A&M waiving ACT/SAT ?

8,179 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TriAg2010
Another Doug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, for out of state coalition schools, should we use coalition or something else?
AvantGarde_CollegePrep
I would use the Common App if at all possible. Infinitely better than the Coalition App and is used by a much larger set of schools.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
According to an article I read, this is a temporary suspension due to COVID? I've read pretty much all Texas Universities are doing this, including tu, A&M, Baylor, and Tech.

When will the SAT/ACT requirement be reinstated, if that has been decided yet?
CowtownEng
TAMUAdmissions said:

Even in the past, the ACT/SAT score would just be one of the factors listed above for those in review.

If I remember correctly, at one point in time apllicants were considered an auto-admit if they were top quarter and received a 1300 or higher. Why not just revise this acceptance criteria rather than removing it entirely?
Troy91
AG
Part of the problem is getting a location to take a test.

My senior in high school was cancelled out of the ACT test in July when multiple locations were removed from the list due to the pandemic. They chose who was allowed to take that test and removed any ability to register for a new date.

He has still not been able to register for another ACT test as that window did not open until today.

Luckily, he is still on track with the SAT test that is soon.
Diyala Nick
AG
This seems like a delightfully sneaky way to raise A&M's average SAT score.
lovinlife
My son took his first SAT test in February of this year. We did it mainly as a "practice test" to identify areas for improvement. We submitted it to A&M never realizing Covid would be in our future, or the fact that he would never have had the opportunity to take it again since the previous 3 tests we have signed him up
For have all been cancelled. Now I regret sending the test scores to a TAMU since you are no longer requiring them and I feel that they will be a hindrance. Can we call the admissions office and ask that they do not review his SAT test scores and rather look at his GPA and class rank? Thank you.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Texas A&M encourages you to send your test scores if you have them. Test scores will only be used to benefit you in the admission process. You will not be penalized for low test scores or no test scores.
CowtownEng
Considering the official post just above mine, it appears that this is indeed correct. That is some impressive insight!

Diyala Nick said:

This seems like a delightfully sneaky way to raise A&M's average SAT score.

Spider69
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA) and everything submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc. Although now optional, students may continue to submit standardized scores from their SAT and/or ACT tests for consideration for admission. Submission of tests scores will not create any unfair advantage or disadvantage for those students who provide them.

He can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.

Is the application rating different for transfers from TAMU System schools?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
The above info is for freshmen applicants only. Transfer decisions are made by the individual academic department where you wish to study. They generally focus on GPA and completion of the courses on their course sheet by the deadline to apply (compared to other applicants). Further details can be seen at https://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/admitted
Brian DeSpain
When I was in high school my graduation class was 1200 people at TWHS. Top 10-20% was usually the percentile you had to be in to be considered for A&M or UT. SAT scores were very important. I scored well on ACT but not on the SAT. Went oos to Florida State but ended up transferring to A&M. Crazy how things have changed
TriAg2010
AG
They really should just set a minimum SAT/ACT score and then straight lottery the admits. The concept of review admissions is such a joke. Who cares about class rank, sob story essays, and b.s. extracurriculars.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.