Job Network
Sponsored by

Zoom Job interview tomorrow. Any tips?

5,780 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ulrich
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interviewing for an interesting position tomorrow on Zoom. Any tips for interviewing online?

Thanks for any help.

Besides pulling a Jeffrey Toobin, I mean. That one I know.
Change Detection
AG
Brush your hair and teeth....

Make sure you have good lighting on the zoom call, so prepare that in advance. Have someone do a practice interview with you and have them ask some surprise questions so you can learn how to deal with those.

Do a quick search on common interview questions and be prepared with those

Practice selling yourself some so you can comfortably talk about your accomplishments
Look at the company online and be familiar with their product/services/etc

Write some questions down that you might have so you can reference those when needed

I wish you well
98Ag99Grad
AG
probably goes without saying but dress like you were meeting in person. Includes wearing pants, lol.
Squadron7
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

probably goes without saying but dress like you were meeting in person. Includes wearing pants, lol.

So....which is it?
beerag04
AG
Set up your camera so that you are looking straight ahead at the interviewer. I have interviewed multiple people that are looking at a side monitor where their video feed is instead of into the camera while speaking. It doesn't bother me in meetings, but it has annoyed me in interviews when it is more important that I see facial expressions.
AggieAces06
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

This! We actually asked candidates if they were wearing pants during a couple of interviews.

Make sure to set up your camera at a straight on angle that is stationary. Looking up people's noses was not pleasant. And if they were using their phones and just holding it, the constant bouncing and moving wasn't good either.

Good luck!
C1NRB
AG
Change Detection said:

Make sure you have good lighting on the zoom call,
This.

Don't be back-lit, side-lit, or overhead-lit. If it means dragging every lamp in the place over to your set-up, do it.

And set up a good background. A plain, unadorned wall is acceptable but boring. Don't make it too busy, either. Make sure there's nothing back there that looks like it's coming out of your head. Remove anything that can be construed. Everyone has their own definition of "construed," but know your audience/industry.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Just pull a Toobin, you'll be fine.
AG
I'd give you points for no pants, frankly. No shirt and smoking a cigarette would be boss as hell, too.
Max06
AG
There's a Zoom setting to "touch up my appearance". It really does help, videoconferences are not friendly to first impressions.
Astroag
AG
have a clean, neutral background. Never know what books you have on your bookshelf (or other items) that could be an issue with someone you are speaking with.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
NastyNate
What an odd thing to bring up during a job interview. Even as a joke. There are other ways to lighten the mood. I agree about wearing a coat and tie but the benefit of interviewing over zoom is that the candidate can feel more comfortable not having to sit in a waiting room and across the table from the interviewers. Shorts or other casual pants are fine. If a prospective employer asks you to stand up or will ding you for wearing shorts during a job interview over zoom, find another employer.
NastyNate
My god. Who the heck has time to focus on books you may have on your bookshelf. Let alone ding someone for it. Just as long as the background isn't the family room where kids or a spouse are walking around you'll be fine.
Ag_07
AG
I've had a couple Zoom interviews and I've dressed from head to toe (shoes and socks included) like I was going in person.

Not that I'm worried that the interviewer will ask me to stand up but because it puts me in interview/business mode. It puts you in that mindset that puts you on your top game.

It's not for them. It's for me.
NastyNate
To each their own. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable during the process.
Farmer1906
AG
I did one a few weeks back.

Make sure you have a strong internet connection.
Make sure the kids and dogs are not going to make a peep.
If you're using a laptop camera, then set your laptop on something to elevate it.
Test your mic and speakers before the interview.
Position their screen near the camera.
Make sure your background is neat.

If there is some glitch or lag, politely ask that they repeat the question. Your internet might be great, but who knows about theirs.

Ulrich
NastyNate said:

My god. Who the heck has time to focus on books you may have on your bookshelf. Let alone ding someone for it. Just as long as the background isn't the family room where kids or a spouse are walking around you'll be fine.

I don't think many people will ask you to zoom in on your bookshelf, but what if you get an interviewer who is very partisan and happens to notice your copy of The Art of the Deal or Dreams from my Father?

It's an easy thing to avoid, so no reason to take the chance. Whether you would actually want to work with someone who makes decisions that way is another question, but I don't think there's any doubt that there are people out there who will factor it in or at least be unable to avoid letting it cloud their judgment.
Astroag
AG
Ulrich said:

NastyNate said:

I don't think many people will ask you to zoom in on your bookshelf, but what if you get an interviewer who is very partisan and happens to notice your copy of The Art of the Deal or Dreams from my Father?

It's an easy thing to avoid, so no reason to take the chance. Whether you would actually want to work with someone who makes decisions that way is another question, but I don't think there's any doubt that there are people out there who will factor it in or at least be unable to avoid letting it cloud their judgment.
This...

Hopefully it wouldn't matter but in today's climate...depending on your politics, it almost certainly would especially if the person you are interviewing with is a person you'd be reporting to or working with on a regular basis.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
one MEEN Ag
AG
Easiest way to get natural lighting is to set up directly facing a window. Have the camera higher than you think. It should be eye level or slightly higher.

For general purpose interview tips, beforehand, have a couple good stories of your contributions lined up and ready to bring up. Think of examples in terms of SMART goals, because thats usually what your goals are going to be when you get to the job. Simple, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time bound.

Also, they're going to ask dumb interview questions like think of overcoming an obstacle, overcoming teammates personalities, etc. So have answers for those that paint you in a good light while not sounding whiny or one sided.

For technical interviews, I always try to stick to the following storyline of examples:
  • discovery of problem
  • finding out root cause of problem/diagnosis
  • proposed range of solutions
  • advantages of proposed solution in terms of improved performance, dollars saved, time saved
  • execution of solution, show how you stuck to original scope and fought off scope creep
  • knowledge sharing/documentation efforts

For engineers, showing how you methodically came to an solution is as important, if not more important than the answer. Because you can get lucky, and the interviewers don't really care about how that project example turned out. They are trying to see if your success stories show you can learn how to drive success on their problems.
Z3phyr
AggieAces06 said:

98Ag99Grad said:

This! We actually asked candidates if they were wearing pants during a couple of interviews.

Make sure to set up your camera at a straight on angle that is stationary. Looking up people's noses was not pleasant. And if they were using their phones and just holding it, the constant bouncing and moving wasn't good either.

Good luck!
No hire if they are wearing pants, means they waste time and resources on unnecessary tasks
Jack Klompus
AG
I interviewed a guy on 9:30 on a Monday morning. Looked like he had just rolled out of bed and had on a t-shirt. He said he knows getting up early for a 9:30 interview is hard, and he thanked me for my time early on a Monday morning. He didn't get the job.

I didn't tell him I had been up since 5:30 and at the office since 7.
500,000ags
AG
I interviewed a lot during COVID. I'd suggest wearing AirPods or another type of mic/headphone. Communication is tough enough without a cheap mic causing a delay, reverb, or inaudible speech.
Post removed:
by user
JamesPShelley
Ulrich said:

NastyNate said:

... but what if you get an interviewer who is very partisan and happens to notice your copy of The Art of the Deal or Dreams from my Father?

I'd literally tell them to FO.
Farmer1906
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Ulrich said:

NastyNate said:

... but what if you get an interviewer who is very partisan and happens to notice your copy of The Art of the Deal or Dreams from my Father?

I'd literally tell them to FO.
You wouldn't know. You just wouldn't hear back.
78bc3
AG
Lighting is important.
Sound quality should be checked.
Position the camera in front and slightly above you.
Place a target by the camera to remind you to maintain eye contact.
Listen more than you talk.
Make sure to have 6-10 questions prepared, from your research on their company, written down and handy. They will answer some during the interview, but it will leave you with a few to use.
Make sure you are familiar with the resume you submitted, that's critical when using focused resumes. Also some people that use resume writers and forget what they submitted.
Smile.
Send a Thank You Note.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AG
Reading this thread makes me so glad I left the corporate world.

So much silly BS.

And for any of you thinking about getting out and starting your own business, or whatever, you know it's time when you can't help but call out the BS every time you get the chance.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Wear a tuxedo t-shirt.

Good luck. Let me know what they say!
combat wombat™
AG
Honestly, if the the reading material on my bookshelf negatively impacts an interviewer's decision to offer me a job then I'm going to consider myself better off not getting that job. I don't want to work with people who are so deranged that they would choose not to offer the best, or a well-qualified, candidate a position because they had a book on their bookshelf that they didn't agree with. It seems that would be a miserable place to work.
Ulrich
I agree when things are going well and you're already employed, but some people have been out of work for a long time and don't have the luxury of passing on job opportunities.
Squadron7
AG
Update:

1) Interviewed
2) Got job offer
3) Met again with person hiring to further go over the job. We agreed that I would give my answer by the next day.
4) Called person who had the job previously about the job to ask about the position.
5) Next day, job offer rescinded because person hiring said calling previous occupant was "Going around her".
6) So....giant bullet dodged.
NastyNate
#6 x1000.

Sucks you wasted your time and it didn't work out.
diehard03
Quote:

So much silly BS.

And for any of you thinking about getting out and starting your own business, or whatever, you know it's time when you can't help but call out the BS every time you get the chance.

Yeah, the fear of political retribution is a bit much, but most of this stuff is just doing the bare minimum to sell yourself and/or taking stock in how you appear on a camera. I'd hardly call it BS.

There's also no such thing as "left the corporate world and started your own business". If you're hiring someone, you will have your own standard of silliness. All that BS exists for a reason, and you will have your own.
AtlAg05
AG
Squadron7 said:

Update:

1) Interviewed
2) Got job offer
3) Met again with person hiring to further go over the job. We agreed that I would give my answer by the next day.
4) Called person who had the job previously about the job to ask about the position.
5) Next day, job offer rescinded because person hiring said calling previous occupant was "Going around her".
6) So....giant bullet dodged.

Was this within the company you work for already? How did you know the person who held the position before?
JamesPShelley
diehard03 said:

Quote:

So much silly BS.

There's also no such thing as "left the corporate world and started your own business".
That's exactly what I did. Since 2006.

It can, has, and will continue to so be done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.