*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

532,787 Views | 6652 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Foreverconservative
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Robert Costello reviews an email string between his partner Jeff Citron and Michael Cohen. He is cc'ed on the chain.
Prosecutor Susan Hoffinger asks him if he was hoping to represent Cohen.
Costello responds, "I wasn't hoping anything, it wasn't my email."
Costello says it arose from his partner's longtime relationship with Cohen.
"I didn't know Michael Cohen from a hole in the wall," Costello says
Hoffinger asks, "So you weren't hoping to represent Michael Cohen?"
"No, I wasn't."
Costello says he met with Cohen "because Jeff Citron made an arrangement with Michael Cohen, and he asked me to come along" because Citron was primarily a real estate lawyer, Costello says.
Hoffinger asks if it was a "high-profile" case for him?
"Probably, yes," Costello responds.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Because courts have rules on what can be allowed in as evidence, whereas congressional hearings are made so the members on the committee can have their made-for-tv moments.
Are you really defending what is happening with Merchan and Costello here?
HTownAg98
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Because courts have rules on what can be allowed in as evidence, whereas congressional hearings are made so the members on the committee can have their made-for-tv moments.
Are you really defending what is happening with Merchan and Costello here?
No, just pointing out the different set of rules.
Foreverconservative
Prosecutor Hoffinger: To the grand jury you called him a drama queen?
Costello: I said I didn't know.
Hoffinger: You don't like drama queens?
Costello: I don't know.
Hoffinger: He went with another lawyer.
Justice Merchan: Please approach
[sidebar - its 4:35 pm]
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Tramp96
Foreverconservative said:

Oh here they go...here they go...gonna get the LGBTQ+ mob rain down on him.
Foreverconservative
Justice Merchan: We'll break here for the day.
[Jury leaves]
Prosecutor Hoffinger: I have 30 or 45 minutes left
Defense: Re-direct will be short.
Justice Merchan: So you'll rest early tomorrow.
Trump's lawyer Blanche: We request an order of dismissal
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Tramp96
Foreverconservative said:

You know, the rest of us working stiffs have to work past 5...no reason why the judge can't.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Defense: Re-direct will be short.

Justice Merchan: So you'll rest early tomorrow.

Judge already gettin' after them boys!
aezmvp
aggiehawg said:

Nothing funny about this anymore.

Normally when a lawyer forgets to get something in with a foundational witness it is too bad so sad. Deal with it.

Merchan's career as a judge should be over after this. The state board on Judicial Conduct will have to open an investigation.
Yeah like that's gonna happen. Same thing with the Bar in NY. Nothing will happen except this guy gets drinks bought for him. Or investment advice. He was hand picked, had committed ethics violations involving donating to a defendant in his cases political opponent and his daughter is fundraising using the trail. There are so many ethical breeches that you're not looks at swiss cheese of a case but a string attached to a prayer but dipped in iron clad corruption. This is truly the end of the political and justice system for me if Trump is convicted on this. I'm just out. I'll think of every legal (at least it's legal for now) way to avoid paying into this farce of a system.
aggiehawg
AG
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Merchan had not been promised a federal court appointment by Biden. The former number three in the DOJ is on the Bragg team.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Seems like he's made a good career out of judicial appointments.

We might be about to see an appointed judge remove 70+ million peoples' right to vote for their preferred candidate.
Ellis Wyatt
HTownAg98 said:

Reality Check said:

What does it say about the efforts of the judge to hide the truth when everyone who cares about this case heard every word Costello was able to say under oath last week before the U.S. House committee but gets cut off every time he is asked or attempts to answer a question?
Oh? Like CSPAN pictures?
aezmvp
Can you imagine him getting a judgeship after Biden got back into the White House? I think that would be good reason for actual violence.
Stat Monitor Repairman
168-days until the election.

Just how far down on the appeals court docket will this case go?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Prosecutor Matthew Colangelo is now up for the prosecution and arguing that several documents corroborate Michael Cohen's testimony, namely the records brought in through Jeffrey McConney "memorialize" the reimbursement plan.
Colangelo says "at minimum a reasonable juror could conclude the invoices, the ledger entries, the signed checks with check stubs all contain false information."
The prosecutor now says that there is also an "overwhelming record of concealment" that supports an intent to defraud on Trump's part.
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan says he will reserve his decision on the defense's arguments for a dismissal of the charges.
"Thank you both," he tells the attorneys.
"As I said I'm going to reserve my decision. I'll see you tomorrow at 9:30," Merchan says as he leaves the bench.
Tramp96
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Prosecutor Matthew Colangelo is now up for the prosecution and arguing that several documents corroborate Michael Cohen's testimony, namely the records brought in through Jeffrey McConney "memorialize" the reimbursement plan.
Colangelo says "at minimum a reasonable juror could conclude the invoices, the ledger entries, the signed checks with check stubs all contain false information."
The prosecutor now says that there is also an "overwhelming record of concealment" that supports an intent to defraud on Trump's part.
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan says he will reserve his decision on the defense's arguments for a dismissal of the charges.
"Thank you both," he tells the attorneys.
"As I said I'm going to reserve my decision. I'll see you tomorrow at 9:30," Merchan says as he leaves the bench.

9:30??

Man, I need judges' hours.
agAngeldad
Love to see Colangelo go completely rogue on Merchan.
Tramp96
aezmvp said:

Can you imagine him getting a judgeship after Biden got back into the White House? I think that would be good reason for actual violence.
This is reason #423878 why it is imperative the Republicans win back the Senate. Absolutely imperative. If Biden/Jarrett/Obama get four more years of picking federal judges unrestrained, this Republic cannot recover.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Not necessarily. This isn't his only case. I'd wager his real hours are likely between 7:30 AM and 6:30, maybe 7 PM everyday.

And he is supposed to be working on the his version of the jury instructions. So he's not sitting back in his office with his feet on his desk drinking a single malt and popping bon bons into his mouth.
Stat Monitor Repairman
As hawg pointed out earlier, the bailiffs typically got their finger on the pulse of the jury and knows the sentiment of the jury which they promptly relay to the judge.

So it's fair to say if you the defense, to see a judge acting with this much confidence and animosity it ain't a good sign.

That along with the time pressure now being put on the defense tells us more than anything it's a done deal, imho.
Tramp96
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Not necessarily. This isn't his only case. I'd wager his real hours are likely between 7:30 AM and 6:30, maybe 7 PM everyday.

And he is supposed to be working on the his version of the jury instructions. So he's not sitting back in his office with his feet on his desk drinking a ingle malt and popping bon bons into his mouth.
Granted...I was saying it in jest. I know they have a lot on their docket (excuse the pun).

However, with this particular judge, I wouldn't be shocked if he was sitting back in his office with his feet on the desk drinking a single malt (actually, he's probably drinking Canadian Club) and popping bon bons into his mouth. It would explain a lot.
Tramp96
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

As hawg pointed out earlier, the bailiffs typically got their finger on the pulse of the jury and knows the sentiment of the jury which they promptly relay to the judge.

So it's fair to say if you the defense, to see a judge acting with this much confidence and animosity it ain't a good sign.

That along with the time pressure now being put on the defense tells us more than anything it's a done deal, imho.

But if the judge felt like the case was not being viewed favorably by the jury, wouldn't that explain his actions today and him telling them to "keep an open mind"? Doesn't seem like he would do something that blatant if the indications were the jury was looking favorably towards a conviction, especially with how over-the-top he was in trying to suppress the defense's witnesses.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
So why did the prosecution not cure the whole Cohen stealing from the Trump corporation while they were pointing out his upcoming lies in the first round of questioning? Surely they had it put together. Just laziness? Stupidity?

Any theories?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggiehawg
AG

Don't really disagree with that, yet Merchan took the motion for dismiss or directed verdict under advisment instead of just denying it outright immediately. That was curious to me. If Merchan belives it is all over with the jury for a conviction, why hold out on making that decision?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Tramp96 said:

But if the judge felt like the case was not being viewed favorably by the jury, wouldn't that explain his actions today and him telling them to "keep an open mind"? Doesn't seem like he would do something that blatant if the indications were the jury was looking favorably towards a conviction, especially with how over-the-top he was in trying to suppress the defense's witnesses.
Make sense and could equally be true.
aggiehawg
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

So why did the prosecution not cure the whole Cohen stealing from the Trump corporation while they were pointing out his upcoming lies in the first round of questioning? Surely they had it put together. Just laziness? Stupidity?

Any theories?
I don't think they knew about the Red Finch deal since Cohen believed he had covered his tracks using cash.
Hungry Ojos
aggiehawg said:

Don't really disagree with that, yet Merchan took the motion for dismiss or directed verdict under advisment instead of just denying it outright immediately. That was curious to me. If Merchan belives it is all over with the jury for a conviction, why hold out on making that decision?
I didn't expect that either, but I also know that there is literally zero chance he dismisses the charges. I mean, absolutely zero. I think he did that to try to give some kind of hint of impartiality after everything he did today to assist the prosecution.

Even if you are the most rabid of brain dead liberals, how could ANYONE watch this trial and conclude that this judge was a neutral? Shouldn't his conduct scare the left too, considering the right could just as easily behave this way if they ever assume power?
SwigAg11
AG
It's also pretty hard to cure a witness that just outright says that he stole from his boss.
Rockdoc
AG
I hope the appeals courts and Supreme Court are paying attention to this, and yeah I know that's not supposed to happen.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Even if you are the most rabid of brain dead liberals, how could ANYONE watch this trial and conclude that this judge was a neutral? Shouldn't his conduct scare the left too, considering the right could just as easily behave this way if they ever assume power?
You answered your own question. They are brain dead.
aggiehawg
AG
Rockdoc said:

I hope the appeals courts and Supreme Court are paying attention to this, and yeah I know that's not supposed to happen.
I would hope the supervising judge over Merchan is paying attention to this and uhmm...has a word with him to knock it off. he's making a mockery of the Manhattan courts.
Stat Monitor Repairman
aggiehawg said:

Seems like judges let it ride on all these motions when the state rests as a matter of course because they've come this far and want any appeal to be based off the jury's findings of fact rather than redo the case even if there is a legal defect.

So we'll see, but either way it seems like he operating on the basis that the outcome is already known to him.
Tramp96
aggiehawg said:

Rockdoc said:

I would hope the supervising judge over Merchan is paying attention to this and uhmm...has a word with him to knock it off. he's making a mockery of the Manhattan courts.
What if the supervising judge has the same mindset as Merchan?

I mean, as I learned today, Merchan pulled this crap with the grand jury and nothing happened.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What's wild is the Chief Administrative Judge of the State of New York is the one that appointed Merchan.

So is it accurate that the person that appointed him is the one responsible for judicial oversight?

Trump up **** creek on this deal six ways from Sunday.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

What if the supervising judge has the same mindset as Merchan?

I mean, Merchan pulled this crap with the grand jury and nothing happened.
Way different rules with the conduct in grand jury proceedings. They are designed to be one sided with no due process afforded to the target defendant(s). So I don't have that much of an issue.

But Costello apparently does. And he won't be completely silenced again. I'd wager he went back to his office, opened his personal safe and took out his expected bail money in cash and left it with one of his law partners to use to bail him out if Merchan jails him tomorrow for contempt.

I have said before that sometimes attorneys need to take a bullet for their clients vis a vis a judge's mis or malfeasance. Costello is more a true believer in everyone getting due process, even Trump.

Trump is not above the law but neither is he beneath it when it comes to his due process rights. The same due process rights that Merchan is actively trampling on as if they were ticket stubs and popcorn on the stadium floor after a sporting event. Costello is an old school lawyer from back when we still had professionals within the profession.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 191

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.