Round rock isd

14,046 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by BadMoonRisin
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SuhrThang said:

I always heard that "Those who can, DO, Those who can't, TEACH"
And yet folks want these people who "can't" to council with parents about their child's mental state……..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
JohnLA762
AG
B-1 83 said:

It's a teacher's job to teach. It's not their job to inform parents about their kid's sexuality one way or another……. Can't have it both ways.

Exactly. Teachers should TEACH kids that a boy can't be a girl, and a girl can't be a boy. Regardless of feelings, reality is reality!
Agthatbuilds
B-1 83 said:

agent-maroon said:

doubledog said:

B-1 83 said:

It's a teacher's job to teach. It's not their job to inform parents about their kid's sexuality one way or another……. Can't have it both ways.
If a teacher sees signs of abuse, they are obliged to report it.
If a teacher sees evidence of a serious (mental) illness that has been left untreated, they are obliged to report it.
Frame it in the context of possible abuse suspicions due to a change in behavior and report it. Met your obligation to report and transferred that obligation to the professionals who deal with these sort of issues as their primary responsibility.

ETA - I don't think a teacher making a direct contact with the parent(s) is a good idea. Having a talk with the student's counselor would be a better place to start. It's possible that the student "comes out" to every teacher they have just to gauge their response and/or manipulate them. A counselor would be more likely to have some insight for that particular student. If that isn't a productive conversation maybe then a call to the abuse hotline would be in order. Everything in the context of concern for the student as they have issues of some kind that will most likely need some support.
I can go with this, but it is NOT the teacher's job to contact parents either way about a child's sexuality. There are people paid to do that. The same folks that scream about teachers being overpaid baby sitters that anyone could do their jobs are now saying the teacher should meet with parents about a child's sexuality and be a counselor too……..fascinating.

The **** it isn't. As a parent, I demand to know such things. It's is not the teachers role to withhold such life changing information for a parent, in fact, it's their obligation to share it with the parent.

Teacher contact parents about most behavioral issues. It is absolutely necessary that if a child comes out to a teacher, the teacher contacts the parents.

It's neither the school's or the teachers business what the sexualtity or the gender of child is. That's a private family matter and it's the duty of teacher to inform the parent of such revelation, especially if they are going to potentially undermine the parents by "affirming" it at school.

But this is bigger than that. This is a policy rooted in radical gender theory, meant to undermine a parent/child relationship. Why is the teacher asking, or promoting such discussion? Why is the topic even being discussed?
Agthatbuilds
B-1 83 said:

SuhrThang said:

And yet folks want these people who "can't" to council with parents about their child's mental state……..

I dont want their ****ign council. I want them to simply tell me there's an issue, just like they would if there is another issue.

That's it.
B-1 83
AG
BS. They are not trained counselors, and set themselves and the district up for all kinds of nasty stuff if the parent throws a fit about this teacher "intervention". You certainly have a right to know, but the school has things called counselors trained and paid to do such work.

That's it.
Bob Lee
AG
B-1 83 said:

SuhrThang said:

It doesn't take special training or a 4 year degree to know how to pick up the phone. No counseling necessary. "Hello Mrs. Jones? Sally has just confided in me that she is a boy, and she would like to be called Sal from now on."

You don't check your humanity at the door when you go to work. Why are we at the point where everyone is too stupid to know what the right thing is to do when it comes to the most basic universally agreed upon things in human history, and everyone's trying to win the "not my effing job award"?
Agthatbuilds
Fine, teacher tells the counselor, counselor contacts the parents.

I dont much care how the parents is informed, so long as they are informed. The school district having a policy of hiding such a momentous revelation is an absurd directive.

I think we can agree, the teacher doing nothing and instead immediately "affirming" the kid's new gender is the wrong course of action
Logos Stick
Agthatbuilds said:

Fine, teacher tells the counselor, counselor contacts the parents.

I dont much care how the parents is informed, so long as they are informed. The school district having a policy of hiding such a momentous revelation is an absurd directive.
Fat Black Swan
AG
B-1 83 said:

agent-maroon said:

doubledog said:

B-1 83 said:

If a teacher sees evidence of a serious (mental) illness that has been left untreated, they are obliged to report it.
Frame it in the context of possible abuse suspicions due to a change in behavior and report it. Met your obligation to report and transferred that obligation to the professionals who deal with these sort of issues as their primary responsibility.

ETA - I don't think a teacher making a direct contact with the parent(s) is a good idea. Having a talk with the student's counselor would be a better place to start. It's possible that the student "comes out" to every teacher they have just to gauge their response and/or manipulate them. A counselor would be more likely to have some insight for that particular student. If that isn't a productive conversation maybe then a call to the abuse hotline would be in order. Everything in the context of concern for the student as they have issues of some kind that will most likely need some support.
I can go with this, but it is NOT the teacher's job to contact parents either way about a child's sexuality. There are people paid to do that. The same folks that scream about teachers being overpaid baby sitters that anyone could do their jobs are now saying the teacher should meet with parents about a child's sexuality and be a counselor too……..fascinating.

What does sexuality have to do with trans? Is this the world's smallest soapbox?

It's kind of weird people think schools should intentionally conceal from parents the possibility of a condition associated with high suicidality and an average of 3 comorbidities.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Preach!
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
JB99
AG
B-1 83 said:

BS. They are not trained counselors, and set themselves and the district up for all kinds of nasty stuff if the parent throws a fit about this teacher "intervention". You certainly have a right to know, but the school has things called counselors trained and paid to do such work.

That's it.

BS. If they see signs of mental illness or abuse they are required to report it. Report it to a counselor. Report it to someone. They don't need to counsel anyone, just Report it.

Also, they better not be calling the student by their preferred pronoun or calling them by a different name or any other gender affirming BS.
Agthatbuilds
Who the **** is asking for a teacher to be a counselor? This strawman is a silly.

We're asking them to tell parents if their child tell them they are a different gender. That's it
B-1 83
AG
Fat Black Swan said:

B-1 83 said:

agent-maroon said:

doubledog said:

B-1 83 said:

What does sexuality have to do with trans? Is this the world's smallest soapbox?

It's kind of weird people think schools should intentionally conceal from parents the possibility of a condition associated with high suicidality and an average of 3 comorbidities.
Where did I say the school should intentionally conceal it? Nowhere. It's not the teacher's job. There are people paid and trained to do just this thing.
Agthatbuilds

Here's the training. It includes not telling parents and immediately affirming the new gender. Notice it doesn't say anything about contacting a counselor.

This is for teachers, not counselors. This is the defacto policy of round rock isd.
agent-maroon
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Who the **** is asking for a teacher to be a counselor? This strawman is a silly.

We're asking them to tell parents if their child tell them they are a different gender. That's it
This seems contradictory to me. "It's not six, it's a half-dozen" kind of statement.

Consider that the parent(s) might be aware and are just waiting for a teacher to make a call so that they can play the "he said she said" game for some victimhood social justice points. We've all been witness to some drama queen going off on someone with good intentions that's just trying to help. We've got soros DA's all over the country trying to imprison people for doing the right thing. This would be no different IMO
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agthatbuilds
I dont think this appeal to an extreme should negate a policy of informing parents
Martin Cash
AG
Wilco went from conservative stronghold to liberal cesspool with lightning speed.
Texas Tea
AG
B-1 83 said:

That's it.
What part of "you should not out trans students to other students or staff members" do you not understand? I assume counselors are considered staff so you're arguing for a solution that isn't permissible under their own policy. Besides, it seems some of you have a different view of the typical school counselor's role than I do. Perhaps that's just me and another topic altogether.

Regardless, there are scenarios where it might make sense for the teacher to contact the parent directly and some where it wouldn't. To prevent them from doing it at all seems to hamstring the teachers unnecessarily, unless this rule wasn't implemented to protect kids but meant to be a deliberate thumb in the eye to conservative parents.
B-1 83
AG
I have drawn a distinct difference between an individual teacher vs trained school personnel in this matter. I will move my goalposts ever so slightly in that counselors most certainly do have an obligation to contact parents despite what Round Rock ISD says in this case.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

What part of "you should not out trans students to other students or staff members" do you not understand?
Whoa... somehow missed the bolded "staff members" part of the directive. Yeah, that's BS. Someone needs to tell the parent(s) but it shouldn't be a teacher.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Some of the dumbest **** out there. We don't know more than the parents do.
inconvenient truth
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

When you're the one doing the grooming, yes you do.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
inconvenient truth said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

When some are doing the grooming, yes they do.

Tanya 93
The problem with this is the teacher is the one adult they trust, it will destroy the kid if their confidence is broken.

But I don't see a situation where a kid comes out as trans to a teacher but no one else. Just doesn't make sense. The boy believes he is a girl, but isn't going to live as one yet?

Also, what if the teacher does tell the parents and the child denied it? Do the parents then accuse the teacher of grooming and they are suspended or not renewed?

Tell the counselor. That is the only answer.
AgGrad99
AG
B-1 83 said:

It's a teachers job to teach, not walk a child through a sexual transition/confusion.

This is way too much responsibility for a teacher, and frankly not a fair expectation of them.

And that's before you even discuss the repercussions from the family/parents, who actually are responsible for the student.

Logos Stick
No one has suggested forcing it on teachers.
AgGrad99
AG
Logos Stick said:

??
'Don't tell anyone else, not even the parents...the student trusts you...'

What else does it do??
Logos Stick
AgGrad99 said:

Logos Stick said:

??
'Don't tell anyone else, not even the parents...the student trusts you...'

What else does it do??

So you believe there should be no policy preventing teachers from sharing that info with parents?

If so, we agree.

I thought you opposed it.
AgGrad99
Bob Lee
AG
Tanya 93 said:

The problem with this is the teacher is the one adult they trust, it will destroy the kid if their confidence is broken.

But I don't see a situation where a kid comes out as trans to a teacher but no one else. Just doesn't make sense. The boy believes he is a girl, but isn't going to live as one yet?

Also, what if the teacher does tell the parents and the child denied it? Do the parents then accuse the teacher of grooming and they are suspended or not renewed?

Tell the counselor. That is the only answer.

So then the kid has a wrong and unhealthy perception of the nature of the relationship between themselves and their teacher, and they need to be corrected. Students aren't entitled to confidentiality from their teachers. We understood this really well when I was a student. Feeling betrayed by my teacher for telling my parents something I said to them would have been unfathomable when I was in school. Teachers are not confidants.

My kids can trust me to always do what I think is the best thing for them in every situation.

There's no betrayal, because they're not entitled to secrecy from me if, for example, they tell me something I think my wife should know about.
agent-maroon
AG
This policy will go away the first time a school district has to pay out an 8-figure settlement because the parent came home to find their dead son hanging from a shower head wearing nothing but a bra & panties next to a suicide note thanking the teacher for their support and for keeping it confidential from the parent.
aTmAg
AG
B-1 83 said:

agent-maroon said:

doubledog said:

B-1 83 said:

You think teachers need a raise to make a phone call?
ShaggySLC
AgGrad99 said:

B-1 83 said:

It's a teachers job to teach, not walk a child through a sexual transition/confusion.

This is way too much responsibility for a teacher, and frankly not a fair expectation of them.

And that's before you even discuss the repercussions from the family/parents, who actually are responsible for the student.

The teachers that are part of the religion thinks it's their responsibility it seems likes.
Athanasius
AG
Get your kids out of public schools.
Ags4DaWin
Mule_lx said:

I was going to say that we needed more context and to lower your pitchforks. The don't tell another staff member bothers me though.

If this was teacher training, I agree. Not a teacher role or responsibility. They're not trained and have no experience. They don't have any clue about the home life. I believe a teacher should be free to discuss it with a counselor though.

Counselors and trained and experienced. They have access to much more info about the kid and their home life. The counselor should make the call not the teacher.

And as we have learned from experience the school counselors are totally unbiased and have not been indoctrinated by DEI/lbgtqabxdefg theory at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.