OFFICIAL ****Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis*** thread...

425,785 Views | 9100 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by astros4545
FireAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LarryElder said:

all that campaign money and Destantis still getting crushed in the polls...

Trump tops DeSantis by 37 points in new NYT/Siena poll | The Hill
Quote:

Sixty-five percent of Republicans who consider themselves "very conservative" also said they support Trump, while DeSantis secured support from only 15 percent of them, according to the survey.
More evidence to my point...DeSantis simply isn't resonating with folks, and he needs to find a way to break through the Trump noise barrier...

DeSantis is a staunch conservative...so why aren't more staunch conservatives flocking to his campaign?

The guy needs to grab some headlines away from Trump...
BigRobSA
FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

Sixty-five percent of Republicans who consider themselves "very conservative" also said they support Trump, while DeSantis secured support from only 15 percent of them, according to the survey.
More evidence to my point...DeSantis simply isn't resonating with folks, and he needs to find a way to break through the Trump noise barrier...

DeSantis is a staunch conservative...so why aren't more staunch conservatives flocking to his campaign?

They're not "very conservative" if they actually support Trump.

That's like being "very feminist" and supporting Bruce Jenner.
Rapier108
Nothing DeSantis does is good enough for you and nothing he can do would be good enough. You have made that abundantly clear on this thread and others.

Your shtick of trying to pretend to be open minded when you're only voting for Trump is old and tired.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FireAg
AG
Rapier108 said:

Nothing DeSantis does is good enough for you and nothing he can do would be good enough. You have made that abundantly clear on this thread and others.

Your shtick of trying to pretend to be open minded when you're only voting for Trump is old and tired.
Your personal attacks against me continue to be unwarranted...

This is a discussion forum, and as such, we should be open to respectful conversation from both sides...

This isn't "schtick", so please don't accuse me of doing such...and please do not tell me what I "pretend" to be because you don't know me...

I am making a valid point...it is a point that I just backed up with actual data...I'm sorry that offends you...
FireAg
AG
BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

Is it that or is it they dimply don't know enough about RD to change their opinions of his level of conservatism vs that of Trump?

RD needs to get his message through the Trump noise barrier...
Phatbob
AG
FireAg said:

BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

Is it that or is it they dimply don't know enough about RD to change their opinions of his level of conservatism vs that of Trump?

When people have their fingers in their ears going "LALALALALALALA" and staring at Trump, the only thing you can really do is be there when they suddenly run out of breath. Then after they realize they can't justify it any more, THEN they will move over.

The answer is patience
FireAg
AG
Phatbob said:

FireAg said:

BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

When people have their fingers in their ears going "LALALALALALALA" and staring at Trump, the only thing you can really do is be there when they suddenly run out of breath. Then after they realize they can't justify it any more, THEN they will move over.

The answer is patience
Perhaps you are correct...I guess we shall see in the end...

But the clock is ticking, and the gap is growing...

LarryElder
FireAg said:

Rapier108 said:

Your personal attacks against me continue to be unwarranted...

This is a discussion forum, and as such, we should be open to respectful conversation from both sides...

This isn't "schtick", so please don't accuse me of doing such...and please do not tell me what I "pretend" to be because you don't know me...

I am making a valid point...it is a point that I just backed up with actual data...I'm sorry that offends you...
you wont get a serious response from that poster its, cult45, trump fans are dumb, etc, etc its really old and tired at this point.
J. Walter Weatherman
FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

How many more ways can people explain to you that polls before any debates and 6 months from the primaries don't mean anything before you stop concern trolling about them? Especially when the media needs Trump to be the nominee?
Phatbob
AG
LarryElder said:

you wont get a serious response from that poster its, cult45, trump fans are dumb, etc, etc its really old and tired at this point.
/snicker
FireAg
AG
At 47 years old, I'm well aware of how polls work…thank you…

It's not any one poll that interests me at this point in the process…but I do believe trends mean something even this far out…

And the trend shows a fairly consistently growing gap between Trump and DeSantis in the last 5-6 months..

People dismissed what the polling was showing prior to May 24 saying it was meaningless because RD hadn't even officially thrown his hat in the ring yet…

Well since throwing his hat in the ring, the polling gap between RD and Trump has grown…and that is based on an average of multiple polls…

I believe that is a problem for RD…

Folks are free to form their own opinions, but the 30,000' view doesn't look positive for RD right now…

It is what it is…
Phatbob
AG
FireAg said:

At 47 years old, I'm well aware of how polls work…thank you…

It's not any one poll that interests me at this point in the process…but I do believe trends mean something even this far out…

And the trend shows a fairly consistently growing gap between Trump and DeSantis in the last 5-6 months..

People dismissed what the polling was showing prior to May 24 saying it was meaningless because RD hadn't even officially thrown his hat in the ring yet…

Well since throwing his hat in the ring, the polling gap between RD and Trump has grown…and that is based on an average of multiple polls…

I believe that is a problem for RD…

Folks are free to form their own opinions, but the 30,000' view doesn't look positive for RD right now…

It is what it is…
Then I think you are looking in the wrong place. Ron is starting to hit his stride. He's been doing better and better in his outings, doing great interviews, answering tough questions. That may not show up in whatever polls are being thrown around. I know that people keep telling you the polls are meaningless at this point, but not only are they meaningless, I don't know really how accurate they really are, especially considering how some political activists use them as weapons. Right now, that is the only weapon Trump has that has any ammo, so my initial reaction is distrust. I obviously could be wrong, but that is my gut.
FireAg
AG
Well, I am specifically using the 538 conglomerate, which consequently, also shows Biden likely defeating Trump in a head-to-head…so I'm not sure there is any real bias there…They also show that RD likely beats Biden in a head-to-head, so I think the polling averages are consistent with those of you who argue "Trump can't beat Biden but RD can"…

After getting egg on their face in 2016, 538 revamped their approach…

What their polling averages show over time is that RD did get a bit of a bump in the polls when he entered the race in late May, and the gap did indeed shrink marginally, but since then, it has widened beyond what it was before he threw his hat in the ring…

Right now, I don't think RD will be the R nominee, and the trend is getting worse…

I also don't think Trump beats Biden in the general, but to be fair, that gap has stayed fairly flat comparatively…

The problem is if RD can't get past Trump in the primary, how he'd likely fair against Biden in the general is a moot point…and frankly, that's the problem as I see it…but I didn't form this opinion off of a gut feel…I'm using data averages from a reputable source…

I can appreciate the fact that you believe that RD is hitting his stride and finding his voice…but you do have a bias there because you are all in on RD…

If the polling gap starts to narrow again, I will be the first one to jump on here and agree with you that he is gaining steam and finding his voice and breaking through the Trump noise…

But it simply isn't what's happening at the moment…
TRM
AG
TRM
AG
More retail politics.
Phatbob
AG
TRM said:

More retail politics.

Not meaning to trigger anyone, but he does look a lot like Jimbo in that pic. Is that why so many people here have a problem with him? That is the only thing I can figure...
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

Well, I am specifically using the 538 conglomerate, which consequently, also shows Biden likely defeating Trump in a head-to-head…so I'm not sure there is any real bias there…They also show that RD likely beats Biden in a head-to-head, so I think the polling averages are consistent with those of you who argue "Trump can't beat Biden but RD can"…

What their polling averages show over time is that RD did get a bit of a bump in the polls when he entered the race in late May, and the gap did indeed shrink marginally, but since then, it has widened beyond what it was before he threw his hat in the ring…

Right now, I don't think RD will be the R nominee, and the trend is getting worse…

I also don't think Trump beats Biden in the general, but to be fair, that gap has stayed fairly flat comparatively…

The problem is if RD can't get past Trump in the primary, how he'd likely fair against Biden in the general is a moot point…and frankly, that's the problem as I see it…but I didn't form this opinion off of a gut feel…I'm using data averages from a reputable source…

I can appreciate the fact that you believe that RD is hitting his stride and finding his voice…but you do have a bias there because you are all in on RD…

If the polling gap starts to narrow again, I will be the first one to jump on here and agree with you that he is gaining steam and finding his voice and breaking through the Trump noise…

The problem is you are obsessed with the polls and if you have followed campaigns historically you should understand that they are just a data point among many at this stage.

Want an example? DeSantis has had a great week filled with excellent interviews and news campaign wise. Good luck finding it covered on regular news and it's a few stories back on GOP political shows. Why? It's 6 months from Iowa and there are just far more interesting stories. Now you can say DeSantis has to break through but that's very unlikely. People aren't going to pay attention until Iowa is close and Nationally people won't pay attention until after Iowa.

I expect you will continue to post national polls with average breakdowns over and over but it just shows me you either are pushing an agenda or you're new to the game.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
YokelRidesAgain
AG
FireAg said:

A) What are you talking about? I can't find any polls on the first page of the 538 website, such as it is now, that have DeSantis leading Biden. RCP, which may have methodological problems but is a lot easier to follow, has DeSantis down further than Trump against Biden (-2.0 vs. -0.9).

B) It should be noted that Nate Silver's contract with Disney was not renewed, and he left as of July 1, with the intellectual property to his election models firmly in his possession.

538 does not appear to be modeling general election matchups at all, as of this time. Which they have never done until much later in the game.

Quote:

C) LOL, no they did not. For anyone who was paying attention, Nate Silver was quite loudly telling anyone who bothered to listen that Trump absolutely was in range of winning the 2016 election if there was a fairly normal polling error. Which there was.

You have to fundamentally misunderstand what 538 was trying to do to be crowing about "Nate got it WRONG!" in 2016. The models, fundamentally, are polling aggregates that attempt to account for the inherent uncertainty of polling. The polls clearly said Hillary was going to win in 2016, and they turned out to be wrong. Silver had a 25-30% chance of that happening, to the end, while his rivals, such as Nate Cohn at the NYT or Sam Wang at Princeton had the chances of a Hillary victory at 90%+ or (LOL) 99%+.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Banned
Phatbob said:

TRM said:

More retail politics.

Not meaning to trigger anyone, but he does look a lot like Jimbo in that pic. Is that why so many people here have a problem with him? That is the only thing I can figure...

He's a lefty!?!?!? NO VOTE FROM ME

But seriously, that's a young Jimbo profile shot. Eerily similar.
FireAg
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

The problem is you are obsessed with the polls and if you have followed campaigns historically you should understand that they are just a data point among many at this stage.

Want an example? DeSantis has had a great week filled with excellent interviews and news campaign wise. Good luck finding it covered on regular news and it's a few stories back on GOP political shows. Why? It's 6 months from Iowa and there are just far more interesting stories. Now you can say DeSantis has to break through but that's very unlikely. People aren't going to pay attention until Iowa is close and Nationally people won't pay attention until after Iowa.

I expect you will continue to post national polls with average breakdowns over and over but it just shows me you either are pushing an agenda or you're new to the game.
Well your assumptions about me are dead wrong, but I do appreciate that you are one of the few here who can express their opinions respectfully...

My only counter to saying that "it's just a data point" is that, statistically, it really isn't because those "data points" in the 538 conglomerate averages actually use multiple data points (in this case, polling results on a given day covering a given period of time prior to that polling date), so they really are the best empirical tool we have available to gain a sense of "where things stand" in the political campaign landscape today, and how they have evolved to this point over the current campaign season...

Because it's an average, I think it is a good representation of what things look like today...

Does that mean they can't evolve and show a tighter gap between Trump and DeSantis in the coming weeks? Of course not, and I will happily point that out should that indeed be what happens... However, what has grabbed my attention in recent weeks is the widening of the gap between the two... It narrowed slightly right after the DeSantis announcement on May 24th, but the closest the gap has been since May 24th is Trump +26.4% on June 24th...as of today, it's Trump +37.8...On June 1, one week after the DeSantis official announcement, the gap was Trump +29.5%..All of that tells me that it took about 2.5-3-weeks for the DeSantis announcement to bake into the polls, and while it helped a little, any momentum from that has disappeared and then some...

The closest the two have polled since Jan 1, 2023 has been Trump +1.9% on Jan 7, 2023...well before DeSantis officially entered the race...

At this point, currently, it looks to me like the R-primary electorate, in general, simply has not been blown away by DeSantis and/or (and I personally think it's the "or") the constant Trump media coverage (whether good, bad, or hideous) is drowning out DeSantis... Could a good first debate showing by DeSantis help boost him? Absolutely... However, based on past precedent, I believe the headline that will win the day after that first debate will be "Trump didn't show" as opposed to "DeSantis is a badass"... But I absolutely could be wrong...

At this point, the Trump inertia just seems impenetrable... I am starting to think that for DeSantis to have a truly legit shot at the R-nomination, something is going to have to happen to Trump that absolutely prevents him from being on the primary ballot...
BigRobSA
FireAg said:

BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

Assuming they have an IQ above their shoe size, all they have to do is use AL Gore's intertron and Google his record.
FireAg
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

A) What are you talking about? I can't find any polls on the first page of the 538 website, such as it is now, that have DeSantis leading Biden. RCP, which may have methodological problems but is a lot easier to follow, has DeSantis down further than Trump against Biden (-2.0 vs. -0.9).

You are correct, and I stand corrected...for awhile they did, but in recent weeks, that trend has definitely changed (meaning Trump is now showing to be polling better against Biden head-to-head than he had been, and better than DeSantis polls vs. Biden head-to-head)...

I honestly stopped looking at the general election polls because, after seeing the Trump vs. DeSantis averages, what DeSantis *might* do against Biden in the general election is a completely moot point if he can't win the R nomination... But I do agree with you...right now Trump is showing stronger against Biden than he had been...

Regardless, I don't think that's the argument to focus on...for me, RD's ability to get the R nomination is the matter at hand, and it is continuing to trend in the wrong direction...for now...
FireAg
AG
BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

BigRobSA said:

FireAg said:

LarryElder said:

Quote:

Assuming they have an IQ above their shoe size, all they have to do is use AL Gore's intertron and Google his record.
Whether you like it or not, and I think this is a real testament to our society's demise, the average American, sadly, cares more about the current standings on "The Voice" than they do about listening to a politician's ideas of how to make our country better...

Translation...you can call them dumb...but if you can't find a way to break through to them and make them care about what your guy is saying, it doesn't matter...they still get to vote...
GeorgiAg
AG

Old May Banker
AG
Such a f'ing clown.
TRM
AG
There is some poor sampling in some of the polls in their average. Look at the crosstabs of the Harvard-Harris poll for example.
Rapier108
GeorgiAg said:

Red meat for his base since other than political junkies, no one pays attention to his dribble on unTruth Social.

He has to keep up the hatred for DeSantis.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

Well your assumptions about me are dead wrong, but I do appreciate that you are one of the few here who can express their opinions respectfully...

My only counter to saying that "it's just a data point" is that, statistically, it really isn't because those "data points" in the 538 conglomerate averages actually use multiple data points (in this case, polling results on a given day covering a given period of time prior to that polling date), so they really are the best empirical tool we have available to gain a sense of "where things stand" in the political campaign landscape today, and how they have evolved to this point over the current campaign season...

Because it's an average, I think it is a good representation of what things look like today...

Does that mean they can't evolve and show a tighter gap between Trump and DeSantis in the coming weeks? Of course not, and I will happily point that out should that indeed be what happens... However, what has grabbed my attention in recent weeks is the widening of the gap between the two... It narrowed slightly right after the DeSantis announcement on May 24th, but the closest the gap has been since May 24th is Trump +26.4% on June 24th...as of today, it's Trump +37.8...On June 1, one week after the DeSantis official announcement, the gap was Trump +29.5%..All of that tells me that it took about 2.5-3-weeks for the DeSantis announcement to bake into the polls, and while it helped a little, any momentum from that has disappeared and then some...

The closest the two have polled since Jan 1, 2023 has been Trump +1.9% on Jan 7, 2023...well before DeSantis officially entered the race...

At this point, currently, it looks to me like the R-primary electorate, in general, simply has not been blown away by DeSantis and/or (and I personally think it's the "or") the constant Trump media coverage (whether good, bad, or hideous) is drowning out DeSantis... Could a good first debate showing by DeSantis help boost him? Absolutely... However, based on past precedent, I believe the headline that will win the day after that first debate will be "Trump didn't show" as opposed to "DeSantis is a badass"... But I absolutely could be wrong...

At this point, the Trump inertia just seems impenetrable... I am starting to think that for DeSantis to have a truly legit shot at the R-nomination, something is going to have to happen to Trump that absolutely prevents him from being on the primary ballot...
The polls are a data point. Putting multiple polls together, all of the same or lesser quality, is the same data point.

Money matters. Ground game matters. Timing matters. Endorsements on the ground level matter in places like Iowa and NH. Those are also data points. Performance in debates will be another. Performance in interviews is another.

All of it is pretty worthless until the Iowa caucus is the real "point" though. Remember Ted Cruz was behind by 11 points in January in the Iowa Caucus in '16 and beat Trump solidly. Then the race shifted. Cruz eventually lost but he was very much in the game.

So keep showing different polls saying the same data point and try and call them different if you like but it only shows you aren't listening. Trump may well win but it won't be because he was up big in polls in Late July/Early August.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Red meat for his base since other than political junkies, no one pays attention to his dribble on unTruth Social.

Speaking of, today's descent into the mind of Trump:

Ronald Reagan
Old May Banker
AG
Trump's covid takes and rants should absolutely turn off conservatives that aren't lying to themselves.
Rapier108
aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

He's a lying sack of male bovine excrement.

Only 1 poll has him leading Biden, a few have it close, and that is the Harvard-Harris poll which pretty much every analyst has dismissed as very flawed. Even his own bought and paid for polls have him losing to Biden. Most polls have DeSantis ahead or tied with Biden, especially in the swing states which is what really matters. Trump is down to Biden in all of them.

As for the WuFlu stuff, lying out his ass as well by talking about March-May of 2020 and acting like it went on through 2022.
Rapier108
Old May Banker said:

Trump's covid takes and rants should absolutely turn off conservatives that aren't lying to themselves.
It should, but it doesn't. Cult45 accepts anything Trump says as true even when there are piles of evidence to the contrary.
Dimebag Darrell
aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

It's kind of sad...kind of disturbing. Not just that the old man is all over the place and so illogical and inconsistent. But that so many people are so head over heels for him that they cannot see it.

It truly is a cult. Led by a geriatric man on steroids.
J. Walter Weatherman
Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Yep. And he will never post it to twitter because he knows he'll get Community Notes'd to death.
aggie93
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

It's kind of sad...kind of disturbing. Not just that the old man is all over the place and so illogical and inconsistent. But that so many people are so head over heels for him that they cannot see it.

It truly is a cult. Led by a geriatric man on steroids.
Careful, don't use the "c" word and you must show respect to Trump for all the wonderful things he did before you make any mild criticisms. Those are the rules we have been told.

Ronald Reagan
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.