American car dealers can go fly a kite

12,876 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by fullback44
BonfireNerd04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Charpie said:

I can't help but laugh at this thread. A bunch of dudes whining about how they get jerked around at dealerships. Welcome to what it's like to be a woman. God this thread gives me the giggles because some of y'all act tough but can't haggle with a little ole sales guy?

Just because a thing is stereotypically "a man's job" doesn't mean we have to like it.
Medaggie
Stonegateag85 said:

Buying a car is truly one of the worst experiences in America. It's never just the *********price on the sticker. There are always additions and other nonsense or you gotta haggle.
I have bought 5 new cars in my life. 2 Tesla which was a breeze. The other 3, I knew the car I wanted.

I emailed the internet person, told him exactly what I wanted. emailed 3-5 different dealerships in the area. Got the best drive out price. Emailed the other 4 and see if they could beat it. Picked the best price. Showed up, signed, got the car. I never want to go down the rabbit hole of wasting my time just showing up.

Sold all my used car through Carmax. They give a decent price and its quick no hassle.

My time is valuable, I don't need to spend countless weekends going to different dealerships and potentially wasting my time when they start to tack on all the add ons. Walking blindly into a dealership is just as bad as walking into a time share presentation.
strbrst777
Last June I ordered a 2024 luxury car at a large BCS dealer. Was in writing given value of my trade-in abd walkout price on delivery. Subject to market adjustment in used car values. In late August, the car came in. The dealer told me that my trade would be 19 percent below it was in June. (The used car market may have dropped 3 percent.) That was not a market adjustment. Further, in June, the sales people took a quick look at my car...very complimentary of low mileage (42,000) and condition. When the new car arrived, the appraiser went over the car assuring me that they would give me the most for my trade (lol). No change at all-none-other 1000 miles in those eight weeks. Sales mgr told me that's when they appraise. Tell me how this is honest. I'm convinced that the dealer wanted the new car for inventory. No trust!
Teslag
AG
I took a leap and bought a 2023 Chevy 2500 duramax LTZ from Carvana the other day. Had a 7 day return period so I figured I could just have it looked at by a mechanic in that time and return it if it sucked.

The alignment was bad and the tires were shot. The mechanic took pics and prepared an estimate and I sent to Carvana. They agreed to pay for the alignment and other things he found AND paid for a new set of BG Goodrich AT/KO's.

Carvana gave me more on my trade than anyone else, had the truck I wanted and stood behind it after purchase. No surprise fees at all. No surprises. Barely even looked at my trade. Was in and out in 20 minutes.
Charpie
AG
Teslag said:

I took a leap and bought a 2023 Chevy 2500 duramax LTZ from Carvana the other day. Had a 7 day return period so I figured I could just have it looked at by a mechanic in that time and return it if it sucked.

The alignment was bad and the tires were shot. The mechanic took pics and prepared an estimate and I sent to Carvana. They agreed to pay for the alignment and other things he found AND paid for a new set of BG Goodrich AT/KO's.

Carvana gave me more on my trade than anyone else, had the truck I wanted and stood behind it after purchase. No surprise fees at all. No surprises. Barely even looked at my trade. Was in and out in 20 minutes.

Used car market is completely different than the new car market. That's why. And Carvana are experts at this stuff. I'm not shocked to hear that they covered the expenses.
Teslag
AG
I was looking at dealers too. They tried the same things with late model used. Different prices when I'd show up compared to what they advertised or said on the phone. Or would tack on fees. My favorite was McKinney Buick GMC adding a $3k "reconditioning fee" to the price online. I asked what the fee was for and he said "that's what we charge for taking the vehicle and checking it for leaks, adding fluids, fixing any outstanding items, and cleaning it so it's ready for sale and it's the same price for every vehicle". Absolutely laughable.
Stonegateag85
Just got my wife a Tesla, easiest car purchase ever. We still have two other ICE cars, one is my work car and the other is the family SUV. We got my work car during Covid when they couldn't give cars away, about the only time I've ever had an easy time purchasing a car until the Tesla.
BonfireNerd04
Relevant Adam Conover video:

fullback44
AG
atmtws said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Just got a 2024 GMC AT4 3.0 Diesel for $7500 off MSRP and 1.9% for 72 months…maybe you're not shopping right on the loan.
Thats because they're #1 target in car thefts.
Get the Revelco… no one is taking your car or truck if you have a Revelco.. best $800 I ever spent .. never worry about my Tahoe being stolen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.