Asheville and Western North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Caroline damage from Helen

12,198 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by ToddyHill
flakrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nitro Power said:

Any word on Knoxville?
Knoxville didn't get much of the storm. I saw early predictions of the eye going over Knoxville before heading northwest into Kentucky where it was supposed to stall out and die.

Fortunately for them, unfortunate for us and western NC, it steered east and hung around.
mazzag
AG
flakrat
AG
Just had a bunch of Blackhawks fly over heading to the flooded areas
redcrayon
AG
mazzag said:

Thousands missing??
Buford T. Justice
AG
Absolute 100% worst case scenario. (Re: Storm path & topography.). My heart breaks for those affected.
Ghost Mech
Raiderjay said:

Where the F is the federal response, even a mention of this storm by Kamala or Joe?????

We have a President who showered with his daughter at an extremely inappropriate age and raised a crackhead son. What do you expect from a man like that?

They are only interested in looting the treasury at this point. That and there are incompetent morons who were put into positions of power to satisfy diversity quotas and pay back on political favors.

one safe place
redcrayon said:

mazzag said:

Thousands missing??
They tend to overestimate things and hope that is the case here. I suspect there may be thousands of people who cannot contact family or friends to let them know they are ok. Not so much missing as unable to contact or be contacted. Lack of power, bad cell service, etc. probably have communications pretty poor to nonexistent.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Thousands missing??
OMG! One county has a thousand missing?

Way worse than Katrina. Ten times worse than Katrina.
Independence H-D
The 28 FEMA USAR teams have air assets they work with. HSART (HELICOPTER SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS) are in the area and providing assistance.

Just FYI... One of the best ones in the country is right here in Texas, part of Texas A&M task Force One. The Texas A&M engineering extension service also trains helicopter search and rescue teams.

Certainly, more needs to be done. In my mind you throw every asset you can possibly find at something like this. I can assure you that the boots on the ground are doing everything they can.

flakrat
AG
one safe place said:

redcrayon said:

mazzag said:

Thousands missing??
They tend to overestimate things and hope that is the case here. I suspect there may be thousands of people who cannot contact family or friends to let them know they are ok. Not so much missing as unable to contact or be contacted. Lack of power, bad cell service, etc. probably have communications pretty poor to nonexistent.

Reports from a couple locations around us are 70+ fatalities each. Not sure if that extrapolates to 1000s across the entire storm path.
Aggie Jurist
AG
Those posting 'they had warning' need to stop typing. I'm in the middle of this. I drove 6 hours yesterday trying to get home to my wife (normally a 2 hour drive). The devastation is everywhere. No power, no water, highways completely gone. No way in, no way out. Nobody predicted this - nobody. There were no evacuation order - just some rather innocuous weather advisories. The speed with which the water moved was astounding. Washing out bridges - big and small. Destroying highways- state and federal. Washing away every route of escape and destroying countless homes and businesses. It's heartbreaking.
LGB
Big Bucks
AG
My post essentially saying the same thing was apparently flagged and removed because I called someone a name.

Very sorry you are having to deal with this. I am in Columbia if I can help and we have a full basement if you guys need a place to stay. Got power back earlier today.
Aggie Jurist
AG
Thanks. Went to law school in Columbia.

We are safe - on generator power - but our water supply will be an issue soon (as will propane for the generator). Getting up the mountain to our house is sketchy - trees and power lines over the road - so getting fuel may be impossible. We are the lucky ones - no damage, some downed trees on our property. The people in the valleys - all over East Tennessee and West NC have just been hammered. I'm just blown away but what I've seen the last few days.
LGB
TRADUCTOR
Problem is the horrid devastation to restore and lives that need to be saved. Armchair quarterback Bozos pointing out warnings that have zero impact on reality solve nothing.
jja79
AG
I saw that one county has over 1,000 residents missing or unaccounted for.
TTUArmy
That I-40 is a main route for east coast trucking. Drivers will have to dip down to I-20 or go up to I-70. With the longshoreman strike on the east and gulf coast looming, we could experience some very serious supply chain issues. This could make recovery efforts pretty rough.
Ghost Mech
Fed govt won't let them strike now. Too important to the country's economy/function.
Nanomachines son
Independence H-D said:

The 28 FEMA USAR teams have air assets they work with. HSART (HELICOPTER SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS) are in the area and providing assistance.

Just FYI... One of the best ones in the country is right here in Texas, part of Texas A&M task Force One. The Texas A&M engineering extension service also trains helicopter search and rescue teams.

Certainly, more needs to be done. In my mind you throw every asset you can possibly find at something like this. I can assure you that the boots on the ground are doing everything they can.

That's good to hear because if this is true, there is a major disaster unfolding there.

TAMUallen
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Independence H-D said:

That's good to hear because if this is true, there is a major disaster unfolding there.

Maybe running potable water but if they go weeks without otherwise then you might as well give this election to Trump.

You can't have a disaster like this running into an election. Kamala won't be able to disassociate and say this is a Biden thing now.
Independence H-D
It's true. I spent a few years with TEEX and TXTF1. These guys are good and they train constantly.

This situation is just simply overwhelming.

Nanomachines son

Ignore the comments on the post and watch the video. Just unreal level damage there.

Water treatment plants are going down now as well:

Nanomachines son
Independence H-D said:

It's true. I spent a few years with TEEX and TXTF1. These guys are good and they train constantly.

This situation is just simply overwhelming.

These guys are helping as well. All hands on deck for this one.
agracer
AG
Open up the google maps view of that area and turn on the traffic icon.

Roads closed all over the state.
Independence H-D
From my aunt. This is her hometown. She currently lives in Oregon but her whole family was here.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Ignore the comments on the post and watch the video. Just unreal level damage there.

Water treatment plants are going down now as well:

It's that dam designed to be overtopped??? I'm hoping that's just an uncontrolled ogee weir. But it's also going around the left abutment
Nanomachines son

These storm chasers have been doing good work getting news out.
Nanomachines son
[This is the second time you've posted X links that bypass obscenity filters. Take a break, and when you come back clean it up -- Staff]
4stringAg
AG
It's infuriating the lack of federal response. Years ago I was on my way over from Memphis to Raleigh and a rock slide closed I40 from eastern TN into Asheville and I had to take some detours through all these little towns to get past it. I stopped frequently due to the scenery and people were beyond friendly.

I can't even fathom those towns being completely gone.

YouBet
AG
Lack of media really is wild. Even the WSJ only has one half-assed article and it's barely above the virtual fold on the app.
frenchtoast
Heartbreaking.
FriscoKid
AG
YouBet said:

Lack of media really is wild. Even the WSJ only has one half-assed article and it's barely above the virtual fold on the app.

That's not an excuse for outlets like Fox though. If the communities are really cut off and hundreds are dead then it will be a major wall to wall story tomorrow.
flakrat
AG
Btw, I'm getting a crap load more useful information off of this thread than I'm getting from the MSM. Thanks for the posts!
TAMUallen
AG
FriscoKid said:

YouBet said:

That's not an excuse for outlets like Fox though. If the communities are really cut off and hundreds are dead then it will be a major wall to wall story tomorrow.

I don't care who the news outlet is... There's enough to go off of on Twitter to fill up what their normal repeat reporting is when something newsworthy happens. I mean they filled up 2 days of coverage with Trump's 2nd assassination and there was practically zero footage
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Brother in law and his wife live in Asheville. We did not hear from them until 4:20 this afternoon. No power, no gas, no phone, no water, etc. Home is safe so they have shelter. Several trees in yard are gone or damaged.

Found a neighbor who had Starlink and a camper equipped with lithium batteries. He was able to use that resource to text the family this afternoon. Says lot of people were there doing the same. Neighbor says he'll leave it active until the batteries go dead!

They are unable to leave their area by car due to washed out roads, bridges, trees/debris blocking road, etc.

They prepared but no one expected this amount of rain and the results. They have food and thought they had enough water. Concerned water may run out Tuesday so hoping for some help there. Wishes he had bought another propane canister, or filled up the one he had, as he ran out of propane today. Can't cook a hot meal.

Weather isn't too hot or too cold so it's not uncomfortable climate wise.
agdaddy04
AG
I've got an employee that lives near here. It's very sad the information he's been sending. Our supplier that's there can only say they're closed indefinitely while they work to get water and power restored to the area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.