*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

532,771 Views | 6652 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Foreverconservative
Foreverconservative
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump's lawyer Blanche: Is this the only time you saw President Trump overpay?
Cohen: Yes.
Blanche: I have no further questions.
Justice Merchan to Cohen: You may step down.
Prosecutor Steinglass: The people rest.
Justice Merchan: Counsel, please approach
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Trump attorney Todd Blanche is returning to the photo of Donald Trump and his former bodyguard Keith Schiller on October 24, 2016, that prosecutors entered into evidence.
Quote:

"Your testimony is still… just so I understand… in that 90 seconds you spoke with Mr. Schiller about the problem you were having with the 14-year-old, got him to agree to take care of it, told him you would send him the number, which you did, but also had time for Mr. Schiller to pass the phone to Mr. Trump and update him on everything going on," Blanche asked, echoing his questions from cross-examination on Thursday.
"Yes, sir," Cohen said
aggiehawg
AG
It is 3:15 Eastern. Dismiss the jury and get on with the defense motions.
Foreverconservative
Anyone wanting to read all this in a thread

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Casual Cynic
So it just comes down to whether the jury can believe Cohen talked about both subjects in 96 seconds?
aggiehawg
AG
Damnit Merchan! Forcing them to start their case immediately because he just denied the motion for a directed verdict out of hand.

Quote:

The defense's first witness is Daniel Sitko, a paralegal in Todd Blanche's law firm.

Blanche is questioning him.
Hungry Ojos
aggiehawg said:

Damnit Merchan! Forcing them to start their case immediately because he just denied the motion for a directed verdict out of hand.

Quote:

The defense's first witness is Daniel Sitko, a paralegal in Todd Blanche's law firm.

Just unbelievable.

I knew that Merchan (don't even want to call him "Judge" because he is acting more like co-counsel for the prosecution) wouldn't even consider it, but if ever there was a case ripe for a directed verdict...
aggiehawg
AG
Wait, wait wait! The SOL was tolled while Trump was in the WH on the misdemeanor charges now? And that's the theory bringing them back into the jury charge? They could have filed an indictment under seal to meet the SOL requirement, even wile Trump was in the WH.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

"You work for me?" Blanche asks. "I do," Sitko says.
Sitko has been in court every day and is generally the one who lugs the huge binders of materials to the defense table.
Quote:

Paralegal Daniel Sitko says he created a summary chart of phone calls.
He says he built the summary chart from one of the prosecution's exhibits, a call log for one of Michael Cohen's phones involving Robert Costello.
Some context: Costello once advised Cohen, but Cohen never formally retained him. The jury in this case has already seen emails from Costello offering to serve as a backchannel to Donald Trump after Cohen's home and office were searched by the FBI.
Quote:

Trump attorney Todd Blanche's direct questioning of his paralegal Daniel Sitko is over.
Becky Mangold is doing the cross-examination for the prosecution.
ETA:

Quote:

Trump attorney Todd Blanche's direct questioning of his paralegal Daniel Sitko is over.
Becky Mangold is doing the cross-examination for the prosecution.
She confirms with Sitko that there's no way to tell who was on the calls listed from the general line of Davidoff Hutcher & Citron.
Remember: Cohen says he's on a board with Jeffrey Citron who worked at the same firm as Costello at the time.
Stat Monitor Repairman
First four weeks of trial moved at a calculated and leisurely pace.

Now we'll see the judge push the defense like a pack of huskies at the Iditarod.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The defense has called Robert Costello to testify. They just wrapped up direct questioning of Todd Blanche's paralegal Daniel Sitko.
Yeah!!!!
aggiehawg
AG
Damnit!!!!

Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan is asking the jurors to step outside. Lawyers from both sides are at the bench before the defense's next witness, Robert Costello, is brought into court.

"I do wish that we had discussed this earlier," judge says.
Foreverconservative
Then a sidebar, from which Justice Merchant emerges to say] Juror, I apologize, I ask you to step outside.
Jurors leave.
Justice Merchan: I wish this has been raised earlier.
Prosecutor Hoffinger: If it is admitted, it should be restricted to two questions
4stringAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Malpractice by the judge. Nothing has been proven that Trump committed a crime. Reasonable doubt all over the place. The fact is the prosecution simply didn't prove their case at all.

This judge wants a conviction. Doesn't care about his rulings getting appealed. They need a conviction for the Dems to be able to say Trump is a felon leading up to the election.

They claim Trump tried to illegally influence the 2016 election. I'd say definitively they are using a warped version of the law to influence it in 2024.
AggieUSMC
AG
aggiehawg said:

Wait, wait wait! The SOL was tolled while Trump was in the WH on the misdemeanor charges now? And that's the theory bringing them back into the jury charge? They could have filed an indictment under seal to meet the SOL requirement, even wile Trump was in the WH.
It's worse than that. NY law allows the tolling of the SOL on misdemeanors but not more than 5 years. The alleged crime took place in 2017 and he wasn't indicted until 2023. By my calculations. that's 6 years.
100% Pure Aggie
Who's doing PBP? lol
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

It's worse than that. NY law allows the tolling of the SOL on misdemeanors but not more than 5 years. The alleged crime took place in 2017 and he wasn't indicted until 2023. By my calculations. that's 6 years.
Plus one year for covid. Yep, you read that correctly.
Foreverconservative
Trump's lawyer Bove: We are offering this witness to rebut their allegation of a pressure campaign by President Trump. We provided notice days ago. I intend to elicit many facts about how their relationship existed.
Justice Merchan: I don't think so
Bove: Judge.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Prosecutors are seeking to restrict the questioning of Robert Costello, a lawyer who once advised Michael Cohen.
Prosecutor Susan Hoffinger says:
"They should be restricted to two questions frankly that Cohen testified he didn't recall. He didn't recall Costello telling him that he should cooperate against Trump. He didn't recall the words saying that he said to Mr. Costello that he had nothing on President Trump."
Hoffinger adds that Cohen testified he didn't tell Costello the truth because he thought it would get back to Rudy Giuliani and Donald Trump.
SwigAg11
AG
I knew the judge would restrict Costello's testimony like this.
Hungry Ojos
Foreverconservative said:

Trump's lawyer Bove: We are offering this witness to rebut their allegation of a pressure campaign by President Trump. We provided notice days ago. I intend to elicit many facts about how their relationship existed.
Justice Merchan: I don't think so
Bove: Judge.
What
The
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Trump attorney Emil Bove says that Robert Costello is being called to rebut the prosecution's argument about a "supposed pressure campaign from President Trump."
Bove also says Trump's legal team let the prosecutors know they were likely to put Costello on the stand "days ago."
From that initial meeting, Bove said Costello's recollection is different from Michael Cohen's.
"Costello recalls Cohen saying President Trump did not know about the payment to Stephanie Clifford (Stormy Daniels). That's extremely probative of the core issues in this case," Bove said.
Judge Juan Merchan asks Bove "you don't think the whole pressure campaign theory is collateral?"
Bove says not at all.
"The whole purpose of this was to make president trump sound threatening," Bove says. Merchan says he disagrees that was the purpose.
"I disagree that Mr. Costello can testify about Cohen's state of mind. I'll consider some of your other arguments but I'll disagree to that," judge says.
Have I mentioned how much I dislike this judge's biases statements and rulings?
Hungry Ojos
It's not his "state of mind" it's his actual ****ing words!
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan has left the bench.
He says he is going to take five minutes.
He told the parties to stay in the courtroom.
Donald Trump is leaning to whisper with his attorneys, Todd Blanche and Emil Bove, at the defense table
Foreverconservative
So Merchan lets Stormy ramble all over the place on completely irrelevant and prejudicial nonsense and Costello is restricted to two questions

This is such a farce
pacecar02
has to go watch an interview to determine which questions he'll allow
no sig
Hungry Ojos
And was also willing to recess the trial for a day to allow the prosecution the courtesy of flying in another witness that they didn't handle properly to begin with.

What a ****ing joke.
aggiehawg
AG
pacecar02 said:

The one with Hemmer and Perino was 20 minutes plus.
nortex97
AG
It's an obvious fact issue whether Trump was 'threatening.' What was in Cohen's mind is almost completely irrelevant.
pacecar02
whats 5 min when he is the one keeping time
no sig
Foreverconservative
Justice Merchan: I'm going to step down for 5 minutes. Do not leave the courtroom.
[Trump is talking to Bove, then to Blanche, who is holding up his own head with his right index finger and appears to laugh or at least smile.]
Stat Monitor Repairman
Next we'll see the judge try and get this case in the hands of the jury before memorial day weekend.

The old pre-holiday weekend jimmy-job. A real classic.
aggiehawg
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

And was also willing to recess the trial for a day to allow the prosecution the courtesy of flying in another witness that they didn't handle properly to begin with.

What a ****ing joke.
Nothing funny about this anymore.

Normally when a lawyer forgets to get something in with a foundational witness it is too bad so sad. Deal with it.

Merchan's career as a judge should be over after this. The state board on Judicial Conduct will have to open an investigation.
richardag
pacecar02 said:

During the interview with Mark Levin, Costello mentions emails proving his points. Maybe have Costello read the emails?
Pardon my ignorance since IANAL
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
AggieUSMC
AG
aggiehawg said:

Hungry Ojos said:

What a ****ing joke.
Nothing funny about this anymore.

Normally when a lawyer forgets to get something in with a foundational witness it is too bad so sad. Deal with it.

Merchan's career as a judge should be over after this. The state board on Judicial Conduct will have to open an investigation.
If this happened in another case, with another defendant, maybe. But this is Trump and this is NY we're talking about.
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 191

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.