Median housing at $400k

21,700 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AggieUSMC
hedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Absolutely insane man, my parent bought their house in 1999 for $450k it's now over a 1MM with minimal upgrades.

Good luck everyone
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
How are most people able to carry a 400k note at current rates?

ETA I'm not talking about the millionaires here on TexAgs. I'm talking about Joe Sixpack and Jane Boxwine.
C@LAg
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

we will begin dealing with the effects of that in the not so distant future.

mortgage stimulus checks if you are black, brown, illegal or live X% under some dem-defined economic line.
Texmid
AG
I live in Smithville, Texas. I bought my house in 2010 for $195,000. Today the appraisal district has it valued at $459,584.
Heineken-Ashi

ETA I'm not talking about the millionaires here on TexAgs. I'm talking about Joe Sixpack and Jane Boxwine.

They can't. Which is why sales volume is down and months of inventory is up. Price looks good when you don't consider that nobody is transacting.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Sea Speed
AG

I would assume people that want something half decent will have to move to an area like mine. There's a remodeled home with a pool, a shop, an air conditioner gym and 2 apartments for sale in my area for 315k and it's on I think .67 acres. There's plenty more affordable housing, it just isn't in the cool hip areas. Certainly there will have to be a resistance in places like this.
Tex117
AG
Man....people better quit drinking expensive coffee and eating avocados.

Or go live in a ghetto. I can't believe how entitled all of these people are.

Certainly macroeconomic factors don't influence home affordability.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
5%? Texas taxing appraisals be like "hold my beer"
JobSecurity
AG

For reference, 400k with 20% down @ 6.75% with 2.2% property tax and average insurance is around ~3000/mo

Definitely tight for an "average" household of 80k but I wouldn't say impossible
Dill-Ag13
AG
I feel for future generations. Homeownership is getting out of reach for single income nuclear traditional families.
cavjock88
AG
Let this sink in. My Dad bought our 4/2 house in the Sharpstown subdivision of Houston for $10K in 1968 with a 2.5% note. Three years earlier my Grandmother bought a 1965 Olds Jetstar 88 for $1.75K cash (last year without pollution control). For the typical America those types of things just aren't possible anymore.
Sims
AG

The note is probably doable (by itself).

Add insurance, property tax, maintenance etc and you are cruisin for a bruisin compared to 5 years ago.

Home ownership is leaving the grasp of many.
barbacoa taco
AG
and this is why younger generations get annoyed when boomers say things like "back in my day i bought a house at age 23 during my first job out of college, why can't you?"
Stat Monitor Repairman
Sea Speed said:

I would assume people that want something half decent will have to move to an area like mine. There's a remodeled home with a pool, a shop, an air conditioner gym and 2 apartments for sale in my area for 315k and it's on I think .67 acres. There's plenty more affordable housing, it just isn't in the cool hip areas. Certainly there will have to be a resistance in places like this.
Ultimately what it boils down to.

There's plenty affordable houses with land in flyover states but just not in any place that any Gen Zer wants to live.

There's also plenty of high-paid jobs out there that require being away from home for long periods living on rig, ship, barge or man camp, but nobody wants to be away from wifi or Suzie rottencrotch.
DallasAg 94

They can't. That is why you see all of these multi-family dwellings popping up everywhere.
hedge
Yea I would have to leave my industry learn a trade, spend money and pivot to a off shore rigging. I just a want an American bungalow for a decent price man
Carlo4
AG
JobSecurity said:

For reference, 400k with 20% down @ 6.75% with 2.2% property tax and average insurance is around ~3000/mo

Definitely tight for an "average" household of 80k but I wouldn't say impossible

Taking you literally by your example. $80k salary household with $3k a month. After taxes looking at $60k to $65k for the year with $36k going to the house.

55% to 60% of your take home pay on your house alone will never be sustainable long term for anyone.
tysker
AG
Sea Speed said:

Are there a white collar jobs available within 30 miles of your area? If you're spending an hour commuting both ways and missing your kid's baseball games, it may be worth it to live in the more expensive, hip location
A Net Full of Jello
AG
We bought our first house in October of 2011. It was just over 2200 square feet in an Austin suburb and we paid right around $120,000 for it. Today, that home is appraised at $334,425. It went up 277% in 13 years. That's obscene.
Sea Speed
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Sea Speed said:

Ultimately what it boils down to.

There's plenty affordable houses with land in flyover states but just not in any place that any Gen Zer wants to live.

There's also plenty of high-paid jobs out there that require being away from home for long periods living on rig, ship, barge or man camp, but nobody wants to be away from wifi or Suzie rottencrotch.

Hell I am not even in a flyover state. I'm 1.5hrs from league city or the woodlands. Can get downtown in around that as well. 2 hours from Galveston. You don't have to go to BFE to get something nice and affordable.

Agreed on the job front. I'm at my house doing whatever the hell I want for more than 6 months a year and we are inside the top 10% of household incomes. That's a pretty solid trade off of you ask me. Takes a little more sacrifice as you get started but can't beat it as your adult life unfolds. Not many want that hard work and sacrifice these days though.
NASAg03
Sims said:

The note is probably doable (by itself).

Add insurance, property tax, maintenance etc and you are cruisin for a bruisin compared to 5 years ago.

Home ownership is leaving the grasp of many.
Not sure where those numbers are coming from.

I bought my first house last spring. 3% down on a $430k house. Mortgage (P&I), mortgage insurance, home owner's insurance, and taxes in Colorado are about $3200 / month. If rate drops, I'll refinance and drop that a few hundred per month.

Yes, those are still high. But a 2bed / 2.5bath rental apartment is the same here in Colorado.

I have some excess for home improvement and repairs, and savings, but that's as an ME 20 years into his career. I'll be getting married in 1.5months so that will provide extra income for savings.

And my home value has already increased about $20K so there is still demand and purchases are happening.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Sea Speed
AG
There are law offices and engineering firms and I'm sure plenty of other businesses that are white collar, yes.
Teslag
AG
barbacoa taco said:

and this is why younger generations get annoyed when boomers say things like "back in my day i bought a house at age 23 during my first job out of college, why can't you?"

They still can if they choose the right major
barbacoa taco
AG
the vast majority can't. and even with a well paying job right out of school, it will take a few years to save for a down payment in a major metro area. it's very different now than it was in the 60s and 70s.
Signel
AG

Wages always lag behind inflation. Wages will continue to rise because the value of the dollar has dropped so far (IMO.)
tysker
AG
Sea Speed said:

There are law offices and engineering firms and I'm sure plenty of other businesses that are white collar, yes.
Are those firms hiring and are there jobs available matching the skills and qualifications labor pool?
A Net Full of Jello
AG
barbacoa taco said:

That is a frustrating thing to hear, for sure, because circumstances are not equal now to how they were when Boomers were in their twenties and thirties. I think that we can all agree, though, that younger millennials and older Gen Zs who are entering the workforce have different priorities than Boomers and even GenXers. They do not remember the years their parents struggle financially and used only one car or two beat up cars, didn't go on nice vacations and would settle for a trip to Six Flags every couple of years, and didn't eat out often at all. They remember the prosperous years and expect to have a similar lifestyle right out of college. And even if they don't consciously realize it, many do prioritize the latest gadgets and toys, evenings out with friends, and fun vacations. They aren't saving for an investing in the future.
Owlagdad
Meanwhile.... its a great time to be a mobile home salesman in rural area or small towns.
People still want out of duplex and apartments.
zooguy96
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

We bought our first house in October of 2011. It was just over 2200 square feet in an Austin suburb and we paid right around $120,000 for it. Today, that home is appraised at $334,425. It went up 277% in 13 years. That's obscene.

We bought our first home in Leander in 2011. It was $135,000. We sold it. I looked at the assessed value now - $468,000. That's carazy!!!!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
LMCane

they can't

which is why last month had the slowest amount of buyers in years-

maybe since the Great Recession
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Yea I would have to leave my industry learn a trade, spend money and pivot to a off shore rigging.
Good job proving you don't want to do what is necessary to improve your life.
Sid Farkas
AG
I can chime in about the California market. Supply is artificially tight due to government regs.

If you own a home, you're golden. If you don't, you're ****ed.

Sacramento is finally figuring it out. Here in Los Angeles the regs are being magically bypassed and high density construction is going up everywhere. My guess is, those will all turn into slums because California govt is so stupid.
Teslag
AG
barbacoa taco said:

the vast majority can't. and even with a well paying job right out of school, it will take a few years to save for a down payment in a major metro area. it's very different now than it was in the 60s and 70s.

With FHA they will only need 3.5%. Ya they will have to pay PMI but that's cheaper than the rising costs of waiting.
zooguy96
AG
We bought in 2018. $224,000. Our house is now valued at around $450,000. Thankfully, taxes here are low, and we refinanced at 3%. But, no way we could get a nicer house now - rate would be too high and payment would be too high.

Luckily, our mortgage is $4-500 lower than a 1 BR apt. Which is crazy land.

Thanks, democRats.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Sea Speed
AG
tysker said:

Sea Speed said:

Are those firms hiring and are there jobs available matching the skills and qualifications labor pool?

On cursory search on indeed there were over 100 jobs with the word engineer and 22 with the term lawyer listed locally. There were also a ton of remote lawyer jobs from what I could tell. There are also hospital systems and doctors offices. Neighborhoods going up and retail being built. Oil and gas infrastructure is being built up etc etc. I am certain there are jobs for those willing to look here. There is also very affordable housing for those willing to move to this area. It isn't glamorous, but wgas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.