It's happening... backlash against tipping

18,124 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by aggiehawg
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Paywall https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/tipping-down-service-workers-a4c27a2e?wsj_native_webview=android&ace_environment=androidphone%2Cwebview&ace_config=%7B%22wsj%22%3A%7B%22djcmp%22%3A%7B%22propertyHref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwsj.android.app%22%7D%7D%7D&ns=prod/accounts-wsj

"The Tipping Backlash Has Begun

As of November, service-sector workers in nonrestaurant jobs made 7% less in tips than a year ago

People are cutting back on tipping, frustrated by ubiquitous requests for gratuities.

As of November, service-sector workers in nonrestaurant leisure and hospitality jobs made $1.28 an hour in tips, on average, down 7% from the $1.38 an hour they made a year prior. "

It was inevitable imo. Because of the over the top "tip me" mentality, they've hurt those who really need and deserve tips.
Sharpshooter
AG
I am a traditional 20%+ tipper who has cut back because of this garbage.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Sharpshooter said:

Hard to justify 20% tipping when the cost to eat out is up 50%-75%
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Kenneth_2003
AG
I never bought into the added tipping for all of the "new" places so I haven't cut back.

But dang it is out of hand!
TRADUCTOR
It's the Third World culture who never tips infecting American culture
GAC06
AG
Lots of first world places where tipping isn't really a thing. Tipping is a stupid custom as it exists here.
aggiez03
AG
Ordered some hardware from a small WiFi type company out of Florida ONLINE last week and they had an option to tip the staff during checkout. I never talked or chatted with a live person the 5 minutes I was on there.

Question during checkout was like 'would you like to tip the staff who process your order?'

Never seen that before!
hoosier-daddy
I have 3 little kids. I tip very well when the family dines out.
bigtruckguy3500
TRADUCTOR said:

It's the Third World culture who never tips infecting American culture
Actually the opposite. I've been to several 3rd world countries, and tipping is much more common there than places in Europe, or in Japan.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Pretty sure that's what the H is for in S&H charges.

FbgTxAg
AG
If you think about it, we're all being asked to tip our Aggie Athletes as well.
FJB
AG
Ordered a pizza today that I picked up.

Kindly went with 0% tip when prompted by the online ordering system.
Jeff84
AG
Here's the problem I have with the way many of these places do tipping:

They want me to tip BEFORE I taste or use their product. I don't mind tipping as a reward for good service or a delicious meal. But too many times I have been asked to tip (Starbucks for example) before I have even had a sip of coffee.

I understand why people are getting fed up with this.
aggie93
AG
I'm picking up more and I don't tip when I pick up. Going out to eat and paying 50% more than it used to be plus a 20% tip gets damn pricey and now they are starting to ask for 25%.

In Austin I know it isn't unusual for a waiter at a good restaurant to make strong 6 figures. Sorry but that's crazy. It's part of why some Gen Z folks complain about what they make out of school. I mean it's not hard to make $50-75k iwaiting tables or bartending as a 20 something or more. Unless you have a really marketable degree you will be lucky to make that.

I don't know what the end solution is but I cook at home more now than ever.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
BBRex
AG
Yeah, it's a shame when people make good money at their jobs.
Logos Stick
BBRex said:

Yeah, it's a shame when people make good money at their jobs.

It's a shame when strawmen are posted.
Enzomatic
hoosier-daddy said:

I have 3 little kids. I tip very well when the family dines out.

That's fantastic. Clearly this doesn't relate to dining out (where someone actually waits on you to earn the tip), but good job! Pat on the back to you!
TexAgs91
AG
Jeff84 said:

They want me to tip BEFORE I taste or use their product. I don't mind tipping as a reward for good service or a delicious meal. But too many times I have been asked to tip (Starbucks for example) before I have even had a sip of coffee.

You have to tip according to their service. If they want a tip before providing service then you'd have to tip them 0%
Fight! Fight! Fight!
sanangelo
AG
FbgTxAg said:

If you think about it, we're all being asked to tip our Aggie Athletes as well.

Final game at Kyle, I paid about $20 for a water and a popcorn at a self-service concessions stand. The iPad checkout thing asked if I wanted to tip and 20% was highlightedthat's four freaking dollars! More than the water and popcorn should have cost!!! I turned to the "supervisor" kid and told him I thought that was ridiculous. He said, "please don't tip. We don't see a dime of that money!" The concessions company levy was pocketing the tips!!! Don't tip at Kyle Field!
San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
BonfireNerd04
The credit card machine at Little Caesar's today prompted me for a tip. Of course, I didn't give one.
BonfireNerd04
GAC06 said:

Lots of first world places where tipping isn't really a thing. Tipping is a stupid custom as it exists here.
Indeed. Tipping long ago ceased to be a reward for good service, and became a scheme for restaurant owners to make their customers pay most of their waiters' wages so they don't have to.

Europe got this one right. Even other industries in the US did. You don't tip your cashier at HEB. You don't tip the guy who measures your foot size at the shoe store. Why should restaurants be any different? Pay your damn workers instead of asking us to. Leave tipping culture to the strip clubs.
EskimoJoe
aggiez03 said:

Ordered some hardware from a small WiFi type company out of Florida ONLINE last week and they had an option to tip the staff during checkout. I never talked or chatted with a live person the 5 minutes I was on there.

Question during checkout was like 'would you like to tip the staff who process your order?'

Never seen that before!

better tip or they will spit on your hardware
cecil77
AG
I tip big. like at the local taco shop $5 $10 min even if that's 50% or more. Routinely at a restaurant 30% is my floor. I feel like it means more to the server than it does to me.

However (comma) tipping is meant for server employees that make the $2.13 allowed by law (Texas) for employees who work for tips. For counter service who are paid minimum wage or more, I'll throw a couple bucks, but no more. It's gotten out of hand, at this point I'll click the 0% button even if they're watching.
No Spin Ag
cecil77 said:

I tip big. like at the local taco shop $5 $10 min even if that's 50% or more. Routinely at a restaurant 30% is my floor. I feel like it means more to the server than it does to me.

However (comma) tipping is meant for server employees that make the $2.13 allowed by law (Texas) for employees who work for tips. For counter service who are paid minimum wage or more, I'll throw a couple bucks, but no more. It's gotten out of hand, at this point I'll click the 0% button even if they're watching.

I'm the same. I only tip servers making the $2.13. Anyone that's making minimum wage or higher isn't getting tipped.

To me, that would be like tipping every cashier I deal with on a daily basis, and that's never happened and never will.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
jja79
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Sharpshooter said:

Then don't eat out. The increased cost has nothing to do with the restaurant staff. It's the idiot in the White House.
Bryanisbest
AG
GAC06 said:

Tipping is an opportunity to help those in need. It is better to give than receive.
JohnnyStatueNow
AG
Tipping servers at restaurants needs to be done. Tips are where they make most/all of their money. However, I went to Santa's Wonderland in BCS earlier this December and every time I paid for anything, there was an option to tip. The tip suggestion went all the way up to 30%!! Sorry, you aren't getting any tip from me when you are already getting paid an hourly wage. Should be the case in all situations.

Olin's Illegitimate Son That He Doesn't Know About
C@LAg
ban tipping.

everywhere.
OdessaAg
AG
I thoroughly enjoy hitting the "no tip" button at Starbucks and now Jimmy John's.
Muktheduck
JohnnyStatueNow said:

Tipping servers at restaurants needs to be done. Tips are where they make most/all of their money. However, I went to Santa's Wonderland in BCS earlier this December and every time I paid for anything, there was an option to tip. The tip suggestion went all the way up to 30%!! Sorry, you aren't getting any tip from me when you are already getting paid an hourly wage. Should be the case in all situations.

For me it has nothing to do with hourly wage. I don't tip unless I'm being waited on/served. If you're doing a job that could have just as easily been a self-checkout, why on earth would you get a tip.

If a server does the bare minimum, my bare minimum tip is around 10%, if they do great they get 20. That's how this should work, you earn a tip with great service, not by ringing up my cheeseburger order
bthotugigem05
AG
I would be in favor of a tip disclosure law where a business asking for a tip must disclose the percentage of employees paid as tipped employees.
Rocky Rider
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

GAC06 said:

Indeed. Tipping long ago ceased to be a reward for good service, and became a scheme for restaurant owners to make their customers pay most of their waiters' wages so they don't have to.

Europe got this one right. Even other industries in the US did. You don't tip your cashier at HEB. You don't tip the guy who measures your foot size at the shoe store. Why should restaurants be any different? Pay your damn workers instead of asking us to. Leave tipping culture to the strip clubs.

I'd like to see this change but when it happens the restaurant owners either takes a cut in profits or raises prices. I don't see the former happening.

Of all the things I feel like I wasted money on in my life, 80% of dining out fast food purchases are near the top of the list.
Ag_of_08
AG
jja79 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Sharpshooter said:

Then don't eat out. The increased cost has nothing to do with the restaurant staff. It's the idiot in the White House.

Ah yes, don't enjoy the fruits of your labor peasant. You must tip a fixed percentage, even if it means paying someone more per hour than you make because the food cost has arbitrarily shot up.
MaroonStain
AG
If I am picking up an order, 10%. Rarely dine out since I mostly eat in my truck while working or at home, if I do, 20% to bartender or server. Deliver 20-25% dependent upon receipt of order.

If service is below average, above numbers decrease.
ts5641
TexAgs91 said:

Jeff84 said:

You have to tip according to their service. If they want a tip before providing service then you'd have to tip them 0%
It's a psychological game. At my favorite coffee shop, you order your coffee and then she flips over the iPad to complete your transaction. Then there are the tip choices. I like this place and the people and immediately feel like I have to tip so I typically do.
Also, when I order pickup or delivery I feel like if I don't tip they're going to mess with my food.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.