CITGO stations in Florida have likely diesel contamination

5,521 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by richardag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is there some type of consensus here? Just a badly timed accident in a badly timed hurricane zone that went undetected until after wide distribution?

And what are the remediation methods after that distribution?
Sea Speed
AG
PA24 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I used to work on oil tankers, often transporting multiple different fuels in the same load. Frankly, I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. It's a very fine line ports walk, with disaster often just one wrong valve away.

We ran coastwise routes, with the big stops always being Corpus, Houston, Beaumont, Brownsville, Baton Rouge, and Tampa.
winner, winner, Chicken dinner!

No no, everything is definitely super serious sabotage.
Sea Speed
AG
A product carrier ould have been leaking from one tank to another and it wasn't caught previously. A valve could have failed, the officer in charge of the cargo could have been pissed off at the captain or his wife, someone at the terminal could have turned the wrong valve or something failed. There are a thousand moving parts to get product from one place to another. As bass cowboy said, im pretty surprised that it doesn't happen more often.

Source - its my actual job
PA24
AG
Pro Sandy said:

My dad used to manage movement and storage for a refinery for 25+ years. He ran the tank farm, docks, pipelines, and truck rack. Called him and asked how many times he put diesel in the gasoline. He said only once. The operator reported it as soon as he realized what he did.

He said things like this happen, the wrong product is placed into the wrong tank, but he never had it leave the plant..

refinery has tighter controls than the transportation portion. Once it gets on the pipeline, from leaking valves to careless cutting batches, it happens.
aggiehawg
AG
Listing of the locations likely affected is at the bottom of LINK
Burrus86
AG
Oh wait, unleaded fuel has STDs…switch to diesel. It happens all the time. I'm glad the MSM can expose this right before the storm. Hint: the trucks carry all kinds of fuel. AvGas, unleaded, premium, Jet A, Mike's lube….
aggiehawg
AG
PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

My dad used to manage movement and storage for a refinery for 25+ years. He ran the tank farm, docks, pipelines, and truck rack. Called him and asked how many times he put diesel in the gasoline. He said only once. The operator reported it as soon as he realized what he did.

He said things like this happen, the wrong product is placed into the wrong tank, but he never had it leave the plant..

refinery has tighter controls than the transportation portion. Once it gets on the pipeline, from leaking valves to careless cutting batches, it happens.
Wait, I'm confused now. So the contamination happened in pipelines before being off-loaded at the port? Or during the offloading at the port?
PA24
AG
Citgo nearest product refinery is in Lake Charles. I worked at that refinery years ago.

Was the 90's that long ago.
PA24
AG
aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Wait, I'm confused now. So the contamination happened in pipelines before being off-loaded at the port? Or during the offloading at the port?
Most likely happen during transporting from the refinery to the terminal by pipeline, rail, and or water.

Lot of moving parts.
itsyourboypookie
Old May Banker said:

Depending on how much diesel is in this "contamination," gas engines will still run.

Will just lube the upper valves or injectors or some nonsense my uncle use to say.

If it was gas in diesel insurance company's would be buying 16k fuel systems one replacing cp4s on every modern diesel truck and car
aggiehawg
AG
PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Most likely happen during transporting from the refinery to the terminal by pipeline, rail, and or water.

Lot of moving parts.
Oh. So the "port" of Tampa has their own pipelines to it?
PA24
AG
C@LAg said:

TBF I have always considered citgo gas to be contaminated.

and that is not even a lame attempt at blue stars. i find their gas always subpar and dirty when i am forced to use it.
Citgo doesn't own any fuel outlets, all distributors. They own a lot of terminals that fed these gasoline/diesel outlets.

A terminal receives gasoline in raw form, called RBOB or KBOB. One is regular and the other is premium gasoline.
The gasoline is fungible, meaning interchangeable with other gasolines on say the Colonial pipeline.

Once it gets to the Citgo terminal, it is blended with the brand's special detergents.

Now here is the kicker, Exxon or shell or whoever can call the Citgo terminal and ask them to blend up a batch of their stuff cause they are out. Citgo has all their recipes and can blend one up for them. Always trading with each other so the difference in your study must be the detergent recipe Citgo uses.
PA24
AG
aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Lot of moving parts.
Yes, to the different tanks but not a major pipeline feeding it.

The only major product pipeline running east is Colonial Pipeline. It runs from Houston ship channel thru the south and up the eastern seaboard. Ed's just about everyone.
Don't think it goes by Tampa.

Tampa gets its fuel off the water if my memory serves me right. Barge deliveries from Lake Charles or trading with other refineries closer like in N.O.
Sea Speed
AG
aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Lot of moving parts.

Terminals in the port of Tampa do I'm sure, just like most other ports that ship or receive bulk cargo. It isn't some weird thing to have pipelines to terminals. I'm sure you're familiar with tank farms?
aggiehawg
AG
PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Lot of moving parts.

The only major product pipeline running east is Colonial Pipeline. It runs from Houston ship channel thru the south and up the eastern seaboard. Ed's just about everyone.

Tampa gets its fuel off the water if my memory serves me right. Barge deliveries from Lake Charles or trading with other refineries closer like in N.O.
Thanks. Even though my Dad was an oil exec, he died in the early 80s, so my personal knowledge of certain infrastructures is pretty dated. But I can tell you that he never had such an issue but he was worldwide pipeline coordinator for a major oil company. So how pipelines got involved in thi Florida situation just wasn't sitting right with me.

So I asked the brilliant and experienced minds of TexAgs to help me figure it out.
Robert L. Peters
I hope it's getting clear to everyone. We used to have men working on things. Now we have children. I don't trust any of these ****ers
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
BassCowboy33
Kenneth_2003 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I used to work on oil tankers, often transporting multiple different fuels in the same load. Frankly, I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. It's a very fine line ports walk, with disaster often just one wrong valve away.

We ran coastwise routes, with the big stops always being Corpus, Houston, Beaumont, Brownsville, Baton Rouge, and Tampa.
At certain pressures different fuels are regularly run in the same pipelines. They can be physically separated by pigs, but I believe at certain pressures they won't mix and can be run side by side.

I agree, it's amazing it doesn't happen all the time. Hell, the delivery trucks just use a rotating placard.

I almost mentioned "pushing the pig", lol.

If you have chemicals with vastly different viscosities, you can actually load them on top of each other in the same tank, which always scared me.
BassCowboy33
PA24 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

All it takes is a someone either connecting a pipe wrong, or transferring the wrong fuel from one tank to another.

Not everything is a grand conspiracy.

That can't happen. This is from a distributor. The hardware is different to ensure that can't happen. A gasoline tanker can't hook up to a diesel tank and vice versa.
When the product was pumped into the terminal, the product went to the wrong tank. I worked gasoline/diesel pipelines and have seen this type of mistake more than once.

No you haven't.
LOL...

go against your distributor expert...lol.

Seriously, I managed a control center for gasoline and diesel pipeline that fed hundreds of tanks.

So assuming you're correct (I have no idea about this stuff) who's ass would be on the line for any damages?

Terminal is suppose to test for off spec product but when demand is high, things are missed.
Also
Pipeline Controller turns products into terminals using a densitometer or reading gravities. The equipment seldom fails but human reads Diesel and turns it into a RBOB (regular gasoline) tank. Mistake happen.

From the tanker perspective, we'd usually pump a few hundred barrels and the terminal would take samples at the tank and the manifold for testing. When those tests came back clean, then we'd go full bore pumping cargo ashore.
CenTexSmoke
Logos Stick said:

Never have I heard of that happening.

I actually worked for Citgo in their control center for pipelines and terminals in my early 20's. It happens easier than you think, gas /diesel is sent down in batches down the pipelines to the terminals, all it takes is something not paying attention, a faulty device that reads the specific gravity of the product to accidentally introduce diesel or gas into the wrong tank. Typically you have what's called a "slop cut" which is the mixture point between the gas an diesel, that's sent to a waste tank. Sounds like someone missed their window and added too much diesel to the gas tanks.
LMCane
ABattJudd said:

Quote:

i anally keep detailed vehicle fueling, mileage, maintenace records

Seems like an overly complicated method, but to each his own I guess.
Thomas Jefferson recorded the weather every day at Monticello.

this guy records every tank of gas he uses.

props...
justnobody79
no conspiracy on this one, these things happen behind the scenes more than you think, you just don't hear about it
justnobody79
PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

aggiehawg said:

PA24 said:

Pro Sandy said:

Lot of moving parts.

Plantation pipeline also runs from Baton Rouge up the East Coast, pretty much parallel to the Colonial. There are no pipelines in Florida for gasoline or diesel. It is all barged in, trucked in, or railed in.
Burdizzo
AG
I avoid Citgo gas mainly because of their large Venezuela connection.
PA24
AG
Burdizzo said:

Heavy crude oil from Venezuela, I helped rebuild their LCR refinery to handle the high sulfur oil.

Good times as a young engineer.

Cromagnum
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

Sabotage

It's only a conspiracy theory until the facts come out, then it's "old news" that nobody wants to talk about.
aggiehawg
AG
Cromagnum said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Sabotage

It's only a conspiracy theory until the facts come out, then it's "old news" that nobody wants to talk about.
Imagine what would have happened if Katrina and Rita had hit a year earlier, in 2004 right before the election?

If Desantis was not running for President, could easily pass it off as bad luck and a true accident but under the Dem theory of never letting a crisis go to waste, in the back of your mind?
TexasAggiesWin
S
Heard the Mayor of Tampa interviewed earlier about this and she basically said, "This was a non-story and was cleaned up within hours of us being notified about it". We shall see how if that remains the case...
aggiehawg
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Heard the Mayor of Tampa interviewed earlier about this and she basically said, "This was a non-story and was cleaned up within hours of us being notified about it". We shall see how if that remains the case...
Thanks for the update. But that brings me back to original concern, how does it "get cleaned up quickly"?

What is the process to remediate this type of contamination once it has been widely distributed?
Science Denier
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

You can poo-poo conspiracy theories

All you need to do is believe Democrats have the most incredible luck with getting the exact event they need to sabotage their political opponents at the exact moment they need it

Trump is their political opponent. Nobody gives a **** about anyone in Florida.
PA24
AG

Lot of finger pointing but end of the day all complaints are individually addressed. Bad fuel was trucked out.
CDUB98
AG
PA24 said:

C@LAg said:

and that is not even a lame attempt at blue stars. i find their gas always subpar and dirty when i am forced to use it.
Citgo doesn't own any fuel outlets, all distributors. They own a lot of terminals that fed these gasoline/diesel outlets.

A terminal receives gasoline in raw form, called RBOB or KBOB. One is regular and the other is premium gasoline.
The gasoline is fungible, meaning interchangeable with other gasolines on say the Colonial pipeline.

Once it gets to the Citgo terminal, it is blended with the brand's special detergents.

Now here is the kicker, Exxon or shell or whoever can call the Citgo terminal and ask them to blend up a batch of their stuff cause they are out. Citgo has all their recipes and can blend one up for them. Always trading with each other so the difference in your study must be the detergent recipe Citgo uses.

WINNER!
CDUB98
AG
Burdizzo said:

You likely buy it without even knowing it. As PA24 explained, it's all the same and blended.
bonfarr
AG
C@LAg said:

You know it's pretty much the same gas at every station the only difference is the additives added to the base right? All of the refiners make the gas and it goes into the same terminals. The transport drivers from the different brands punch in a code when they go to the terminal to fill up and the code determines the additives added to the base fuel. Otherwise you would see hundreds if not thousand of terminals across the country if they only stored one brand.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Red Red Wine
AG
On pipelines the transition phases are transmix and that is cut out of either tank. They have tanks for transmix.

Now if someone was asleep and missed the transition material coming down the line, all bets are off.

But Tampa would be a tanker in a port off-loading cargos to tanks. I'm assuming someone screwed up the offloading from the barge to the tank farm/terminal.

Red Red Wine
AG
That is true of pipeline gas. Not necessarily for barges delivering to tanks in port cities.

Branded stations using port terminals are likely that refiners gasoline. But they will trade barrels with each other from time to time so there is some comingling.

But in general gasoline is mostly fungible. So yes, it the cones down to just the additive packages. Costco adds something like 3x or 5x the additives required for Tier 3 gasoline. I'm not completely sold that more additive is a good thing as some of the additives at too high a level can actually be bad - not good.

If you are concerned with the fuel in your vehicle, you can probably figure out the gasoline pool and the additives used if so desired.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.