Debating if I should go full Karen on my son's school administration

10,101 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TRADUCTOR
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jason Ag said:

Club Name Suggestions

X-Force Coder Club

Club for Kids Who Can't Code Good

Teenage Mutant Ninja Coder Club

Coder Club

Y-chromosome Coding Illuminati Club
AggieKeith15
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Have him start a new club. Boys who code and don't let girls in.

He should definitely start his own group, and depending how he wants to use it for college applications I would determine the name accordingly.

No craps how colleges perceive it but wants to join political groups in college or do his own thing: "Advanced Programmimg Club for Conservatives and Libertarians"

Wants to increase his chances with a high ranked school that is filled with progressive ideology: "Advanced Programming & AI for Environmentalists"

The important thing is he will need to state that he was president and founder of said club. Also, try to create a portfolio and save projects to a personal web page to show his abilities/accomplishments.
rausr
AG
AggieDruggist89
AG
Harry Stone said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

make sure it is a biologically born boys club.
I don't understand your statement.

How else would a boy be born? Lab grown?
The Fife
Have him start his own club.

The Tanya93's Kid Club for Kids Who Can't Code Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too
Rebel Yell
AG
1. Start a coding club for boys.
2. Put on college application that he started an inclusive club once he found out black boys could not join the existing club.
3. Profit
richardag
Mary Bailey said:

I'd be upset, too.

Have him start a new coding club that accepts both genders. Good resume builder. This assumes they'll let him and he can get a sponsor.
Agreed.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Viper16
AG
maxag42 said:

Just tell him to identify as a girl. They don't still let your kid in? Sue for discrimination. Profit!!
#FJB

Trump 2024

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis
American Hardwood
AG
I think too many people have fallen into the trap of saying exclusivity is bad in the sense that there is no longer any freedom of association.

I see no problem with there being an all-girls coding club as long as they aren't promulgating divisive political subject matter or turn it into some kind of platform for bigotry. Let the girls hang out together and share a common interest if they want, throw a boy into the mix and it changes the dynamic. I hate what has been done to the Boy Scouts for instance. Yes, I realize where this idea can lead, but there has to be some levelheadedness regarding exclusionary grouping. People want to hang out with people like themselves in some way or another. It's natural.
The Fife
The problem in this case, is that they took an everyone club and decided to exclude all the boys without providing any sort of an alternate.

That's unacceptable.
American Hardwood
AG
They probably could have been more tactful in the method, but I still don't have a problem with the results. The girls can have a club and the boys can have a club.
fc2112
Your school district got lazy.

Girls Who Code is a national organization with canned development programs. It's not bad, but it's just OK and a bit rote. It's mostly designed to get girls interested in coding. I think Benny would be bored.

The Fortune 50 technology company I work for has a coding challenge every year. The Girls Who Code teams get their asses kicked by the teams from the D/FW suburbs with the sons of all the guys who work for us, TI, Raytheon and the lot.

Look somewhere else.
one safe place
Start a boys coding club and then invite the girls to make them sandwiches and snacks so the boys have something to eat during their meetings.
The Fife
Where's the coding club boys can join at the school? Unless I missed something it sounds like it's gone.
No Spin Ag
Tanya 93 said:

If what he told me is true.

His HS has had a coding club for years.
He was going to join it after looking thru what clubs the school has.

It has been renamed "Girls Who Code" and while they technically are open to anyone who wants to join, boys have been told "no. This is a space for girls who want to study STEM."

There is no other coding club.

Boo Faced Demon Spawn doesn't want me to do or say anything because he says he already knows more than anyone in the club.

I told him he may, but what about other boys who aren't as lucky as he is?

I have emailed the sponsor of Girls Who Code to see if this is all true. If it is true, just no.

My son deserves his other nerd club. He couldn't have a Boys Who Code club.

Sexism is always wrong.

It's got to be quite the dilemma; because on one hand you want to go against your son's wishes, which I'm sure you really want to honor, and on the other hand you want to try and make the school have something (going Karen) because you feel they should because you feel your son, and other boys, should have access to the same things, which I agree that they should.

I don't know what the answer is, but seeing as how you've raised your Demon Spawn so far, I'm sure you'll make the best one possible.

Good luck with whatever your choose. I know we'll all look forward to hearing how it goes.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Athanasius
AG
New Club, call it:

coding(X,Y)

done!
Mary Bailey
American Hardwood said:

They probably could have been more tactful in the method, but I still don't have a problem with the results. The girls can have a club and the boys can have a club.
Did you read the OP?
Rebel Yell
AG
Call it: '

'Y Code'
Who?mikejones!
Merit coding club?
BMX Bandit
AggieDruggist89 said:

That would likely get him on the national news as a misogynist, and be the end of his life. Literally Hitler.
Bob Lee
AG
American Hardwood said:

I think too many people have fallen into the trap of saying exclusivity is bad in the sense that there is no longer any freedom of association.

I see no problem with there being an all-girls coding club as long as they aren't promulgating divisive political subject matter or turn it into some kind of platform for bigotry. Let the girls hang out together and share a common interest if they want, throw a boy into the mix and it changes the dynamic. I hate what has been done to the Boy Scouts for instance. Yes, I realize where this idea can lead, but there has to be some levelheadedness regarding exclusionary grouping. People want to hang out with people like themselves in some way or another. It's natural.

This was basically my reaction to this. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a club that's only for girls. I'm more concerned with everyone's instincts to find an injustice where there isn't one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Definitely take this up with the district, but in all likelihood, your son will be bored by being in this iteration of the club. I'd agree that he should start a club, provided the district will allow it, for anyone that wants a more challenging environment.

I'm a software engineer with 30 years of experience. I've worked with plenty of women who were excellent at what they did, but the number of women is massively dwarfed by the number of men. It's generally speaking just not an interest for most girls. I understand the desire to get more girls interested in software engineering, but at the end of the day most just are not interested in it. And where I will differ with liberals - this is not a bad thing. There are plenty of things out there that do interest more girls.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Speaking as someone who was a high school boy, the last thing he probably wants is his mom fighting a battle for him. Your mom ends up getting the club changed at school and it gets around, it can be embarrassing.

As other posters mentioned, this seems like a chance for him to do something different if he's really interested in the subject. Start your own club, make sure everyone is welcome, and then maybe even have it go beyond coding to other technology and/or science based topics. Great confidence, self-reliance, practical knowledge and resume booster.

And if he could get a sponsor to start his club, and you live near a college or tech town, maybe start a dialogue and request professionals, professors/lecturers or students come in as guest speakers or section leaders on whatever basis that's realistic.

Seems like this could be turned into an opportunity.
torrid
AG
Seems the best option is to start his own coding club, not just for boys but for everyone. Make it so much better than the girls' club that everyone will leave the girls' one to join the open club.

Just like scouting.
CheeseSndwch
DannyDuberstein said:

Pimps Who Code

Gotta keep that code hand strong.
BMX Bandit
torrid said:

Seems the best option is to start his own coding club, not just for boys but for everyone. Make it so much better than the girls' club that everyone will leave the girls' one to join the open club.

Just like scouting.

But hopefully with not all of the molesting
Tanya 93
American Hardwood said:

Boys don't have a club.

Joining E-sports club is not coding.

dallasiteinsa02
Send the complaint that it is a coding club for boys only and your girl would like to join but they will not let her. When they figure it out, I really want to see how they respond.
Credible Source
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Name "actual coders" since we all know girls are not as smart
Who?mikejones!
I remember in high school being part of an all male "key club." The girls had an all girl version of which I cannot recall the name.

My senior year the forced us to accept girls, but kept the all girl version. All the guys quit.

This was circa 2002
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Call it the 'He-Man Womun Haters Club'
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
mm98
AG
Have him resurrect No Ma'am. Shirts are already available

DargelSkout
AG
Marginalized Coders Club
AggieDruggist89
AG
mm98 said:

Have him resurrect No Ma'am. Shirts are already available

National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

I'd join
scoop12
AG
Are they sponsored by the Girls Who Code organization or did they just choose the same name?

Girlswhocode.com
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.