The Tucker interview with Putin

29,317 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by oh no
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hedge highjacks are so old.
Infection_Ag11
AG
AggieKO said:

Curious if Putin understands English but can't speak it? His answers are much quicker than Tuckers.

Putin speaks English, just not well enough to conduct a two hour long form interview in it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nanomachines son

Absolutely, this was my biggest takeaway.
ttu_85
Nanomachines son said:

Watching this Putin interview I came away with the fact that I hate modern American politics. Putin knows his nation's history and we should expect that from our leaders. We used to have this and we used to have leaders who knew history dating back to Jamestown and back into England and Europe.

Regardless of Putin's motivations or lies, you cannot say he has not studied history and geopolitics extensively. We need to expect this and demand it from our own leaders.

Yes but Putin's takes this to entire differently level. Its his religion- the way he recounted Russian history and Poland's intervention in that 'holy' history. He blames 13th C Poland for the Ukrainian mess of today. That requires a passion most folk just dont have; dangerous levels of it. The sooner this dude exits this world the better off it will be.
Brother Shamus
This interview with Putin comes out and then last night we got to see Biden speak.

Good god.
nortex97
AG
Partially right but even that is not really the full picture as culturally viewed from them. They really do still see Russia as the heir or "new rome" a successor after the second one, Constantinople, fell. And yes that is a cultural/historical alignment. It's not wholly schismatic with other orthodox sees but they do see Roman Catholic and Protestants as just heterodox or heretical and the threat of degradation culturally from the west as real.
ttu_85
MouthBQ98 said:

Yes. Keep in mind Putin is the head Oligarch too, effectively. He is a billionaire mostly discreetly, but his focus is power and putting power to use instead of amassing wealth. He drew much of his power by being the politically acceptable and populist face of that group amongst the Russian population, and restoring order from the post breakup chaos, even if it was through authoritarianism. An alliance with his peers in their respective areas of economic power helped him reach and stay at the top, until he had fixed his position. Keeping them satisfied as a group does matter and the war definitely strains that economically, but I think it also helps empower Putin as long as it does not hot terribly badly in the view of the Russian public.

Putin can use wars to reestablish Russian sovereignty or prestige pretty much almost endlessly to keep his population focused on that matter and off of any dissatisfaction they might feel. It is something Russia is culturally used to.
Great post as always. It is ingrained in their being. Even the harden Stalinist communist had to refer to WW2 as "The Great Patriotic War." Russia has always had a dark bloody history. Repeated invasions will do that to a people-- The Mongols, French, Germans, etc have killed millions through the centuries.

Look at our 1 big land war fought here at home, the Civil War, and its influences on culture especially the South. Magnify that X 100.
Rapier108
No surprise that Putin can't get over stuff that happened to Russia 1000+ years ago.

As Dr. Dunning taught in his Russian history class, Russians have the biggest case of victim mentality of any society on Earth. They simply cannot let go of any wrong, perceived or not, that Russia has suffered. In their minds, they are always the victim of some injustice that needs to be righted, but at the same time, no amount of righting is ever enough.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Mike Hancho
Rapier108 said:

No surprise that Putin can't get over stuff that happened to Russia 1000+ years ago.

As Dr. Dunning taught in his Russian history class, Russians have the biggest case of victim mentality of any society on Earth. They simply cannot let go of any wrong, perceived or not, that Russia has suffered. In their minds, they are always the victim of some injustice that needs to be righted, but at the same time, no amount of righting is ever enough.
yep, its amazing how many people keep falling for putins grift. He's a short manlet with an inferiority complex who parades around as a badass
Rapier108
Mike Hancho said:

Rapier108 said:

yep, its amazing how many people keep falling for putins grift. He's a short manlet with an inferiority complex who parades around as a badass
Hedge, as usual you completely missed the point.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Woods Ag
AG
Great posts from both of you.

It's interesting. I was speaking with a Bulgarian friend about the US and his culture and the differences and something he said rings true in what yall are posting about. It's very similar to what you just stated.

He essentially said that America is a baby. Our history is so small we have no basis of understanding the perspectives of other parts of the world that literally have 1000s of years of history where they walk and work and live everyday. Our knowledge of history, at least the knowledge that is personal to us starts in the 1700s. We're proud of America and our history as brief as it is. Whereas their knowledge of history that is personal to them dwarfs it by comparison.

Kind of interesting to think about.

To comment on the post above your about Dr Dunning. It seems naive that the "baby" is commenting on the perspective of the people that have been around for a very long time. The South Will Rise Again! Southerns still cling to their side. We love our military and their accomplishments in every war we've been in since 1776. Would you not also expect other countries to do the same?
Gigem314
AG
Rapier108 said:

It's also interesting in how eerily similar it is to the mindset of many Americans who are chasing after perceived injustices that no amount of righting will ever fix - only they want to do it as a means of taking the U.S. down a peg....while Putin and those like him in Russia are using their inferiority complex and victim mentality to strengthen their country as best they can.

In both cases, it's a hurt that worldy things will never fix. All it does is destroy what's around them.
Hungry Ojos
Mike Hancho said:

Rapier108 said:

And yet, I would bet everything I own that despite your tough guy comments from behind your computer screen, half a world away, that Putin, a 70 year old man, would beat the absolute **** out of you in a fight.
Agthatbuilds
Nanomachines son said:

Ultimately, putins/russias opinion on historical Russian territories is irrelevant.

It's the same logic hilter used.

It's the same logic leftist use today regarding native Americans

It would justify mexico invading the southwest to claim back ancestral lands.

It doesn't matter what happened 1000 years ago, or even 100.

Ukraine is a sovereign state. He has no justification for this invasion.
StandUpforAmerica
Rapier108 said:

Sounds like a certain group in our country.
I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
txags92
AG
Tibbers said:

Yay for war and death! Why is Russia our enemy again?
Because they chose to be. And I don't want to be friends with a country that thinks it is ok to invade their neighbor, raping, torturing, and murdering the population along the way because "shared history" makes them think they belong together.
Nanomachines son
ttu_85 said:

Nanomachines son said:

Watching this Putin interview I came away with the fact that I hate modern American politics. Putin knows his nation's history and we should expect that from our leaders. We used to have this and we used to have leaders who knew history dating back to Jamestown and back into England and Europe.

Regardless of Putin's motivations or lies, you cannot say he has not studied history and geopolitics extensively. We need to expect this and demand it from our own leaders.

Yes but Putin's takes this to entire differently level. Its his religion- the way he recounted Russian history and Poland's invention in that 'holy' history. He blames 13th C Poland for the Ukrainian mess of today. That requires a passion most folk just dont have; dangerous levels of it. The sooner this dude exits this world the better off it will be.

We should demand this level of passion from our leaders. Why is this a bad thing? He's not blaming Poland at all, he used all of the historical context to show why those lands belonged to Russia, not that it was all Poland's fault. Our leaders should have an autistic level of of knowledge about US history going back to Jamestown. They should know the reasons and causes for every major conflict and land acquisition. They should know our grievances or claims to specific areas of land. They should know why people made the decisions they did within the historical context of the time period.

This is not dangerous at all. This is what good leaders do. This place constantly harps on how those who forget history are doomed to repeat it yet when confronted by a foreign adversary who has this level of knowledge, it is now condemned. I don't get it, either knowledge of history is a good thing or it is bad. Which is it?
GAC06
AG
I guess he forgot the bit of history that Ukraine voted for independence and Russia agreed to guarantee their territorial integrity, and not hundreds of years ago. In his lifetime.
Woods Ag
AG
He does. There was an agreement and that agreement was broken by Ukraine and NATO which allowed him to break his side of the agreement.

You can be opposed to him invading Ukraine and also understand that he had a reason to do so. They're not mutually exclusive.
txags92
AG
Nanomachines son said:

ttu_85 said:

Nanomachines son said:

Yes but Putin's takes this to entire differently level. Its his religion- the way he recounted Russian history and Poland's invention in that 'holy' history. He blames 13th C Poland for the Ukrainian mess of today. That requires a passion most folk just dont have; dangerous levels of it. The sooner this dude exits this world the better off it will be.

We should demand this level of passion from our leaders. Why is this a bad thing? He's not blaming Poland at all, he used all of the historical context to show why those lands belonged to Russia, not that it was all Poland's fault. Our leaders should have an autistic level of of knowledge about US history going back to Jamestown. They should know the reasons and causes for every major conflict and land acquisition. They should know our grievances or claims to specific areas of land. They should know why people made the decisions they did within the historical context of the time period.

This is not dangerous at all. This is what good leaders do. This place constantly harps on how those who forget history are doomed to repeat it yet when confronted by a foreign adversary who has this level of knowledge, it is now condemned. I don't get it, either knowledge of history is a good thing or it is bad. Which is it?
The problem with Putin's reliance on that history is that he thinks it trumps the self determination of the Ukrainian people who decided that they did not want to be a part of Russia anymore. Russia made a deal with Ukraine to give up their nukes in return for a promise from Russia not to invade, and Russia broke that promise. None of Putin's long line of historical claims trumps the right of a free people to self determine who governs them.
Woods Ag
AG
So if the people of Texas vote to be able to self govern outside of the US' control, the US MUST comply and allow them to leave?
OverSeas AG
AG
Mike Hancho said:

Daddy said:

suburban cowboy said:

At least Russia has a leader that loves and serves his country

Absolutely
Actually elected a real competent leader that sharp as a knife that loves his country that's not putting his country up for sale whether you agree with his agenda or not as a United States citizen

I actually listen to it and said man I wish he was our president versus poopy pants who's bought and paid for by people that hate our country that are trying to implode it.

Elected? Lmao.

It's amazing how many of the far right thinks Putin is a good "alpha male" badass. You're being played by a KGB agent who want to restore the ussr

And then there are the beta bois that think Biden is amazing.

Putin and Biden are cut from the same cloth, pols that lie as soon as they open their mouth. And the sheeple lap it up.
txags92
AG
Woods Ag said:

So if the people of Texas vote to be able to self govern outside of the US' control, the US MUST comply and allow them to leave?
Yes.
Woods Ag
AG
You know it won't be that easy though, right?
GAC06
AG
Woods Ag said:

Ukraine has been independent 30 years and Russia recognized it.
txags92
AG
Woods Ag said:

He does. There was an agreement and that agreement was broken by Ukraine and NATO which allowed him to break his side of the agreement.

You can be opposed to him invading Ukraine and also understand that he had a reason to do so. They're not mutually exclusive.
His claims about the US and Ukraine supposedly breaking the agreement are a smoke screen he used as his basis for the invasion. He broke the agreement in 2014 and his real reason for the invasion was that the Ukrainians threw out his puppet in favor of a leader of their choosing.
txags92
AG
Woods Ag said:

You know it won't be that easy though, right?
Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it is wrong. Our declaration of independence spells it out. When a free people decide that they have had enough from their government and decide they want to change, it is their inherent right to do so and choose a government for themselves.
Woods Ag
AG
definitely. and after that we had to fight for it - twice.

I'm guessing Ukraine and Russia are going through the same thing now. I wish it wasn't at the expense of the American tax payer.
1836er
AG
Nanomachines son said:

This is largely because progressivism has become the religion of the modern West, of which the arrogant dogma of presentism is one of its pillars.
Nanomachines son
GAC06 said:

I guess he forgot the bit of history that Ukraine voted for independence and Russia agreed to guarantee their territorial integrity, and not hundreds of years ago. In his lifetime.

I'm not trying to justify his claims, only that he was using history to show Russia's claims good or bad. Also that we should demand our leaders have this level of knowledge of our own history.

I don't have to like Putin or agree with him to respect his historical knowledge and be envious of Russia having a leader that cares this much about his own nation.
281TexAg
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

That's the whole point of the US sending arms to Ukraine. Ukraine is in the way of Russia's real targets.

Russia's declining population and indefensible geography have made the more paranoid nationalists like Putin believe that the only way they can survive is to secure chokepoints against future land invasion. This means securing the mountainous region in Moldova and parts of Hungary, taking back Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and taking over parts of Poland.

If this is true, then why didn't Putin invade these countries back in the 2000's when the US had 250,000+ troops tied down in Iraq and Afghanistan? We wouldn't have been able to stop them.
El Gallo Blanco
Can you imagine having a president as smart, sharp, well spoken, philosophical, and historically knowledgeable as this man? I wish more Americans would watch this interview...especially the super pro-war ones. This guy runs circles around almost all of our politicians cognitively. We are a bunch of clowns in comparison.

Has anyone fact checked this interview yet? I could not find any holes or obvious lies. He just has a different position...but I didn't pick up on any real propaganda whatsoever. I still have 30 min to go though.

I almost wonder if he had an earpiece or something with advanced AI or a van full of brainiacs telling him what to say when he was spouting off 30 min of history and dates like it was nothing. Very impressive man.

But my main takeaway was how stupid and trashy our politicians are in comparison. I was fine with Russia doing their own thing and for us letting them settle old border skirmishes that we have no business involving ourselves in. Now I'm actively rooting for them to take what is theirs...it's the way of the world. Every country has done this at some point. We need to walk away.

Wish we could one day stumble on a president with Putin's good traits and without his bad ones. Pipe dream.
txags92
AG
281TexAg said:

AtticusMatlock said:

That's the whole point of the US sending arms to Ukraine. Ukraine is in the way of Russia's real targets.

Russia's declining population and indefensible geography have made the more paranoid nationalists like Putin believe that the only way they can survive is to secure chokepoints against future land invasion. This means securing the mountainous region in Moldova and parts of Hungary, taking back Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and taking over parts of Poland.

If this is true, then why didn't Putin invade these countries back in the 2000's when the US had 250,000+ troops tied down in Iraq and Afghanistan? We wouldn't have been able to stop them.
They were busy fighting in Chechnya.
El Gallo Blanco
Agthatbuilds said:

Nanomachines son said:

Ultimately, putins/russias opinion on historical Russian territories is irrelevant.

It's the same logic hilter used.

It's the same logic leftist use today regarding native Americans

It would justify mexico invading the southwest to claim back ancestral lands.

It doesn't matter what happened 1000 years ago, or even 100.

Ukraine is a sovereign state. He has no justification for this invasion.
This is fair game, I dare them to try. Is there a single piece of land in this world that hasn't been claimed/taken/re-claimed over time?

But if Mexico tried, I would never expect Russia (or any other distant foreign country) to involve themselves unless it served the interests of their people.

Billions upon billions funneling into Ukraine does not help American people during these hard times. It hurts us, and hurts our children. i would bet it helps some already-very-rich-politicians though.
El Gallo Blanco
GAC06 said:

Woods Ag said:

Ukraine has been independent 30 years and Russia recognized it.
There were contingencies though. Deals and agreements and understandings that were not adhered to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.