Observations Regarding Long-standing Canadian Attitudes Toward the USA

4,613 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by GenericAggie
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have seen quite a few threads on this site that incorporate thoughts on recent Canadian behaviors toward Americans. Many of them express some form of surprise or the belief that Canadian disdain for the USA is a recent phenomenon. My personal experience dating back to living there in the early 90's is that Canadian disdain for Americans and the USA as a country is long-standing.

First, my background with Canada. I lived in Canada for a couple of years back in the early 90's working for a very large British company. Specifically, I lived and worked in Toronto. I travelled the areas between Niagara and Ottawa pretty extensively. I dated and travelled with Canadian women. I later worked for one of the largest and most respected corporations in Canada with quite a lot of Canadian colleagues in various countries while living in various locations around the world. For years, I spent a few days a month in Montreal and lived just south of the Canadian border for about a year at one time. A former assistant secretary/minister of ____________ for Canada is a very close friend...I held his dog last year outside the polling location while he and his wife went inside and voted for Carney. I get weekly texts from Canadian friends complaining about our king/dictator.

I feel like I have a pretty decent take on the evolving attitudes of Canadians toward Americans. Here are a few observations of things I ran into at least a couple of decades ago:

- Canadians who were strangers would often jump into an unsolicited conversation at fast food restaurants if I requested a glass of ice. No arguments, no uncomfortableness....just a curt "you know this is Canada and we don't use much ice and you Americans need to realize that when you are in Canada."

- A constant barrage of unsolicited observations on why Canada is so much better than the USA and criticisms of the USA without their having spent any significant amount of time in Canada.

- I once stopped and through a Canadian out of my car on the way to a Saint Patrick's Day party who insisted that the USA entered WWII for no reason other than economic gain.

- I once sat at a small dinner table and listened to the CEO of one of Canada's largest corporations tell a table full of Europeans that the USA was full of itself and needed to be put in it's place.

- I laughed as many Canadians explained to me that Canada's nuclear defense policy was a large array of neon arrows across the northern provinces pointing south toward the USA. That is pretty funny and of course he was just joking.

- One of the funniest things would be that nothing in Canada could be described without the term "the_______ of Canada using a USA icon as part of the description. For example...the Harvard of Canada. The Florida of Canada. The New York City of Canada. The Yellowstone of Canada. The General Motors of Canada. Never just the name of the the thing.

- Time and time again...I was reminded that "Canada won the War of 1812 and burned the USA capital."

- Finally, I really do love Canada. Excepting recent arrivals....they are wonderful people who share many of our values. They are kind and loyal. However....they do have a long-standing jealously toward their big brother that isn't uncommon in many families. Much of it is totally human....I mean, I just used the term "big brother" that regardless of its accuracy is always irritating to the "little brother" in the relationship.

Well, they finally have a champion of their angst toward the USA in Carney and he is milking this long-standing resentment/jealousy/anger/frustration at the expense of Canadian citizens. Don't be fooled into believing that these sudden emotions toward the USA are a new phenomenon....they just finally have a mouthpiece that knows/knew how to exploit those emotions for maximum political gain. And of course....Trump's New York bravado toward all things....including Canadian politicians....played into that strategy for Carney. More evidence that Trump isn't really a politician at heart.

As for the specifics on politics....I always answer their texts with one simple reply. "I hate tariffs. I hope one day soon there will be zero tariffs between the USA and Canada." Never a response...not once....to my reply.

evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
they are just mad b/c cigarettes and beer are cheaper in the USA!
oldord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Typical little brother behavior
Funky Winkerbean
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All you had to say is they are French.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Funky Winkerbean said:

All you had to say is they are French.

My take is the mid and western Canadians have always been closer to mid and western Americans. It is Quebec that has always looked down on U.S. and any other English speaking country.
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

All you had to say is they are French.

There is definitely an element of unwarranted confidence in the Quebec psyche that often results in poor decisions taken.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
doubledog said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

All you had to say is they are French.

My take is the mid and western Canadians have always been closer to mid and western Americans. It is Quebec that has always looked down on U.S. and any other English speaking country.

And the French (real French from France) make tons of jokes and look down their noses at the Quebecois. They are unapologetic about how they portray and think of Quebec.
bobbranco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They can take their crap lumber and shove it.


No amount of logic is going to convince the illogical that orange man isn't so bad that we should all vote for socialists in 2026. He wants to vote for a socialist who wants to kill the O&G industry, dismantle capitalism, open the borders, ban guns, legalize abortion up to birth, allow men to play girls sports and hang out in women's locker rooms, and pay for trans surgeries for little kids. SIGNED txags92
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
- Time and time again...I was reminded that "Canada won the War of 1812 and burned the USA capital."

We haven't forgotten. That debt has just been accruing interest.
aTm '99
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sister married a Canadian 25 years ago and emigrated to Ottawa and I have been visiting off and on every few years since and have had similar experiences.

When I first began traveling there it was mainly the Liberals with the obnoxious takes and observations about the US. When someone asked where I was from and I said Texas they would often immediately insult George Bush then ask me about the death penalty and guns. Someone mentioned that their brother was possibly moving to Central TX and asked about it and the economy and I answered that there was a lot of high tech in the area and a liberal lady hearing that scoffed like it was the dumbest thing she had ever heard and it was obvious she thought Texas was only oil and ranching.

While I stood waiting at a gate at the Toronto airport after we invaded Afghanistan a French Canadian man next to me was leafing through a copy of Maclean's and assumed I was Canadian and he leaned over and showed me the article he was reading and said to me " you see this is why the Americans went to war with Afghanistan, to take over their heroin trade."

25 years ago my experience was a 50/50 mix between what we would call a classic Liberal and the moderate conservatives. The liberals had no problems at all telling me what was wrong with my country and those on the right held a generally favorable view with curiosity. That has obviously changed over the last 10 years and I won't travel there any longer. My last visit was my niece's HS graduation and at least 50% of the graduates were from Indian or the ME. The entire back row of the auditorium was women in burquas and when Muslim names were called they broke out into that tongue rolling yodeling thing they do.

The major constant I have seen in all the years from both sides of the political spectrum in Canada is they are obsessed with US politics. I have never visited and not had random people opine to me about our President and noteworthy leaders. I have been asked "do you know what people in Canada and across the world think about your president? They think he's a joke" and I had to respond with "do you know what Americans think about yours? They don't."


I did have an interesting experience visiting Montreal when I visited as a bachelor. My BIL had a French Canadian buddy and I went with him to Montreal and he showed me the city and a tour of their strip clubs. We stopped off in a dark bar and were having some drinks next to a large table of frenchies speaking in hushed tones. The guy I was with was eavesdropping and the other table noticed and waved us over. They were a secessionist group that met up weekly to discuss the movement which apparently is very real.
88Warrior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep"
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do quite a bit of work in Canada, and have lots of experience with them as well. Despite our disagreements recently, I love Canada and Canadian people.

My observation is that Canada is absolutely NOT homogenous in their view of the United States. They are very much like us, where people from San Fran and NY are going to have a different opinion than people from Texas and Florida.

The Western side of Canada is actually pro-US, and the eastern side is not. The French Canadians are their own thing, and they are very anti-everyone else, including the US. If your experience is primarily Toronto/East, you're definitely going to receive more negative/argumentative opinions.

Travel to Calgary, and you'll likely get a warm reception. Travel to Montreal, and you likely wont.

I was there a couple months ago, and we heard nothing but good things about Trump and the US. Many on the western side (Edmonton, Calgary, etc) are a bit fed up with the eastern side (Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto).

That said, they've always had 'little brother syndrome' and will take every opportunity to tell you that their food is better, the CFL is better than the NFL, whiskey is better, etc, etc... That's pretty universal.
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are having their day, but their day will have unintended but completely predictable consequences. They can vent all they want, but it will only make the pain of eating crow much worse as they come grovelling back to the protection and financial covering of big brother.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The major constant I have seen in all the years from both sides of the political spectrum in Canada is they are obsessed with US politics. I have never visited and not had random people opine to me about our President and noteworthy leaders. I have been asked "do you know what people in Canada and across the world think about your president? They think he's a joke" and I had to respond with "do you know what Americans think about yours? They don't."


One thing that's unique about Americans, is that we're very inwardly focused. If a person in the US follows US politics, it's common not to know anything about the politics of other countries.

But I've noticed people from other countries know about their own country's policies, and also pay attention to the United States' as well. Their news coverage is much more global in nature.

I'm not sure if this is because of our size, compared to theirs...or the fact we've been The world leader...and our actions affect them to a greater extent, or if it's a cultural thing.
mm98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in Regina and Edmonton in two weeks. I'll try to observe and report back.
torrid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like New York or California.
Wildmen03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a buddy in college that was from Canada. We were in computer engineering together. He grew up thinking Americans were dick-ish bullies that thought they were better than everyone. And there was a general disdain because all of the media he watched was American, the food he ate was American, and the toys he played with were American. He thought America was over-saturated across the world and he was just tired of it all.

After our fish year he proclaimed that he was never moving back to Canada and loves what we have here in the states. And to my knowledge he never moved back.
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mm98 said:

I'll be in Regina and Edmonton in two weeks. I'll try to observe and report back.


You do know what citizens of Regina are called don't you?
Burrus86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last interaction I had with Canadians was at Michigan International Speedway many years ago. There were four punk-ass 20+ year old kids terrorizing the campgrounds we were staying. They would walk into a camp site, take it over, and start drinking people's beer/liquor. If folks tried to stop them, they would verbally assault wives and kids.

Then they made it to our camp site. Their first warning should have been the large Texas flag flying overhead. We had no clue of their previous shenanigans. When they bowed up to us, the ass-whipping was on!

No one had any more problems out of them the rest of the weekend. We also had other campers thanking us and buying us beer for the rest of our stay!
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The easiest way to smooze a Canadian is just say: "You guys have the very best beer." That's genuinely all it takes.
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is how my sister explains it when I bring it up.

Of course now every Canadian is bombarded with talk about the trade war with the US so all of them are experts on Canadian GDP and products like potash and oil. My niece and nephew are amazed that I show no concern at all on how the trade war will affect me and it's difficult to explain to them that the issue isn't really even a pimple on the arse of the average American.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HarleySpoon said:

The easiest way to smooze a Canadian is just say: "You guys have the very best beer." That's genuinely all it takes.

That's not a lie.

One time I was in Canada, and after a course of events, ended up at a birthday party for a cop, in a town outside Edmonton.

They were grilling up Elk, and gave us elk jerky. They spent an hour trying to convince us that the CFL was better than the NFL...and one of their reasons was that they gave us their 'leftovers' like Warren Moon (halfway said in jest, halfway serious).

Once we complimented their beer and Elk meat, we were became friends.
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Similar experience with a French Canadian colleague in Dallas. When he first arrived, it was just about putting his young kids on French speaking private school and getting back to Quebec. In six months, he put his kids in public school and vowed to never leave Texas. 30 years later, he never has. He even wound up coaching club hockey at a major Texas university. Similar experiences with young, British colleagues. Arrive unhappy and end up vowing to never leave.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

The major constant I have seen in all the years from both sides of the political spectrum in Canada is they are obsessed with US politics. I have never visited and not had random people opine to me about our President and noteworthy leaders. I have been asked "do you know what people in Canada and across the world think about your president? They think he's a joke" and I had to respond with "do you know what Americans think about yours? They don't."


One thing that's unique about Americans, is that we're very inward focused. If a person in the US follows US politics, it's common not to know anything about the politics of other countries.

But I've noticed people from other countries know about their own country's policies, and also pay attention to the United States' as well. Their news coverage is much more global in nature.

I'm not sure if this is because of our size, compared to theirs...or the fact we've been The world leader...and our actions affect them to a greater extent, or if it's a cultural thing.



This is true. One thing that has happened here over the years is that US news organizations all but abandoned their international news desks and reporting. This was largely done as cost cutting measures as technology and a highly diverse and fractured information market has totally diluted and/or killed the news business here.

It hit home during the initial Russian invasion of Ukraine (not 2014) when CNN had to bring a lot of old international personalities out of retirement as guest contributors to even have a worthwhile discussion on it. Several faces I had forgotten about back when CNN was a serious news organization at least on the surface.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bonfarr said:

That is how my sister explains it when I bring it up.

Of course now every Canadian is bombarded with talk about the trade war with the US so all of them are experts on Canadian GDP and products like potash and oil. My niece and nephew are amazed that I show no concern at all on how the trade war will affect me and it's difficult to explain to them that the issue isn't really even a pimple on the arse of the average American.

Yep. It's that way in many places. My Mexican friends were shocked that hardly anyone in Texas can name the Mexican President. But everyone, everywhere knows the U.S. President. Same holds true for acquaintances from Brazil, S.Africa and European countries.

What they do, doesnt affect us generally. What we do, greatly affects them.

I think it's why the news has gotten a bit more global recently. Trump's actions are causing wide push-back, and the skirmishes around the world (russia) have gotten a lot of coverage, so it's starting to be on our radar a bit more here.
AgNav93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was in a joint US/Canadian squadron when I was in the Air Force. The non-French ones were great. Reminded me a lot of upper mid westerners. The French were ****** bags. There is just something about being French.
Ellis Wyatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So you're telling me Hussein Obama is actually Canadian? I believe it.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGrad99 said:

bonfarr said:

That is how my sister explains it when I bring it up.

Of course now every Canadian is bombarded with talk about the trade war with the US so all of them are experts on Canadian GDP and products like potash and oil. My niece and nephew are amazed that I show no concern at all on how the trade war will affect me and it's difficult to explain to them that the issue isn't really even a pimple on the arse of the average American.

Yep. It's that way in many places. My Mexican friends were shocked that hardly anyone in Texas can name the Mexican President. But everyone, everywhere knows the U.S. President. Same holds true for acquaintances from Brazil, S.Africa and European countries.

What they do, doesnt affect us generally. What we do, greatly affects them.

I think it's why the news has gotten a bit more global recently. Trump's actions are causing wide push-back, and the skirmishes around the world (russia) have gotten a lot of coverage, so it's starting to be on our radar a bit more here.


It's because the Bretton Woods World Order is disintegrating and Trump is at the helm of that occurring. Some of it he's actively pushing but some of it is just natural entropy of a long standing arrangement dying on its own.
rgag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I do quite a bit of work in Canada, and have lots of experience with them as well. Despite our disagreements recently, I love Canada and Canadian people.

My observation is that Canada is absolutely NOT homogenous in their view of the United States. They are very much like us, where people from San Fran and NY are going to have a different opinion than people from Texas and Florida.

The Western side of Canada is actually pro-US, and the eastern side is not. The French Canadians are their own thing, and they are very anti-everyone else, including the US. If your experience is primarily Toronto/East, you're definitely going to receive more negative/argumentative opinions.

Travel to Calgary, and you'll likely get a warm reception. Travel to Montreal, and you likely wont.

I was there a couple months ago, and we heard nothing but good things about Trump and the US. Many on the western side (Edmonton, Calgary, etc) are a bit fed up with the eastern side (Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto).

That said, they've always had 'little brother syndrome' and will take every opportunity to tell you that their food is better, the CFL is better than the NFL, whiskey is better, etc, etc... That's pretty universal.


I assume you aren't including BC and Vancouver in your definition of Western Canada?
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably not Vancouver...but a lot of BC is very US-friendly.

I do a lot of work in Victoria/Sidney, and they're probably more agnostic than anything towards us.
neil88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One positive reminder of our relationship with Canada - never forget it was their ambassador that took in and protected our embassy staff that ultimately was smuggled out of Iran back during the Iran hostage crisis. So the little brother syndrome depiction resonates with me. Like a family, constant squabbles. But when the chips are down, we come together.
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I lived in Oakville, ON for a couple of years for work and loved it. Enjoyed being in the GTA and travelled all over and really enjoyed it.

There were a few folks who wanted to talk politics and were a little preachy but overall I felt very welcomed and most folks wanted to ask me all sorts of questions about being a Texan (which is how I replied when asked where I was from). They also liked my Texas plates which I kept on my vehicles the entire time.

The beer was $$$ though. And I spent a ton of money on Tim Hortons large double doubles.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sister worked for Bush when he was Governor of Texas and when she was able to work in Canada she ultimately landed a job on a parole board and became known as "that ***** from Texas" due to her hardline stance and she is actually pretty moderate by American standards.

My BIL worked as a lobbyist for victim's rights for many years working with victims of some pretty horrible crimes to enhance sentencing laws which discouraged lengthy prison terms. His office was funded by one of the manor police associations.
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
neil88 said:

One positive reminder of our relationship with Canada - never forget it was their ambassador that took in and protected our embassy staff that ultimately was smuggled out of Iran back during the Iran hostage crisis. So the little brother syndrome depiction resonates with me. Like a family, constant squabbles. But when the chips are down, we come together.

Joe Clark was prime minister at that time. He was a member of the Progressive/Conservative party which merged into the current Conservative Party in 2003. Not sure the liberal party or PQ would have taken that risk for us.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somebody shared the stats on one of these Canada threads...when the last conservative PM left office and ceded to Trudeau, Canada was looking great.

It's been downhill ever since under left wing rule. Trudeau and the liberals put Canada on the path to failure. And Carney seems to be trying to put the nail in the coffin.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.