TAMU decision PSA

8,263 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgFan1999
Snapdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy all! My son was offered TAMU admission with PSA. However, his major of choice (Visualization) is not one of the majors participating in the program this year. (Viz was offered last year; this is new development for 2019-2020). His choices now are to go to a PSA institution and change his major OR go to any school (Blinn included) and then apply for transfer into A&M Viz next year. I think the transfer option is a long shot anyway since transfer spots are few in number.

Does anyone have any advice? He really does not want to change his major, so I'm thinking Blinn/apply for transfer is the best option.

I also wonder about the appeal process, which he can try. Is this wishful thinking?

TAMUAdmissions
AG
Appeals are rarely granted. If he can provide documentation of a major medical reason that affected his academic performance that he did not reveal before (and the reason why he declined to do that), that would be one reason. His school providing incorrect grades would be another reason why an appeal would be considered.

If he does what he is supposed to do with PSA, he has guaranteed admission to the main campus in one year. If he decides to wait and apply as a transfer, he first has to have completed 24 graded, transferable hours by the deadline to apply. In addition, it can be very competitive to apply as a transfer with no guarantee of being accepted (unlike PSA).

It is correct that Visualization will not be participating any longer in PSA so trying to come to A&M as a transfer would be his only option to be in that major. If he goes that route, he can later submit a portfolio to Visualization of his work in the meantime.

He can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 to discuss what is best for his situation.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I'm not sure if there are any other programs in the College of Architecture that participate in PSA, but you might consider that. If your son took care of business at the system school, got admitted for a major at A&M (say COSC, for example) and then took care of business at A&M for a semester or two, he would have a shot at changing majors from COSC to Viz. I can't speak for other departments, but my department views change of majors within A&M more favorably than transfers. A 3.33 at A&M is more impressive than a 3.5 at a community college. The risk of course is if he is admitted to COSC and ends up not being accepted to Viz down the road and he's stuck majoring in something that wasn't his first choice. If going to A&M is his top priority, then the PSA route is the way to go. He gets clear criteria set before him and he's guaranteed admission if he meets it. Transferring is a crap shoot that depends on how much space is available and how much competition there is.
Snapdragon
Thank you very much for the info and advice. You've both helped clarify that doing the PSA route would be better than the Blinn/transfer. I also contacted the Viz dept and they were helpful as well, but offered little hope of future transfer (but didn't rule it out).
Duncan Idaho
Was he accepted into any other schools with a similar program? Because that is the route I would go.
double b
AG
Yes, did he apply to any other schools? Those options seem very limited for his area of interest. There are several programs out there that have excellent undergrad programs.
Duncan Idaho
Yeah. The op makes it seem like the kid is going to school be an Aggie that happens to major in Viz and not a visual artist that is lucky enough to be out of the a&m program.

If his goal is to be an Aggie and it is a bonus if he gets into the Viz program then go try one of these routes but pick a major that he would be willing to continue studying and will land him a job.

If the goal is to go get into field, then look at other schools with similar programs.
Jengls
My son and several classmates were offered PSA - he accepted PSA, Majority of the kids he knows did not. They applied as transfer and have been accepted and PSA has to wait for final grades and there is very little communication about PSA on his current campus or from TAMU. If he had the choice to make again - he would not accept PSA. Until he has his grades he cannot register for classes - get sports pass etc. it is frustrating to be in limbo. After he provides his final grades - we have no idea how long the acceptance process will take and TAMU cannot tell us the time period. So we wait.
histag10
AG
Jengls said:

My son and several classmates were offered PSA - he accepted PSA, Majority of the kids he knows did not. They applied as transfer and have been accepted and PSA has to wait for final grades and there is very little communication about PSA on his current campus or from TAMU. If he had the choice to make again - he would not accept PSA. Until he has his grades he cannot register for classes - get sports pass etc. it is frustrating to be in limbo. After he provides his final grades - we have no idea how long the acceptance process will take and TAMU cannot tell us the time period. So we wait.

The kids who will be transferring in are not able to do those things yet either.
AgFan1999
AG
Freshmen are applying for transfer admissions?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.