CITGO stations in Florida have likely diesel contamination

5,537 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by richardag
justnobody79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiehawg said:

TexasAggiesWin said:

Heard the Mayor of Tampa interviewed earlier about this and she basically said, "This was a non-story and was cleaned up within hours of us being notified about it". We shall see how if that remains the case...
Thanks for the update. But that brings me back to original concern, how does it "get cleaned up quickly"?

What is the process to remediate this type of contamination once it has been widely distributed?
They would likely first determine contamination percentage, and if it was below a certain threshold, let's say <5% for this discussion, then they may just let it go and continue to sell as is. If it was overly contaminated they could trace which drivers loaded the bad fuel and where it went. They would then call the stores and shut the pumps down, send drivers with pump units on the truck to pump out the bad fuel and then put fresh fuel back in the tanks and start selling again.
Burdizzo
AG
CDUB98 said:

Burdizzo said:

I avoid Citgo gas mainly because of their large Venezuela connection.

You likely buy it without even knowing it. As PA24 explained, it's all the same and blended.

About 80% of the time I buy from the Exxon near my house. I have been told Exxon is less likely to blend with other brands, but I don't know that for a fact. Plus I like the red, white, and blue logo.
richardag
C@LAg said:

richardag said:

Thanks for the reply.
i could have also thrown in a slightly snarky response about googling it, where CITGO gas gets comapred to many other asolines and tends to come out in the middle to lower pack most of the time.

but as I stated "I consider" and not "I know" i was basing my comment off my own direct observations over a very long period of time.
Appreciate the information and response.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
richardag
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

All it takes is a someone either connecting a pipe wrong, or transferring the wrong fuel from one tank to another.

Not everything is a grand conspiracy.

That can't happen. This is from a distributor. The hardware is different to ensure that can't happen. A gasoline tanker can't hook up to a diesel tank and vice versa.
When the product was pumped into the terminal, the product went to the wrong tank. I worked gasoline/diesel pipelines and have seen this type of mistake more than once.
Curious why they don't make the connections for each type/grade of gasoline/diesel different?
This one incident may cost the companies millions.
ETA
Nevermind, answered by Kenneth_2003, since they use common pipelines
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.