Israel/Hamas going at it

1,669,175 Views | 9815 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Brother Shamus
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They can materially impact traffic through the gulf and suez.
samurai_science
P.H. Dexippus said:

think Israel should be investing in some of the land-based Phalanx guns to take on both aerial and land short range threats that Iron Dome cannot. Had they had a few of these stationed around the kibbutz targets on 10/7, the terrorists would've have gotten very far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/ms-c-ram_lpws/
Israel not restricting gun rights the last few years would also have helped, but they dropped the ball.
FireAg
AG
Rossticus said:

FireAg said:

My gut has told me that Russia worked with Iran to initiate the Hamas attacks, followed by Hezbollah (thus opening two fronts) to force arms shipments to be diverted away from Ukraine and toward Israel...

Then they may ultimately have miscalculated and be looking at a short term benefit that regresses into a long term liability for them. Further ramp up of US production capacity and an Israel who has a score to settle.

And a flailing US economy can then benefit from US production ramp up...

It's not hard to connect the dots on all of this...globalists have been hard at work behind the scenes to set all of this in motion...
Mac94
AG
FireAg said:

My gut has told me that Russia worked with Iran to initiate the Hamas attacks, followed by Hezbollah (thus opening two fronts) to force arms shipments to be diverted away from Ukraine and toward Israel...
My gut says that this is "Art of War" stuff with China pulling the strings. Their ally has us draining war stocks in defense of Ukraine and that war has the rest of Europe locked in place. Now another BRICS ally, Iran, is formenting a Middle East front to further stretch our resources. All the while China and it's military are keeping their powder dry and fully stocked.
txags92
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

I think Israel should be investing in some of the land-based Phalanx guns to take on both aerial and land short range threats that Iron Dome cannot. Had they had a few of these stationed around the kibbutz targets on 10/7, the terrorists would've have gotten very far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/ms-c-ram_lpws/
The problem with those guns is that they spew out a ton of rounds in a hurry, and every one of them has to land somewhere. When you have fast moving targets coming in and the gun is swinging to engage them, you can put a bunch of civilian areas in the line of fire. Not a great weapon to use in densely populated areas.
PJYoung
AG
Houston Lee said:

We are going to war IMO. Once IDF invades Gaza, our carrier groups will be drawn into action. All hell is about to break loose.
Probably not.
jabberwalkie09
AG
nortex97 said:

They can materially impact traffic through the gulf and suez.
This is the issue IMO. Yemen launches at shipping can directly impact shipping transitting the Suez into the Med and to the reverse. This isn't the first time we (USN) have intercepted missiles from Yemen but timing is odd. I'll also note that we pulled ships (publicized information) from the Persian Gulf/Strait of Hormuz/Gulf of Oman to the Eastern Med during this time.

These units include:
  • USS Mount Whitney (Intel ship)
  • USS Batan (26th MEU)
  • USS Carter (26th MEU)
The Fall Guy
AG
Houston Lee said:

We are going to war IMO. Once IDF invades Gaza, our carrier groups will be drawn into action. All hell is about to break loose.

Agreed. We know once Israel starts its operation we will be hitting targets that attack Israel
G Martin 87
AG
JobSecurity said:

This is so poorly written. Makes it sound like the missiles were launched by the Carney, not intercepted.
P.U.T.U
AG
There have already been stories about how Russia gave real time satellite intel to Hamas, would not doubt that at all. Russia and Iran are working together to take down the west
Teslag
AG
P.U.T.U said:

There have already been stories about how Russia gave real time satellite intel to Hamas, would not doubt that at all. Russia and Iran are working together to take down the west

I'd tend to agree. I think some people don't see how much Russia is a threat to us and the means they will go to harm us.
Rossticus
Mac94 said:

FireAg said:

My gut says that this is "Art of War" stuff with China pulling the strings. Their ally has us draining war stocks in defense of Ukraine and that war has the rest of Europe locked in place. Now another BRICS ally, Iran, is formenting a Middle East front to further stretch our resources. All the while China and it's military are keeping their powder dry and fully stocked.

And that's all great if they move quickly enough. However, if it's too incremental then that gives the politicians, US government bureaucracy, MIC, etc. time to get on the same page and (mostly) pull in a unified direction (not to mention the measures Europe has been taking to increase their military production capabilities).

If it causes sufficient discord and kicks things off in rapid succession then they have us at a significant disadvantage. If we have time to get the behemoth spun up and chugging (not that I want it to come to that), then they'll have done themselves far more harm than good. If they're going to move then the time is now. The longer they wait, from this point forward, will be to their detriment. IMO
h1ag
AG
I'd love to know what the CARNEY used to prosecute those missiles. If they were inbd, it could have been CIWS, and that would have been a real oh **** experience for most folks on surface ships. If they're the water-pipe pipe bombs like we're seeing from Hamas, I can't imagine us using any SM-2s. Maybe the 5 inch, but my GMs never gave me much confidence that we'd be able to effectively use the gun against missiles.
Bunk Moreland

Ahhh cool cool cool cool cool cool
Mathguy64
AG
JobSecurity said:

That's a subtle distinction to let them off the hook.

You fired at us versus you fired in the direction we happened to be sailing in.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

JobSecurity said:

Bingo. If this occurred yesterday (as some sources are saying) there is no way we can't know where they were going at this point. IMO there is no way we don't know where these were going at this point. The report is reading as these missiles were a danger to our assets or assets we were protecting and those missiles were dealt with.

I don't think the Pentagon will actually give a response right now if these were targetted at our ships right now. If they were, expect strikes in Yemen in the somewhat near future. If they weren't, well I'd still expect some strikes to occur. We probably won't know for sure for awhile if ever.
txags92
AG
Teslag said:

P.U.T.U said:

I'd tend to agree. I think some people don't see how much Russia is a threat to us and the means they will go to harm us.
Iran got something in exchange for all the drones and technical support they gave Russia in Ukraine. It wasn't just a cash transaction.
aezmvp
My suspicion is they may have been targeting something not in Israel. This is a wild ass guess based on the information that is public about Houti weapon ranges that are 100ish miles short of Israel.
txags92
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Mathguy64 said:

JobSecurity said:

Bingo. If this occurred yesterday (as some sources are saying) there is no way we can't know where they were going at this point. IMO there is no way we don't know where these were going at this point. The report is reading as these missiles were a danger to our assets or assets we were protecting and those missiles were dealt with.

I don't think the Pentagon will actually give a response right now if these were targetted at our ships right now. If they were, expect strikes in Yemen in the somewhat near future. If they weren't, well I'd still expect some strikes to occur. We probably won't know for sure for awhile if ever.
Given that Iran just got out from under sanctions on their ballistic missile programs and has been boasting about time running out for Israel, what are the chances these were intermediate range Iranian supplied BMs headed for Israel and the Carney was in the Red Sea shooting them down?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lol clowns:

https://apnews.com/article/palestinian-jordan-egypt-israel-refugee-502c06d004767d4b64848d878b66bd3d

Quote:

Why Egypt and other Arab countries are unwilling to take in Palestinian refugees from Gaza

As desperate Palestinians in sealed-off Gaza try to find refuge under Israel's relentless bombardment in retaliation for Hamas' brutal Oct. 7 attack, some ask why neighboring Egypt and Jordan don't take them in.

The two countries, which flank Israel on opposite sides and share borders with Gaza and the occupied West Bank, respectively, have replied with a staunch refusal. Jordan already has a large Palestinian population.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi made his toughest remarks yet on Wednesday, saying the current war was not just aimed at fighting Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, "but also an attempt to push the civilian inhabitants to ... migrate to Egypt." He warned this could wreck peace in the region.

Their refusal is rooted in fear that Israel wants to force a permanent expulsion of Palestinians into their countries and nullify Palestinian demands for statehood. El-Sissi also said a mass exodus would risk bringing militants into Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, from where they might launch attacks on Israel, endangering the two countries' 40-year-old peace treaty.

CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Given that Iran just got out from under sanctions on their ballistic missile programs and has been boasting about time running out for Israel, what are the chances these were intermediate range Iranian supplied BMs headed for Israel and the Carney was in the Red Sea shooting them down?
Valid theory, IMO.

Is Iran, by proxy, testing their own systems, and at the same time, poking defenses for weaknesses?
will25u
LMCane
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Valid theory, IMO.

Is Iran, by proxy, testing their own systems, and at the same time, poking defenses for weaknesses?
YES AND YES
P.U.T.U
AG
The Aegis BMD can track where a missile was fired from, the trajectory, time to target, speed, and a million other things in a fraction of a second so we know exactly where it was aimed for.
Mac94
AG
Just throwing this out there as FYI
TxSquarebody
P.U.T.U said:

The Aegis BMD can track where a missile was fired from, the trajectory, time to target, speed, and a million other things in a fraction of a second so we know exactly where it was aimed for.

And should respond by leveling a few square miles of the launch site. Now is NOT the time for restraint.
P.U.T.U
AG
Honestly if I were Iran I would be doing the same thing. If Israel gets attacked by Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Houthis around the same time I think they start looking at attacking Iran as a show of force and will.
JFABNRGR
AG
Sounds like some RFQ-9 pilots gonna be burning through some redbull and donuts.
aezmvp
JFABNRGR said:

Yeah just waiting for the reports of green on blue stuff. Again.
carl spacklers hat
FireAg said:

I've entertained a similar line of thinking. Putin urges his proxy Iran to stir some stuff up in the ME to distract the West from Ukraine and its military support in that campaign. Iran obliges and reaches out to Hamas to get something cooked up. Hamas goes 9/11 and voila, suddenly all attention, and military support, shifts to the ME. Would definitely help out Putin in his "special military operation" in the area.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
XXXVII
aezmvp said:

JFABNRGR said:

Yeah just waiting for the reports of green on blue stuff. Again.

What does green on blue mean?
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
aezmvp
Your "ally" is actually an enemy and attacks soldiers/contractors/civies in supposedly safe zones.

Happened on more than a couple of occasions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edit: Blue is your team, green is ally, red is hostile.
chilimuybueno
AG
I was thinking about the tunnel system dilemma for the IDF. Any way to get sufficient NG/methane to tunnel entrances and pump some down there? That gas would sink and move along the tunnel if adequately forced and then could be ignited. I believe there are NG pipelines/supply in that region.
will25u
Mac94
AG
Seeing a report of 2 American KIA in Syria
First Page Last Page
Page 168 of 281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.