ERCOT Issues State 2 Alert, Rolling Blackouts Possible

9,745 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by pressitup
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Edit: Thread title was supposed to be "Stage" not "State.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
An L of an Ag
AG
Just one more week and nightly lows drop into the 60s.
No Spin Ag
A/C just got lowered a degree further than usual because of that. Do they want to go for two degrees lower?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
XXXVII
The push for green energy is to blame.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
Robert L. Peters
No Spin Ag said:

A/C just got lowered a degree further than usual because of that. Do they want to go for two degrees lower?

I've got a natural gas generator. Thinking of pulling out the quilts and the space heater and lowering to 60. Let it all burn.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
nortex97
AG
Just fire up the windmills.

Right?
No Spin Ag
Robert L. Peters said:

No Spin Ag said:

I've got a natural gas generator. Thinking of pulling out the quilts and the space heater and lowering to 60. Let it all burn.

My man.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Rapier108
XXXVII said:

The push for green energy is to blame.
Yep, solar is dropping off quickly, and wind isn't picking up fast enough.

Looks like some thermal is also offline.

Price graph shows $6000, never seen it even appear on the graph. Usually $5000K is the max.

Also, there was a weird dip in the frequency for a brief time. IIRC, the same thing happened before it all went to **** during the snowpocalypse.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
12thAngryMan
AG
What's the thought process here? Screw your neighbors just because?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Also, there was a weird dip in the frequency for a brief time. IIRC, the same thing happened before it all went to **** during the snowpocalypse.
Can I get a translation on what that is and what it means, please?

TIA.
The Real Napster
I live next to a hospital. Gonna lower the ac to 68, curl up in a thick blanket and read a good book.
Rockdoc
AG
Anybody know how the decisions are made on these rolling blackouts? What areas? How long? That kind of info?
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

TIA.
No idea, I just remember it happened and there was about a page of discussion on the thread about what it meant and then the grid went to crap.

Let me see if I can find it, assuming it wasn't one of the purged threads.
Artimus Gordon
AG
FERKCOT
Little Rock Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

TIA.
I think they were talking about going from 60 Hz, which is the standard AC frequency across the North American grids, to a lower level, such as 59.8. Just a guess without seeing the specifics.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks guys.
BurnetAggie99
Yea the utility I work just sent out a email/text to prepared to activate our incident command if ERCOT orders any load shedding
Rapier108
Reserves looks to be slowly increasing from a low of around 2000MW up to 2454MW now.
D Nauti
The dip in frequency is usually something tripping offline and everything else picking up the lost load. BurnetAg may know exactly what happened when everyone stops freaking out in a little while.

C@LAg
Robert L. Peters said:

lowering to 60.
ugh. cannot sleep when it is that warm. luckily going down to 55 or so tonight,.
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

TIA.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3182697/7

Read gonemaroon's posts from the 2021 thread. This is what I was thinking of about the frequency dropping.
itsyourboypookie
D Nauti said:

The dip in frequency is usually something tripping offline and everything else picking up the lost load. BurnetAg may know exactly what happened when everyone stops freaking out in a little while.

I believe it was caused by the wind picking up as the front blew in and the windmills picked up speed.

Not sure tho
CaptTex
AG
Hawg, like others have mentioned it is deviancy from 60HZ. A little up or down isn't bad, say 59.9 or 60.1 is even manageable, but when you start talking about 59.6 or 59.5 it's no longer stable and load must be shed because a catastrophic failure will occur.

60HZ is 3600RPM on a generator, a cycle is from the generator and back once every 60th of a second, thus we get 60 HZ (60X60=3600). We have to maintain this because load on a generator is basically a big invisible hand, attempting to grip and stop this massive steel machine from rotating (throttles are helpful here) we can't spin too fast and we can't spin too slow, it has to be just about right. This effects time, the electrical system and thus every day life.

**** Joe Biden.
goatchze
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

TIA.

A big drop in frequency means a mismatch between supply and demand. When demand is so high that the frequency starts dropping, the demand is literally slowing down the turbines in the thermal generators. The grid frequency is directly related to real physical things (ex. Turbines) moving.

Think of it like a drowning person pulling others under water or capsizing a boat trying to climb in. Demand is dragging everything down with it.

Pull the frequency down enough, plants start to trip for safety reasons and so that they are not permanently damaged. Then you have a cascading event of no one staying above water, then everyone goes under.

Pull up the decor dashboard and scroll towards the bottom. There was a pretty significant excursion at about 7:30 or so.
Picard
AG
UNPLUG YOUR DAMN ELECTRIC CARS!!!

C@LAg
Picard said:

UNPLUG YOUR DAMN ELECTRIC CARS!!!

EVERYWHERE

fify
Rapier108
Back over 3500MW. Looks like Armageddon will have to wait for another day.
C@LAg
Rapier108 said:

Looks like Armageddon will have to wait for another day.
one safe place
The Real Napster said:

I live next to a hospital. Gonna lower the ac to 68, curl up in a thick blanket and read a good book.
Going to lower mine as far as it will go, then sit by the fireplace and warm my toes.
aggiehawg
AG
Thank you. Got it now. Just didn't think the grid was that sensitive one way or another. But when failsafes are triggered, I fully understand the cascade that results.

Where I live, we are on a co-op. but just a few miles away, they get their electricity from an electric company that is based out of state. They go down far more often than we do. We never lost power during the snowpocalyse, for example.
BurnetAggie99
Also like the Power Plants we also install under frequency relays at the substation level as well. So if there's any under frequency at the Sub level Relays will trip
AggieVictor10
AG
Load shedding like a 3rd world country thanks to banana republic Biden
LarryElder
These threads add like next door posts completely worthless
samurai_science
If we still had Sandow, Big Brown, Monticello, and Gibbons Creek online, we wouldn't have this problem. Obama and his war on coal caused this. I hope anyone that voted for him loses power
LarryElder
samurai_science said:

If we still had Sandow, Big Brown, Monticello, and Gibbons Creek online, we wouldn't have this problem. Obama and his war on coal caused this. I hope anyone that voted for him loses power

Yep this is on the liberals/dems
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.