an offer and then my boss went on a week long vacation. I just turned in my notice to his backup while he was away, the backup guy took care of everything and then informed my boss.

It was all very simple and I had a good relationship with everyone involved. It wouldve been nice to tell my boss directly but I didnt want to bug him on vacation, plus he was camping with minimal reception.
Cromagnum
AG
When I finished grad school and had an offer in May my boss was on summer vacation to Canada until September. He was amazed that I couldn't wait 3 months before I left. I turned in all my stuff and carried on like nothing happened anyways. This was the same boss that would have told any employer asking for a reference that I was no good (to trap me in his research group). Take care of yourself because nobody else will.
infinity ag
Quote:

Take care of yourself because nobody else will.

This is key.
Be selfish because companies are more selfish than you are. I have been called to a room and left go on a moment's notice "because business is not good and we are left with no other option". They do what needs to be done we must do so as well.

I have been left go in a 33% layoff, 6 weeks after I joined a company. One guy was part of the layoff after 3 days of joining. They don't care, neither do I. They can all burn in hell for all I care.
gig em 02
Just to be sure - you give notice after your background checks, etc have all cleared and you are completely signed off by HR. Sometimes that can take a while.

If you give notice with an offer only then it can all fall apart before the paperwork is completed.
Petrino1
gig em 02 said:

Just to be sure - you give notice after your background checks, etc have all cleared and you are completely signed off by HR. Sometimes that can take a while.

If you give notice with an offer only then it can all fall apart before the paperwork is completed.
This is always good advice. But to be fair, an offer can still fall apart after clearing background/drug screen and confirming a start date.
infinity ag
ea1060 said:

gig em 02 said:

This is always good advice. But to be fair, an offer can still fall apart after clearing background/drug screen and confirming a start date.

Yes, but one should reduce that as much as possible.
I once got laid off from my job after 6 weeks when the company did a 33% layoff. One fellow was out after 3 days, he was livid. He had quit a nice job for this company and now had to look again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.