It's happening... backlash against tipping

18,174 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by aggiehawg
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tipping in the States has turned customer service into a game of deference rather than actual service. And in reality, whether a server gets 18% or 22% or 25% likely has much more to do with how somebody decides they want to round a check in the moment than it does actual quality of customer service the vast majority of the time.
ts5641
I went to a concert at AT&T stadium last week. As I was in the process of paying $13 for a Miller light, they do the iPad thing where you have a choice to tip 20%, 25%, or 30%. Then there's a small button over to the right for no tip. I selected the latter. Not paying a tip for me standing in line and paying ridiculous prices on a crap beer.
peacedude
AG
If you like the place you were at (and are a regular), get ready to move on to the next place on your list. Attitudes of piss-poor customers like you are why good servers move on to places that don't practice tip-sharing.
BMX Bandit
ts5641 said:

I went to a concert at AT&T stadium last week. As I was in the process of paying $13 for a Miller light, they do the iPad thing where you have a choice to tip 20%, 25%, or 30%. Then there's a small button over to the right for no tip. I selected the latter. Not paying a tip for me standing in line and paying ridiculous prices on a crap beer.

I've seen those checkerkess kiosks where you scan your own beer ask for a tip.
Slicer97
AG
peacedude said:

If you like the place you were at (and are a regular), get ready to move on to the next place on your list. Attitudes of piss-poor customers like you are why good servers move on to places that don't practice tip-sharing.

Ah, entitlement....
peacedude
AG
Slicer97 said:

peacedude said:

Ah, entitlement....
Indeed.

Watch for it next time you're at a food/drink establishment. There will be servers off to the side gossiping, and then several that never stop...bussing tables, cleaning, working their asses off, etc.

The gossipers feel entitled to the hard worker's money via tip-sharing.
General Jack D. Ripper
Tipping is the business's way of paying their employees more.
There was this one time at ban camp…
CheeseSndwch
I'm a pretty avid tipper but anyone who asks/solicits me for a tip before actually performing a service isn't getting squat.
Rocky Rider
AG
I just love tipping before I receive my food, beverage, and/or service. Example: Coffee shops. This has to be among the most ridiculous practices.
General Jack D. Ripper
Rocky Rider said:

I just love tipping before I receive my food, beverage, and/or service. Example: Coffee shops. This has to be among the most ridiculous practices.

We are clearly paying them not to toss a booger in there.
There was this one time at ban camp…
ATM9000
AG
peacedude said:

Slicer97 said:

peacedude said:

Ah, entitlement....
Indeed.

Watch for it next time you're at a food/drink establishment. There will be servers off to the side gossiping, and then several that never stop...bussing tables, cleaning, working their asses off, etc.

The gossipers feel entitled to the hard worker's money via tip-sharing.

This sort of proves the point that tipping actually creates an inferior product in that what you are describing here is indicative of an establishment not holding the people who work for them to basic standards. This is the other reason I find the concept so stupid and think it rips off the consumer way more than people realize it does.
HarleySpoon
AG
ts5641 said:

Went to a concert there a couple of months ago. When the tip screen came up on my credit card pmt, the worker said: "don't tip…none of that goes to us." I said thanks, didn't tip, and gave her a dollar bill.
peacedude
AG
If you get rid of tip-sharing, everything works itself out. That's all there is to it.

If you pay servers a servers minimum wage ($2.13/hr), and do not practice tip-sharing, lazy workers will either quit immediately, or learn a solid work ethic.

Tip-sharing is usually a manager's way of being able to dip their hand into the jar.
ATM9000
AG
peacedude said:

If you get rid of tip-sharing, everything works itself out. That's all there is to it.

If you pay servers a servers minimum wage ($2.13/hr), and do not practice tip-sharing, lazy workers will either quit immediately, or learn a solid work ethic.

Tip-sharing is usually a manager's way of being able to dip their hand into the jar.

OR… owners can pay a wage people will work for in a open market, charge enough to the customer to support that then just tell servers how they need to operate and take the guess work out of it with the tipping nonsense.

The effect of that will be I am more likely to get consistent customer service no matter who waits on my table, I won't get servers who mistake good service for deference and best of all… nobody has to deal with this weird market inside a market nonsense when they just want a cheeseburger and a beer
peacedude
AG
As I said several posts ago, if you like the service you've received, ask the server if they are subject to tip-sharing. If they are, and you have cash handy, tip them personally with a handshake. Otherwise, every other server will want to know how much they just got tipped. Moreover, if the business is being slammed, and someone has to bus your table...I've seen more than a few bussers/servers pocket some of the money left on the table.

Every place is different, but the establishments that practice tip-sharing are almost always run by die-hard leftists. (ie: "Your tip is all of our tip")
Bubblez
I zeroed out a tip for an Uber Eats driver who allowed a bag to tip over. Having to offer up a tip upfront is more of a bribe to get the order picked up sooner, though at least you can change it post-delivery.
ATM9000
AG
peacedude said:

As I said several posts ago, if you like the service you've received, ask the server if they are subject to tip-sharing. If they are, and you have cash handy, tip them personally with a handshake. Otherwise, every other server will want to know how much they just got tipped. Moreover, if the business is being slammed, and someone has to bus your table...I've seen more than a few bussers/servers pocket some of the money left on the table.

Every place is different, but the establishments that practice tip-sharing are almost always run by die-hard leftists. (ie: "Your tip is all of our tip")

But as said earlier… that's a pain in the ass for me… hence, more evidence that tipping really isn't good for anybody except for possibly the owners of the joint and even then… it's probably bad for them in the long run as it makes it makes setting standards a lot harder to do.

I kinda don't want to care how you are compensated and have to adjust accordingly to make it fair for yours truly. All I want is good service at a known price for a known product. That's the easiest outcome to me as a consumer.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Does Luby's really have kids that come around to your table now to pester you and ask for tips?
Tanya 93
We just have counter service.
Order your food and pick it up at the kitchen window.

Everyone makes more than minimum wage.

Tips handed to you or left on a table is yours to keep.
The charge tips and the tip jar, mostly filled by little old ladies who think the government has no business in what they give, are pooled and given out in cash every Monday.
These are the taxable tips.

It makes everyone happy
dcbowers
AG
sanangelo said:

FbgTxAg said:

If you think about it, we're all being asked to tip our Aggie Athletes as well.

Final game at Kyle, I paid about $20 for a water and a popcorn at a self-service concessions stand. The iPad checkout thing asked if I wanted to tip and 20% was highlightedthat's four freaking dollars! More than the water and popcorn should have cost!!! I turned to the "supervisor" kid and told him I thought that was ridiculous. He said, "please don't tip. We don't see a dime of that money!" The concessions company levy was pocketing the tips!!! Don't tip at Kyle Field!

Can we repost this before football season starts?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Does Luby's really have kids that come around to your table now to pester you and ask for tips?
I thought Luby's was pretty much gone. Do they still exist?
ef857002-e9da-4375-b80a-869a3518bb00@8shield.net
Chef Elko
AG
We need it on the Football board before the first game and get it to POTD
eric76
AG

By the way, when I was a kid, we went to New Orleans once for a church convention.

While there, we went to a cafeteria for supper one evening.

What surprised us was that there were black women there who would carry your tray to the table for you and expected a tip -- maybe a dime which, considering how busy that cafeteria was, would have been really good money in those days. They were likely carrying 15 or 20 trays per hour and so that would be $1.50 to $2 per hour. At that time, my oldest brother was making 75 cents per hour.
ef857002-e9da-4375-b80a-869a3518bb00@8shield.net
HarleySpoon
AG
eric76 said:

By the way, when I was a kid, we went to New Orleans once for a church convention.

While there, we went to a cafeteria for supper one evening.

What surprised us was that there were black women there who would carry your tray to the table for you and expected a tip -- maybe a dime which, considering how busy that cafeteria was, would have been really good money in those days. They were likely carrying 15 or 20 trays per hour and so that would be $1.50 to $2 per hour. At that time, my oldest brother was making 75 cents per hour.
I only remember them carrying the trays for folks that had kids and thus had two trays. Of course that wasn't New Orleans.
AggieVictor10
AG
Having dated waitresses and bartenders , When I was younger, I've come around the idea of tipping well, but yeah, as soon as there is any sort of forced gratuity, it turns me off the idea of tipping all together. While it is perhaps a bit different, my preference is to pay slightly more for my meal and not be expected to tip at all. One of my favorite restaurants in the area Switched To this model a few years ago, and I loved it, Even if it was a bit jarring at first.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
BonfireNerd04
AggieVictor10 said:

Having dated waitresses and bartenders , When I was younger, I've come around the idea of tipping well, but yeah, as soon as there is any sort of forced gratuity, it turns me off the idea of tipping all together. While it is perhaps a bit different, my preference is to pay slightly more for my meal and not be expected to tip at all. One of my favorite restaurants in the area Switched To this model a few years ago, and I loved it, Even if it was a bit jarring at first.

That's the way it's done in most other countries.

The USA sure loves to do things our own way even when that way is totally stupid. Like tipping culture. And not having proportional representation in our legislatures. And car-dependent city planning.

At least "not using the metric system" has the valid excuse that changing would be absurdly expensive after building all of our infrastructure in inch-based standards.

Tipping is just a way for restaurant owners to guilt-trip their customers into paying most of their servers' wages so they don't have to.
Stat Monitor Repairman
eric76 said:

I thought Luby's was pretty much gone. Do they still exist?
Looks like they got 40 or so locations.

Have boycotted since they managed to **** up their CFS recipe. Go back to the old style crispy breading.
techno-ag
AG
Polls are showing it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/travel/2024/05/22/some-americans-have-stopped-tipping-should-you-do-the-same/

Quote:

Americans are known for generosity and willingness to tip for good service. But a recent poll by USA Today's Blueprint found 63% of respondents say too many businesses are asking for tips, and 48% are tired of being asked for a gratuity.

Almost the same number of Americans (62%) in another survey said they wouldn't give service workers year-end tips, according to the digital personal-finance company Achieve. The reason? Tip fatigue.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

well_endowed_ag
What is a year end tip?
techno-ag
AG
A bonus?
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

well_endowed_ag
techno-ag said:

A bonus?

A tip isn't a bonus. Why would a customer be paying an employee's end of year bonus? That's just stupid.
techno-ag
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

techno-ag said:

A bonus?

A tip isn't a bonus. Why would a customer be paying an employee's end of year bonus? That's just stupid.
I dunno. But there's definitely a backlash against it, whatever it's called.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

peacedude
AG
techno-ag said:

A bonus?
Several years ago, I was bartending at a burger bar called hopdoddy in SA. I've never even heard of a fast-casual restaurant as busy as that place was, as we served between 500-1000 customers/day during the holidays.

I worked Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, and New Years Day.

A Years-End tip is for those working the actual days of the holidays, as time and a half still only equated to $4.50/hr.
infinity ag
I worked as a bagger at Albertson's in College Station in the 90s. I also had to take groceries out to the car in many cases. I hardly got any tips. One hot college student girl gave me $5 one time which surprised me. Some old people gave me a dollar every now and then. Most did not give me anything even though I was making $5.30/hr.

So not sure why restaurant servers feel entitled to get 20-25% tips.
aggiehawg
AG
infinity ag said:

I worked as a bagger at Albertson's in College Station in the 90s. I also had to take groceries out to the car in many cases. I hardly got any tips. One hot college student girl gave me $5 one time which surprised me. Some old people gave me a dollar every now and then. Most did not give me anything even though I was making $5.30/hr.

So not sure why restaurant servers feel entitled to get 20-25% tips.
I would tip my sackers when they helped me out to the car when I was entertaining (anywhere from 35 for Thanksgiving to 200 for New Years) and had a full cart or even two carts. Between 5 and 10 bucks. I found out that when I approached a check out counter, sackers rushed over to bag my groceries, very carefully. That was in the early 90s at an upscale grocery store in NW Austin.

I worked as a cocktail waitress when I was in college. Salary was 10 cents a drink plus tips. One gentleman tipped me 20 bucks for getting him a sixty cent pack of cigs from the vending machine. (Obviously, cigs in the late seventies didn't cost as much as they do now.)

A few years back The Hubs and I were in Hot Springs on a vacay (family wedding related) and went to a restaurant named The Back Porch. We sat out on the deck on the water. The Hubs ordered a Cowboy Cut steak and I ordered a chicken pasta dish. My dinner was very good but The Hubs' steak was the best either he or I have ever had. Our waitress was phenomenal and we were cracking jokes all evening. Rest of the diners on the deck were laughing with us.

Waitress came out after near the end of dinner and asked us if we wanted an after dinner wine. Next time she came to the table, I said, "Want to hear our after dinner wine?" In unison, The Hubs and I said "WHERE'S OUR DRINKS?" Entire deck erupted in laughter. The chefs came out to meet us and that was before we tipped everybody a 50% tip of the final bill.

Great food and great service always deserves a sizeable tip. My bartenders at TGI Fridays doted on me because I tipped them well. There used to be a chicken egg theory on tipping.

Work it to earn it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.