Why isn't more made about Kamala failing the bar?

11,591 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ts5641
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While this is hardly 1860, Abe Lincoln's education was hardly up to snuff with many of his political peers.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Charlie 31
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

That, to me, is pretty important. The first time bar passage rate in California around the time that Kamala took it was well over 60%. I'm not saying you can't go on to have a successful legal career, but if you fail the bar, I'm sorry, that should disqualify you from holding the Presidency.

Out of curiosity, I looked up some other first time failers. You'll notice a pattern….

Vice President Kamala Harris (a graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of Law) failed the California bar exam on her first try.

The Former First Lady Michelle Obama (a graduate of Harvard Law School) failed the Illinois bar exam on her first try.

Secretary of State and past Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton failed the DC bar exam the first time she took it. She passed the Arkansas bar after that.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt failed the New York bar exam on his first try after attending Harvard College and Columbia Law School . . . and he was subsequently elected President four times!

John F. Kennedy, Jr. failed the New York bar exam twice before passing it on his third try.

Several Governors have failed the bar.

Two-time governor of California, Jerry Brown, also failed the bar exam.

Several Mayors have failed the bar exam (some more than once!), including New York mayor, Ed Koch; Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley, and Los Angeles Mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa.

Add to that mayor of the 4th-largest U.S. City (Houston), Mayor John Whitmire, who did not complete his law degree at the University of Houston, but as a state representative in the 1970 and 1980s was allowed under Texas law as a legislator to sit for the Texas Bar Exam more than once until he passed it in 1981.

Oh, and Mayor Whitmire's middle name is Harris.
Captain Pablo
AG
Who gives a damn if she failed the bar. She will run the country straight into the ground, but it won't be because of that.

Lol
Jack Boyette
B-1 83 said:

While this is hardly 1860, Abe Lincoln's education was hardly up to snuff with many of his political peers.

Abe Lincoln was also a terrible President. His lack of acumen showed when he repeatedly violated the Constitution. Everyone somehow anoints him as great because he "freed the slaves" (he didn't).
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Kim Kardashian has passed a law exam and moved a step closer to being able to practice as an attorney in the state of California.
Kardashian revealed that she passed the exam at the fourth attempt in an Instagram post published Monday.
"OMFGGGG I PASSED THE BABY BAR EXAM!!!!," Kardashian wrote, alongside an image of herself in a bright blue dress, looking into a mirror.
Quote:

"Looking in the mirror, I am really proud of the woman looking back today in the reflection," the post reads. "For anyone who doesn't know my law school journey, know this wasn't easy or handed to me."
Kardashian said she was suffering with Covid-19 during one attempt to pass the exam, which is one of two she needs to pass in order to become a practicing attorney in California.
"I was told by top lawyers that this was a close to impossible journey and harder than the traditional law school route but it was my only option and it feels so so sooooo good to be here and on my way to achieving my goals," she wrote.
LINK
akm91
AG
barbacoa taco said:

deddog said:

barbacoa taco said:

then someone as smart as you should know better than to make statements correlating bar exam performance to IQ, or thinking in any way that performance on that exam 30+ years ago qualifies (or disqualifies) anyone to hold office.

there are many, many reasons to criticize Kamala Harris. this isn't one of them.
It absolutely is.
It points to her not being the sharpest tool in the shed. It wouldn't have mattered if she had some outstanding achievements to her name, but she doesn't.

Like Obama, she's just an empty suit - taking advantage of self loathing white libs who are impressed by the fact that she has a uterus and her skin is dark.
Look, I'm not fan of her, but these statements are just silly. She has been DA of a major city, AG of the biggest state, senator of said state, and VP. She has a resume.
None of those jobs requires competence or intelligence.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Hungry Ojos
Her words: "In studying for the bar, I had put forward the most half-a**ed performance of my life,"

So, the biggest moment of your professional career warranted, in your own words, a "half-a**ed" effort.

But yeah, perfectly prepared to hold the highest office in the world.
VitruvianAg
AG
93MarineHorn said:

OP claims to care about 1st time bar failure of Harris, then goes on to list all the DEMOCRATS that failed their first attempt. Pathetic troll job.
FIFY
barbacoa taco
AG
Jack Boyette said:

barbacoa taco said:

she literally did pass. just not on the first try. your post makes it sound like she never passed.

question: if you had an experienced lawyer with a very solid resume and the right experience apply to your firm, and you asked him or her if they passed the bar on the first try, and the answer was "no, but I passed the second time" would that be a dealbreaker?

No.

But do you understand the very obvious distinction (to anyone with a functioning brain)? That person is applying to work at my law firm, not my vote to be the most powerful person in the world.

Slight difference.
I understand. I just think it's ridiculous given that the bar exam isn't a prerequisite to holding any type of office. And for people to get hung up on it even after someone's had a successful career is really stupid.

It is what it is. The bar exam is just an exam. We can debate over whether it's predictive of success in one's legal career, but I maintain that a 2-3 day exam is nothing compared to real experience. And if it's been several decades since someone took then exam it's hard to argue it's at all relevant in evaluating their competence today.

Whatever. if it were up to me, the president wouldn't have ever taken the bar exam. we have enough lawyers in government.
Jack Boyette
barbacoa taco said:

Jack Boyette said:

barbacoa taco said:

she literally did pass. just not on the first try. your post makes it sound like she never passed.

question: if you had an experienced lawyer with a very solid resume and the right experience apply to your firm, and you asked him or her if they passed the bar on the first try, and the answer was "no, but I passed the second time" would that be a dealbreaker?

No.

But do you understand the very obvious distinction (to anyone with a functioning brain)? That person is applying to work at my law firm, not my vote to be the most powerful person in the world.

Slight difference.
I understand. I just think it's ridiculous given that the bar exam isn't a prerequisite to holding any type of office. And for people to get hung up on it even after someone's had a successful career is really stupid.

It is what it is. The bar exam is just an exam. We can debate over whether it's predictive of success in one's legal career, but I maintain that a 2-3 day exam is nothing compared to real experience. And if it's been several decades since someone took then exam it's hard to argue it's at all relevant in evaluating their competence today.

Whatever. if it were up to me, the president wouldn't have ever taken the bar exam. we have enough lawyers in government.

She hasn't had a successful career.

Nobody is arguing that more or less lawyers are needed in government. That's not the point. The point is she's not a smart person, and this is yet another example of why.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
farmersfight97 said:

I don't think Kamala has what it takes to be POTUS. She lacks intelligence, seriousness, and work-ethic.
Her lack of prep when it comes to speeches or interviews shows someone that is not serious and has no work ethic. I think it has been said from her own staff that she doesn't do anything to prepare or be informed. That is a sign of someone who has not had to work in a long time and likely never experienced the pressure of grinding. As for intelligence it seems it is lacking but she did go to law school and pass the bar so she is smart, just not very intelligent.
Logos Stick
barbacoa taco said:

Not really. because she still had to get through Harvard, graduate, pass the bar, and then have a successful legal career. The LSAT is just a dumb test college kids take on a Saturday morning that is a gatekeeper to law school.

Also, as we all know, passing the bar isn't a prerequisite to being president, let alone any politician. In fact, we should have more non lawyers in politics.

Dude, stop.

She is pure DEI. She was pushed through Harvard because of affirmative action. She's dumber than a rock. You know it. We all know it.

You're not a lawyer and you're talking out your ass about the value of entrance exams.

I bet you think the sat is a "dumb test" too.
aggiehawg
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Not really. because she still had to get through Harvard, graduate, pass the bar, and then have a successful legal career. The LSAT is just a dumb test college kids take on a Saturday morning that is a gatekeeper to law school.

Also, as we all know, passing the bar isn't a prerequisite to being president, let alone any politician. In fact, we should have more non lawyers in politics.
Kamala never attended Harvard, much less graduated from there.
barbacoa taco
AG
was talking about KBJ (re: her LSAT score)
Squadron7
AG
Having never been to law school, I still have a grasp of what the definition of "is" is.
Prosperdick
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Kamala failed the first Bar exam.
RFK Jr didn't pass it for 3 years.

That means Donald Trump is the only major presidential candidate to never fail the BAR exam.
Tramp96
Captain Pablo said:

Dammit, I was coming here to post this exact gif.

Well played, sir.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Logos Stick said:

barbacoa taco said:

Dude, stop.

She is pure DEI. She was pushed through Harvard because of affirmative action. She's dumber than a rock. You know it. We all know it.

You're not a lawyer and you're talking out your ass about the value of entrance exams.

I bet you think the sat is a "dumb test" too.
She does seem dumb, what I wonder is does suburban America see her that way? Do white women see her that way? She has largely been hidden away and now she will be perfectly curated for the public.
aggiehawg
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That means Donald Trump is the only major presidential candidate to never fail the BAR exam.
RFK, Jr.? Or JFK, Jr.?
Guitarsoup
AG
aggiehawg said:

Guitarsoup said:

RFK, Jr.? Or JFK, Jr.?
RFK Jr.

Turns out that JFK Jr can only vote for the president (provided he votes democrat), not run for President since he has been dead for 25 years.
Captain Pablo
AG
Tramp96 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Well played, sir.

Dude. I posted it on the first page.
Tramp96
Captain Pablo said:

Tramp96 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Well played, sir.

Dude. I posted it on the first page.

I've been working all morning. Just now saw the thread.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Just wanted to post my LSAT score.

Didn't attend law school.
Aston04
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Your third line shows you are smart.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Aston04 said:

RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Your third line shows you are smart.

Counterpoint. I went to med school.
barbacoa taco
AG
i guess you have a thing for standardized tests
txwxman
Hungry Ojos said:

Really? You don't prefer your world leaders to be competent?

Because trump would pass the bar on the first try? 10th? 100th?
IIIHorn
Two lawyers passed the bar.

The third one went in.
_mpaul
AG
Jack Boyette said:

Dan Scott said:

If Rs make this an issue then they must be in trouble.

It's a massive indictment of her intelligence. I'm a lawyer. If you fail the bar, you're either lazy or stupid.

I'm a lawyer, too, and I think this is a bad take. The CA bar is one of the hardest in the country. Regardless I know plenty of fine lawyers who didn't pass the first time. I can't stand Cackles, but there' are way better things to be going after her on than this.

And yes, I passed the first time.
General Jack D. Ripper
Tom Fox said:

A trained chimp can pass the bar exam.

I'm assuming you're not a lawyer and therefore have no idea what you're talking about. The bar exam is a tough exam. I passed it the first time but I knew a few very intelligent people that didn't pass it the first time. Some had to take it a few times.

That said:

1. This was a troll job by OP and only a few picked up on it. I'd say those posters wouldn't pass the bar either.

2. There are many other things to focus on with this lizard, bar passage is immaterial.
There was this one time at ban camp…
Tom Fox
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Tom Fox said:

I'm assuming you're not a lawyer and therefore have no idea what you're talking about. The bar exam is a tough exam. I passed it the first time but I knew a few very intelligent people that didn't pass it the first time. Some had to take it a few times.

That said:

1. This was a troll job by OP and only a few picked up on it. I'd say those posters wouldn't pass the bar either.

2. There are many other things to focus on with this lizard, bar passage is immaterial.

I'm a lawyer. It was a joke if you are reasonably intelligent.

My law school class had around a 94% 1st time passage rate.
smucket
AG
Quote:

you're either lazy or stupid
It took me a few times to pass the CPA exam. I am stupid. But I am far more lazy. I would not promote myself as someone who should run the country. Neither should she/her/they/it sitting in the blue suit.
Guitarsoup
AG
Tom Fox said:

General Jack D. Ripper said:

Tom Fox said:

That said:

I'm a lawyer. It was a joke if you are reasonably intelligent.

My law school class had around a 94% 1st time passage rate.

So you didn't go to Thurgood Marshall School of Law?
General Jack D. Ripper
The bar has little to do with "intelligence." The LSAT has to do with intelligence but the bar is not an aptitude test.
There was this one time at ban camp…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.