*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

249,108 Views | 3628 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Foreverconservative
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Hoffinger shows calendar entries for Trump from January 16 to January 19, 2017, from the Trump Organization appointment calendar, including an entry for a "teleprompter practice session" on the 25th floor of Trump Tower on January 16, 2017.
Another entry shows Trump had an appointment with Ainsley Earhardt from Fox and Friends on January 17, 2017.
On the same day, he also had an appointment for a photo shoot for Mike Allen for the Washington Post.
Graff confirms that the entries show Trump was working at Trump Tower at that time.
According to the calendar, Trump was expected to be wheels up from LGA to DCA on Jan 19, 2017, the day before the inauguration.
Quote:

The prosecutor has wrapped her direct examination of Graff.
Trump attorney Susan Necheles is now beginning her cross examination.
Quote:

Trump is smiling and watching Graff speak as his attorneys begin to ask questions of his former longtime assistant.
"I never had the same day twice in all that time," Graff says, as she describes her time at the Trump organization. "It was a very stimulating, exciting, fascinating place to be."
Asked if Trump respected her intelligence, Graff says she wouldn't have worked there for 34 years if he didn't. Trump laughed at the comment.
Asked if Trump was a good boss, Graff says, "I think that he was fair, and, what's the word I'm looking for, respectful boss to me."
"Sometimes he would peek his head in and say, 'Go home to your family,' which I thought was very thoughtful of him," Graff testifies.
Graff says Trump invited her to the inauguration and she got to sit up close. She says it was a "unique" experience to sit on the platform with her husband.
She testified that "The Apprentice" elevated Trump to "rock star status."

7 min ago
Trump attorney Susan Necheles is now asking questions

The prosecutor has wrapped her direct examination of Graff.
Trump attorney Susan Necheles is now beginning her cross examination.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

After a series of questions about Trump's interest in the casting of "Celebrity Apprentice," prosecutors object. Lawyers are at the bench.
All of this starting and stopping with sidebars has got be wearing thin for the jury.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

After a series of questions about Trump's interest in the casting of "Celebrity Apprentice," prosecutors object. Lawyers are at the bench.
Necheles next brought up Graff's mention of seeing Stormy Daniels at Trump Tower.
Quote:

"I vaguely recall hearing him say that she was one of the people that may be an interesting contestant on the show," Graff testified.
Trump's attorney went into a line of questioning about how Trump was very involved in finding contestants for the "Celebrity Apprentice," confirming with Graff that Trump looked for "colorful" or "interesting" candidates to cast.
"He would vocalize" sometimes people Trump was interested in having as "Apprentice" contestants to members of his staff, she said.
Quote:

Graff says she was under the impression a Trump Tower visit from adult film star Stormy Daniels had to do with Trump's interest in her as a potential cast member for "The Apprentice."
"You understood she was there to discuss being cast for 'The Apprentice'?" Necheles asked.
"I assumed that," Graff says.
Quote:

Graff is now off the witness stand. Lawyers are having a sidebar before the next witness.
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan is excusing the jury for an afternoon recess.

The break will last 15 minutes.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In its cross-examination of Donald Trump's long-time assistant, the defense is looking for another opportunity to humanize the former president, according to CNN anchor and chief legal analyst Laura Coates.
Rhona Graff testified that she worked for Trump for 34 years at the Trump Organization, sitting outside his office on the 26th floor of Trump Tower.
"This is not a time to, as a cross-examiner, to attack her as if she is out to get Donald Trump. You're going to see a softer touch for this particular witness," Coates said.
That's compared to the cross-examination of the last witness, former tabloid publisher David Pecker, who testified about the National Enquirer's efforts to suppress negative stories that could have harmed Trump's 2016 campaign.
Still, the defense ended the questioning of Pecker with a question also aimed at humanizing the former president. Defense attorney Emil Bove asked Pecker if he believed Trump cares about his family. He replied, "Of course I do."
Graff is another opportunity for the defense to continue to tell that story about Trump to the jury, Coates said.
Quote:

"You hear a lot about the myth of Donald Trump and of course, all the bravado, what you think might happen in Trump Tower. Her role is to demystify all of that and portray him as somebody who is approachable," Coates said.

4stringAg
AG
I still don't understand how an agreement between Pecker and Trump to suppress negative stories and amplify positive ones even if it was to "influence the election " is in any way illegal or an illegal conspiracy. Yet this seems to be the basis for Bragg elevating the hush money payments to felony status.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Gary Farro is the next witness

Gary Farro is the prosecution's next witness. He worked at First Republic bank for 15 years.
Who? IDK who this is.

ETA: Cohen's banker who wired the money to Stormy. Should be a quick witness.
aggiehawg
AG
4stringAg said:

I still don't understand how an agreement between Pecker and Trump to suppress negative stories and amplify positive ones even if it was to "influence the election " is in any way illegal or an illegal conspiracy. Yet this seems to be the basis for Bragg elevating the hush money payments to felony status.
Cendorship for me but none for thee?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Prosecutor Rebecca Mangold is questioning Gary Farro, a finance executive who is on the stand.
Farro is currently going over banking regulations under the Bank Secrecy Act.
He says there are certain types of transactions that require more review by the bank, including transactions involving wires. Farro also says that transactions involving political candidates also require more review.
Unless he was a Trump campaign banker, who cares? Lawyers wire money quite often within their line of practice.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Prosecutors have called a third witness to the stand: Gary Farro, a former senior managing director at First Republic Bank.
Farro worked at First Republic Bank when Michael Cohen, Trump's former personal attorney, used his own home equity line from the bank to pay the $130,000 payment to Stormy Daniels.
Cohen's then lawyer Michael Avenatti provided an email to CNN in 2018 that showed a First Republic Bank employee confirming the deposit to Cohen, who used his personal and trumporg.com email accounts.
The bank employee who confirmed the deposit was an assistant to Farro, according to NBC.
Quote:

Farro, after testifying about different types of banks and banking transactions, brings up his connection to this case.
Quote:

"Michael Cohen was assigned to me after a colleague left in 2015," Farro testified. He was given Cohen based on his "ability to handle individuals that may be a little challenging."
"Frankly, I didn't find him that difficult," Farro says of Cohen.
Farro says he worked with Cohen from 2015 through 2018 or 2019.
Quote:

Farro says there was a branch nearby Michael Cohen's office in Trump Tower so he'd frequently go there in person.

Farro says he was "very excited to be working for him."
Quote:

Farro is being asked about recording keeping at First Republic. Prosecutors will introduce evidence through him.
He says Cohen held personal accounts and entities there including some lending programs. Cohen opened bank accounts while working with Farro, he says.
"I didn't open any accounts for the Trump Organization."
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Be that as it may, Bragg's weak case has taken some real hits on Friday, as the testimony of David Pecker, the former publisher of the National Enquirer, has been devastating for the prosecution. In fact, according to George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, Bragg's case is now "collapsing on its own weight."

"They have a witness who was disassembling in front of them," Turley told Fox News on Friday. "You know, the prosecution never revealed to the jury in the direct that Pecker actually had killed stories for other celebrities that he had been working on stories two decades before the election with Trump that he was suppressing."

This is particularly helpful to Trump's case because it means that the prosecution can't directly link Trump's efforts to quash the Stormy Daniels story to the election.

"And now it's only getting worse," Turley continued. "Yesterday was really bad in terms of the cross-examination for the prosecution. Today is much worse."
Quote:

Pecker is saying that Trump didn't want to purchase the story. Yesterday he said that when he asked Trump while reimbursing Cohen he said he didn't know anything about that. I mean, we've always already been complaining about the lack of any recognizable crime here, but there's also a dwindling connection to Donald Trump himself. That is what we're really seeing here is a lot of discussions with Michael Cohen, who's going to give us a really memorable moment when he gets on the stand. He's actually going to look at that jury and say, basically, "Put my former client in jail for following my legal advice."
Quote:

Now unless he was trying to get Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tiger Woods elected presidentand one of them couldn't bethen the prosecution theory is really becoming something that's easy to mock. I mean ... I just don't understand is how the judge could let this farce unfold in a courtroom, because at the end of the day, he's got to give instructions to this jury. How is he going to instruct them because there is no crime? Is he gonna say that this was a federal election crime? Because it wasn't. And the federal government declined to charge. Trump wasn't even asked to pay a civil fine. So how is he going to give that instruction but if it's not a crime, what are we doing here?
LINK
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Trump's attorneys, Emil Bove and Todd Blanche, are flipping through big binders full of documents as Mangold begins introducing documents into evidence with Farro.

Trump is sitting between them, staring straight ahead with his eyes closed.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Farro is being asked about email servers at First Republic and what information they recorded.
The emails include bank transactions and client communications, Farro testified.
Now the first document from a binder full of them is being shown to the jury.
Who cares? Where are they going with this witness?
fredfredunderscorefred
The fact cohen used a mortgage makes it seem more believable that it was a shakedown by cohen. Which he knows he could recoup by invoicing Trump.

If trump was paying it and trying to hide that it was payment to/for to her, he could still pay "legal fees/expenses" without the need for the mortgage by cohen.

Of course I think trump has stated both that he didn't know about it and that he did know about it and paid it (iirc), so not sure.

Still not a crime and this is a sham to all reasonable people.
aggiehawg
AG
fredfredunderscorefred said:

The fact cohen used a mortgage makes it seem more believable that it was a shakedown by cohen. Which he knows he could recoup by invoicing Trump.

If trump was paying it and trying to hide that it was payment to/for to her, he could still pay "legal fees/expenses" without the need for the mortgage by cohen.

Of course I think trump has stated both that he didn't know about it and that he did know about it and paid it (iirc), so not sure.

Agree. But using an LLC for a NDA is not very surprising as they are often used. Nothing nefarious there.

Quote:

The first document is being shown to the jury is an email from Farro's assistant informing him that Michael Cohen called on October 11, 2016.
Farro received another email two days later.
Quote:

"Please return Michael Cohen's call when you are available today regarding an important matter," the email said.
The banker called Cohen who told him he wanted to open a new LLC account. Cohen said the account was for "capital real estate," Farro says.
So Cohen lied. What does that have to do with Trump?
fredfredunderscorefred
aggiehawg said:

Agree. But using an LLC for a NDA is not very surprising as they are often used. Nothing nefarious there.

Quote:

The first document is being shown to the jury is an email from Farro's assistant informing him that Michael Cohen called on October 11, 2016.
Farro received another email two days later.
Quote:

"Please return Michael Cohen's call when you are available today regarding an important matter," the email said.
The banker called Cohen who told him he wanted to open a new LLC account. Cohen said the account was for "capital real estate," Farro says.
So Cohen lied. What does that have to do with Trump?

Agree nothing nefarious. This is all such a charade and saddening and maddening at the same time what the left has done to the justice system. Terrible that people try to justify it much less cheer it on.
aggiehawg
AG
Hot take by CNN. LOL.

Quote:

The testimony of Gary Farro, Michael Cohen's former banker, wasn't expected or anticipated, but it gets to what the trial is about, CNN anchor Kaitlan Collins says.
Quote:

"This is why it matters because (Farro) is trying to arrange the payment to Stormy Daniels (from Michael Cohen), which is what all of this is about ... Maybe it's not as salacious but this is actually what the trial is about," Collins said.

Reality Check
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Steinglass has gone back to the Wall Street Journal article published on November 4, 2016.
The purpose was to have Pecker explain that he likely learned the term "catch and kill" in the press.
Yesterday during cross-examination, Pecker said he learned of it from federal prosecutors.
Trump's eyes are closed and he's leaning back in his chair as Steinglass continues his redirect.

Seriously, wtf is going on in the courtroom?

Why does whether or not a 70-something=year-old man doesn't remember reading something eight years ago have any bearing on whether Donald Trump signed an internal financial record of something in 2017 to allegedly influence the election the year before?

I'd be a lot more respectful of Democrats if they simply admitted they have no legitimate criminal case here but instead want to spend eight weeks with Trump chained to a desk, keeping him off the campaign trail while airing a quarter-century of dirty laundry.
How do I get a Longhorn tag?
Reality Check
aggiehawg said:

Hot take by CNN. LOL.

Quote:

The testimony of Gary Farro, Michael Cohen's former banker, wasn't expected or anticipated, but it gets to what the trial is about, CNN anchor Kaitlan Collins says.
Quote:

"This is why it matters because (Farro) is trying to arrange the payment to Stormy Daniels (from Michael Cohen), which is what all of this is about ... Maybe it's not as salacious but this is actually what the trial is about," Collins said.

LOL... where is the name "Donald Trump" in that synopsis?
How do I get a Longhorn tag?
aggiehawg
AG
Reality Check said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Steinglass has gone back to the Wall Street Journal article published on November 4, 2016.
The purpose was to have Pecker explain that he likely learned the term "catch and kill" in the press.
Yesterday during cross-examination, Pecker said he learned of it from federal prosecutors.
Trump's eyes are closed and he's leaning back in his chair as Steinglass continues his redirect.

Why does whether or not a 70-something=year-old man doesn't remember reading something eight years ago have any bearing on whether Donald Trump signed an internal financial record of something in 2017 to allegedly influence the election the year before?

I'd be a lot more respectful of Democrats if they simply admitted they have no legitimate criminal case here but instead want to spend eight weeks with Trump chained to a desk, keeping him off the campaign trail while airing a quarter-century of dirty laundry.
I don't understand how the prosecution arrived at the 8 weeks. The only witness list I have seen a reference to had twenty or so witnesses for the state. And at this rate I don't think the defense would need and extensive defense case in chief.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Farro and the attorneys are getting into the finer details of his bank's arrangement with Cohen, testifying that Trump's former personal attorney was the only authorized signatory on the account and repeating the account was meant for real estate purposes.
Quote:

Cohen checked "No" on a form that asked if the entity, Resolution Consultants LLC, which was created by him as a Delaware entity, is "associated with political fundraising/Political Action Committee (PAC)."

Farro testified several times that his understanding was that Cohen was opening the account for "real estate."

Per the paperwork, Cohen described the entity's function to be "management consulting (including HR & marketing)."

Cohen was the only authorized signatory for the account.

Farro says that the bank "did all of our work to establish" Cohen's account, but it was never funded. "
"A deposit was never made in the account so the account never went live," Farro says, confirming the account was not opened.
Wait, what?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Farro says the bank "did all of our work to establish" Cohen's original account, but it was never funded.
"A deposit was never made in the account, so the account never went live," Farro says.
Thirteen days later, on October 26, 2016, Farro received another email from his assistant to return Michael Cohen's call, according to the court exhibit.
"He stated he was changing course and no longer wanted to open Resolution Consultants, and wanted to open a new account," Farro says.
Quote:

"Every time Michael Cohen spoke to me he gave a sense of urgency and this was one of those times."
The new LLC was Essential Consultants LLC, Farro says.
This is the LLC that Cohen used to pay Stormy Daniels the $130,000 payment.
On the form the bank prepared for Cohen to open the account, it stated under "business narrative" that Cohen was opening the account for a real estate consulting company to collect fees for consulting work on real estate deals.
Cohen again checked "No" on a form that asked if the entity is "associated with political fundraising/Political Action Committee (PAC)."
fredfredunderscorefred
Reality Check said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Dems never admit/acknowledge their game plan.

"We don't want open borders". But will fight every measure to secure the border and call you racist and xenophobic

"We want secure elections." But will fight every measure to secure elections and call you racist.

"We don't want your guns." But wil pass (un)reasonable gun control which effectively takes way all guns (see Chicago and DC type laws allowing a locked up gun only - one USSC vote away from getting their dream btw).

I've always said the same thing - they'd have more respect if they just said their true Desire - open borders and no guns or whatever. They'd certainly seem less ridiculous trying to justify their positions.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Mangold says she's at a natural stopping point and Judge Merchan says, we will "call it a week."
He is now giving the jury instructions.
Trump hit his attorney Todd Blanche on the arm and leaned over to tell him something.
jrdaustin
AG
So far, this trial resembles something I would expect to see from a high school Youth & Government mock trial where you just let the kids wing it and try to learn as they go...

How half the country supports putting a former POTUS through this charade just to tie up his time and keep him from the campaign trail really says a lot for the erosion of civics knowledge in the US. As well as the abandonment of fundamental principles by those on the left.

They're truly willing to burn it all down just to "get him".

ETA: I kind of expected this from Bragg, because he, like Fani Willis, ran on the single objective of "getting Trump". It was never about upholding the law. That's window dressing. It's always been about bringing him down, like he's Capone.

What's surprising to me is how many New York judges are complicit in the scheme. First Edgeron, now Merchan. Both have an elevated responsiblty to uphold the law and apply it equally, imo; but, that seems to be the furthest thing from their mind. They're willing to twist whatever they need to twist in order to pin Trump down. It's corruption, plain and simple.
TexAg1987
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Mangold says she's at a natural stopping point and Judge Merchan says, we will "call it a week."
Trump hit his attorney Todd Blanche on the arm and leaned over to tell him something.

TRUMP PUNCHES HIS ATTORNEY IN THE COURTROOM !
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Donald Trump's hush money criminal trial will see "quite a few somewhat dull witnesses," said former federal prosecutor Ankush Khardori.

The case is less about the salacious details of Trump's alleged affair with Stormy Daniels that he denies and more about the allegations that he covered it up to influence the 2016 presidential election, he points.
Quote:

"The crime actually has to do with all of this somewhat banal record-keeping stuff. This is a case where I think we're going to actually see quite a few somewhat dull witnesses producing things like documents, ledgers, invoices, things that just have to come into evidence to complete this case," he told CNN.
Meanwhile, prosecution and defense also have to be mindful of the approaching weekend.
As a prosecutor, "you like the idea of leaving [the jurors] with something solid, unchallenged, good at the end of the week," said Trump's former attorney Jim Trusty.
"They're basically introducing some paperwork for the jury to look at at 4:30 before they go home, and go, oh there were checks, or there were meetings, or there were contacts."

It's also smart for the defense "to keep it dull, to basically not spend any time cross-examining people where you have no real reason to gain anything because they're not establishing criminality or they're not establishing controversial points," he added.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Merchan reminds jurors court is dark on Monday and we are back 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
Quote:

Merchan says, "Have a good weekend, take care."

Why no court on Monday? Is he also going to maintain the Wednesday day off next week? Guess now we know how Merchan plans to stretch this trial out for weeks. Just not have court sessions four days a week or more.
jrdaustin
AG
aggiehawg said:

It's also smart for the defense "to keep it dull, to basically not spend any time cross-examining people where you have no real reason to gain anything because they're not establishing criminality or they're not establishing controversial points," he added.
I'm not sure I agree. I think every one of these witnesses should have a short cross of less than a minute. In Farro's case, three questions:

1. To you knowledge, was anything you did in assisting or working with Mr. Cohen illegal or irregular?

2. Did Mr. Cohen ask you to do anything illegal or irregular?

3. Did Mr. Cohen ever say that Mr. Trump had anything to do with any of these accounts or LLCs?

No more questions.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
TexAg1987 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

TRUMP PUNCHES HIS ATTORNEY IN THE COURTROOM !
Next he is going to grab the steering wheel.!!!

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I have to believe there are about 900 other trials of much more important NY issues that could be going on right now instead of this kangaroo court. What a **** hole.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggiehawg
AG
All of these witnesses testifying about what and when Cohen said something. Seriously doubt Cohen will be able to remember them all.

Seems to me they are setting Cohen up to be a disaster on the stand for the state.
TexAg1987
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Merchan reminds jurors court is dark on Monday and we are back 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
Quote:

Merchan says, "Have a good weekend, take care."

Why no court on Monday? Is he also going to maintain the Wednesday day off next week? Guess now we know how Merchan plans to stretch this trial out for weeks. Just not have court sessions four days a week or more.
At least it gives Trump some time off to campaign. Judge can't give days off and keep him in court.
100% Pure Aggie

Reality Check said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Dems never admit/acknowledge their game plan.

"We don't want open borders". But will fight every measure to secure the border and call you racist and xenophobic

"We want secure elections." But will fight every measure to secure elections and call you racist.

"We don't want your guns." But wil pass (un)reasonable gun control which effectively takes way all guns (see Chicago and DC type laws allowing a locked up gun only - one USSC vote away from getting their dream btw).

I've always said the same thing - they'd have more respect if they just said their true Desire - open borders and no guns or whatever. They'd certainly seem less ridiculous trying to justify their positions.

Couldn't have said it better!!!!!
chiphijason
AG
Is Cohen being sequestered from the info in the trial in jail? I haven't seen any discussion of that.
aggiehawg
AG
chiphijason said:

Is Cohen being sequestered from the info in the trial in jail? I haven't seen any discussion of that.
He should be. No one is live streaming from the courtroom but he could be following people on twitter or reading the CNN live blog or other live blogs.

But with a skillful cross that can be revealed, if he has been. In fact, I think the reason he recently said he would stop commenting about Trump and th trial is because he has been following and knew he could trip himself up by commenting about what was happening during trial.

Have I mentioned lately that Cohen is scum and was a lousy attorney? He's already lost his law license so abiding by that exclusionary rule doesn't carry much bite as to him..
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.