What math should i take?

2,655 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HowdyAgs!
FTA_CO2022
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i am horrible at math. Q-dropped math 131 & 142. Ive looked at maybe 167 "explorations in math". I am currently taking PHIL 240 because i was told it would count ( i have an email from one advisor saying so), but my other advisor just told me that it was a complete lie. Please help. this will be my second semester of junior year so i dont have long left. Thanks & Gig 'Em
one MEEN Ag
AG
FTA_CO2022 said:

i am horrible at math. Q-dropped math 131 & 142. Ive looked at maybe 167 "explorations in math". I am currently taking PHIL 240 because i was told it would count ( i have an email from one advisor saying so), but my other advisor just told me that it was a complete lie. Please help. this will be my second semester of junior year so i dont have long left. Thanks & Gig 'Em
When you were a freshman, they released a big book of the classes you need to take and what substitutions could count. Go find that, it'll tell you everything your department will allow.

What is your major? Are you trying to graduate with a bachelor of science or arts? Does your degree have a dual path you could switch out of?

Last ditch effort, take that letter to your dean and get them to rule on it.

As a side note, how does PHIL 240 fulfill the same criteria as a math class? Is it a logic course?

Best of luck. had my own share of bad counselors. You need everything in writing and be prepared to be the squeaky wheel. Thats the only way to get the grease.
SwissAgg
AG
Is it possible to transfer in from Blinn? How about something like Intro to Algebra?
histag10
AG
Yes, you can transfer classes from Blinn; however, i believe intro to algebra is a remedial math class that wont count towards any degree at tamu. As a history major, i was required to take 6 hours of business math. Hopefully they havent lowered standards since then.
one MEEN Ag
AG
As a side note FTA, people who are 'horrible at math' usually just haven't been exposed to good, sound teaching. Whatever math you take, I would assume that Khan Academy online has free videos explaining the subjects you need help on.

nickbor34
I started to study algebra with Thomas Beer's book "Entertaining Algebra". I can recommend that you read a nonfiction essay https://studyhippo.com/essay-use-of-math-in-daily-life/ about developing your math skills and applying math in your life. This will motivate you to learn Algebra and Analytical Mathematics.
HowdyAgs!
Three Aggies in our family took the easiest Core Math Courses...Math 166 and PHIL 240, if ur Degree Plan allows them. Blinn offers them also. Spartan Tutoring was a huge help also! Gig 'em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.