Here Comes Hurricane Idalia

9,647 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by aggie93
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
American Hardwood said:

Kind of a tangent, but I heard on the radio this morning that Harvey caused 125 billion in damages, matching Katrina. Now I don't know how they come up with these numbers, but living in the area, you could have torn down and rebuilt every building in Aransas Pass and Rockport for 125 billion, twice, and still had money left over.

I'll just assume that whatever the actual damage is, the rest of the money to get you to 125B is accountable to fraud and government waste.

I'm sure that number includes Houston. May even include the damage done when it made landfall again in louisiana. The rainfall Houston received may be the most rainfall the US has seen in that amount of time. Remember it was pretty stationary dumping rain after rain
Kentucky Jeff
New boot goofin'!
BadMoonRisin
AG
gbaby23 said:

Ron is ready

New boot goofin'

I miss that show.
Carlo4
AG
American Hardwood said:

Kind of a tangent, but I heard on the radio this morning that Harvey caused 125 billion in damages, matching Katrina. Now I don't know how they come up with these numbers, but living in the area, you could have torn down and rebuilt every building in Aransas Pass and Rockport for 125 billion, twice, and still had money left over.

I'll just assume that whatever the actual damage is, the rest of the money to get you to 125B is accountable to fraud and government waste.
They rebuilt half of Houston/LA border with it basically. Record for rainfall in a certain amount of time in Nederland (60 inches).

American Hardwood
AG
I guess with all the excitement around Harvey's initial landfall, I didn't pay much attention to what it did up the coast. But these disaster figures always seem inflated to me. Not just Harvey.
American Hardwood
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

gbaby23 said:

Ron is ready

New boot goofin'

I miss that show.
Me too, went looking for the series last night on the Roku, but it isn't free on any of the streaming services I have. Not gonna pay $2 an episode to watch it.
YellowPot_97
AG
American Hardwood said:

There were entire subdivisions around Houston with 1000s of house in 4ft of water. I helped pull thousands of people from their homes during Harvey. I don't doubt that number at all.
IndividualFreedom
Would you want a category 3 hurricane in Houston tomorrow if it promised 5" of rain?
Nanomachines son
American Hardwood said:

I believe something like 500,000 vehicles were totaled during Harvey. That alone is $24 billion assuming an average vehicle price of $48,000. Flood damage was immense. 273,000 houses were damaged by the storm. Assuming $100,000 in damage considering most of these were flood losses, you're looking at another $27 billion at least. Then consider the business and industrial losses and the number quickly goes up.

If anything $125 billion is probably a low estimate, they just didn't want to say a number higher than Katrina.
fooz
Officially a cat 2 now.

willtackleforfood
AG
Best of luck to everyone on Florida.

Remember, an important part of being prepared for this hurricane, is to get vaccinated. /pResident Biden
aggie93
AG
Ron appears to have thought of everything. Got 40k Lineworkers and electricians ready to roll, well over a million gallons of gas ready to deliver, and has declared emergencies and evac orders for the outlying islands. My favorite though.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
FL_Ag1998
AG
aggie93 said:

Ron appears to have thought of everything. Got 40k Lineworkers and electricians ready to roll, well over a million gallons of gas ready to deliver, and has declared emergencies and evac orders for the outlying islands. My favorite though.

He needs to make sure those hotels don't start doubling and tripling their prices. That's the bigger issue. They're notorious for that. I know the state has hotlines to report price gauging but I swear hotels still get away with it.
AggieDub25
I heard on the Ryan Hall Y'all livestream that's on right now that a pretty good portion of the Florida west coast gas stations had contaminated gasoline. Seems to be a pretty significant bit of news that I haven't heard anywhere else. Especially for those trying to evacuate.
TTUArmy
zwhag2010 said:

I think Alabama is going to get hit much harder than expected

I'm currently in Birmingham...so I hope not.
aggiehawg
AG
AggieDub25 said:

I heard on the Ryan Hall Y'all livestream that's on right now that a pretty good portion of the Florida west coast gas stations had contaminated gasoline. Seems to be a pretty significant bit of news that I haven't heard anywhere else. Especially for those trying to evacuate.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3395306

Yesterday it was discussed at length.
AggieDub25
My bad
TTUArmy
AggieDub25 said:

I like Ryan...he's a pretty good weatherman. He was saying something earlier today about the storm possibly heading back out into the Atlantic, turning back west, then hitting the east coast of Florida, but not as hard...perhaps a strong tropical storm.
Cromagnum
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Would you want a category 3 hurricane in Houston tomorrow if it promised 5" of rain?

I need a new roof and fence. May as well.
aggiehawg
AG
AggieDub25 said:

My bad
No problem. Just wanted to give you some background. But I do appreciate that the gas situation was bad enough to get Ryan Hall's attention with his group of storm chasers. Could not tell from initial reports whether this would be a big deal or not.
ABATTBQ87
AG
willtackleforfood said:

Best of luck to everyone on Florida.

Remember, an important part of being prepared for this hurricane, is to get vaccinated. /pResident Biden

And wear a mask to protect yourself and first responders
AggieDub25
Yea, he became my go to weatherman during the tornado season. Guy has a pretty solid team and has many people hawking radar. He was saying this hurricane would hit cat 3-4 status when it was just a thunderstorm. Pretty sharp group of people running that channel.

Oh and since it seems like power goes out these days when a slight breeze blows in, it's nice to have a YouTube weatherman.
Global Warming
Watching this thread.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CNN: Idalia barrels toward part of Florida that has NEVER been hit by hurricane ...

This can't be true, right?

I mean I know... CNNIAEOTPASBTAS...
aezmvp
SpreadsheetAg said:

CNN: Idalia barrels toward part of Florida that has NEVER been hit by hurricane ...

Yes it has. Head on? Not in a while but expecting reporters to be smart is not a winning bet.
willtackleforfood
AG
The man to follow...

aggie93
AG

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG

Ronald Reagan
Sterling96

Now projected to make landfall as a Category 4. This is likely to be more terrible than imagined.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
looking like it's headed for the state forest wilderness
fullback44
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

looking like it's headed for the state forest wilderness

Thats good news .. it that sucker Slammed into Tampa and Tampa Bay Area that wouldn't be so good. Hopefully those intrusive big snakes in the forest area don't make it
Sq 17
American Hardwood said:

I guess with all the excitement around Harvey's initial landfall, I didn't pay much attention to what it did up the coast. But these disaster figures always seem inflated to me. Not just Harvey.

The 1000's of destroyed cars that were hauled to Texas World Soeedway in South CS showed how much damage Harvey did
There were so many totaled cars and things were such a mess in the Houston area from Harvey the claims guys thought it was easier to tow the cars to cs for processing than to do it in Houston.
Sq 17
SpreadsheetAg said:

With the caveats of "major hurricane" and "initial Landfall" this is a mostly true statement. To make initial landfall in that portion of FL a storm has to travel almost due north , and has to form in very specific area in the Caribbean.
To be a major hurricane it has to intensify very quickly there is not a lot of "runway" from where this storm formed to where it is making initial landfall
Dan Scott
AG
DeSantis had a press conference at 6:30 local time. He stuck to the script, let his expert team do the talking, took a few question but didn't make himself the story.
Opalka
AG
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has sent 640 personnel to the area who are "prepared to respond if requested to do so," the White House said on Tuesday. It has deployed six Incident Management Assistance Teams, nine Urban Search and Rescue Teams and three Disaster Survivor Assistance Strike Teams. The Army Corps of Engineers has a team to fill shelter, food and energy needs, in conjunction with the American Red Cross.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.