Is Caitlin Clark popular because she's white?

41,096 Views | 385 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by MarkTwain
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MarkTwain said:

I played high-school and college water polo; player's fingernails were checked before every game, and forced cutting occurred.
The Banned
satexas said:

I'll just say it :

1. She's very talented. Speaks for itself.

2. She's white. That adds some fans that like to see their own race in sports, whether it be a white girl on a mostly black sport or a black person in a mostly white sport. It's reality.

3. She's straight. Hey, say what you want but people do tire of a bunch of raging non-straight, possibly trans, people in a sport. That's reality.

When men act like women in sports, it's NOT attractive to the audience as a whole. Why wouldn't the reverse be true when a bunch of women act like a bunch of men in their sport?

4. Attractive (to some) and not full of makeup, fake nails, fake eyelashes. This isn't a racist comment nor meant towards any particular race. But if you want guy fans, this helps. I look at Angel Reese and see a talented basketball clown with a beach-face 24/7. It's what I see. It's highly unappealing to me to watch that.

1. Most important because people going to see her are probably bringing their daughters. She has skill, which creates hype, which gets daughters excited to go see her.

2. I don't think this is accurate. Think Christian McCaffrey. How long has it been since there has been a dominant white RB? Yet his jersey still gets outsold by black RBs.

3. This probably moves the needle some. If you're bringing your daughter, probably want someone to emulate.

4. Don't think many guys are tuning in to truly raise the ratings enough to matter outside of degen gamblers.

I think the real reason is the ESPN hype machine. She broke a ton of records and ESPN wanted someone to get eyeballs on the WNBA. Griner did give it a bump but that was back in 2013 before the wokeism was fully manifest. Had griner hit center stage in 2023/24, I think she would have had similar momentum
StandUpforAmerica
Nick Wright with this horribly bad take. He tries to make these petty women in the WNBA the victims.

MallalieuAg
AG
Yes .
rooftop18403
StandUpforAmerica said:

Nick Wright with this horribly bad take. He tries to make these petty women in the WNBA the victims.

That guy sucks.
mm98
AG
Nick is a ******. Always has been. Only thing I enjoyed from him was calling out Tom Herman on live radio

He's goes for shock value in most of his takes.
DrEvazanPhD
mm98 said:

Nick is a ******. Always has been. Only thing I enjoyed from him was calling out Tom Herman on live radio

He's goes for shock value in most of his takes.
Dude sucked when he was on Houston radio. And talk about a face for radio
Serious Lee
ya'll hear that, its all the bullies that are the victims now. and its all caitlyn clarks fault.

Stat Monitor Repairman
WNBA needs to raise ticket prices to keep out all the riff-raff.

Guilt the NBA to commit to covering their losses.

Demonstrate that fighting racism isn't just a catchphrase we just put on the back of our jerseys.
WestTexasAg
AG
Caitlin Clark
HtownAg92
AG
My question -- everything in the history of the universe is captured by a cell phone these days. Why have we not seen any videos of these rampant racial slurs being thrown at WNBA players?
93MarineHorn
Serious Lee said:

ya'll hear that, its all the bullies that are the victims now. and its all caitlyn clarks fault.

I don't believe Griner. Unless they've got proof of actual racist slurs being screamed at them, they are fos.

What she probably means is that she doesn't like the "new fans" calling out her girlfriends' thug tactics against CC. To these frauds, any criticism is perceived as racism.
AgGrad99
AG

If I were one of the executives of the league, I'd have a league-wide meeting with the players immediately.

They seem to be doing everything they can to kill their golden calf, and alienate fans. I mean good gosh...the gall to call out 'new fans'!! You should be falling over yourself to attract new fans, because you've had very few in the past.

The ONLY reason they've existed to this point, is because the NBA subsidized them all these years. They need to realize that for the first time, the league has a chance to break even....and they have a chance to make more $$ individually, with the higher profile of the league this past year.

Simply put, they need to understand that they're pissing in their own cheerio bowl, and the league's cheerio bowl, and they need to reverse course yesterday.
The Banned
AgGrad99 said:

If I were one of the executives of the league, I'd have a league-wide meeting with the players immediately.

They seem to be doing everything they can to kill their golden calf, and alienate fans. I mean good gosh...the gall to call out 'new fans'!! You should be falling over yourself to attract new fans, because you've had very few in the past.

The ONLY reason they've existed to this point, is because the NBA subsidized them all these years. They need to realize that for the first time, the league has a chance to break even....and they have a chance to make more $$ individually, with the higher profile of the league this past year.

Simply put, they need to understand that they're pissing in their own cheerio bowl, and the league's cheerio bowl, and they need to reverse course yesterday.

Doesn't matter. Politics over profits. We see it everywhere and it doesn't help that they are insulated from their dumbassery by the NBA footing the bill.
Stat Monitor Repairman
BREAKING:

Woman gets released from Russian prison, gets job playing basketball, complains about not getting paid enough and also complains about hearing words from crowd.
DBird
His wife will have him on the couch if he doesn't say this.

I've listened to his radio shows a lot when he was on 610 in Houston, Mad Dog Sports, and currently on First Things First on Fox Sports. It seems that ever since he got the Mad Dog Sports gig that he just says things that I don't even think he believes. Which makes him a hypocrite because that is exactly what he is accusing Caitlin Clark fans of. Gaslighting the discourse so that he can gain notoriety as a quick hit clickbait journalist.
No Spin Ag
93MarineHorn said:

Serious Lee said:

I don't believe Griner. Unless they've got proof of actual racist slurs being screamed at them, they are fos.

What she probably means is that she doesn't like the "new fans" calling out her girlfriends' thug tactics against CC. To these frauds, any criticism is perceived as racism.

But even if it was proven (by whatever metric satisfied the skeptic) that she was called those specific words, do you think those who agree with the people calling her those words would ever denounce those people? Or would they find another excuse to blow it off?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Artimus Gordon
AG
Caitlyn's team lost so the wnba can be unburdened by the racism Caitlyn brought to the league from here on in.

The can now go back to the realm of obscurity financed by the nba
TexasAggiesWin
S
Artimus Gordon said:

Caitlyn's team lost so the wnba can be unburdened by the racism Caitlyn brought to the league from here on in.

The can now go back to the realm of obscurity financed by the nba
What can be, unburdened by what has been
Stat Monitor Repairman
Aflac needs to put Catalin and Griner on a commercial with Nick Saban and Coach Prime.
MarkTwain
This dude claims Caitlin Clark brought a bunch of racist fans on board

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
torrid
AG
I heard something on the radio for a podcast about Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese, and how their rivalry was saving the WNBA. I honestly had no idea who Angel Reese was until I heard the ad. Hell I could only name one other player besides Caitlin Clark, and of course we all know that has nothing to do with basketball.
themissinglink
AG
Really weird that I can't find any videos of fans yelling racist crap at WNBA games. With all the new attention and access to social media, I was sure they would show up somewhere.

All I can find is videos of intentional flagrant fouls against white girls that WNBA refs strangely refuse to call.

I guess the players miss playing in front of 100 fans and flying in coach on commercial airlines.
ChemAg15
AG
The WNBA players just don't understand why no one watches their sport. It's an enigma to them. So clearly when a new interesting player shows up and it piques interest it must be because that player is white.
mm98
AG
Everyone here should go rewatch Bill Burr's bit on the wnba. It never gets old.
MarkTwain
mm98 said:

Everyone here should go rewatch Bill Burr's bit on the wnba. It never gets old.

I wouldn't listen to Burr if he was calling out the winning powerball numbers. Eff him and the mule he rode in on.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Stat Monitor Repairman
Why the hate for ol Billy Twinkle Toes?
Eddy85
Yes. The audience is majority white.
TexAgs91
AG
> Is Caitlin Clark popular because she's white?

I know plenty of white women who are not popular. Must be something else.
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
No Spin Ag
TexAgs91 said:

> Is Caitlin Clark popular because she's white?

I know plenty of white women who are not popular. Must be something else.

Because she's a talented white woman?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
MarkTwain
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Obviously you don't pay much attention to him and his ***** wife
StandUpforAmerica
I guess the league needed Caitlin Clark more than they realized.

hedge
I do think it's funny that the people who cry for diversity/representation are upset white people have found their representation in Caitlin Clark.

Here's a link to quite possibly the most insufferable article I've ever read.

https://andscape.com/features/indiana-fever-connecticut-sun-wnba-racism/
DX2011
AG
MarkTwain said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Obviously you don't pay much attention to him and his ***** wife

Nope, just watch his standup and some podcasts/content and find him and his commentary hilarious. I would love some actual examples or even antidotes to know what would make someone this angry over an entertainer, maybe I'm missing something.
No Spin Ag
StandUpforAmerica said:

I guess the league needed Caitlin Clark more than they realized.

Did they show the viewership for the games at the same time last year? I'd want to know if they're back to those numbers or if they're higher than last year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.