CITGO stations in Florida have likely diesel contamination

5,511 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by richardag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Florida officials announced on Sunday that fuel purchased after 10 a.m. on Saturday was likely contaminated with diesel if it was supplied by CITGO from the Port of Tampa.
[url=https://eb2.3lift.com/pass?tl_clickthrough=true&redir=https%3A%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fddm%2Ftrackclk%2FN4478.284566THETRADEDESK1%2FB30359036.372725615%3Bdc_trk_aid%3D563790008%3Bdc_trk_cid%3D196562772%3Bdc_lat%3D%3Bdc_rdid%3D%3Btag_for_child_directed_treatment%3D%3Btfua%3D%3Bltd%3D%3Bdc_tdv%3D1&pr=4.208&bc=5.07&aid=44533676053778440693740&bmid=3658&biid=3658&sid=15113&did=55984&tid=17068229&clid=16670593&brid=112&adid=17077354&crid=194005032&ts=1693269025&bcud=5070&ss=12&cb=27221][/url]

Quote:

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) made the announcement on social media, saying the contamination was caused by human error.

Gov. Ron DeSantis noted the announcement during a press conference regarding Tropical Storm Idalia, which is barreling toward the U.S. southern coast and could make landfall in Florida.
Quote:

DeSantis said an investigation into the fuel contamination and how widespread it is, is underway.
The governor also said the contamination was "just human error," and the workers put diesel in tanks that were supposed to be for regular gasoline.

"Obviously if you have a tank of gas, and it's 90% regular and 10% diesel, the dilution…probably may not ruin your car, but I mean if you put a whole tank of diesel in, that's going to be a major, major problem," DeSantis said.

He added that he spoke with FDACS Wilton Simpson, who said they were trying to get a list of all the gas stations that may have cross-contaminated fuel, so people know if they filled up at those stations.
The FDACS said if anyone believes they were sold contaminated gas, they can file a complaint by calling 1-800-HELP-FLA or by visiting fdacs.gov.

A spokesperson for CITGO told Fox News Digital that on Saturday, the company discovered contaminated product at its Tampa, Florida terminal because of a product routing issue at the terminal, and immediately shut down the rack.
LINK

Just human error? Or sabotage? So, am I correct in assuming the gas station owners have to now flush out their tanks? With a hurricane coming?

Logos Stick
Never have I heard of that happening.
Old Army Ghost
everything is a conspiracy

Old Army has gone to hell.
C@LAg
TBF I have always considered citgo gas to be contaminated.

and that is not even a lame attempt at blue stars. i find their gas always subpar and dirty when i am forced to use it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Logos Stick said:

Never have I heard of that happening.

First time for everything
It Aint Easy Being Brown
Govt evs to the rescue

They come w a free booster
Maroon Dawn
AG
You can poo-poo conspiracy theories

All you need to do is believe Democrats have the most incredible luck with getting the exact event they need to sabotage their political opponents at the exact moment they need it
Rapier108
All it takes is a someone either connecting a pipe wrong, or transferring the wrong fuel from one tank to another.

Not everything is a grand conspiracy.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
richardag
C@LAg said:

and that is not even a lame attempt at blue stars. i find their gas always subpar and dirty when i am forced to use it.
Just curious how you determined Citgo gas or for that matter any gas is inferior or dirty?

In the old days(60s/70s) I could tell when I replaced the spark plugs or performance was hindered or timing was off(misfiring). I haven't replaced spark plugs or had those issues in decades.

Thanks in advance.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Sabotage
BassCowboy33
I used to work on oil tankers, often transporting multiple different fuels in the same load. Frankly, I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. It's a very fine line ports walk, with disaster often just one wrong valve away.

We ran coastwise routes, with the big stops always being Corpus, Houston, Beaumont, Brownsville, Baton Rouge, and Tampa.
C@LAg
richardag said:

C@LAg said:

Just curious how you determined Citgo gas or for that matter any gas is inferior or dirty?

In the old days(60s/70s) I could tell when I replaced the spark plugs or performance was hindered or timing was off(misfiring). I haven't replaced spark plugs or had those issues in decades.

Thanks in advance.
i anally keep detailed vehicle fueling, mileage, maintenace records (26 years worth, a result of lots of driving around to clients when working since i liked to take my dog with me on business trips.)

and I always get subopar performance (rougher idling, reduced fuel economy) when using Citco gas.

Doesn't matter if it is the Jeep Wrangler, the Jeep Liberty or the wife's older 4Runner.
ABattJudd
AG
Quote:

i anally keep detailed vehicle fueling, mileage, maintenace records

Seems like an overly complicated method, but to each his own I guess.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
richardag
C@LAg said:

richardag said:

C@LAg said:

Thanks in advance.
i anally keep detailed vehicle fueling, mileage, maintenace records (26 years worth, a result of lots of driving around to clients when working since i liked to take my dog with me on business trips.)

and I always get subopar performance (rougher idling, reduced fuel economy) when using Citco gas.

Doesn't matter if it is the Jeep Wrangler, the Jeep Liberty or the wife's older 4Runner.
Thanks for the reply.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Independence H-D
FEMA is sending the cavalry.
C@LAg
ABattJudd said:

Quote:

helps for expense reporting/tax reasons, depending on the projects/length of project.

as well as i like to see what's what. literally take 20 seconds to make a note when filling up, or rotating tires, or changing oil, etc.
CDUB98
AG
That's a huge **** up.
C@LAg
richardag said:

Thanks for the reply.
i could have also thrown in a slightly snarky response about googling it, where CITGO gas gets comapred to many other asolines and tends to come out in the middle to lower pack most of the time.

but as I stated "I consider" and not "I know" i was basing my comment off my own direct observations over a very long period of time.
Old May Banker
AG
Depending on how much diesel is in this "contamination," gas engines will still run.
ABattJudd
AG
C@LAg said:

ABattJudd said:

Quote:

helps for expense reporting/tax reasons, depending on the projects/length of project.

as well as i like to see what's what. literally take 20 seconds to make a note when filling up, or rotating tires, or changing oil, etc.

Your serious answer makes me believe you didn't see the part of your post I bolted.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
PA24
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I used to work on oil tankers, often transporting multiple different fuels in the same load. Frankly, I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. It's a very fine line ports walk, with disaster often just one wrong valve away.

We ran coastwise routes, with the big stops always being Corpus, Houston, Beaumont, Brownsville, Baton Rouge, and Tampa.
winner, winner, Chicken dinner!
Trajan88
AG
... or is it the Belluminati?

Gigem314
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

Sabotage
I can't stand it, I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight, this Watergate
Logos Stick
Rapier108 said:

All it takes is a someone either connecting a pipe wrong, or transferring the wrong fuel from one tank to another.

That can't happen. This is from a distributor. The hardware is different to ensure that can't happen. A gasoline tanker can't hook up to a diesel tank and vice versa.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

That can't happen. This is from a distributor. The hardware is different to ensure that can't happen. A gasoline tanker can't hook up to a diesel tank and vice versa.
When the product was pumped into the terminal, the product went to the wrong tank. I worked gasoline/diesel pipelines and have seen this type of mistake more than once.
Logos Stick
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

When the product was pumped into the terminal, the product went to the wrong tank. I worked gasoline/diesel pipelines and have seen this type of mistake more than once.

No you haven't.
Kenneth_2003
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

At certain pressures different fuels are regularly run in the same pipelines. They can be physically separated by pigs, but I believe at certain pressures they won't mix and can be run side by side.

I agree, it's amazing it doesn't happen all the time. Hell, the delivery trucks just use a rotating placard.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

No you haven't.
LOL...

go against your distributor expert...lol.

Seriously, I managed a control center for gasoline and diesel pipeline that fed hundreds of tanks.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

No you haven't.
LOL...

Seriously, I managed a control center for gasoline and diesel pipeline that fed hundreds of tanks.

So assuming you're correct (I have no idea about this stuff) who's ass would be on the line for any damages?

PA24
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

At certain pressures different fuels are regularly run in the same pipelines. They can be physically separated by pigs, but I believe at certain pressures they won't mix and can be run side by side.

I agree, it's amazing it doesn't happen all the time. Hell, the delivery trucks just use a rotating placard.
wrong but close.

different batches are separated by the transmix that is the mixing of the different products and that is known as the interface.

Pro Sandy
AG
My dad used to manage movement and storage for a refinery for 25+ years. He ran the tank farm, docks, pipelines, and truck rack. Called him and asked how many times he put diesel in the gasoline. He said only once. The operator reported it as soon as he realized what he did.

He said things like this happen, the wrong product is placed into the wrong tank, but he never had it leave the plant.
lurker76
richardag said:

C@LAg said:

Thanks in advance.
I spent 10 years (1992-2002) working on engineering projects for Citgo, primarily in Lake Charles, but also Lamont, Ill., and Corpus Christi. None of the engineers I interfaced with in the LC refinery would put Citgo gas in their personal vehicles. If it was a company car, sure.
Pro Sandy
AG
My dad felt that way about Coastal gasoline
Kenneth_2003
AG
PA24 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

wrong but close.

different batches are separated by the transmix that is the mixing of the different products and that is known as the interface.

Ahh, thanks!
PA24
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

No you haven't.
LOL...

So assuming you're correct (I have no idea about this stuff) who's ass would be on the line for any damages?

Terminal is suppose to test for off spec product but when demand is high, things are missed.
Also
Pipeline Controller turns products into terminals using a densitometer or reading gravities. The equipment seldom fails but human reads Diesel and turns it into a RBOB (regular gasoline) tank. Mistake happen.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.