All those 54+ aged folks who retired

7,940 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Rattler12
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Urban Ag said:

Obligatory

The GenX laissez faire cultural nonchalance primed our nation for leftist cultural subversion. It's fitting to represent them as indulging, smirking, and sitting idle.
Interesting take since we vote Republican more than any of the other named generations, except what's left of the Silent Generation (not much).

Smirking? Guilty as charged.
Indulging? No more so than Boomers or Y (difference is we can afford to).

Sitting idle? That's a swing and miss kiddo. Unlike the Boomers and Y, we just didn't want to change the world. It is cultural. X wanted families, the American Dream, and to be left the F alone, and for the most part we did just that. If that makes us smug, ok.

/stirs second Martini

joekm3
AG
In my a opinion, 3 fundamental initiatives in my lifetime changed the country for the worse and have impacted all generations: LBJ's Great Society, Ted Kennedy's Immigration Reform of 1965, and Clinton/Cisneros Community Reinvestment initiative in 95. Added to this is corruption on both sides of the aisle where elected officials become rich off the backs of working Americans. The elite prefer a divided country with most citizens struggling. They prefer the collapse of the nuclear family. They want cheap labor indebted to them and don't give a damn about the consequences. Endless wars are profitable. The bickering on this thread plays right into their hands.
BoydCrowder13
Wish boomers would have managed their money better. Annual GDP growth between 1984 and 2007 was 3%+ for 17/23 years. 7 years of 4%+.

We've seen 2 years of 4% GDP growth since 2007. Both (2010 and 2021) were only because the year prior was so bad.

S&P 500 up 600% between 84 and 07.

Boomers had crazy tailwinds.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Oh, yeah! the 70's and early '80's (Boomers coming of age) were absolute cake walk with stagflation and interest rates in the double digits. Super easy to get a sweet job and starter home.
Ferg
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Oh, yeah! the 70's and early '80's (Boomers coming of age) were absolute cake walk with stagflation and interest rates in the double digits. Super easy to get a sweet job and starter home.
I bought my first new car in 82, had no credit history, didn't belong to a credit union....yet, and didn't want my folks co signing, interest rate was 18%.
Velvet Jones
AG
I'm amused that anyone over the age of 30 is a Boomer.

Came of age in the 80's? I was at A&M in the 80's, and I'm not a Boomer. My now deceased parents were however.

Thanks.
BoydCrowder13
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Rough early period I'll give you that. Even between 1970-1983, GDP growth was 3%+ 7 years.

The average boomer birth year was 1955. That would mean their prime earning years were the late 80s to early 2000s. Zero reason for boomers not to be well off.
93MarineHorn
Boomer is considered someone born between '45 & '65, correct?
Logos Stick
BoydCrowder13 said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Rough early period I'll give you that. Even between 1970-1983, GDP growth was 3%+ 7 years.

The average boomer birth year was 1955. That would mean their prime earning years were the late 80s to early 2000s. Zero reason for boomers not to be well off.

Except they spent their retirement paying for their childrens college.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Two big recessions during that period and one shortly after. No generation has had an easy go of it.
Velvet Jones
AG
I believe '46 to '64.

The Boomers are mostly dead.
Logos Stick
Velvet Jones said:

I believe '46 to '64.

The average life expectancy is 78.

Boomers are very much alive.
BoydCrowder13
Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Except they spent their retirement paying for their childrens college.

Most boomers were paying for their children's college in the early 2000s. Average tuition + room and board was $12k at a public university (inflation adjusted). Tuition has increased by 5.1%/year since 2000.

College costs have doubled since then. You had it easy.
Velvet Jones
AG
So many people who never took statistics using the term "Average."

sleepybeagle
AG
93MarineHorn said:

It originally was 45 to 61. Who ever "they" are... well they tagged on 62-65 years later.

I think the 45 to 61 is a better range. People born in the early, mid and late 60's have little in common with their older brothers and sister born in the late 40s and 50s. But clearly I'm not apart of the "They" who decides such things.
Logos Stick
Velvet Jones said:

So many people who never took statistics using the term "Average."

The boomers are not dead. Nowhere near it. The age range is 59-79. Average life expectancy is 78. It's called statistics and sense.

Your post is stupid.

Eta, 70 million are alive.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
sleepybeagle said:

93MarineHorn said:

It originally was 45 to 61. Who ever "they" are... well they tagged on 62-65 years later.

I think the 45 to 61 is a better range. People born in the early, mid and late 60's have little in common with their older brothers and sister born in the late 40s and 50s. But clearly I'm not apart of the "They" who decides such things.
My wife, born in 1964, has very little in common with her older sisters born in the mid-1950s to 1961.
NE PA Ag
sleepybeagle said:

93MarineHorn said:

The 'Baby Boomer' generation is the only one formally defined by the US census bureau. It's defined as those born from 1946 to 1964.

So I am technically Boomer, born in late 1964, and I defintely have little in common with my older brother, born in 1954 and much more with someone born in 1974.

Also, the oldest boomers that attended college at some point in the 80s, taking between 4 and 5 years until graduation, were born in 1958. Boomers born in the early 60s were right in the zone of attending college in the 80s.
EclipseAg
AG
I've heard some folks refer to later Boomers -- born between say, 1954 and 1965 or so -- as "Generation Jones," as in "keeping up with the Joneses."

They were too young to be hippies or really understand much of what that generation was all about. And they came of age during a time when preppy clothes and yuppie indulgences were everywhere in media and society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones
pfo
AG
Adverse Event said:

The boomers aren't at fault for the game theory presented for success by their elders and betters. They followed the trends, listened to trusted sources in the media and politics and followed directions.

The problem is that the messaging was wrong. Not only that but the data presented, like inflation, caused false perceptions of present day and future results.

They witnessed some of the most addicting media behaviors ever invented, and have been studied relentlessly from every angle and every business school focused on "how do we continue to extract wealth from this generation," for decades.

Their loyalty to brands and personalities has unfortunately been their undoing. Those brands and personalities never had the boomers best intentions at heart, only the acquisition of as much wealth as feasible from said consumers.

I feel for this generation. Most will never meet a criteria for complete retirement, as inflation is approaching 10%+ if you don't listen to government statistics. They've been lied to their whole lives, unwittingly.

And the worst part?

Most of the boomers are going to die in some nursing home, alone, without family nearby as we've completely disassociate ourselves from caring for our elders preferring to send them to strangers instead of obligating ourselves of the burdens of death of our parents and grandparents. The experiences and heritages will disappear and not get passed along to the next generations.

I hate it.

Your post contains great wisdom. BRAVO!

I'm an old and achieved much success. But unknown to me for most of my life was the fact our most important achievement was raising our 4 children and 9 grandchildren and teaching them how to love, worship God, love one another and be unselfish. Frankly, our efforts have given us possibly even more joy than it gave them. Love is the most powerful of all things.

Adverse Event
Respekt!

Now we just gotta get you some sats and we'll be aligned completely my brother in christ.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Don't save for 40 years and then blame the government.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Adverse Event said:

Respekt!

Now we just gotta get you some sats and we'll be aligned completely my brother in christ.

Damn, you will say anything to try get more people gambling on Bitcoin…which is nearly as bad an idea as having no retirement plan.
Velvet Jones
AG
NE PA Ag said:

sleepybeagle said:

93MarineHorn said:

The 'Baby Boomer' generation is the only one formally defined by the US census bureau. It's defined as those born from 1946 to 1964.

So I am technically Boomer, born in late 1964, and I defintely have little in common with my older brother, born in 1954 and much more with someone born in 1974.

Also, the oldest boomers that attended college at some point in the 80s, taking between 4 and 5 years until graduation, were born in 1958. Boomers born in the early 60s were right in the zone of attending college in the 80s.
Respectfully, everyone within that age group is completely homogenous. Also, the sample size is divided evenly amongst those 8-10 years with no deviation from the mean. Or average if you don't know what you're talking about like some other person on this thread.

Finally, The classes of '90 through '94 would like a word. I'd add '89 but nobody likes them, and really '91-'94 should sit down and shut up too. They're the annoying miniature schnauzers of the world.

Adverse Event
Pumpkinhead said:

Adverse Event said:

Respekt!

Damn, you will say anything to try get more people gambling on Bitcoin…which is nearly as bad an idea as having no retirement plan.

The only outliers not holding bitcoin (on zero) are the midtwits.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
jja79
AG
Velvet Jones said:

I believe '46 to '64.

You should get out more.
TAMU1990
AG
LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Inflation makes living off welfare and social security extremely difficult for anyone who did not plan ahead.
THIS

and it is going to get worse and worse every year

as the people in their 40s and 50s have very little savings for retirement.

once social security goes bankrupt (more likely they will raise the age to 70 to get benefits) then what happens to those who were counting on social security at age 65?!
They will be waiting until 70
TAMU1990
AG
EclipseAg said:

Affordable housing is, at its heart, an immigration issue.

Year after year, we allow a million-plus legal -- and probably twice that number of illegal -- immigrants to come here, without any regard for the strain and pressure those numbers put on housing availability and pricing.

Especially considering that so many areas of the country have strict building codes that make new housing difficult and costly.

Young people and old people hit hardest.
Finally someone mentions the truth. Maybe republicans should point that out more in minority and working class neighborhoods.
AgEngineer72
AG
My wife and I are boomers. I was born in 1950 and grew up with very little but at least we had a home, indoor plumbing, and food on the table. My wife was born in 1948 and grew up in NE Texas in total poverty- no indoor plumbing, no new clothes, grew their own food. You know- we had that white privilege thing going on. I put myself through TAMU, married her and we raised 3 kids and the first grandkid. We busted our tails, scrimped and saved, didn't have any big luxury Items, and only took 1 vacation in all of our lives. We promised each other that we would not put the other in a nursing home ever. My wife's health started failing a few years ago and I worked till almost 71 to make sure we had some extra for healthcare. When she became bed & wheelchair bound she was at home with me and I shut off any discussion of nursing homes. I lost her 8 months ago and sometimes regret working extra years instead of being more with her. But we got no help from the government or anyone else. Ever. I'm still waiting on all those benefits and advantages I keep reading , here, that us boomers are getting. What are they and when can I expect them? But we also knew there would never be any help. We grew up without any and never expected any so made sure we provided for this point in our life. For those making all the stupid generalizations about boomers- come walk back through my life in my shoes. Yeah I know, it was easy, right?
Ag_of_08
AG
It Aint Easy Being Brown said:

Wait

It's the boomers fault that gen z voted for Biden?

How exactly does that math work

Boomers put Biden in power as a young man, and have kept his ilk in power for decades.....
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

It Aint Easy Being Brown said:

Wait

It's the boomers fault that gen z voted for Biden?

How exactly does that math work

Boomers put Biden in power as a young man, and have kept his ilk in power for decades.....

What a pathetic and self absorbed take.
agenjake
All of the above.
jja79
AG
Young people put him in the WH.
Rattler12
whoop1995 said:

Adverse Event said:

The boomers aren't at fault for the game theory presented for success by their elders and betters. They followed the trends, listened to trusted sources in the media and politics and followed directions.

The problem is that the messaging was wrong. Not only that but the data presented, like inflation, caused false perceptions of present day and future results.

They witnessed some of the most addicting media behaviors ever invented, and have been studied relentlessly from every angle and every business school focused on "how do we continue to extract wealth from this generation," for decades.

Their loyalty to brands and personalities has unfortunately been their undoing. Those brands and personalities never had the boomers best intentions at heart, only the acquisition of as much wealth as feasible from said consumers.

I feel for this generation. Most will never meet a criteria for complete retirement, as inflation is approaching 10%+ if you don't listen to government statistics. They've been lied to their whole lives, unwittingly.

And the worst part?

Most of the boomers are going to die in some nursing home, alone, without family nearby as we've completely disassociate ourselves from caring for our elders preferring to send them to strangers instead of obligating ourselves of the burdens of death of our parents and grandparents. The experiences and heritages will disappear and not get passed along to the next generations.

I hate it.
Boomers have failed because of their own greed and have been living beyond their means nearly their entire lives. They wanted instant success and that was "given and taken" through credit cards. Something the older generation didn't have. To your point it enabled them to be addicted to media, brands and personalities easier.

Credit cards were invented in the 1950's and in full swing by the 1970's. Boomers have been bailed out and given new chances to start over by government. Bankruptcy used to be a stain on ones record but worn as a badge of honor. The boomer generation not retiring because they couldn't afford it caused stagnate growth in the jobs market capping younger generations promotional advances.
Rattler12
Velvet Jones said:

I believe '46 to '64.

Excuse me ??????

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.