Israel/Hamas going at it

1,669,211 Views | 9815 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Brother Shamus
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
will25u said:

But this is okay, because their rockets aren't nearly as accurate, so they can't be blamed for firing on civilian targets.
LMCane
3 senior terror officials reported killed in Gaza; number of Israeli hostages at 203

Hamas political official and a top commander slain in strikes; IDF says can't rule out possibility some terrorists still hiding in Israel; British PM in Israel to show support

By EMANUEL FABIAN, TOI STAFF and AGENCIES
Today, 12:35

Three senior officials in Gaza Strip terror groups were reported killed overnight Wednesday as Israel continued its intense bombing campaign of terror targets in the enclave amid its war with Hamas.

The Israel Defense Forces said an airstrike in the southern Gaza city of Rafah had killed Rafat Abu Hilal, the head of the military wing of Gaza's Popular Resistance Committees terror group, the third-largest terror faction in the Strip after Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.

Hamas-affiliated media in Gaza reported that Jamila al-Shanti, the widow of Hamas co-founder Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi, was also killed in an Israeli strike. Al-Shanti in 2021 became the first woman elected to the Hamas political bureau, its highest decision-making body.

Al-Shanti's death brings to four the number of members of Hamas's political bureau killed by Israel in strikes since the October 7 Hamas onslaught that started the war. Zakariya Abu Moammar, the head of the terror group's internal relations, and Jawad Abu Shamala, who managed the terror group's funds, were killed October 10. Osama Mazini, former head of Hamas's Shura Council and a Hamas education minister, was killed on October 16.

Also Thursday, Palestinian media outlets reported that the head of the Palestinian National Security Forces in the Gaza Strip was killed in an Israeli airstrike.

The reports said Jihad Muheisen was killed in a strike on the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of Gaza City.
samurai_science
Joes said:

samurai_science said:

Sims said:

will25u said:

Maybe IDF will take Alfred's advice on locating the Burmese jewel thief.
Burning Gaza to the ground is the only way to end this forever.
Not that I'm opposed to that, but even if it happened (which it won't) and Hamas was totally permanently destroyed it still seems like then Israel will have 99 mortal enemies nearby instead of 100. Nothing will end this forever unless all Israelis or all Muslims are dead. All they can realistically do is take this opportunity to do major damage to buy as much time as possible until the next inevitable attack.
Cant worry about that, if you can end one, you end one.
10andBOUNCE
AG
LMCane said:

Hamas-affiliated media in Gaza reported that Jamila al-Shanti, the widow of Hamas co-founder Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi, was also killed in an Israeli strike.
I have been struggling/confused with these death reports this whole time I have been following the war. Just as we learned with the hospital media issue, we can't trust a word that comes out of the Gaza/Hamas side. Is Israel and it's allies actually confirming these deaths on key officials and terrorists? I don't understand why Hamas would want this information to be available to the IDF.
The Fall Guy
AG
https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-and-israeli-embassies-hit-with-bomb-threats-in-buenos-aires/

Bomb threats in Argentina
The Fall Guy
AG
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/us-military-base-in-southern-syria-attacked-by-drones/

drone attack on US base in Syria. Minor injuries.
Harry Stone
AG
Whirligigs said:

JayHowdy! said:

Cliff.Booth said:

I've also been surprised they haven't gone in yet, but I think it is a reminder of their professionalism. It would have been very easy given what Hamas did to roll in quickly just to lay down some hate, but I am guessing their brass and intelligence people knew this type of campaign on the scale it will have to be will need study and preparation and can't be done haphazardly. I believe it starts pretty soon and the systematic nature of the work helps make sense of this two week build up.

By professionalism you mean diplomacy. They had to hit the brakes for Biden to make an appearance. I give Israel 24-48 Hrs to go in. The longer they wait, the more moral justification of the operation deteriorates. They must move now or the media takes over.

Media has already flipped. It only took a couple of weeks for people to start forgetting about hamas running around sawing babies heads off.
This was inevitable and predictable. Anti-Semitism is at an all time high.
Joes
10andBOUNCE said:

LMCane said:

Hamas-affiliated media in Gaza reported that Jamila al-Shanti, the widow of Hamas co-founder Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi, was also killed in an Israeli strike.
I have been struggling/confused with these death reports this whole time I have been following the war. Just as we learned with the hospital media issue, we can't trust a word that comes out of the Gaza/Hamas side. Is Israel and it's allies actually confirming these deaths on key officials and terrorists? I don't understand why Hamas would want this information to be available to the IDF.
Yeah, if I was Hamas-affiliated media I would have announced with the very first bomb strike that Israel got lucky and killed every important member in Hamas together and they can stop now, haha!
LMCane
10andBOUNCE said:

LMCane said:

that's a great point.

my guess is that the IDF is only disclosing who they whack after they have confirmed on their own that they are indeed room temperature.

clearly they have pretty good intel in certain respects about where to attack to take out different leaders

I don't think the IDF listens to anything Hamas says as they know it's all lies and misinformation.
LMCane
aTmAg said:

Agreed. They have to completely destroy Hamas. Any half measures will ensure that the likes of Hezbollah will join all the way in. While the destruction of Hamas will make Iran proxies think twice about suiciding themselves doing Iran's bidding.
certainly appears that Hizbullah is planning to join in regardless
Rossticus
Rossticus
JobSecurity
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Rossticus said:

Just how are they getting from Yemen to the fighting? They can't fly into Aleppo or Damascus. Those airports are boom. Beirut? That's going to get bombed if a Yemeni plane goes there. Jordan won't let them land. Egypt? Not a chance. Swim up the Red Sea and walk the Sinai? Go for it.
aezmvp
Rossticus said:

This indicates to me that Iran has decided to dedicate their proxies to this battle. I'd expect 10,000+ rockets firing into northern Israel in the next couple of days.

That also means many more attacks on US bases in the region. I'm guessing we'll see quite a few casualties coming up. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a number of terror attacks in the West on a scale quite larger than Brussels as well.
BQ78
AG
Para glide Hamas style.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I believe the Russians do have some bases in the area.
fullback44
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

and the leaders of Hamas are in Qatar
Since Hamas/Palestine is not a country, I believe it is time to insert Seal Team 6 into Qatar and quietly take these guys out.
The Israeli Mossad are most likely there already …. Those leaders will get to see 60 virgins soon
LMCane
12-year-old Harry Potter fan championed by J.K. Rowling found murdered by Hamas

Shared by Israel's X account, story of autistic girl and her grandmother helped world see massacres; pair originally thought captured by terror group in vicious Oct. 7 incursion
By TOI STAFF Today, 4:52 pm

The bodies of Noya Dan, a 12-year-old autistic Israeli girl, and her grandmother Carmela, 80 who were initially believed to have been held hostage by Hamas in Gaza have been found, the Kan public broadcaster reported on Thursday.

On Monday, while Noya's fate was still unknown, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling retweeted a post highlighting the child's uncertain situation that was initially posted by the State of Israel's official X account.

Rowling wrote, "For obvious reasons, this picture has hit home with me," the author says, adding that kidnapping children is "despicable and wholly unjustifiable," and expressing hope for the release of all captives in Gaza.

In the past 12 days, Noya's voice was broadcast on Israeli media when her mother, Galit, shared her daughter's final voice memos.

"Mom, there was a big boom at the door that scared me," Noya said in Hebrew. "All the windows in Grandma's house were broken at the entrance. Because there was another boom, there are many broken windows. Mommy… I'm scared," she said.

Mother Galit told the Kan public broadcaster this week that "just because she is autistic doesn't mean she doesn't understand. She understands everything."
LMCane
fullback44 said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

and the leaders of Hamas are in Qatar
Since Hamas/Palestine is not a country, I believe it is time to insert Seal Team 6 into Qatar and quietly take these guys out.
The Israeli Mossad are most likely there already …. Those leaders will get to see 60 virgins soon
72 virgins.

and I would think a missile strike from the Israeli Navy may be more likely

to avoid antagonizing the Qataris with having a human hit squad on their territory.
Joes
aezmvp said:

Rossticus said:

This indicates to me that Iran has decided to dedicate their proxies to this battle. I'd expect 10,000+ rockets firing into northern Israel in the next couple of days.

That also means many more attacks on US bases in the region. I'm guessing we'll see quite a few casualties coming up. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a number of terror attacks in the West on a scale quite larger than Brussels as well.
I realize how potentially serious the situation is and I'm following it closely but I still sort of think that it's not going to be the wide war that many around here do. But it's possible. All the Arab countries and militant groups always seem to talk 100 times more than they ever actually do anything.
CDUB98
AG
I simply do not see a way these Yemen yahoos can get into Gaza.
JobSecurity
AG
Rossticus
Yeah. These are already stored in Israel, so it makes sense. With ongoing increases to 155mm production, it's unlikely that this will have any impact on supplies for Ukraine unless things in the ME escalate to an unexpected degree.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I think Israel should be investing in some of the land-based Phalanx guns to take on both aerial and land short range threats that Iron Dome cannot. Had they had a few of these stationed around the kibbutz targets on 10/7, the terrorists would've have gotten very far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/ms-c-ram_lpws/
P.U.T.U
AG
Seems like most of the weapons we had stored in Israel that were supposed to or did get sent to Ukraine are heading back. They never should have left so the taxpayers foot the bill for millions for the weapons to essentially not go anywhere.

Sounds like another Iraq/Afghanistan is happening, Iran backing a bunch of jihadist being used as proxies to attack Israel and the west.

We fought in 3 countries but never attacked the countries mainly responsible for 9/11, Iran, Lebanon, and Yemen. The Shia vs Sunni divide is not what it once was in the 70s and 80s, its now largely about money.

At the end of Jack Carr's book The Devil's Hand there is an author's note about the history from 1950s to current day about the ME, pretty good 15-20 minute summary. Actually he discusses the Iran history throughout the book, a lot how the US backed Iran first in the Iran-Iraq war and then started backing Iraq. The US defense industry made a ton of money and it seems like that is what is at the core of the CIA's decisions, money.

Now with Biden asking for $100 billion, makes be weary of our true intentions. Defense stocks are booming right now
Rossticus
javajaws said:

JobSecurity said:

Putin: Mission accomplished!

Orrrr… maybe not…. Israel seems to feel that Russia has played a significant role in the Hamas attack. And they want payback.

jabberwalkie09
AG

Region related.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/politics/us-navy-intercept-missiles-yemen/index.html

Quote:

CNN
A US Navy warship operating in the Middle East intercepted multiple projectiles near the coast of Yemen on Thursday, two US officials told CNN.
One of the officials said the missiles were fired by Iranian-backed Houthi militants, who are engaged in an ongoing conflict in Yemen. Approximately 2-3 missiles were intercepted, according to the second official.
The officials said it was unclear what the missiles were targeting. It's possible the missiles were fired at the USS Carney or launched towards another target.
CDUB98
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Region related.
Yemen idiots were launching rockets to cross most of Saudi Arabia? Pretty sure the Saudi's won't like that very much.
FireAg
AG
My gut has told me that Russia worked with Iran to initiate the Hamas attacks, followed by Hezbollah (thus opening two fronts) to force arms shipments to be diverted away from Ukraine and toward Israel...
10andBOUNCE
AG
EDIT: posted a few above me
10andBOUNCE
AG
Seems like a pretty terrible idea, especially if intended for the US Navy
Houston Lee
AG
We are going to war IMO. Once IDF invades Gaza, our carrier groups will be drawn into action. All hell is about to break loose.
Rossticus
FireAg said:

My gut has told me that Russia worked with Iran to initiate the Hamas attacks, followed by Hezbollah (thus opening two fronts) to force arms shipments to be diverted away from Ukraine and toward Israel...

Then they may ultimately have miscalculated and be looking at a short term benefit that regresses into a long term liability for them. Further ramp up of US production capacity and an Israel who has a score to settle.

JobSecurity
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.