Job Network
Sponsored by

Zoom Job interview tomorrow. Any tips?

5,785 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ulrich
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JamesPShelley said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Reading this thread makes me so glad I left the corporate world.

So much silly BS.

And for any of you thinking about getting out and starting your own business, or whatever, you know it's time when you can't help but call out the BS every time you get the chance.

There's also no such thing as "left the corporate world and started your own business".
That's exactly what I did. Since 2006.

It can, has, and will continue to so be done.

I am am self-employed CPA. I am so happy to say that I don't have to deal with partner/shareholder personalities any more. I still have to deal with clients, but I can, and have, fired clients who make my life difficult.

I highly recommend it.
Astrobo
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Squadron7 said:

Update:

1) Interviewed
2) Got job offer
3) Met again with person hiring to further go over the job. We agreed that I would give my answer by the next day.
4) Called person who had the job previously about the job to ask about the position.
5) Next day, job offer rescinded because person hiring said calling previous occupant was "Going around her".
6) So....giant bullet dodged.

Was this within the company you work for already? How did you know the person who held the position before?
This. How would you know the person who held the position before? Why in the world would you call them? This would be a show stopper if I was the hiring manager as well.
78bc3
AG
If they are a publicly traded company: Go to SEC.gov Look up the company name
On the page providing company information, search for their most recent 10-K report
Using the link on the Filing Detail page access the 10-k report
The Business section can provide a lot of information to help you understand their Business, Goals and challenges.

Look at the camera rather than your screen so you are looking at them.

Send thank you notes
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
oldschool87
AG
Where pants....
NastyNate
Care to expand on your reasoning that this would be a showstopper? I'm not seeing how. Hiring managers can and should call each other about internal hires and can also call each other for external hires if they know people at the other company. Externally, any comments would generally have to be off the record but it still happens. Why can't candidates do this as well? I can't see how a hiring manager could feel that this was a slight to them or that this was somehow circumventing the "process" . I see absolutely no reason at all why contacting someone either in the position or department to get insight to the team and leadership would be a problem. In fact, I actually encourage this. It shows they are thinking about the position outside of a title, pay raise, etc.. Personally, if a hiring manager is going to rescind a job offer over this, they shouldn't be in that position. I'm open to being convinced otherwise but aside from companies that have specific rules against this, I cant see the rationale.
Stymied
AG
What if the person who had the job previously was fired for cause? By calling them, you have potentially just tainted yourself.

I've honestly never heard of someone calling the person whose job you are taking. I'm sure it's happened before but it never would cross my mind. I personally think it has as much of a chance to start the job off on a bad foot as it does a good one.
Ulrich
I'm not as sure about calling the previous holder of the job unless you know they left amicably, but I have absolutely contacted other people who have worked at the company. If they get upset that you're trying to learn about company and culture from someone other than the hiring manager, I'd say that's a pretty big red flag.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.