Debating if I should go full Karen on my son's school administration

10,106 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TRADUCTOR
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Burdizzo said:

Tanya 93 said:

If what he told me is true.

His HS has had a coding club for years.
He was going to join it after looking thru what clubs the school has.

It has been renamed "Girls Who Code" and while they technically are open to anyone who wants to join, boys have been told "no. This is a space for girls who want to study STEM."

There is no other coding club.

Boo Faced Demon Spawn doesn't want me to do or say anything because he says he already knows more than anyone in the club.

I told him he may, but what about other boys who aren't as lucky as he is?

I have emailed the sponsor of Girls Who Code to see if this is all true. If it is true, just no.

My son deserves his other nerd club. He couldn't have a Boys Who Code club.

Sexism is always wrong.

Insurance companies get away with it legally.
How so?
Credible Source
AG
Higher rates for men
txags92
AG
Start an "Inclusive Coding Club" to make it clear that there is one that is inclusive and one that is not. Being accused of not being inclusive is a cardinal sin to lefties these days. Or stoke the competitive fires and start that Advanced Coding Club.
American Hardwood
AG
Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

They probably could have been more tactful in the method, but I still don't have a problem with the results. The girls can have a club and the boys can have a club.
Did you read the OP?
I did, but I missed the one line where it said he couldn't have a boys club. I would like Tanya to elaborate a bit more on this. Did they ask to start a boys coding club and were told no? That is very different than there just not being one. I mean my experience has been that forming a club is usually a simple thing. If they were denied this option, then there is definitely a problem.
IslanderAg04
Git (pun for fellow coders) him a code academy account and flip the school the bird.
Ghost91
Token "Congrats on the sex trophy" reply.

I mean, there's no way I'm reading 3 pages of this, but I bet no one has played this one yet.
cadetjay02
AG
I am a high school teacher and sponsor many of these clubs, don't worry about it. This club likely doesn't actually do anything and was created by some kids to put on their college resume. You could complain to the admin and they'll likely accommodate you and your kid will still not get any value out of the club.
torrid
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I am a high school teacher and sponsor many of these clubs, don't worry about it. This club likely doesn't actually do anything and was created by some kids to put on their college resume. You could complain to the admin and they'll likely accommodate you and your kid will still not get any value out of the club.
Sounds like honor society. I did my damnedest to get kicked out but couldn't.
agdoc2001
AG
What a terrible time to be raising young boys. Beset on all sides by messaging that they are not wanted, inferior to girls, and the root of all problems.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Credible Source
AG
The ones with good Dads are doing great.
CSTXAg92
AG
Tanya 93 said:

If what he told me is true.

His HS has had a coding club for years.
He was going to join it after looking thru what clubs the school has.

It has been renamed "Girls Who Code" and while they technically are open to anyone who wants to join, boys have been told "no. This is a space for girls who want to study STEM."

There is no other coding club.

Boo Faced Demon Spawn doesn't want me to do or say anything because he says he already knows more than anyone in the club.

I told him he may, but what about other boys who aren't as lucky as he is?

I have emailed the sponsor of Girls Who Code to see if this is all true. If it is true, just no.

My son deserves his other nerd club. He couldn't have a Boys Who Code club.

Sexism is always wrong.
Please make sure you post the video of you ripping off your shirt and pec flexing to the admin you're talking to when they are obstinate to your request.

But seriously, yes. Sexism is wrong. Good job.
tk111
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

STEM = Code?
Sounds really odd.

In the education space, literally anything that isn't hairdressing or shoveling coal is STEM now. STEM is just another buzzword (buzzacronym?) for pushing discriminatory agendas
TRADUCTOR
Back off, drop it, waste of time. Advise your son to join theater club instead of joining dork club and removing all doubt who is a dork... Independent study is advised.

Theater club... it's the chicks, man.
UTExan
Has the school not heard of Title IX?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Brutal Puffin
AG
aggie93 said:

...The simple reality is that men are more interested in Engineering and coding on a scale of about 75/25. Take out the Asian females and it is really small...
Blue star for you. Been this way for many years now. Im getting old so it will not have as much impact on me, but for those of you following the lack of engineering skills in this country will bite hard. For everybody.
zooguy96
AG
Yes, go full Tanya on them.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
American Hardwood
AG
If I was a single chick, I'd get an admin job at an engineering firm.
akm91
AG
Credible Source said:

Higher rates for men

So you're saying statistics is sexist?
BBRex
AG
Jason Ag said:

Club Name Suggestions

X-Force Coder Club

Club for Kids Who Can't Code Good

Teenage Mutant Ninja Coder Club

Coder Club

Kids Interested in Coding Knowledge and Associated Skill Sets Club
Credible Source
AG
It is to liberals
Faustus
rbs03Ag said:

If he's as good as you say, have him hack the group account and change it to Girls Can't Code.
It might even spawn a meet-cute.

IIIHorn

Remind them that coding is binary by definition.

Mary Bailey
American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

They probably could have been more tactful in the method, but I still don't have a problem with the results. The girls can have a club and the boys can have a club.
Did you read the OP?
I did, but I missed the one line where it said he couldn't have a boys club. I would like Tanya to elaborate a bit more on this. Did they ask to start a boys coding club and were told no? That is very different than there just not being one. I mean my experience has been that forming a club is usually a simple thing. If they were denied this option, then there is definitely a problem.
Did you miss the part where they changed the existing club to exclude boys? Now imagine they did that to girls, or Muslims or black people.
Bob Lee
AG
Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Did you read the OP?
Did you miss the part where they changed the existing club to exclude boys? Now imagine they did that to girls, or Muslims or black people.

I don't believe that part of the story. Like someone else has mentioned, the club she's referencing is a national organization that works with school districts to provide their curriculum and resources to girls with an interest in computer science. You can look up their website.

There are red flags in the OP that make me suspect this is attention seeking behavior, and considering the source it makes a lot of sense.
ttu_85
rausr said:

Ghey. You can make your point but what normal guy doesn't want real OEM woman around? Especially at that age. Call it Normal People for coding. That will piss off all the lefties.

HumpitPuryear
AG
I would post a rant to school FB page suggesting that this is all because girls can't code nearly as well as boys thus the girls needed their little coding safe space. Because I think the replies would be fun to read.
Tanya 93
American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Did you read the OP?

The sponsor doesn't have the time for two clubs and since these girls approached him about having this as a club, he thought there was more interest from girls than the boys who just thought they would join.

Hopefully one of the other tech teachers can sponsor the all types club.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Call it

Curzons coders club. CCC No Jadzias or Ezris
Tanya 93
Arrakis ecologist said:

Call it

Curzons coders club. CCC No Jadzias or Ezris

So awesome
Mary Bailey
Bob Lee said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Did you read the OP?

I don't believe that part of the story. Like someone else has mentioned, the club she's referencing is a national organization that works with school districts to provide their curriculum and resources to girls with an interest in computer science. You can look up their website.

There are red flags in the OP that make me suspect this is attention seeking behavior, and considering the source it makes a lot of sense.
Not wading into that. Just going off of what was posted.
OnlyForNow
AG
Possession of a ***** required coding club.

Possession of a dick required coding club. (Like this is better TA)
GigEmTx
BurnetAggie99 said:

Have a conversation with the superintendent. Pending how that goes or not worst case you can always file a complaint with TEC on the school, the teacher leading the club & superintendent.
That's the correct approach. The administration will most likely never risk a public complaint of sexism. This is some teacher having her way - or his way. Either way, it's wrong.
aggie93
AG
Tanya 93 said:

American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Did you read the OP?

The sponsor doesn't have the time for two clubs and since these girls approached him about having this as a club, he thought there was more interest from girls than the boys who just thought they would join.

Hopefully one of the other tech teachers can sponsor the all types club.
It's ridiculous to have a Girls club and not an all types club and go in that order, that's certainly the most valid argument.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
TRADUCTOR
Bob Lee said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Mary Bailey said:

American Hardwood said:

Did you read the OP?

Go get your booster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.