Harrison Butker Commencement Speech at Benedictine College

16,954 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RAB91
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Quote:

...and of course, the left is demanding Butker be kicked off the Chiefs and out of the NFL. You can bet he'll be called in to the principal's office, at the very least.

The Chiefs owner is a devout Christian billionaire who has donated large sums of money to the Republican Party and low key threatened to fine players who kneeled for the anthem.

I think Butker is gonna be ok
Not to mention, in the last 2 Super Bowls, Butker 1) kicked the go ahead FG with <0:10 left, and 2) scored 13 of the Chief's 25 points, including a SB record 57 yard FG.

Like you, Imma say he's gonna be aight.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
aTm2004 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Quote:

...and of course, the left is demanding Butker be kicked off the Chiefs and out of the NFL. You can bet he'll be called in to the principal's office, at the very least.

The Chiefs owner is a devout Christian billionaire who has donated large sums of money to the Republican Party and low key threatened to fine players who kneeled for the anthem.

I think Butker is gonna be ok
Not to mention, in the last 2 Super Bowls, Butker 1) kicked the go ahead FG with <0:10 left, and 2) scored 13 of the Chief's 25 points, including a SB record 57 yard FG.

Like you, Imma say he's gonna be aight.
That is called, FU skills.
aTm2004
AG
Indeed.
ds00
I don't probably agree with most of what he said, but calling for his job is dumb. Don't invite him to your function if you don't like what he has to say.
Ham Slice MRE
AG
My favorite part about the petition is where they tack on 'racist' for no reason.
Bob Lee
AG
ds00 said:

I don't probably agree with most of what he said, but calling for his job is dumb. Don't invite him to your function if you don't like what he has to say.

It's not Benedictine complaining.
ds00
TarponChaser said:

There are some things that I can quibble with in Butker's speech but nothing major and nothing I'd really care to get into. But he's completely correct about the "diabolical lies" told to women.

The simple fact is that women, especially those of the "Third Wave Feminism" generation (ie- women currently in their late-30's to early/mid-50's" were told all the time about how "you can have it all" when for the vast, vast majority you cannot.

My wife and a number of her close girlfriends (a group of 10 or so) are extremely successful in their respective careers in their mid-40s. General counsel for a large oilfield services company, Regional VP for a public homebuilder, National Sales Directors at medical device companies, and physicians. All of them have kids. Most of them have husbands who also work and are successful as well. A couple have husbands who are HS teachers/coaches. The only one who isn't happily married is a woman who lost her husband a few years ago after he passed from a long battle with cancer.

Anyway, every single one of them feels like they were lied to about how "you can have it all." Because, every single one of them has felt like they had to sacrifice in either their family lives as wives and mothers or in their careers. The balance is difficult to achieve when they were told their entire lives how they wouldn't have to sacrifice anything to have any of that.

I don't know that any of them have regrets.

But, I find it somewhat rich that women(not so much this group of friends but in the media, etc) are feeling the consequences of these sacrifices in one area or another and so many make a big deal about it as being because of the "patriarchy" or whatever when these sacrifices of how to balance being your career, marriage, and parenting is something men have had to do for virtually the entirety of human history. We just didn't bleed all over the media about it until very recently.
I don't necessarily disagree with you about having it all, but traditionally and even today most fathers have been asked to sacrifice career much less frequently due to having a much smaller role in day to day parenting. Not saying all of course.
ds00
Bob Lee said:

ds00 said:

It's not Benedictine complaining.
Meaning the ones complaining should just not invite him to their function instead of complaining.
TarponChaser
Right, men traditionally haven't been asked to sacrifice as much but the fact is there's always a concern over our impacts as fathers and balancing career with being a dad.
StandUpforAmerica
The official account for Kansas City tried to somewhat dox him before removing the tweet.

zag213004
AG
Why spend $35k plus on tuition alone per year at a college when you are more excited about getting married and having babies? If most women are most excited about getting an MRS degree wouldn't it make financial sense to go to a community college or at most a trade school? But then again this college acceptance rate is 98.8%
747Ag
AG
zag213004 said:

Why spend $35k plus on tuition alone per year at a college when you are more excited about getting married and having babies? If most women are most excited about getting an MRS degree wouldn't it make financial sense to go to a community college or at most a trade school? But then again this college acceptance rate is 98.8%
Perhaps they don't meet someone in college (e.g. my wife).

Perhaps they desire a fallback skill/career should they be widowed.

Perhaps they desire to go to work too.

Perhaps they desire a skill/degree to parlay into homeschooling stay-at-home-mom work (e.g. my wife).

Perhaps they won't ever get married.

Perhaps something else...

...and all of this in a Catholic environment not available at a trade school or the local junior college.
Bob Lee
AG
I've been watching videos of people slamming his speech. They don't comprehend what Butker is actually saying.
Most of them interpret his speech to mean that he's telling female graduates they've just wasted 4 years of their life. They view education purely in terms of a means to a career and money. Education for the sake of knowledge, training our consciences, and in furtherance of serving all of our primary vocations that is serving God and becoming saints. They don't understand it. I think this is the first time they've ever heard of Benedictine, but this commencement speech at that college, is the least shocking thing I may have ever seen.

The other thing being lost in translation is people don't understand how Catholics view vocation. There are particulars in life that you should subordinate to your primary vocation. Career is one of those particulars that should serve women's role as mother and wife. Just as for men our career serves our role as husband and father. There happens to be more tension between those things for women based on their role as mothers. So many women get it upside down. They forgo having children or neglect their children's education in service to their disordered ambition, and in furtherance of their career. They outsource the role of their children's primary educator to the government. He's not saying women should not pursue work outside the home. He's saying we should order things in their proper place.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Tolerance apparently is a one way street?
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
AggieVictor10
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

AggieVictor10 said:

Why do athletes need to bring their political beliefs into things? Just shut up and play ball.
Not sure if being sarcastic. But if not.... I'd agree with you if he was doing this at or around a game. Butker is Catholic. HIs comments are in line with Catholic teachings. This commencement speech was at s very traditional/conservative Catholic school. His speech was a perfect fit for the environment and crowd.

Thank you for the insight!
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
AgBQ-00
AG
to see the left meltdown over this is hysterical. yet we are supposed to sit quietly by while they pervert little kids and dismember kids in utero. No. The time for live and let live is over. Time for boldness and unapologetic traditional values to make a comeback.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AggieVictor10 said:

Why do athletes need to bring their political beliefs into things? Just shut up and play ball.
RAB91
747Ag said:

zag213004 said:

Perhaps they desire a skill/degree to parlay into homeschooling stay-at-home-mom work (e.g. my wife).

...and all of this in a Catholic environment not available at a trade school or the local junior college.
Great points....

Random comment.... There's a trade school program that is now partnering with Franciscan University of Steubenville. I don't know the details, but it is an interesting concept.
https://www.collegeofstjoseph.com/
TommyBrady
AG
Patrick Mahomes bows to the left and says he doesn't even talk to his kicker.
Bob Lee
AG
My oldest is 10, so I've just been dabbling in researching colleges. There's a new STEM school in Rome called Catholic Institute of Technology. These kind of approaches to education are exciting. Another one I'm paying attention to is the Collegium in Maryland. Benedictine, Christendom, and Belmont Abbey all seem awesome too.
Old_Ag_91
AG
If he goes to a game, spits on, burns, and jumps on the american flag at an NFL game on live tv all will be forgiven::said every lgbtqplusser.
StockHorseAg
AG
I would like to add that one of my Wife's friends from church went to Benedictine College. I forget what she did right out of college but not too long after she was a montessori school teacher. After her and her Husband had their second child, she became a full time Mom. So his speech hits the nail on the head for her experience.
aTm2004
AG
Remove the space after the x. Language will catch the ban if I posted it the correct way.

https://x .com/robprovince/status/1791090021694365891?s=61
johnnyblaze36
AG
Wild to see the NFL heads get offended by this and call him out but not have the courage to say a single word about Kaepernick calling them modern day slave owners. That seems far more offensive to me.

747Ag
AG
RAB91 said:

747Ag said:

zag213004 said:

Great points....

Random comment.... There's a trade school program that is now partnering with Franciscan University of Steubenville. I don't know the details, but it is an interesting concept.
https://www.collegeofstjoseph.com/
I've heard of this. And it's an interesting development.

Currently, my eldest son has been pursuing a Mech Engr degree, and should be done next spring.

Next in line are a slew of daughters, and none have expressed interest in the 4-yr degree. Two of looked at massage/beauty school (eldest of which starts her job on Monday). A third wants to visit convents. Younger kids are all over the map because they are 10 and under.
TarponChaser
johnnyblaze36 said:

Wild to see the NFL heads get offended by this and call him out but not have the courage to say a single word about Kaepernick calling them modern day slave owners. That seems far more offensive to me.

The NFL doesn't really care, it's nitwit lefties twitter-bombing the interwebs over it. Just ignore it and it will go away.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
johnnyblaze36 said:

Who called him out? The official release from the NFL was pretty simple and supportive of his right to say what he wants.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Who called him out? The official release from the NFL was pretty simple and supportive of his right to say what he wants.
https://people.com/harrison-butker-nfl-does-not-share-views-in-graduation-speech-8649229

Quote:

Commenting on Butker's speech for the first time May 15, the NFL said that his views differ from those of the organization.

"Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity," Jonathan Beane, the NFL's senior vice president and chief diversity and inclusion officer, tells PEOPLE in a written statement. "His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger."

Also, Jonathan Beane's job position should be eliminated as it is useless nonsense.
ProgN

johnnyblaze36 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-13425061/NFL-Harrison-Butker-views-Benedictine-college.html
Quote:

The NFL's chief DEI officer has now stepped in to make it clear that Butker's statements were 'personal' and do not reflect the league's efforts to make football more inclusive

'Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity. His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger,' the league's chief diversity and inclusion officer, Jonathan Beane, said.

'His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger,' Beane, who is also a senior vice president, said.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
That's calling him out? Seems like they are saying they disagree, at the most.

Seems like the reaction is being blown out of proportion, like the speech.
MallalieuAg
AG
But the NFL lets you show you hate America by kneeling.
Rockdoc
AG

When they make a response like that, that's being called out.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rockdoc said:

Hopefully, he can withstand such a rebuke and them defending his right to free speech.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rockdoc
AG

Rockdoc said:

Hopefully, he can withstand such a rebuke and them defending his right to free speech.

I bet he can. Seems like a strong conservative.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.