Gun control and mass shootings

22,121 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Goro Majima
Matt Hooper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you agree the Peoples right to keep and bear arms is an individual right and not a collective right of a militia?

I realize there are many who don't like the 2nd amendment and want it changed, or more likely eliminated. There is a process for that - a Constitutional Amendment, which those adversarial or the 2nd amendment (and arguably the bill of rights more broadly) ignore.

Hooper Drives the Boat
SteveA
AG
I have never been against the amendment. I own a gun. I do, however would be lying if I didn't think that the intent has been misrepresented. But I want to make it much harder for someone to get the types of arms that were used yesterday.
Old May Banker
AG
Quote:

I own a gun

That's cute.

In the same vein as "I have a black friend"

Lol.
JohnLA762
AG
SteveA said:

I have never been against the amendment. I own a gun. I do, however would be lying if I didn't think that the intent has been misrepresented. But I want to make it much harder for someone to get the types of arms that were used yesterday.

In your opinion, what is the "intent" of the 2nd amendment?
SteveA
AG
Ok. I have black friends too.
Burnsey
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

That's why pistols are almost never used.

Oh....wait, they're the #1 weapon of choice in crimes. Nevermind.

Glad your kids are safe, but don't let emotions cloud your judgement.
They are not the #1 choice of weapons in these kinds of incidents.
How the hell do you know what weapon mass murders most prefer?
The_Desert_Fox
JohnLA762 said:

SteveA said:

In your opinion, what is the "intent" of the 2nd amendment?

If he mentions some sporting purpose he needs to be permabanned from F16.
JamesBREI06
AG
Burnsey said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

That's why pistols are almost never used.

Oh....wait, they're the #1 weapon of choice in crimes. Nevermind.

Glad your kids are safe, but don't let emotions cloud your judgement.
They are not the #1 choice of weapons in these kinds of incidents.
How the hell do you know what weapon mass murders most prefer?

We know because gangs violence is included and they use handguns primarily.
SteveA
AG
My hold up is the 'well regulated' part. There is nothing well regulated about gun ownership. But again, I don't care what you have. I want it harder for these mass shooters to get this stuff.
JohnLA762
AG
SteveA said:

My hold up is the 'well regulated' part. There is nothing well regulated about gun ownership. But again, I don't care what you have. I want it harder for these mass shooters to get this stuff.

You said that the "intent" has been misrepresented. Answer the question.
Matt Hooper
AG
No to be argumentative, but I don't know what you typed means. Do you think the 2nd amendment documents an individual's right to keep and bear arms or not?

I only ask because it is hard to have a conversation if there is no common understanding of such a basic starting point.

Hooper Drives the Boat
Burnsey
AG
Militia members provided their own firearms, Just thought should know some facts.
The_Desert_Fox
SteveA said:

Are you doing your part to be well regulated? Are you in shape to fight? Are you training regularly with your gun? Are you diligently carrying when you are out in public?

Im sure that I want American adults as well regulated just as much as you do.
SteveA
AG
I think the intent was to bear arms in a well regulated militia.key being well regulated. Meaning they should have training. Meaning that if the break crazy, someone will be there to do something about it.
Old May Banker
AG
The_Desert_Fox said:

SteveA said:

Are you doing your part to be well regulated? Are you in shape to fight? Are you training regularly with your gun? Are you diligently carrying when you are out in public?

Im sure that I want American adults as well regulated just as much as you do.
Old May Banker
AG
The intent was clear... because people may at some point need to band together as a "militia" to fight tyranny, our right to keep arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
Smittyfubar
AG
SteveA said:

I see that as in the need of a well regulated militia, you have the already armed citizens to put it together. I don't see it as a WRM is a permanent fixture.
JohnLA762
AG
SteveA said:

I think the intent was to bear arms in a well regulated militia.key being well regulated. Meaning they should have training. Meaning that if the break crazy, someone will be there to do something about it.

I don't think you understand the meaning of well regulated in that context.
dude95
AG
PascalsWager said:

Liberals are wrong on the gun issue.

Conservatives are ALSO wrong on the gun issue.

Guns are not a problem. But people with guns are also not a real problem. Even bad guys with guns are barely a problem.

You're not going to die in a mass shooting. Your kid isn't going to die in a mass shooting as school. You're not ever going to be shot at. Knock on wood if you want, but the probabilities are extremely low. So low that other things of such low probabilities you don't even think about much less prepare for. You can live your ENTIRE life in America without even seeing a gun outside of it being attached to a cop's hip.

Guns are an irrelevancy in America. Outside some niche areas and situations. Stop trying to fix problems that don't exist. Its not the guns, its not the mental health, its not the godlessness, its NOTHING.
According to the New England Journal of Health, firearm related injury is the number 1 cause of death for kids in America. No - did not say mass shooting. Not even homicide. Just firearm related injury.

Every other cause of death, there is either significant regulation (motor vehicle incident, drug overdose), a disease, or drowning/fire or burns.

For some reason, if we can regulate danger in these major areas we do. We require drivers license, tests, patrolmen watching highways giving out tickets. We require pill bottles to be child-proof for everyone, we require prescriptions for medicine that might be dangerous.

I actually agree with you that the chances of your child dying in mass murder by unknown assailant is low. I am not advocating guns to be banned. I do think putting the same effort at regulating guns as we do pill bottles can be made better for the safety of all.
tk for tu juan

Timestamps are in the comments section
9:55 Beginning of discussion
39:17 Beginning of demo shooting 1911 with extended mag, AR-15, and M1 Carbine
The_Desert_Fox
Which one of these things you mentioned is protected by a constitutional amendment (hint: it's pretty high on the list), and which things are not?

Get cracking on amending the constitution and get back with us. Then we discuss some serious restrictions.
SteveA
AG
Let's see. Yes, I am in shape to fight. I do not regularly carry. I font go to the range very often these days.

I'm happy to be wrong about the well regulated part. Again, not trying to strip you of your rights. Just want it harder to get the big stuff.
Gunny456
AG
Semi Auto rifles with detachable magazines have been around since the 1970's. They just weren't painted black and had traditional wood stocks. We carried them to high school in our pick ups and cars and went shooting and hunting with them.
There was never a mass shooting at a school.
They were easier to purchase and have.
So what has changed? Pretty simple to me....
The people and there perception of right vs wrong, the disrespect for lives and other humans, increased decline and not believing in God and his laws and a general degradation of decency and integrity and honor.
We will never legislate our way to those things above or morality.
Wake up please and grasp that and quit trying to think we are going to fix this sick society by taking one mechanical piece of metal out of the picture. Damn.
Isosceles_Kramer
This dude is incredible! Love his videos, content, messages, etc. He is a treasure
The_Desert_Fox
SteveA said:

Let's see. Yes, I am in shape to fight. I do not regularly carry. I font go to the range very often these days.

I'm happy to be wrong about the well regulated part. Again, not trying to strip you of your rights. Just want it harder to get the big stuff.

Constitutional amendment. This is what you are seeking. Until then protect yourself and quit bleeding about scary black guns.

Watch this video:

I recommend you start carrying something like the no compromise surprise, every time you leave your home.
fire09
AG
Are you suggesting purchase of firearms aren't regulated already?
JohnLA762
AG
SteveA said:

By making it harder for law abiding citizens to get "the big stuff" is, in fact, stripping them of their rights…
SteveA
AG
No
dude95
AG
The_Desert_Fox said:

Which one of these things you mentioned is protected by a constitutional amendment (hint: it's pretty high on the list), and which things are not?

Get cracking on amending the constitution and get back with us. Then we discuss some serious restrictions.
So you can sell fully automatic guns with 20 round mags to 12 year olds? Are any laws about this against the 2nd amendment? Are laws against possession of flame throwers or even nuclear weapons against the 2nds amendment.

We regulate guns/weapons plenty. I agree banning guns would need an amendment.
SteveA
AG
I understand that. Is making it harder, not impossible not something you would trade if it made a difference?
Psycho Bunny
dude95 said:

PascalsWager said:

Guns are not a problem. But people with guns are also not a real problem. Even bad guys with guns are barely a problem.

You're not going to die in a mass shooting. Your kid isn't going to die in a mass shooting as school. You're not ever going to be shot at. Knock on wood if you want, but the probabilities are extremely low. So low that other things of such low probabilities you don't even think about much less prepare for. You can live your ENTIRE life in America without even seeing a gun outside of it being attached to a cop's hip.

Guns are an irrelevancy in America. Outside some niche areas and situations. Stop trying to fix problems that don't exist. Its not the guns, its not the mental health, its not the godlessness, its NOTHING.
According to the New England Journal of Health, firearm related injury is the number 1 cause of death for kids in America. No - did not say mass shooting. Not even homicide. Just firearm related injury.

Every other cause of death, there is either significant regulation (motor vehicle incident, drug overdose), a disease, or drowning/fire or burns.

For some reason, if we can regulate danger in these major areas we do. We require drivers license, tests, patrolmen watching highways giving out tickets. We require pill bottles to be child-proof for everyone, we require prescriptions for medicine that might be dangerous.

I actually agree with you that the chances of your child dying in mass murder by unknown assailant is low. I am not advocating guns to be banned. I do think putting the same effort at regulating guns as we do pill bottles can be made better for the safety of all.
I can name 5 locations in Houston to get pain killers. You really think laws have stopped the black market on medication. I drive over 90 into work every day, never see or pass a cop car. If I need a throw down gun, I know a few places to go to get one. Crazy part, I've arrested this guy 3 times on illegal firearm sells, only does about 2 years state jail and back on the streets. Harris County Judges for you.

If people want something you can find it. Need a fake passport or ID try the Aldine flee markets. DL's look like the real deal until you scan it. And don't get me started on the dark web. Everything from underage girls to hire hitmen.
AggiePetro07
AG
SteveA said:

I understand that. Is making it harder, not impossible not something you would trade if it made a difference?

Demonstrate how it would make a difference.
Gunny456
AG
Please research how many gun laws are on the books. Let's enforce what we have and see how that works. Start by putting our POTUS son in prison for lying on a federal document to buy a gun.... AS THE LAW is written Right now.
Then we can do the same MORE.
dude95
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

dude95 said:

PascalsWager said:

I can name 5 locations in Houston to get pain killers. You really think laws have stopped the black market on medication. I drive over 90 into work every day, never see or pass a cop car. If I need a throw down gun, I know a few places to go to get one. Crazy part, I've arrested this guy 3 times on illegal firearm sells, only does about 2 years state jail and back on the streets. Harris County Judges for you.

If people want something you can find it. Need a fake passport or ID try the Aldine flee markets. DL's look like the real deal until you scan it. And don't get me started on the dark web. Everything from underage girls to hire hitmen.
Are you saying we shouldn't have laws or regulations about all of those things you listed? Are laws all pointless?
JamesBREI06
AG
dude95 said:

PascalsWager said:

We yeah… because kids are supposed to die. Once again this is just a statistics game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.