Explosion in downtown Ft Worth?

5,611 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Rapier108
Triple S
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Photo courtesy of Texas Storm Chasers

Posted -3:45PM Central

Anyone know what happened?
"Eat more do-nuts and less lists" - Dennis Franchonie
kingj3
AG
I say again: Natural gas is a threat to our democracy
P.U.T.U
AG
Believe that is the Sandman hotel, not much info other than that. May have a collapsed story after the explosion
Esteban du Plantier
AG
News is reporting a gas explosion.
Desert Ag
AG

Former W.T. Waggoner bldg.
Desert Ag
AG
That's going to be a hell of an insurance claim!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Holy crap. I used to work about 3-4 blocks away from there and eat lunch about a block away.
Legal Custodian
AG
Gas leak at the restaurant in the Hotel apparently. Judging by the damage I would be shocked if there weren't any fatalities but will be praying that's not the case.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
The building just re-opened last spring as a hotel. The building is near 100 years old. I believe it is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Work about three blocks from there, and the explosion was quite loud.
FWAppraiser
AG
That building has had a lot of work done on it recently. I would guess a loose fitting.
As of now, MedStar is reporting 11 injured and no confirmed fatalities. Hopefully that remains the case.
scoodogg
AG
The area was full of high school kids and families Wednesday through yesterday for the UIL Spirit competition. I'm sure that hotel was full of cheer teams with it being so close to the convention center. I hope all injuries were minor.
cr06gis
AG
our office is 2 blocks away

scared the sht out us

hopefully not too many injuries
Charpie
AG
ABC News picking this up calling it a "major incident."
Ghost Mech
FWAppraiser said:

That building has had a lot of work done on it recently. I would guess a loose fitting.
As of now, MedStar is reporting 11 injured and no confirmed fatalities. Hopefully that remains the case.

Thats a pretty good guess. Someone took a short cut hooking up a line for the restaurant or down in the mechanical room in the basement.

Or there's an outside chance it was deliberate by a disgruntled employee.....
DannyDuberstein
AG
XTO Energy had its HQ there years ago. They were a client of mine for 5 years, so lots of time spent there. First floor was really cool. Board room basically set up in an old bank vault. Really neat old building. Some photos from back then

https://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180
Chetos
AG
kingj3 said:

I say again: Natural gas is a threat to our democracy
yup, natural gas is first suspect when nothing appears burned.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

XTO Energy had its HQ there years ago. They were a client of mine for 5 years, so lots of time spent there. First floor was really cool. Board room basically set up in an old bank vault. Really neat old building. Some photos from back then

https://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180

That board room had bulletproof glass, too.
GarryowenAg
AG
cctexagMD
AG
Someone I know was there and injured and made it to hospital. Said some others got it really bad.

He works at RAYTHEON and was attending some sort of conference.
"I wanna go home with the Armadillo."- Gary P. Nunn
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiehawg
AG
cctexagMD said:

Someone I know was there and injured and made it to hospital. Said some others got it really bad.

He works at RAYTHEON and was attending some sort of conference.
Raytheon? A conference he attended?

Tin foil hat not on but the foil is on the countertop.
bigjag19
AG
Any info on who owns or manages building?
FWAppraiser
AG
Owner of the hotel is Tom Gagliardi's company (owner of the Dallas Stars).
Esteban du Plantier
AG
[No need for the vulgarity -- Staff]
Breggy Popup
AG
Just checked out of there yesterday. We were up there for UIL state cheer finals. It was completely packed over the weekend with cheerleaders and families.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Lord have mercy!
torrid
AG
Desert Ag said:

Former W.T. Waggoner bldg.
Is that the original name of the building? I was trying to identify it with my parents, who are both from Fort Worth. They said the Continental National Bank was in the lobby at one point.

edit - Yep. William Thomas Waggoner, local rancher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._T._Waggoner_Building
Canyon99
91AggieLawyer said:

Holy crap. I used to work about 3-4 blocks away from there and eat lunch about a block away.

Dang!
Midland CT 05
AG
My wife works 2 blocks away, and I remodeled a condo across the street last year so I've been following this story. Fort Worth Start Telegram just posted a story where Atmos has said their gas system was not involved in the blast….

Sorry on my phone or I'd post a link, they just shared it on the twitter page.
aggiehawg
AG
Midland CT 05 said:

My wife works 2 blocks away, and I remodeled a condo across the street last year so I've been following this story. Fort Worth Start Telegram just posted a story where Atmos has said their gas system was not involved in the blast….

So the reports by people smelling gas after the explosion were likely caused by the blast but not the cause of the blast?

Is that the takeaway here?
JayHowdy!
Midland CT 05 said:

I would assume that to mean that the leak did not happen on their side of the meter. There could have been a leak from inside the building. There was construction going on in the kitchen at the time.
Midland CT 05
AG
The article doesn't specify, but I think that's a fair assumption, that Atmos would only check up to their meter.
Breggy Popup
AG
JayHowdy! said:

Midland CT 05 said:

I would assume that to mean that the leak did not happen on their side of the meter. There could have been a leak from inside the building. There was construction going on in the kitchen at the time.
What's odd to me is that you'd need a fairly large buildup of gas to have that big of an explosion. The kitchen is in the basement so that would be an area that could accumulate enough but I'd think SOMEONE would have smelled it or even had effects from that much gas before it accumulated enough for that big of a boom.
Stat Monitor Repairman
First floor of a building blows out in the middle of the day in a major metro area.

Sure seems like a lack of urgency in figuring this out.
C@LAg
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

First floor of a building blows out in the middle of the day in a major metro area.

Sure seems like a lack of urgency in figuring this out.
There IS a taco Bell just 7 blocks down the street (W Weatherford/Henderson)

Maybe someone had an early lunch that day?
Rapier108
Bregxit said:

JayHowdy! said:

Midland CT 05 said:

What's odd to me is that you'd need a fairly large buildup of gas to have that big of an explosion. The kitchen is in the basement so that would be an area that could accumulate enough but I'd think SOMEONE would have smelled it or even had effects from that much gas before it accumulated enough for that big of a boom.
If the leak was underground and coming up through the soil, that can scrub out the mercaptan which is added to the gas to make it smell. Without that, natural gas is odorless.

I don't know the design of the building, but if it was accumulating in the walls, but little into an occupied area, that could also preclude anyone from having any effects from it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.