Gun control and mass shootings

22,126 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Goro Majima
deddog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

There's a lot we can go.

Cops in schools.
Stop making schools "gun free" zones
Stop illegals at our borders
Make sure bad guys actually stay in prison
Prosecute people who lie on their background checks when purchasing a firearm.

These are easy things to do. Instead, all you hear about is making it harder for people already following the law.
The reason to me is simple.

The aim isn't to stop school killings.
It's to disarm lawful abiding citizens.
I agree with all of that. And I don't want to disarm law abiding citizens. Just the ****heads. But how can we disarm the ****heads?

There has been evil on this earth from the time of Cain and Abel. You cannot regulate evil.
You need strong men (and women) to fight it. And you need to give them the best means possible to do it.
FIDO_Ags
I've been clear that civilians and cops don't need them so not sure what you're inferring. I can't control what bad guys do so I don't worry about. Pretty simple really.
Smittyfubar
AG
FIDO_Ags said:

I've been clear that civilians and cops don't need them so not sure what you're inferring. I can't control what bad guys do so I don't worry about. Pretty simple really.

So if civilians and cops don't need them, what do they do when they come across a criminals with semi autos and 100 round mags, are they supposed to just use harsh language? Oh wait, that offends the libs too.
HarryJ33tamu
FIDO_Ags said:

What a moronic take. Cops don't need high capacity mags?

You don't need a car that can go over 65. Should we ban those too?
Rattler12
FIDO_Ags said:

The logic train has left the station.......and you missed it . Apparently you think bringing a knife to a gun fight is the logical thing to do
Jock 07
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

So if civilians and cops don't need them, what do they do when they come across a criminals with semi autos and 100 round mags, are they supposed to just use harsh language? Oh wait, that offends the libs too.

it Insane that someone presumably went to the same school as me that fails to grasp the simplest of logic.

I seriously hope he's just simply trolling but I'm afraid he actually believes this drivel.
FIDO_Ags
Not sure harsh language will do much, but pistols and shotguns work quite well.
Smittyfubar
AG
Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

it Insane that someone presumably went to the same school as me that fails to grasp the simplest of logic.

I seriously hope he's just simply trolling but I'm afraid he actually believes this drivel.

What simplelist logic? That I don't think cops and civilians should, as said by Rattler said, bring a knife too a gun fight?
FIDO_Ags
Stay topic Harry, this about guns, not cars. Please don't derail this thread.
Psycho Bunny
Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

No... I'm afraid he's actually very serious. liberalism is truly a mental disorder.
Jock 07
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

What simplelist logic? That I don't think cops and civilians should, as said by Rattler said, bring a knife too a gun fight?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you that this chuckle head has no solution to criminals out arming the cops
Smittyfubar
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

No... I'm afraid he's actually very serious. liberalism is truly a mental disorder.

Am I correct in guessing y'all are speaking about Fido?
Smittyfubar
AG
Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

Jock 07 said:

Ag_B_10 said:

FIDO_Ags said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you that this chuckle head has no solution to criminals out arming the criminals

Lol. Got ya!
Jock 07
AG
Looks like the order to lower flags has gone out.
Nom de Plume
AG
I love how this thread starts. I couldn't get past the first few posts.

Hey, you other people, tell us your "solutions." And let's keep it respectful.

Lol. The tone is already set. No one wants to really talk solutions.

And anyone that isn't in the "I'd blow their face right off of I had just been there" crowd rips everyone that thinks we could probably have a better solution than just arming every citizen.
Ellis Wyatt
SteveA said:

Quote:

You're advocating against a God-given right, so you aren't a conservative.
A God given right? You believe that God wrote the constitution? Bless your heart.
Not really a student of history, are you?
Watchful Ag
AG
I completely disagree with Fido, but I'm open to hearing what solution you think we can come to that doesn't kneecap the 2A into irrelevancy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

You're advocating against a God-given right, so you aren't a conservative.
A God given right? You believe that God wrote the constitution? Bless your heart.
Not really a student of history, are you?

The number of people who think anything we have is because of our govt overlords gave them to us vs. something you were born with and should simply have protected is scary. It is a mindset and track to having them go away, and I'm talking about far more than guns. If your mindset is one that this entity had the authority to grant them to you, then by default you consider it to have the authority to take them away. Dangerously ignorant
Nom de Plume
AG
But Watchful, that's where I see a problem. Limiting weapons of mass destruction from the public isn't getting rid of the 2A.

The gun debate is a microcosm of what's going on in America. It's two factions of folks on either end of the spectrum and about 80% in the middle caught in the crossfire.
Ellis Wyatt
They worship government. Their religion is politics. They're terrifyingly ignorant.
Ellis Wyatt
But it is. The whole purpose of the amendment is to be able to stand up to a tyrannical government. We came by it honestly.
Watchful Ag
AG
Well … telling law abiding citizens that they have to give up their best line of defense while doing nothing to get guns off the streets isn't a great starting point.

If you don't mind, can you walk me through your plan step by step?
The_Desert_Fox
Nom de Plume said:

I love how this thread starts. I couldn't get past the first few posts.

Hey, you other people, tell us your "solutions." And let's keep it respectful.

Lol. The tone is already set. No one wants to really talk solutions.

And anyone that isn't in the "I'd blow their face right off of I had just been there" crowd rips everyone that thinks we could probably have a better solution than just arming every citizen.

The solution is to have an Israeli style vigilance and an armed and trained populace. You just don't like the answer.

I suggest you google the term backpack gun and just go ahead and make it part of your lifestyle.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Nom de Plume said:

But Watchful, that's where I see a problem. Limiting weapons of mass destruction from the public isn't getting rid of the 2A.

The gun debate is a microcosm of what's going on in America. It's two factions of folks on either end of the spectrum and about 80% in the middle caught in the crossfire.

Define weapons of mass destruction.
Old May Banker
AG
rocky the dog said:

Per usual... spot on.
Matt Hooper
AG
A couple of quick notes if your post (plus a response to a later post about the Constitution in general) was serious.

Regarding the 2nd Amendment.
The militia is comprised of "the People". The militia to the founding fathers (James Madison drafting the 2nd Amendment) would be formed by the people to protect their rights should the Gov't or other forces seek to deprive the People of their inalienable god given rights. The Peoples rights to keep and bear arms were therefore not to be infringed upon. It's a right of the People not the Militia. It's also not about hunting - not that you insinuated as much; others do at times.
See Federalist Paper 46 (draft by James Madison himself). No need to rely on my summary.
Also see Bruen decision that the describes the operative clause of the 2nd amendment.

The Constitution in General
We do not get our rights from the Constitution. The founders believed our fundamental rights to be god given or inalienable. The Constitution is a contract between the People and the Government where we the People give to the federal Gov't certain limited, enumerated powers to govern. There are certain rights specifically the Gov't was not granted authority over. See Bill of Rights. To presume the Gov't assigns rights to the peoples has the contract relationship backwards.

These should be basic civics knowledge. Hence, my uncertainty if you were/are serious.
Hooper Drives the Boat
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
SteveA
AG
My statement was in response to the 2nd amendment being a god given right. I misunderstood the intent. I agree with your definition of what the constitution represents. Or at least what it should represent.
rab79
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Will our resident gun control crowd please explain what gun laws would have stopped the more recent mass shootings?
A ban on semi auto rifles and large capacity magazines would be a start. I'm not a gun control guy, but this happened about 4 miles from my house, and my kids were up there at the mall, so I'm a bit biased at the moment. This assault would be much more difficult for a guy armed with a 9mm handgun. The AR style weapons, or any semi auto with a pistol grip makes it too easy. Now, how do you get those out of the hands of people that do this stuff? I have no idea. Not a politician and don't claim to have answers. Obviously laws don't matter or they wouldn't be shooting up malls. But I don't think more guns is the answer. I don't think there is a need for these types of guns to be as available as they are. My opinion. Keeping it civil.
You are under the mistaken impression that criminals follow the laws...
Nom de Plume
AG
SteveA
AG
I'm not. I just want it harder for them to get the guns.
Old May Banker
AG
SteveA said:

What about making it harder for them to remain and function in society? Removing the gun doesn't fix them.
DannyDuberstein
AG
SteveA said:

When we put criminals in jail and apply sentences on the books appropriately, it's really tough to get a gun
SteveA
AG
Only after the fact. But he'll, lock em up and throw away the key. If this guy in allen had lived, I would have hoped they would have executed him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There are multiple mugshots of this guy obviously indicsting multiple previous arrests. We'll see what he was continuously caught and released for

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.