All those 54+ aged folks who retired

7,985 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Rattler12
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To the libs who claim that the reason the labor participation rate is so low, lowest since the early 70s, is because boomers have retired.

Yeah, they retired to the street!

"Baby boomers, who transformed society in so many ways, are now having a dramatic effect on homelessness.

The humanitarian problem is becoming a public-policy crisis, paid for by taxpayers."

"The fact that we are seeing elderly homelessness is something that we have not seen since the Great Depression," said Dennis Culhane, a University of Pennsylvania social policy professor and researcher with expertise in homelessness and housing issues."

https://wsj-article-webview-generator-prod.sc.onservo.com/webview/WP-WSJ-0001142583?adobe_mc=TS%3D1694534332%7CMCMID%3D13117799474064425434933645003074028917%7CMCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg&wsj_native_webview=android&ace_environment=androidphone%2Cwebview&ace_config=%7B%22wsj%22%3A%7B%22djcmp%22%3A%7B%22propertyHref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwsj.android.app%22%7D%7D%7D

Also, cue the " boomers suck and they deserve it!"
Waffledynamics
AG
Imagine being the biggest beneficiaries of generational theft in history and still having homelessness problem.
MouthBQ98
AG
Inflation makes living off welfare and social security extremely difficult for anyone who did not plan ahead.
It Aint Easy Being Brown
Wait

It's the boomers fault that gen z voted for Biden?

How exactly does that math work
Logos Stick
Waffledynamics said:

Imagine being the biggest beneficiaries of generational theft in history and still having homelessness problem.

Boomers suck in the first response. Nice!

This thread is about the lies from the left on the labor participation rate.
DallasAg 94
Sid Farkas
AG
My take as a working, late-late-Boomer, past 54 y/o...

Early Boomers tend to have the same habits as the Greatest Generation...thrift, deferred pleasure, stable families, home ownership...something happened in the late-60's that turned it all upside down: consumerism, narcissism, naive progressivism...

we got rich, but wasted our wealth on ****, instead of planning for the future. I'll bet most of the homeless boomers once lived beyond their means, and are now paying the price.

use them as an example of how not to live.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
If only they knew when they were 18 that they would have to retire someday.
Rocky Rider
AG
The majority of people of retirement age have lived their entire life w/o a plan for retirement. The median net wealth of individuals over the age of 60 is shockingly low. Most of them could have been prepared but could not control their spending / saving. I don't feel sorry for them.
Sid Farkas
AG
yes. I feel sad, but not sorry. I know some of them.
UTExan
Waffledynamics said:

Or conversely, the generation that built huge fortunes and personal wealth will largely die off in the next 20 years leaving those fortunes to their complaining children and grandchildren who will likely waste it on frivolous nonsense.
It's the way of the world.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Cromagnum
AG
It Aint Easy Being Brown said:

Wait

It's the boomers fault that bat gen z voted for Biden?

How exactly does that math work

It's Gen Z. They don't understand basic math. (Neither do any liberals)
Sid Farkas
AG
UTExan said:

Waffledynamics said:

Or conversely, the generation that built huge fortunes and personal wealth will largely die off in the next 20 years leaving those fortunes to their complaining children and grandchildren who will likely waste it on frivolous nonsense.
It's the way of the world.
Interesting. I bet there'll be a run on Tide pods (as snacks) and video game consoles. Invest now!
Owlagdad
I know plenty boomers still working! Not Walmart Retirement jobs, but white collar jobs- still going in their mid seventies.
93MarineHorn
Homelessness has very little to do with savings or the economy. Vast majority of the people on the street are there because of drug addiction and/or mental health problems. There would be far fewer of them if laws were enforced and they didn't have the street as an option. Many would seek the help they need instead of begging and stealing to feed their drug habit. But libs won't do that out of "compassion".
doubledog
Logos Stick said:

Waffledynamics said:

This "article"(?) and opinions? was written on a PC/Laptop, invented by boomers, or viewed on cell phones, also invented by boomers.... You are welcome.
geoag58
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Should the person who incessantly defends and absolutely loves a war that was started over one grift and has morphed into another grift really be talking about generational theft?
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Urban Ag
AG
Gen X checking in

No change. We just want to be left alone.

Thanks

LMCane
MouthBQ98 said:

Inflation makes living off welfare and social security extremely difficult for anyone who did not plan ahead.
THIS

and it is going to get worse and worse every year

as the people in their 40s and 50s have very little savings for retirement.

once social security goes bankrupt (more likely they will raise the age to 70 to get benefits) then what happens to those who were counting on social security at age 65?!
Rattler12
Rocky Rider said:

The majority of people of retirement age have lived their entire life w/o a plan for retirement. The median net wealth of individuals over the age of 60 is shockingly low. Most of them could have been prepared but could not control their spending / saving. I don't feel sorry for them.
Yeah buying new cars for their kids when they turned 16 and got a drivers license because said kids whined for them shouldn't have happened......and buying a 4 bedroom 4 bath house because each of their three kids whined about not having their own bedroom and bath should have been told suck it up and bunk up. Elaborate birthday and Christmas celebrations and gifts to the whiny kids should have never happened. Biggest mistake a lot of boomers made apparently was having kids that are whiners.........and then those kids doubled down and had a bunch of whiners of their own and followed the same paths their grandparents and parents took and are now whining about it on social media......
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Nah man... rely on the Government... they have your best interest at heart.
Everyone who loves government raise your hand!
93MarineHorn
The generational smack talk on this board is just silly. Do you guys not have grandparents, parents, kids...?
Rocky Rider
AG
Rattler12 said:

Rocky Rider said:

Yeah buying new cars for their kids when they turned 16 and got a drivers license because said kids whined for them shouldn't have happened......and buying a 4 bedroom 4 bath house because each of their three kids whined about not having their own bedroom and bath should have been told suck it up and bunk up. Elaborate birthday and Christmas celebrations and gifts to the whiny kids should have never happened. Biggest mistake a lot of boomers made apparently was having kids that are whiners.........and then those kids doubled down and had a bunch of whiners of their own and followed the same paths their grandparents and parents took and are now whining about it on social media......
And now the boomers which made the bad decisions get to reap what they sowed. Even if their kids were a bunch of whiners, they were kids and should not have the responsibility of making up for their parents financial indulgence.

Everyone else can learn from the boomer generation. Keep your pride and ego in check.
YouBet
AG
I don't think people realize how bad this is going to get. Almost no one saves any money. 50% of the population literally has $0 in savings. The ones that do save have enough (on average) to last about 1 year.

Combine with us living longer and you are going to have homelessness and long-term healthcare needs causing massive strains to the public coffers. It will be the next big welfare play.
Rattler12
Rocky Rider said:

Rattler12 said:

Rocky Rider said:

And now the boomers which made the bad decisions get to reap what they sowed. Even if their kids were a bunch of whiners, they were kids and should not have the responsibility of making up for their parents financial indulgence.

Everyone else can learn from the boomer generation. Keep your pride and ego in check.
Well that sailed right over your head .........
Waffledynamics
AG
geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Should the person who incessantly defends and absolutely loves a war that was started over one grift and has morphed into another grift really be talking about generational theft?

I don't care about your opinions on that other topic, but I want to point out the utter hilarity of someone complaining about a rounding error in our budget while ridiculing my commentary about literal trillions of entitlement spending.
DrEvazanPhD
doubledog said:

Logos Stick said:

Waffledynamics said:

This "article"(?) and opinions? was written on a PC/Laptop, invented by boomers, or viewed on cell phones, also invented by boomers.... Your welcome.
which generation invented spell check?
Urban Ag
AG
93MarineHorn said:

The generational smack talk on this board is just silly. Do you guys not have grandparents, parents, kids...?
Agreed.

If it helps, it's kind of an Aggie thing.

Everything has been going to hell since 1876.
The Kraken
AG
54+? The youngest Boomers, those born in 1964, are turning 59 this year. Though I'm sure the trend won't stop with them.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Urban Ag
AG
93MarineHorn said:

To answer your question seriously though.....

My grandparents were in The Greatest Generation.

My parents are in the Silent Generation, both being born in 1944.

Dad's little sisters are all Boomers.

My brothers and I and are wives are Gen X.

I have some younger cousins that are Y's.

My sons are Gen Z.

Personally, I think we all compliment each other in different ways and that each generation has their strengths and particular personality, which I find fascinating to be honest.

I'm bullish on Gen Z. Yes I am biased. But I see a lot of good stuff in my sons and many of the teens they associate with. IMO, a more sophisticated Gen X.

geoag58
AG
Waffledynamics said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

I don't care about your opinions on that other topic, but I want to point out the utter hilarity of someone complaining about a rounding error in our budget while ridiculing my commentary about literal trillions of entitlement spending.

If you think we have reached the high water mark in Ukrainian war spending, money and lives, you are sadly mistaken.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
pfo
AG
Generational bickering is completely misplaced anger. The dollar has lost 96% of its value in the last 100 years because the federal government spends and borrows way way too much money. And those politicians have been doing it from the greatest generation all the way through the youngest. That's where the anger should be focused.
EclipseAg
AG
Affordable housing is, at its heart, an immigration issue.

Year after year, we allow a million-plus legal -- and probably twice that number of illegal -- immigrants to come here, without any regard for the strain and pressure those numbers put on housing availability and pricing.

Especially considering that so many areas of the country have strict building codes that make new housing difficult and costly.

Young people and old people hit hardest.
Waffledynamics
AG
geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

If you think we have reached the high water mark in Ukrainian war spending, money and lives, you are sadly mistaken.

It's not going to get anywhere near entitlement spending, which the boomers have done nothing but balloon. This thread is not to argue about Ukraine, though.

The amount of benefits afforded to the Baby Boomer generation is ludicrous. There should be no excuse for homelessness, mental health issues notwithstanding. Do you think my generation (millennials) will get to benefit the same way the Boomers did and have? I seriously doubt it.

I have sympathy for individuals in dire straits. I don't have sympathy for a generation that robbed the future over and over and over and over again.
Rattler12
Waffledynamics said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

It's not going to get anywhere near entitlement spending, which the boomers have done nothing but balloon. This thread is not to argue about Ukraine, though.

The amount of benefits afforded to the Baby Boomer generation is ludicrous. There should be no excuse for homelessness, mental health issues notwithstanding. Do you think my generation (millennials) will get to benefit the same way the Boomers did and have? I seriously doubt it.

I have sympathy for individuals in dire straits. I don't have sympathy for a generation that robbed the future over and over and over and over again.
Using the word over one more time would have made your statement much more forceful. .......
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.