Josh Howerton's take on UT student body controversy

10,842 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by AxelFoley85
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zobel said:

Even when you have been told that this argument is pointless, you insist on having it? OK, sure, for the sake of discussion lets say that somehow going to a football game is sufficient evidence for complete and total assimilation.

The demographics of the state have collapsed to where less than 25% of high schoolers are white. This is a threefold reduction in the past 50 years. This is the problem Bo French was referring to.

The post I was responding to made it an issue. If you don't like the discussion that was being had, ignore it.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Almost every kid in that picture is second or third generation, born and raised here and indistinguishable from white American college students in every way but skin color.

I call bullcrap.

I live in an area that's become predominantly Indian. Most of them have recently moved here (within the last 10-15 years).

These kids might have grown up here, but they are a result of the recent influx of foreign workers. The students flooding the Universities are almost certainly not 2nd and 3rd generation.

And it's not about the kids in the picture. They are just one symptom of what's happening across our State.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
By the way, this happened a couple months ago. The parent of a recent implant. This cause quite a bit of local uproar, with many from his community defending his actions. The defense, was that he was new here, and didnt know that isn't allowed. It just highlights how extreme the divide is between cultures.

(Indian man poops in front of everyone, at July 4th community event)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/politics/articles/viral-cedar-park-defecation-claim-163039073.html
Phatbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hardcore Greg said:

reineraggie09 said:

Enviroag02 said:

reineraggie09 said:

Josh Howerton is preparing to run for office. Big publicity push the last 6 months.


I don't see him running for office. He's making more of an impact doing what he's doing. Nothing he has said makes me believe he's preparing to run for office.


It's not what he said. It's the massive media blitz. Shawn Ryan and other podcasts. Big ramp up in social media.

His podcast videos started going viral on their own merit. A deep thinking pastor speaking in long form conversation and coming across as 100% authentic and genuine? His bread and butter is making connections and highlighting cool cross references in the bible that most have never heard about. Things a lot of preachers and scholars wouldn't ever notice.

There was a market void for that. Sean Ryan is going to have a lot of people on who start to blow up on social media, especially if they offer good commentary and insight on religion, politics, war etc.

I have followed the guy pretty closely and do not think this is all manufactured to pave the way to run for office but I could be wrong. I would LOVE for more people like him to run for office though, our country desperately needs that.

For someone who really believes what he professes, he would likely not run for office. That is the difference between ideologies of him and, say, a Talarico. A good shepherd doesn't run for office and try to address issues that are really church and individual spiritual issues through government. It's a basic worldview difference that puts social justice types at an advantage. The job itself is an anathema to someone who truly has the right view of the purpose of the job they are running for. If he really does believe his professions, then it's likely that he believes he already is in the right place for God's influence.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Quote:

In the UT video thay are probably all 1st and 2nd gen. The Indian imigrants are likely completely oblivious that there is a football game going on.

What is your evidence?

Quote:


Again, I am proud of how well those students seem to have assimilated. You could take any chunk of white kids from that stadium, and there are probably very very few (maybe zero) first generation Americans.

Again? You have not said that you are proud of how well they've assimilated on this thread, unless I just missed it.

Quote:

I am just arguing your notion that there are white immgrants or first gen citizens that we envcounter on a routine basis. They are sprinkled few and far between. TONS of Indian and other immigrants and first gens in my suburb of houston though

I never made the argument about white immigrants. I simply stated that a group of brown-skinned people haning out together is not evidence that they have resisted assimilation.

There is another thread or two where I have said this repeatedly. That this video makes the complete opposite point it was trying to. It shows pretty much full assimilation to me.

I never said groups of brown people means they have resisted assimilation. I don't know if anyone is saying that. There are lots of Indian immigrants assimilating but lots not as well. The good thing is that Asians/Indians do tend to assimilate very well within a generation or two.

But at the same time, can you admit that I am not racist or prejudiced for not wanting Indians (or any other immigrant groups from vastly diff cultures) to completely swallow up my suburb of Houston? That I don't want giant ugly Hindu statues erected or for their culture to be pushed on us? This is happening big time in Fort Bend County (SW Houston) and large swaths of DFW.

I mean, I hope you can understand some peoples' frustrations or concerns. Like why is this sh** in my state (below)? I do not want them erecting these statues or concolidating in certain areas to create voting blocks to change the overall prevailing cultures and norms. Not sorry.


Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People who put up that statue have kids watching football games. That's kind of the issue with focusing on <one photo> versus on the very real fact that 22% of Texas schoolchildren are white.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. I've never called anyone racist in these discussions.

2. Building the statue is forcing Hinduism on you but putting the Ten Commandments in school isn't forcing Christianity on anyone? I don't think you made that argument but maybe you believe it. Christians don't have a right to this land more than any other religion because they got he first. You can resist but you need to have more than just "they're different", in my opinion. Disagree if you will.

3. Most immigrant groups mostly assimilate after 2-3 generations, not just Indians.

4. Sure, I'd prefer that businesses hire Americans first but we've given them incentives not to do so. Complain about that.


So many of these arguments against legal immigrants moving in sound eerily similar to Democrats who argue against gentrification, for DEI, and the ridiculousness of living on stolen land.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

4. Sure, I'd prefer that businesses hire Americans first but we've given them incentives not to do so. Complain about that.

Sort of.

The system is designed to hire foreign workers, if there are no qualified Americans for that position. We didnt incentivize, we just turned a blind eye while they abused it, and operated outside of it's intent.

There needs to be repercussions for the abuse.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:


Quote:

4. Sure, I'd prefer that businesses hire Americans first but we've given them incentives not to do so. Complain about that.

Sort of.

The system is designed to hire foreign workers, if there are no qualified Americans for that position. We didnt incentivize, we just turned a blind eye while they abused it, and operated outside of it's intent.

There needs to be repercussions for the abuse.

Hence the incentive. What it's supposed to be is irrelevant.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:


Quote:

Almost every kid in that picture is second or third generation, born and raised here and indistinguishable from white American college students in every way but skin color.

I call bullcrap.

I live in an area that's become predominantly Indian. Most of them have recently moved here (within the last 10-15 years).

These kids might have grown up here, but they are a result of the recent influx of foreign workers. The students flooding the Universities are almost certainly not 2nd and 3rd generation.

And it's not about the kids in the picture. They are just one symptom of what's happening across our State.

Is it possible that they are the 2nd and 3rd gen extreme minority of the Indian student body population at Texas? That the vast majority at that school are immigrants and first gen Indian-Americans who aren't even at the game?

Seriously, that is one of the most normal/Americanized group of Indian kids I have ever seen. I work with a few kids like this and they are cool as hell, normal, and down to earth.

I do doubt that very many at all are THIRD gen.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

1. I've never called anyone racist in these discussions.

2. Building the statue is forcing Hinduism on you but putting the Ten Commandments in school isn't forcing Christianity on anyone? I don't think you made that argument but maybe you believe it. Christians don't have a right to this land more than any other religion because they got he first. You can resist but you need to have more than just "they're different", in my opinion. Disagree if you will.

No, no one could possibly force hinduism on me, they could kill me trying. The Ten Commandments in school, institutions and society is normal and has been since our founding. Only recently in this country has that been considered taboo. Pink haired abortion crazed Lindsay Clancy supporting feminists tend to hate it for one.

But you really don't see the difference between that, and muslim calls to prayer, or erecting giant Hindu monstrosities?

Would Indians in Mumbai be hypocrites for not wanting to be completely flooded by white Americans who erect giant Jesus statues in traditionally Indian/Hindu areas? They are bigots if they have any sort of opinion on that right? JK, that's only a rule for whitey.

This country was founded to be a certain way...with a strong Judeo-Christian backbone. That is not even remotely debatable if you know the slightest thing about our founding, or how the various states operated from a religious standpoint.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are 100% correct.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

1. I've never called anyone racist in these discussions.

2. Building the statue is forcing Hinduism on you but putting the Ten Commandments in school isn't forcing Christianity on anyone? I don't think you made that argument but maybe you believe it. Christians don't have a right to this land more than any other religion because they got he first. You can resist but you need to have more than just "they're different", in my opinion. Disagree if you will.

No, no one could possibly force hinduism on me, they could kill me trying. The Ten Commandments in school, institutions and society is normal and has been since our founding. Only recently in this country has that been considered taboo. Pink haired abortion crazed Lindsay Clancy supporting feminists tend to hate it for one.

But you really don't see the difference between that, and muslim calls to prayer, or erecting giant Hindu monstrosities?

Would Indians in Mumbai be hypocrites for not wanting to be completely flooded by white Americans who erect giant Jesus statues in traditionally Indian/Hindu areas? They are bigots if they have any dort of opinion on that right? JK, that's only a rule for whitey.

This country was founded to be a certain way...with a strong Judeo-Christian backbone. That is not even remotely debatable if you know the slightest thing about our founding, or how the various states operated from a religious standpoint.

What is the difference? A new law was created that put the Ten Commandments in schools, so it's not common. Erecting one of those statues is no different than the giant crosses that show up on Beltway 8 in Houston. It has no impact on me, so why does the other bother you? If nobody is forcing it on to you, what's the issue?

What Indians do in Mumbai is none of my business because it's not my country, thankfully. I've not called anyone a bigot, so I don't understand how it became part of our conversation.

The founding is just part of our story and we have moved beyond that, for better and worse.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

1. I've never called anyone racist in these discussions.

2. Building the statue is forcing Hinduism on you but putting the Ten Commandments in school isn't forcing Christianity on anyone? I don't think you made that argument but maybe you believe it. Christians don't have a right to this land more than any other religion because they got he first. You can resist but you need to have more than just "they're different", in my opinion. Disagree if you will.

No, no one could possibly force hinduism on me, they could kill me trying. The Ten Commandments in school, institutions and society is normal and has been since our founding. Only recently in this country has that been considered taboo. Pink haired abortion crazed Lindsay Clancy supporting feminists tend to hate it for one.

But you really don't see the difference between that, and muslim calls to prayer, or erecting giant Hindu monstrosities?

Would Indians in Mumbai be hypocrites for not wanting to be completely flooded by white Americans who erect giant Jesus statues in traditionally Indian/Hindu areas? They are bigots if they have any dort of opinion on that right? JK, that's only a rule for whitey.

This country was founded to be a certain way...with a strong Judeo-Christian backbone. That is not even remotely debatable if you know the slightest thing about our founding, or how the various states operated from a religious standpoint.

What is the difference? A new law was created that put the Ten Commandments in schools, so it's not common. Erecting one of those statues is no different than the giant crosses that show up on Beltway 8 in Houston. It has no impact on me, so why does the other bother you? If nobody is forcing it on to you, what's the issue?

What Indians do in Mumbai is none of my business because it's not my country, thankfully. I've not called anyone a bigot, so I don't understand how it became part of our conversation.

The founding is just part of our story and we have moved beyond that, for better and worse.

Absolutely crazy that you seem to be shocked or repulsed by the notion that many Americans would have much less problem with reference to ten commandments in classrooms than they do giant Hindu monstosities in their communities. I am guessing you are Indian and just blindly batting for the home team?
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

Most half-assimilated Indians would understand these basic concepts.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Why does having the culture that is familiar to me eroded bother me? Why don't I want a bunch of weird ass giant foreign religious statues erected in my neighborhood? Is this what you are asking?

Would a muslim call to prayer in your neighborhood or town not bother you? I am guessing not at all...but can you see how it would bother many of the lifelong residents?
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.

I don't think its a reason to keep indians from moving here but it is something they do. Every immigrant brings their norms with them and then they have to adjust. According to you, their kids don't do that anymore becuase they are more Americanized. I've been teaching the kids of immigrants for a long time and one thing all of the kids have in common, their parent and grandparents tell them they are "too American".
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.

So I'm assuming you believe that Catholicism shouldn't exist in this country and you're equally offended by their churches being built. The Founders of this country were overwhelmingly Protestant, so clearly they should not have allowed Catholics build churches here. They should have definitely made them convert, right?

And you said their statue isn't making you change anything.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.

I don't think its a reason to keep indians from moving here but it is something they do. Every immigrant brings their norms with them and then they have to adjust. According to you, their kids don't do that anymore becuase they are more Americanized. I've been teaching the kids of immigrants for a long time and one thing all of the kids have in common, their parent and grandparents tell them they are "too American".

Brown immigrants from completely foreign cultures and places, yes. Which is f'n crazy and insulting and arrogant as all getout if you think about it. The nerve lol, my goodness.

Can't fix your own broken wasteland of a country so you come to the place you took no part in building or shaping and then you lament when you children start acting like the natives.

What a repulsive trait. Thank God not all of them are like that, but yes many are.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.

I don't think its a reason to keep indians from moving here but it is something they do. Every immigrant brings their norms with them and then they have to adjust. According to you, their kids don't do that anymore becuase they are more Americanized. I've been teaching the kids of immigrants for a long time and one thing all of the kids have in common, their parent and grandparents tell them they are "too American".

Brown immigrants from completely foreign cultures and places, yes. Which is f'n crazy and insulting and arrogant as all getout if you think about it. The nerve lol, my goodness.

Can't fix your own broken wasteland of a country so you come to the place you took no part in building or shaping and then you lament when you children start acting like the natives.

What a repulsive trait. Thank God not all of them are like that, but yes many are.


Yeah, George Washington's ancestors should have stayed in England and fixed that bull**** system. The nerve of them.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

AgGrad99 said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.

So I'm assuming you believe that Catholicism shouldn't exist in this country and you're equally offended by their churches being built. The Founders of this country were overwhelmingly Protestant, so clearly they should not have allowed Catholics build churches here. They should have definitely made them convert, right?

And you said their statue isn't making you change anything.

Goodness...make it stop...
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.

I don't think its a reason to keep indians from moving here but it is something they do. Every immigrant brings their norms with them and then they have to adjust. According to you, their kids don't do that anymore becuase they are more Americanized. I've been teaching the kids of immigrants for a long time and one thing all of the kids have in common, their parent and grandparents tell them they are "too American".

Brown immigrants from completely foreign cultures and places, yes. Which is f'n crazy and insulting and arrogant as all getout if you think about it. The nerve lol, my goodness.

Can't fix your own broken wasteland of a country so you come to the place you took no part in building or shaping and then you lament when you children start acting like the natives.

What a repulsive trait. Thank God not all of them are like that, but yes many are.


Yeah, George Washington's ancestors should have stayed in England and fixed that bull**** system. The nerve of them.

They did. We were England here, and they fought a bloody revolution to fix their situation. They BUILT this country. They didn't just hit eject because they lived in a disgusting hellhole and knew they could take advantage of some other country and the benefits and entitlements it has to offer.

But my point is, that it is an absolutely DISGUSTING trait, to flee to a gracious foreign country hosting you, leaving your third world hellscape behind, and then getting mad when you children act like the natives there. Just says a ton about that culture.

Again, I realize not all of them are so disgusting and ungrateful and arrogant...but a lot are.
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

AgGrad99 said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.

So I'm assuming you believe that Catholicism shouldn't exist in this country and you're equally offended by their churches being built. The Founders of this country were overwhelmingly Protestant, so clearly they should not have allowed Catholics build churches here. They should have definitely made them convert, right?

And you said their statue isn't making you change anything.

Goodness...make it stop...

What is the difference? You've also not said why the statue bothers you.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

AgGrad99 said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.

So I'm assuming you believe that Catholicism shouldn't exist in this country and you're equally offended by their churches being built. The Founders of this country were overwhelmingly Protestant, so clearly they should not have allowed Catholics build churches here. They should have definitely made them convert, right?

And you said their statue isn't making you change anything.

Goodness...make it stop...

What is the difference? You've also not said why the statue bothers you.


Because it's the dumbest freaking question I think I have ever heard. Why don't I want a bunch of giant half monkey Hindu statues littering my area of town? Why don't I want big shiny new mosques or to wake up to the muslim call to prayer in the morning (don't say that's different)? Why don't I want foreign third world cultures and bizarre religions to prevail and become more and more dominant here?

Not going to answer such an asinine question. I can't even believe you're serious.

But Aggrad did a pretty solid job of partially answering above.
zoneag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

AgGrad99 said:

Possible? Sure. But I think it's highly unlikely...simply based on the population numbers we've seen.

I'd guess many of the students grew up here. But their parents immigrated here....they weren't born here.

But I'll say it again. It's not about the kids in the picture, but the bigger picture it represents.

Yep, to me it's about the Indians NOT in the picture. The Indians in the picture are the ones I am glad to have. But there are tons not pictured because they had no idea there was a game and don;t know what a first down is and they were likely in Indian-only-cheat-groups during the game prepping for the next big exam.

I don't think people realize how prevalent lying and cheating is among the non-assimilated Indians. It truly is a cultural trait. Ask anyone who has had to negotiate with them (sell a car etc). Immigrant and first gen are an absolute nightmare to deal with. Handshake agreements and "word" mean absolutely nothing to them. I have two buddies at car dealerships who absolutely refuse to deal with them, unles they are young and seem very Americanized.

They used to call my dad's towing shop asking what the rate was for a tow. He'd give them the price and then they started negotiating. We replied by going above our original price and eventually settled on the original price. Negotiating prices is what most of the world does. It's one of those cultural practices that has to be explained. Just like deference to authority in many East Asian cultures, or aggressive/cordial disagreement in Italy.

Bro, I am not making this up. They have this reputation for a reason. Many car salesmen will not even deal with them. It is a cultural thing, I promise you.

I'm not sure why you think I said you were making it up when I clearly backed up your statement with evidence.

You seemed to be downplaying it..."negotiating prices is just what most of the world does". Sorry, thought you were implying something there.

I don't think its a reason to keep indians from moving here but it is something they do. Every immigrant brings their norms with them and then they have to adjust. According to you, their kids don't do that anymore becuase they are more Americanized. I've been teaching the kids of immigrants for a long time and one thing all of the kids have in common, their parent and grandparents tell them they are "too American".

Brown immigrants from completely foreign cultures and places, yes. Which is f'n crazy and insulting and arrogant as all getout if you think about it. The nerve lol, my goodness.

Can't fix your own broken wasteland of a country so you come to the place you took no part in building or shaping and then you lament when you children start acting like the natives.

What a repulsive trait. Thank God not all of them are like that, but yes many are.


Yeah, George Washington's ancestors should have stayed in England and fixed that bull**** system. The nerve of them.

Good lord, are you trolling?
Bull Meachem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:

Bull Meachem said:

Hardcore Greg said:

Bull Meachem said:

You seemed to be shocked that someone wouldn't really be bothered by either one. What about the statue bothers you?

Are you kidding me? Very few non-Indian people would want a giant 100ft half man/half monkey Hindu statue erected in their neighborhood. What is wrong with you? Why are you dying on these weird hills?

I get all of that. Why does it bother you?

Because when you immigrate to another country, you're expected to assimilate to their culture...not the other way around.

I can't erect a billboard near my neighborhood...why would I want a giant statue of another culture's god?

That is the crux of the issue. People liked their community the way it is, and are pushing back at the insinuation that we should be the ones to change, not those coming over.


You realize how flimsy that is, right? Nobody is asking you to change when they build these statues.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.