Trump campaign works with the left to take out rivals

15,416 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by ts5641
Phatbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was posted in the R vs D thread, but I think it deserves it's own thread.
[url=https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/17/ron-filipkowski-desantis-trump-00110950][/url]
Politico

Quote:

Online, Filipkowski, a former Republican now devoted to trolling the GOP, is a different person altogether. He is a social media obsessive or savant, or both sharing an endless stream of photos, videos, political dirt and, at times, biting political commentary with the roughly 750,000 followers he has on X, sometimes blowing up a politician's comment or gaffe with attention. "The thing that I think is so unique about Ron's work is that he surfaces a lot of clips and photos that aren't things you can find by just watching cable news or YouTube streams," said Aaron Rupar (follower count: 884.7k), a liberal-leaning journalist known for quickly clipping political videos that go viral on X. "He's great at dredging things up from deeper social media sources that take a lot of work to find."

During the 2022 midterm election, he shared a video of Pennsylvania Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz talking about preparing a crudit platter that went viral and underscored voter concerns that the wealthy TV physician was out of touch. During the same cycle, he picked up on then-Senate candidate J.D. Vance telling Steve Bannon's War Room podcast he didn't "care what happens to Ukraine one way or another," a moment that previewed the shift in how Republicans view foreign conflicts. Days later, Vance's campaign issued a statement clarifying his comments. And earlier this year, when 2024 GOP presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis lashed out at a reporter during a trip to Jerusalem over a question about his time serving at Guantanamo Bay as a Navy lawyer, Filipkowski posted a clipped video of the moment that now has over 3.8 million views.

His tweets have sparked cable news segments and online battles with political operatives. Journalists have alerts turned on to catch the latest photo or obscure right-wing event he has uncovered. Even the campaigns he covers and political figures he loathes have warmed to him and even teamed up with him. Filipkowski said he is in contact with far-right activist Laura Loomer and people affiliated with Donald Trump's campaign. It's not to boost Trump (whom he has been agitating against since the 2020 campaign) but to upend their mutual enemy: DeSantis.

"I'm probably the top anti-DeSantis person on Twitter. So if [rivals] have something anti-DeSantis that they want to get into the mainstream, they'll send it to me," Filipkowski said, without disclosing the name of anyone on the Trump campaign he's worked with. The Trump campaign declined to comment.

Loomer said they speak occasionally. "He knows I'm a Trump loyalist, and I know he doesn't like Trump, and despite our differences, we have found common ground on making sure Ron DeSantis is never elected president of the United States, ever."
Does that sound like someone interested in making sure that the Democrats are not elected no matter what, or like someone who only cares about 1 thing... Trump.

cevans_40
AG
Phatbob said:

This was posted in the R vs D thread, but I think it deserves it's own thread.
[url=https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/17/ron-filipkowski-desantis-trump-00110950][/url]
Politico

Quote:

Online, Filipkowski, a former Republican now devoted to trolling the GOP, is a different person altogether. He is a social media obsessive or savant, or both sharing an endless stream of photos, videos, political dirt and, at times, biting political commentary with the roughly 750,000 followers he has on X, sometimes blowing up a politician's comment or gaffe with attention. "The thing that I think is so unique about Ron's work is that he surfaces a lot of clips and photos that aren't things you can find by just watching cable news or YouTube streams," said Aaron Rupar (follower count: 884.7k), a liberal-leaning journalist known for quickly clipping political videos that go viral on X. "He's great at dredging things up from deeper social media sources that take a lot of work to find."

During the 2022 midterm election, he shared a video of Pennsylvania Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz talking about preparing a crudit platter that went viral and underscored voter concerns that the wealthy TV physician was out of touch. During the same cycle, he picked up on then-Senate candidate J.D. Vance telling Steve Bannon's War Room podcast he didn't "care what happens to Ukraine one way or another," a moment that previewed the shift in how Republicans view foreign conflicts. Days later, Vance's campaign issued a statement clarifying his comments. And earlier this year, when 2024 GOP presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis lashed out at a reporter during a trip to Jerusalem over a question about his time serving at Guantanamo Bay as a Navy lawyer, Filipkowski posted a clipped video of the moment that now has over 3.8 million views.

His tweets have sparked cable news segments and online battles with political operatives. Journalists have alerts turned on to catch the latest photo or obscure right-wing event he has uncovered. Even the campaigns he covers and political figures he loathes have warmed to him and even teamed up with him. Filipkowski said he is in contact with far-right activist Laura Loomer and people affiliated with Donald Trump's campaign. It's not to boost Trump (whom he has been agitating against since the 2020 campaign) but to upend their mutual enemy: DeSantis.

"I'm probably the top anti-DeSantis person on Twitter. So if [rivals] have something anti-DeSantis that they want to get into the mainstream, they'll send it to me," Filipkowski said, without disclosing the name of anyone on the Trump campaign he's worked with. The Trump campaign declined to comment.

Loomer said they speak occasionally. "He knows I'm a Trump loyalist, and I know he doesn't like Trump, and despite our differences, we have found common ground on making sure Ron DeSantis is never elected president of the United States, ever."
Does that sound like someone interested in making sure that the Democrats are not elected no matter what, or like someone who only cares about 1 thing... Trump.

And naturally, you believe him
TheBonifaceOption
I heard Trump was willing to go on CNN. There we have it! Trump is in bed with the Left.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I believe Trump's #1 social media gal Laura Loomer when she speaks for herself, and it confirms what we know that the Trump organization would burn the party to the ground rather than see a conservative as the nominee.
Phatbob
AG

Quote:

They don't just quote him, they quote the Trump camp as well.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Well, if Mr Flipkowski the admitted troll said it, it has to be true. TDS has ruined you.
Phatbob
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Well, if Mr Flipkowski the admitted troll said it, it has to be true. TDS has ruined you.
So we should ignore direct quotes from the Trump camp? I didn't realize TDS meant listening to what they actually say... I will keep that in mind that believing direct quotes from them equals TDS. Thanks for clarifying.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Lol, the article literally quotes Loomer saying she's working with this dude to bring down Desantis, yet the Trump acolytes are taking their cue from Trump and trying to convince us we didn't just read what we read. That's the deny and deflect tactic honed so well by the Trump side.

"The sky isn't blue, you're just making that up because you have TDS. And Trump's people aren't working with Dems like Filipkowski, you have no proof of that."

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Isn't taking down your opponent the objective during an election? Yes. You guys will believe anything to paint anyone in opposition to DeSantis in a negative light.

Oh wait…
Phatbob
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Isn't taking down your opponent the objective during an election? Yes. You guys will believe anything to paint anyone in opposition to DeSantis in a negative light.

Oh wait…
How much evidence do you need? How many direct quotes from Trump with complete video am I supposed to ignore and decide he didn't mean what he actually says? How much A + B = C are we supposed to say doesn't really matter???

Let's say we admit that DeSantis is responsible for his message reaching those in the party and his failings are that he hasn't. Then we have to say Trump is responsible for his own failings in the same way. Stuff like this is losing him support. Direct quotes combined with past behavior makes for a completely believable story of what Trump and his campaign is willing to do for his own benefit. It's his responsibility to make us believe that he ISN'T that person whom he keeps telling us that he is.
cevans_40
AG
Phatbob said:

Quote:

The member of Trumps camp that doesn't have a name?

Phatbob
AG
cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

Quote:

I think she has a name:

cevans_40
AG
Phatbob said:

cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

Quote:

I think she has a name:

So this photo means she is part of his camp?
Phatbob
AG
cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

Quote:

I think she has a name:

So this photo means she is part of his camp?
So you are saying his camp has nothing to do with this guy? It's all lies from everyone? What, in the past behavior of Trump, leads you to believe that this has no base in reality?
Rapier108
And once again we see why Trump's die hard followers earned the name Cult45.

They are simply incapable of believing anything bad about their god king.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FL_Ag1998
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Oh wait…

Ahhh, there's the good ol' deflection we've come to know and love from the Trump followers. I knew I could count on one of you.

Trumpers shout, "Desantis followers will never vote for Trump and will doom the General election for the R's! Desantis supporters are basically Democrats in Republican clothing!!!!!"

Then a news article quotes Trump Queen Loomer literally saying they're working with Democrats to make sure Desantis never becomes President.

Trumpers shout, "Well isn't that how politics is supposed to work, you take down your opponent?!"

The hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Phatbob
AG
The mental gymnastics that it takes at this point is freaking insane. Like he's some version of Meatloaf - "He would do anything to win, but he won't do that!" Keep telling us it's all about principles and not personality...
Gigem314
AG
It's disappointing to see that, no doubt. DeSantis is my first choice. Democrats are the real enemy here.

But I am kind of curious where some of you were in 2020 when other Republicans were working with Democrats because they shared a common enemy in Trump. I have a feeling some weren't so sensitive about it like with this.

It is part of the political game, no doubt. It can also be disappointing at the same time. I also don't think it's really something to read too much into.
lb3
AG
Phatbob said:

Quote:

"He knows I'm a Trump loyalist, and I know he doesn't like Trump, and despite our differences, we have found common ground on making sure Ron DeSantis is never elected president of the United States, ever."

This is just how politics works. When I worked with various campaigns, I used Democrat operatives all the time to help help shape the narrative on primary opponents.
Phatbob
AG
Honestly it is exactly what I expect from Trump, but it's important to point this out to all those who are blindly loyal to him for reasons that are demonstrably false. If those who support him because they say the future of our country depends on it really believe that to be true, they damn sure better be making sure the reasons they think HE is the only one are actually true.
Phatbob
AG
lb3 said:

Phatbob said:

This is just how politics works. When I worked with various campaigns, I used Democrat operatives all the time to help help shape the narrative on primary opponents.

Was your goal to make sure your primary opponents could never win, even if they won the primary?
Gigem314
AG
Phatbob said:

Honestly it is exactly what I expect from Trump, but it's important to point this out to all those who are blindly loyal to him for reasons that are demonstrably false. If those who support him because they say the future of our country depends on it really believe that to be true, they damn sure better be making sure the reasons they think HE is the only one are actually true.
I don't think Trump is the only one, but I do think he's one of the few...much in large part due to the failure of the Republican establishment and DC establishment as a whole. Had they not been so abysmal in leading the country for decades, there wouldn't have been a void for Trump to come in and try to fill...and that is the truth that's lost on people who are caught up in the whole "Trump is so bad for the country REEEE!!" mindset.

There are numerous Republicans that have sold Trump out far worse than his campaign sharing notes with a Democrat to out-campaign DeSantis.
aggieforester05
AG
I really wish all of this childish infighting between Team Trump and Team DeSantis would stop. Campaign for the primary based on your policy positions and then no matter the outcome everyone right of chairman Mao should galvanize around the Republican candidate to get the corrupt Democrats out of the captains chair. We can't take another four years of this crap and a divided conservative base is going to hand the election to a corrupt dementia addled puppet for the globalists.
Jack Squat 83
AG
And educated Aggies wonder why we question how much concern Trump actually has for the country instead of his return to office. Come on, think!

The allure and addiction to reality TV might cause the end of our country. Wow, we are done.

Unlike Trump, I will pledge support and vote for him if he's the candidate even though he's not my choice.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Phatbob
AG
This is not just "out-campaigning". This is an outright stated goal of permanent destruction. We are constantly told on this board that we should not be disparaging Trump when we point out his shortcomings, because he might be the nominee. There is 1 person in this race who is out to destroy conservatives. Again, I get sick of people pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
TheBonifaceOption
aggieforester05 said:

I really wish all of this childish infighting between Team Trump and Team DeSantis would stop. Campaign for the primary based on your policy positions and then no matter the outcome everyone right of chairman Mao should galvanize around the Republican candidate to get the corrupt Democrats out of the captains chair. We can't take another four years of this crap and a divided conservative base is going to hand the election to a corrupt dementia addled puppet for the globalists.

That would be nice, but the MSM has been so loud against Trump that the spineless Republicans found a candidate that would make all the loud noises go away. Or so they think. If RDS was elected, they would still be impeaching the R in the white house, they would have daily conspiracies about pee pee tapes and overpowering secret service agents.

I can't believe how gullible people are. Especially for a "pax" they will not get.
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

Trump campaign works with the left to take out rivals
What exacty did they work to do? Nothing in there said anything but
Quote:

Loomer said they speak occasionally
LMAO!!

So, they talk occasionally. You need to modify the title of your thread from work with to talk occasionally.
texagbeliever
Phatbob said:

This is not just "out-campaigning". This is an outright stated goal of permanent destruction. We are constantly told on this board that we should not be disparaging Trump when we point out his shortcomings, because he might be the nominee. There is 1 person in this race who is out to destroy conservatives. Again, I get sick of people pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
Look it is obvious who the "DeSantis Disciples" are on this forum. Just go to the Ron v Trump thread. Many posters are tired of everything being twisted as a this is Trump's fault. If there was better discipline on bringing up topics that are actually critical and done not in a "wake up you still rednecks who probably don't have indoor plumbing tone" which is most common then you would get traction.

But as I pointed out months ago when we were getting the daily Twitter feed of Aggie93's Ron's fanboy threads, it just becomes meh.
aggie93
AG
Gigem314 said:

It's disappointing to see that, no doubt. DeSantis is my first choice. Democrats are the real enemy here.

But I am kind of curious where some of you were in 2020 when other Republicans were working with Democrats because they shared a common enemy in Trump. I have a feeling some weren't so sensitive about it like with this.

It is part of the political game, no doubt. It can also be disappointing at the same time. I also don't think it's really something to read too much into.

Well most DeSantis supporters voted for Trump so I am not sure of your point.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Phatbob
AG
You realize there is a thread at the top of the page entitled "Trump=toughest SOB Alive", right?
And for some reason a thread started a couple of days ago with a Trump haiku? There are some specific Trump narratives running around here that seem to be based on no evidence. That seems important to bring up the evidence to the contrary.
BigBrother
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Oh wait…
Wow.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Wait, you actually think "taking down" means to physically assault them?

Bwaaaaahaaa…
Science Denier
AG
Phatbob said:

Is Lara Loomer on Trumps campaign?
Trump campaign not hiring far-right activist Laura Loomer

So, someone not on Trump's campaign talks to Filipkowski, and you post that the Trump campaign works with the left to take out rivals.

There is a sign you should go to professionals to get your TDS treated.
BigBrother
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Wait, you actually think "taking down" means to physically assault them?

Bwaaaaahaaa…
No. I think your comments was HILAROUS
Gigem314
AG
Phatbob said:

It's not permanent destruction...it's petty politics. I didn't care for Trump going after Ted Cruz in 2016 either...this is the equivalent of that. People shouldn't be surprised by this. It's annoying, but not nearly as evil as you're portraying it to be.

Permanent destruction is what you see with the Dems attempting to put Trump in prison and actually screwing with our election process...with other nominees like Christie and Pence cheering it on - which is the real slap in the face to conservatives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.