A Class Rank #1 and a 35 ACT.....

17,781 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quinn
texag_89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
....does go as far as you would think it would regarding scholarships.

Texag_89 Jr (Class of '17) has busted is A$$ for years now studying – and achieving the #1 rank in his class - and participating and winning just about every regional and state UIL award from Computer Science to Math to Debate to Tennis to Class President to Student Body President - no kid works more hours - however because his parents - Mr. and Mrs. Texag_89 - have busted their A$$es to make a good living for their children to save a bit for retirement and college for he and his sister, scholarship money is still hard to come by........

Should he be punished because his grandparents - Class of '62 - have saved for their grandchildren's education? Should the fact that he is probably falls into the "privileged socio-economic class" cause his extreme effort and God-given ability to just be ignored when it comes to scholarships and funding of his education?

I say no (being one whom has the old-fashion belief that Merit is the true “level playing field”), but the society we live in now says, that other kid over there that has not worked near as hard, but does not have the "means" - as if I can really fund my retirement, his education AND his sister's education on my somewhat above-middle class income - and to he!! with Merit!!

Sorry, but when my kid says (after interviewing with and receiving his rejection letter by a large foundation scholarship touted by TAMU and other big state schools) "I should have coasted and had more fun in high school like some of my smart friends and I would be about in the same place now financially for TAMU".......... It is about enough to make you question things and cry at the same time. He even heard in the before mentioned interview: “must be really nice to have such nice and rich relatives!!!!” Wow... Yep, they saved up a dozen or so thousand dollars over 20 years to help their grandchildren/great-nephew/great-niece with a little of their education – Rich my A$$!

'17 will make it through...In fact, he will be one of the best damn EE majors to ever go through the best damn University in the World; and when he does, and he along with his folks, grandparents and aunt whom all help to fund that ride, he will then appreciate it that much more.

In fact, there will be a Merit-based ONLY scholarship set up in his name one day - or maybe in '62’s name: "Come Rich, come poor, bring only your talent, your efforts, your God-given abilities and leave your damn FASFA Scores and W-2s at Home!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.

_89

AgCrag
Lulz
tamutaylor12
Solid rant.
Quito
AG
Hate this...story of our lives. It's immoral and shameful. Keep his chin up, one day he will do a much better job in the work force and get passed up for a minority or female with lesser skills...happens daily in corporate America.

"I wanted to move to the country where poor people were fat" - Dinesh D'Souza
OldArmy71
AG
I hear you.
AgAllStar91
I'm so glad I have a normal dad
YokelRidesAgain
AG
A&M has competitive scholarships (e.g., the President's Endowed Scholarship) that aren't need based at all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
texag_89
Yoke,

He has been awarded one of those and another through TAMU and he/we are grateful for those as they will help most definitely.

_89

DougMasters
AG
quote:
He has been awarded one of those and another through TAMU and he/we are grateful for those as they will help most definitely.

So are you just mad that he wasn't awarded the Terry Scholarship? My understanding is that TAMU typically has less than 10 Terry Scholars in each Freshman class (out of 8,500 total). I definitely understand your frustration, but I think it's a little unfair to arbitrarily say that none of the Terry Scholars (or other award recipients) are as strong an applicant as your son. I visit with students every day that have very similar credentials to your son. Just my $0.02 worth.
texag_89
quote:
So are you just mad that he wasn't awarded the Terry Scholarship? My understanding is that TAMU typically has less than 10 Terry Scholars in each Freshman class (out of 8,500 total). I definitely understand your frustration, but I think it's a little unfair to arbitrarily say that none of the Terry Scholars (or other award recipients) are as strong an applicant as your son. I visit with students every day that have very similar credentials to your son. Just my $0.02 worth.

So are you just mad that he wasn't awarded the Terry Scholarship?
- Never said it was the Terry and there have been several full-ride opportunities where he was denied interviews strictly on a "needs" (or a perceived non-need) basis.
- Mad is not really the word as much as frustrated and a feeling of disbelief and helplessness.

My understanding is that TAMU typically has less than 10 Terry Scholars in each Freshman class (out of 8,500 total).
- According to the Terry Catalog (a nice, glossy prospectus-like catalog sent to the candidate once he/she is invited as a finalist for an interview) there were many more Terry winner per class for TAMU over the last 5-10 years.
- And, the Terry itself claims (in writing) 1 in 2 of every interview will receive some sort of award/aid.
- Neither my son nor his 2 classmates received anything which bucks Terry's own numbers.
- If my son was rejected on a "non-need" basis, then maybe the foundation and others should ask for your financials upfront - like they do your academics and extracurriculars - so they can only interview those that are "truly" eligible for their scholarship.... Again based on their requirements.

I definitely understand your frustration, but I think it's a little unfair to arbitrarily say that none of the Terry Scholars (or other award recipients) are as strong an applicant as your son.
- Maybe I was a bit arbitrary above on my statement, however it has become a repetitive theme for my son when "need" is part of the requirements (which seems to be north of 80-90% of scholarships now) he has not been awarded one.
- When need is not part of the requirements and it is based solely on Merit, then he has been awarded a scholarship - partial or whole award - over 75% of the time

I visit with students every day that have very similar credentials to your son.
- As a hiring manager in the past, I have as well..... What is it you do that puts you in front of students of this caliber daily?????

Just my $0.02 worth.
- Fair enough.

_89
tamutaylor12
How many in the high school class?
TyHolden
AG
you need another son? i want to go to grad school. i may be older than you but i'll call you dad and everything. how about it?
George08
AG

[This message has been edited by George08 (edited 4/23/2013 4:43p).]
agnerd
AG
This is the reason Alabama and Oklahoma are able to steal so many National Merit scholars from Texas. They pretty much offer any National Merit scholar a free ride. (With that ACT, I'm guessing this kid is national merit) If I didn't qualify for need-based and merit-based scholarships at A&M, I probably would've left the state. I wasn't even national merit and still got offered free rides.
agnerd
AG
There's no reason a kid with that resume shouldn't go to college for free. PES, National Merit, and Valedictorian used to pretty much cover the costs before deregulation when everything cost under $10k. Sounds like your kid has gotten every merit-based scholarship A&M awards.

Now he needs to apply to all the private organizations. Check with the College of Engineering and EE programs and professional societies. If he has a job, check with his employer. Also check with your employer and your wife's employer for scholarship opportunities. Civic orgs, service orgs, banks, churches, and even the elementary he attended might give out scholarships. National and State organizations also give out money. Again, with that resume he'll have a good chance at getting anything (merit based) he applies for.
DougMasters
AG
quote:
So are you just mad that he wasn't awarded the Terry Scholarship?
- Never said it was the Terry and there have been several full-ride opportunities where he was denied interviews strictly on a "needs" (or a perceived non-need) basis.
- Mad is not really the word as much as frustrated and a feeling of disbelief and helplessness.

My bad, I assumed incorrectly. The Terry Foundation Scholarship is the only one I can think of that TAMU offers that requires an interview (the Craig Brown scholarship might too, but I'm not sure).

quote:
My understanding is that TAMU typically has less than 10 Terry Scholars in each Freshman class (out of 8,500 total).
- According to the Terry Catalog (a nice, glossy prospectus-like catalog sent to the candidate once he/she is invited as a finalist for an interview) there were many more Terry winner per class for TAMU over the last 5-10 years.
- And, the Terry itself claims (in writing) 1 in 2 of every interview will receive some sort of award/aid.

You are correct; I checked with my sources at TAMU and we typically have 50-60 Terry Scholars each year.

quote:
I definitely understand your frustration, but I think it's a little unfair to arbitrarily say that none of the Terry Scholars (or other award recipients) are as strong an applicant as your son.
- Maybe I was a bit arbitrary above on my statement, however it has become a repetitive theme for my son when "need" is part of the requirements (which seems to be north of 80-90% of scholarships now) he has not been awarded one.
- When need is not part of the requirements and it is based solely on Merit, then he has been awarded a scholarship - partial or whole award - over 75% of the time

I'm still waiting to hear from my sources at TAMU regarding the number/percentage of non need-based scholarships they offer.

quote:
I visit with students every day that have very similar credentials to your son.
- As a hiring manager in the past, I have as well..... What is it you do that puts you in front of students of this caliber daily?????

I work for TAMU; I don't see a valedictorian every day, but I do visit with students who have high class ranks/high test scores, plus accolades similar to the ones you mentioned (SBP, Eagle Scout, NHS, state/regional/national awards, varsity athletes, etc.). All I'm trying to point out is that the competition is fierce, both for admission and for scholarships. There were 18,000 students who were considered for scholarships this year and TAMU only awarded 3,000 (approximately). Even though your son didn't receive a full ride, he is definitely in the minority by being awarded a scholarship.

I'm glad to hear he'll be joining us this fall and I hope he can receive some continuing scholarships as he progresses through his academic career.

[This message has been edited by DougMasters (edited 4/24/2013 6:24a).]
VanZandt92
Did you really expect a free ride? Just curious
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Your son can be in debt like the rest of us and LIKE IT!
20-12th Man
AG
Congrats to your kid for all of his accomplishments. He will get everything he deserves in due time if he stays humble and keeps working hard. You should be very proud.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
There's no reason a kid with that resume shouldn't go to college for free. PES, National Merit, and Valedictorian used to pretty much cover the costs before deregulation when everything cost under $10k.

He certainly can go to college for free...he just can't go to Texas A&M for free.

Perhaps he should be able to do so. For whatever reason, the Texas government has not seen fit to hand out full ride scholarships to its flagship institutions based solely on academic merit. Yes, you can get into OU and pay nothing, or next to it, but there is a cost associated with going to a lesser school (no offense to OU, but it is a lesser engineering school than TAMU)--and that cost likely exceeds the extra cost of paying for a portion of in-state tuition at A&M.

There are two ways to look at this:

1) A&M is a very good value, and the reduction in cost from the scholarships makes it a better value still for your son.

2) It may be late for this, but take it as an insult and try to go to (or transfer to) a better school (and again no offense, but A&M isn't the best engineering school in the country...there are certain doors that only open to people with degrees from the likes of MIT, Caltech and Stanford), and let admissions know that they need to step up and offer better deals if they want to retain elite talent who can get offers from academically superior schools.
mpezll
AG
Okay first I am going to be as nice as I can in this response but since you posted it I feel like there are some good discussion points.

First, congrats to your son. It sounds like he worked his butt off and it shows. He should be proud of those accomplishments and so should you (which I know you are otherwise you would not have posted this)

Now to my discussion:

quote:
A Class Rank #1 and a 35 ACT

In 2010, there were 1,721 high schools in Texas. That means 1,721 students ranked number 1. I knew quite a few people that received perfect scores on their ACT/SAT. Although, incredible and a great accomplishment you must look at the bigger picture. He is going into a major with a strong crop of in and out of state students. Most likely he is not the only one with these staggering numbers.

quote:
after interviewing with and receiving his rejection letter by a large foundation scholarship touted by TAMU and other big state schools

So he got ONE rejection letter from a large foundation scholarship and now wishes he just coasted through school. He should be focused on earning other private scholarships. Most of my scholarships were private and came from church, service organizations, and even my town pitched in a couple bucks.

The way I see it you should be happy that you and your family were able to save up the money. At least he will come out of college with a great major and no debt. I was fortunate to experience that as well, but many are not so lucky.

quote:
Never said it was the Terry

quote:
According to the Terry Catalog

I was guessing it was this as well and it sounds like he did interview with them

quote:
And, the Terry itself claims (in writing) 1 in 2 of every interview will receive some sort of award/aid.
- Neither my son nor his 2 classmates received anything which bucks Terry's own numbers.

Lets say they interviewed 16 people. Your son and his two friends equal 3 people. If they gave it to 8 people (16-8 means 8 people did not receive it) therefore there is certainly a chance that just all three did not get it and if your sons credentials did not get it would you expect people with less merit too?

quote:
Terry Scholars are selected based on three criteria: (1) leadership potential and character; (2) scholastic record and ability; and (3) financial need. Each of these criteria is weighed equally and independently.

It states right on the website. What did you expect honestly? It is weighed equally and is 1/3 of the criteria.

agnerd gave an excellent suggestion.

and this
quote:
Now he needs to apply to all the private organizations. Check with the College of Engineering and EE programs and professional societies. If he has a job, check with his employer. Also check with your employer and your wife's employer for scholarship opportunities. Civic orgs, service orgs, banks, churches, and even the elementary he attended might give out scholarships. National and State organizations also give out money. Again, with that resume he'll have a good chance at getting anything (merit based) he applies for.

If he does this he can make up a good chunk of the money. Yes, it involves work, essays, interviews, but clearly he is motivated.

Just my viewpoint on the subject. It was not my intention to put you or your son down just wanted to show the bigger picture. There are numerous other avenues to pursue instead of being mad at a large foundation that supports those in need.

Best of luck to your son in the future.
sawthemoffxx
I was offered scholarship money and my parents turned it down because they said there were people that needed it more than me. Guess I am a crappy son!!
OnlyForNow
AG
Once your kid turns 16 you should make them file their own taxes.

They would make them independent from their parents and therefore not associated with the parents income status.

If they are going to screw people out of scholarships then the screwing should go both ways.

A kid who has no financial backing, is all on his own, and has those grades/scores is basically guaranteed a full ride. Throw on a little brown blush before an interview and viola, you've just added diversity to your awesome list of accomplishments.
Dad
AG
quote:
Once your kid turns 16 you should make them file their own taxes.

They would make them independent from their parents and therefore not associated with the parents income status.

If they are going to screw people out of scholarships then the screwing should go both ways.

A kid who has no financial backing, is all on his own, and has those grades/scores is basically guaranteed a full ride. Throw on a little brown blush before an interview and viola, you've just added diversity to your awesome list of accomplishments.

That wouldn't work. He could do a murder/suicide to make the kid an orphan or encourage his kid to have a child or get married while in high school. Those things would allow him to exclude income from his parents on his FAFSA.
BusAg
AG
/\

Wow
Gigemchicken90
AG
quote:
I was offered scholarship money and my parents turned it down because they said there were people that needed it more than me. Guess I am a crappy son!!

My brother did something similar with his kids. They basically didn't apply if anywhere on it talked about need. He knew it was not worth their effort to write essays and interview because they were blessed that they had a grand-father that saved for them. He told his boys & girl that their were many others that "needed" it more but they did get a ton based on merit through their FFA activities and local scholarships. The money is there it just takes effort.

AgMechEngr
Welcome to the club. #7 of out 747 in high school here. When my high school announced all the scholarships that the top 10 people received,all I heard were crickets after my name was called. I felt the same way as your son, thinking I could have tried half as hard, had more fun, and been in the same position. The worst part is, it doesn't stop in high school. I've seen people have terrible work ethic in my major and somehow end up with the best jobs. Life isn't fair. You just have to realize that you tried your best and you should be proud of the work you've done and not compare it to others.
OnlyForNow
AG
Master, how is a dependent 17-18 year old connected to parents wealth? What if he doesn't know his dad is a millionaire, but actually is?

The university has no right to request tax audits or wage slips from the parents to determine if they need help.

I guess I you don't submit the required paperwork your application isn't complete? But really what if your parents are estranged but not divorced and the father is secreting away money that the mother and kid don't know about, but is taxed income?
TheMasterplan
Not saying I don't disagree with what you're saying but there will be people that receive the aid your son failed to get with a less impressive resume but they'll still get an engineering degree from Texas A&M.

So I wouldn't say the scholarship would be going to waste. There just are some people that need it more. I do understand your frustrated with people confusing smart investing with "being rich."

I was fortunate thanks to my parents to graduate with no debt and there are people that work very hard in school to get grades but also have to work a job, take care of family etc. So they're unable to participate in the extracurriculars that your kid has participated in.
canadianAg
AG
DougMasters
AG
quote:
1) A&M is a very good value, and the reduction in cost from the scholarships makes it a better value still for your son.

Great point; not only is TAMU a good value, but Aggies are highly sought after. Check out this WSJ article from a couple of years ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704554104575435563989873060.html
C5Aggie03
AG
Yawn....

Welcome to college. There are several in this same category and some won't even pass Calculus I.

I sat next to the valedectorian of her school and she couldn't crack a 30 in engineering calculus, true story.
GarlandAg2012
AG
This thread makes me wonder how I ended up with a full ride and then some. Pretty sure I didn't demonstrate financial need
TexasAggie73
AG
My daughter was also number 1 in her high school out of a class of 250 she got some money from A&M but not much and lost some as her 4 years went by. She made 1 B and the rest A's. her hard work did pay off in that she was admitted to a phd program at utDallas and is getting a free ride there plus a stipen
KALALL
AG
Maybe your son had a bad day and blew the interview? If the interviewers don't like how the perspective scholar comes across he/she could have cured cancer and still not get the scholarship. The Terry Foundation looks at a lot more characteristics than just academic aptitude. Be thankful for what your son has accomplished and that he had the chance to even interview for the scholarship, that's a lot more than most. I'm sure he'll succeed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.