American car dealers can go fly a kite

13,402 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by fullback44
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I began the car shopping grind this week. Dealers are desperate. More than anybody I remember American car companies selling way above MSRP with bullcrap dealer additions to help justify. The biggest POS was Jeep dealers.

If you're in the market for a new car, you can get an overpriced Jeep discounted bigly now. Especially a 2023 Jeep Gladiator they were begging me to take it off their lot. Grand Cherokee MSRP has been marked down. They're realizing nobody pays BMW prices for a effing Jeep especially at 8% for new car loan plus 20% increase to insurance. Lincoln is another big one. I'll pick On foreign too. Toyota sells wells but not the Tundra.

F them. They took short term profits and burned people and any goodwill.
Hanrahan
AG
I got $35k off sticker on a new S8 with 2.9% rate for four years. Glad I waited out the two years of car insanity. Still waiting out for Yukon pricing to come down….
AndAg
AG
We tried looking at an suv a couple years ago. Went into a dealer and they wouldn't let us test drive one unless we committed to paying 10k over MSRP…no thanks.
Stat Monitor Repairman
They must not be selling these Jeeps. Went past a field in the middle of nowhere with these brand new Jeep gladiators. Window stickers on and surrounded by temp chain link fence.
MediAg13
AG
I couldn't find a tundra to save my life when I was in the market a couple years ago.
bobbranco
AG
Dan Scott said:

I began the car shopping grind this week. Dealers are desperate. More than anybody I remember American car companies selling way above MSRP with bullcrap dealer additions to help justify. The biggest POS was Jeep dealers.

If you're in the market for a new car, you can get an overpriced Jeep discounted bigly now. Especially a 2023 Jeep Gladiator they were begging me to take it off their lot. Grand Cherokee MSRP has been marked down. They're realizing nobody pays BMW prices for a effing Jeep especially at 8% for new car loan plus 20% increase to insurance. Lincoln is another big one. I'll pick On foreign too. Toyota sells wells but not the Tundra.

Never buy a Jeep. They have been overrated and overpriced since forever.

Ford Motor Co have lost their minds with their inflated pricing. They lost my business.

And Toyota dealers are scumbags in my experience.
FatZilla
AG
I paid 0 markup at GMC in 2022 at my local dealer. They were actually proud to state they are not marking any up and their inventory was flying off the lot. I got the last truck in stock with the additions I wanted. Got actual sticker on my new Truck and a 0% 4 year loan.
Not Coach Jimbo
Jeep also generally has terrible reliability compared to competitors
Fannie Luddite
AG
Stellantis (Jeep, Ram) have the worst market days supply numbers in the industry. Meaning they aren't selling and drowning in inventory. They also have the highest inflation over the last five years.

According to Car Edge, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer has a 323 day supply. Meanwhile, the Toyota Rav4 has a 31 day supply.
Irish 2.0
Just got a 2024 GMC AT4 3.0 Diesel for $7500 off MSRP and 1.9% for 72 months…maybe you're not shopping right on the loan.
fredfredunderscorefred
Nearly impossible to get a real car price over the phone also. They advertise the internet price, but that includes dealer fees etc which they refuse to tell you the amount unless you go in. Beyond frustrating.

Car salesmen may serve a purpose, but they rank around gold coin dealers here.

There's a lawsuit from about 30 years ago where a dealership essentially imprisoned a deaf adult using the "Automotive Profit Builder Controlled Track Selling System." I'm sure that system has changed names by now and is claimed to be nonexistent, but the tactics very likely still exist. It was described as intending "to excite the customer, confuse the customer, pressure the customer, and then take every last dime you can get regardless of the consequences to the customer."

"During the discussions in Maturelli's office, they talked about Bien trading in his truck. Maturelli got Bien's keys to have the truck appraised. After it was appraised, pursuant to the APB System, the keys were not returned to Bien, but instead were placed in Kielson's office. Thus, pursuant to Grubbs Nissan's APB System, Bien was now effectively trapped. They had his check which would only be returned as an ultimate last resort, and they also had his keys. They knew Bien was deaf and could not use the phone to call for help, and they knew he could not walk home because of the dangers presented by his disabilities, together with the darkness and bad weather. Grubbs had achieved its goal of obtaining a captive audience."
Logos Stick
I wish we could eliminate dealerships.

It's nothing but an unnecessary middle man.

I've never had a good experience with any of them and that includes service.
BTHOB-98
Got a 2015 Ford F250 (170,000 miles) and the wife drives a 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe (245,000 miles). Both are paid for and both work just fine.

I have a kid at Tech that drives a 1995 Chevrolet 1500 (110,000 miles). I have a kid at A&M that drives a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe (250,000) they work just fine too.

16 year old drives a 2005 Chevrolet 1500. Its doesn't runs so great but he's 16 so suck it up. Lol
atmtws
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Just got a 2024 GMC AT4 3.0 Diesel for $7500 off MSRP and 1.9% for 72 months…maybe you're not shopping right on the loan.
Thats because they're #1 target in car thefts.
Irish 2.0
True. The last one was stolen and recovered. Now the keys stay in a faraday pouch and box.
pfo
AG
Dan, if you want a Lincoln, Ed Williams at West Point Lincoln in Houston is the guy to see.

If you want a Lexus, Toyota or Subaru, our son in law owns those dealerships in Bossier City. He's not the cheapest but he's honest. He never sold a single car over sticker during the pandemic.

Lastly, a Jeep was the worst POS I ever owned. I would never buy another one.
WestTexAg12
AG
bobbranco said:

Dan Scott said:

Never buy a Jeep. They have been overrated and overpriced since forever.

Ford Motor Co have lost their minds with their inflated pricing. They lost my business.

And Toyota dealers are scumbags in my experience.

I tried telling my wife this but she insisted on buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Still have problems with it. Feels boxy, tight knee space. Hate it.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
I'd rather get a root canal than buy a new car or a go house shopping.
Sq 17
Logos Stick said:

I wish we could eliminate dealerships.

It's nothing but an unnecessary middle man.

I've never had a good experience with any of them and that includes service.

20 years ago I got a new suburban at Lawrence Marshall and that was the last time I enjoyed the dealership experience
BMCaginLTX
I won't consider capitalism a perfect system until I can buy the car I want in 15 minutes without being lied to by some chain smoking jerk-off.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
I drive a 2004 Ram 2500, my truck I use for work is a 2007 Ford ranger and my wife drives a 2014 Ford Fusion. They all run like a dream. I got 0% for 0 months financing because I saved money and paid cash. I also hate salesmen. I don't think I'll ever buy a new vehicle
cheeky
AG
Have a deposit on a Lexus GX 550 going on 6 months now and don't even know the "price." Any word on that?
samurai_science
cheeky said:

Have a deposit on a Lexus GX 550 going on 6 months now and don't even know the "price." Any word on that?
Why? You now have no leverage
pacecar02
Just bought an 01 7.3 excursion 4x4 with 93k on the clock. Going to replace a buncha rubber lines and redo some seals, orings and gaskets and drive the snot out of it!

edit: love the car edge youtube channel. I think Stellantis may head for bankruptcy, dunno how long they can sell 0 to very few cars and stay afloat

no sig
aggieforester05
AG
I think I'm done with new and even lightly used vehicles going forward. The prices have gotten way out of hand, they're just not worth what they're asking.

Additionally they're getting rid of the stuff I like, like V8 cars.

The complexity is also a problem. I think very few vehicles made today will still be running in 20-30 years thanks to electronics that will be obsolete and long out of production.

Buying older vehicles and then building them to be what you want is looking more attractive.
Stinky T
AG
My wife wanted to look at a Lexus NX hybrid. The website showed that the local dealer had 6 on the lot - so we went down there. The salesman walks up and tells me they don't have any on the lot and they probably won't for a while. The next 22 that arrive are already sold.

So I ask about the new GX550 and he tells me the next 46 that arrive are sold. I comment that it is hard to believe that many people buy a vehicle without even sitting in one first. He just shrugs at me with a smart ass grin on his face. Then I comment that if I owned that dealership I would lay off 99% of the sales people since the cars are selling themselves. His smart ass grin disappears.

Put me in the category that doesn't see any benefit of car dealers. It is a good thing they are protected by state laws or they already would have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Counterpoint
AG
Does anyone have a favorite Honda dealership within 100 miles of BCS? (Good prices, no add ones, no BS, etc)
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Counterpoint said:

Does anyone have a favorite Honda dealership within 100 miles of BCS? (Good prices, no add ones, no BS, etc)

Salesmen...no BS...does not compute
Counterpoint said:

Round Rock Honda was ok 4 years ago, Penske dealership. No idea if they are bad now after COVID, etc.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Buying cars is one of the weirdest American purchases behind health care. We buy very few things the way we buy cars.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
TRX
AG
atmtws said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Also not a V8.
FJB
Sharpshooter
AG
TRX said:

atmtws said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Also not a V8.
Bring back the muscle car, please.
Irish 2.0
Sharpshooter said:

TRX said:

atmtws said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Also not a V8.
Bring back the muscle car, please.

Better for hauling and I'm getting ~25mpg on the highway as long as I'm not hammering it. The 3.0 really is a great engine if you've never been in one.
Hawk2007
Stinky T said:

My wife wanted to look at a Lexus NX hybrid. The website showed that the local dealer had 6 on the lot - so we went down there. The salesman walks up and tells me they don't have any on the lot and they probably won't for a while. The next 22 that arrive are already sold.

So I ask about the new GX550 and he tells me the next 46 that arrive are sold. I comment that it is hard to believe that many people buy a vehicle without even sitting in one first. He just shrugs at me with a smart ass grin on his face. Then I comment that if I owned that dealership I would lay off 99% of the sales people since the cars are selling themselves. His smart ass grin disappears.

Put me in the category that doesn't see any benefit of car dealers. It is a good thing they are protected by state laws or they already would have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

What other car companies are you entertaining besides Lexus/Toyota? If the answer is none, you can look in the mirror as to who the problem is.

Toyota is killing it with the 6th generation 4Runner, the GX, the LX and Land Cruiser. The product does sell itself.

The NX and GX are very different vehicles so your story might also be a case of ThatHappened.
pacecar02
Which platform, suburban?
no sig
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.