Gun control and mass shootings

21,961 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Goro Majima
The_Desert_Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaitShack said:

You lost me at pistol grip.

When you see someone mention cosmetic firearm features as relating to lethality, you can pour their firearms knowledge into a tiny thimble. And their opinions about guns should be immediately disregarded.
Daddy
AG
A, these are orchestrated events.
Yes, they are.

B, people will buy these weapons anywhere. Assault rifles aren't high caliber bullets, they are rifles that don't kick much and have or can have large mags so yes it does have the ability to fire more rounds in a finite amount of time.

C. These things are being orchestrated because the left [some right] have to deflect from our economic collapse thats happening nefore our eyes and not being mentioned. between our dollar catering, inflation, our banks, etc.

The 1.5 million illegals on the border full of rapist, terrorist, drug smugglers. Child traffickers, mentally ill, and the unvaccainated. Lil coverage. Need a slight of hand.

And the billions being sent to Ukraine each month to fight in a war that's not ours. We've heard this before haven't we?

And chubbs is right. Every city is seeing mass crime wave and killing mostly by hand guns. Illegally bought in the highest gun control areas of our country that happens every day with no news.

The narrative has to change or deflect.

Oh, do they want the private citizen unarmed and unarmed without their best ability to fight back? Damn Skippy. So did the brits.

Take your country back. Pray, vote. Demand the truth, and demand answers on the lies spread to us by our govt

Like what?

Covid and the pushed vaccines is a start.

The Chinese balloon 2nd

Our economy 3rd

The border crisis 4th

Crime 5th
DannyDuberstein
AG
The_Desert_Fox said:

BaitShack said:

When you see someone mention cosmetic firearm features as relating to lethality, you can pour their firearms knowledge into a tiny thimble. And their opinions about guns should be immediately disregarded.

100% this
Tachoro
B-1 83 said:

Please explain what measures would/should make them more difficult to obtain.

Czech Republic has a good model. I know these measures aren't popular here, but here is a rational proposal. It hurts me to see dead children so I am open to change, while still supporting the 2nd Amendment.

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/czech-gun-laws-may-be-a-model-for-how-to-regulate-guns-in-the-u-s
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

They must also pass a medical fitness check, which includes mental fitness.

I don't need to pass a mental fitness test to vote or have free speech, do I? So why should I have one for right to bear arms?

And after Covid, the last thing I would entertain is faith in the government to employ a non-bias "mental health screening".

Don't like you're 3rd grader learning about gay sex - banned
Not vaccinated - banned
Vote for mean tweets - banned

Hell no
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

That's why pistols are almost never used.

Oh....wait, they're the #1 weapon of choice in crimes. Nevermind.

Glad your kids are safe, but don't let emotions cloud your judgement.
They are not the #1 choice of weapons in these kinds of incidents.
Jock 07
AG
B-1 83 said:

Lesotho said:

I think all guns should be legal but can someone lose their right to easily obtain one? In basic training we had a kid that was suicidal and told behavioral health he wanted to hurt people. He was banned from the range and was discharged. Does he still get to walk in and buy a semi-automatic rifle in a matter of minutes? I support the 2nd amendment but can we toss in some logic?
See the Sutherland Springs shootings. Shooter was flagged by the USAF (for family violence, I believe) and the flag was never disseminated down the line. This is certainly an area that needs attention.

Interesting you should mention this case. I just sat through the article 137 brief with the JAG and he specifically referenced this incident in being where the government ****ed up. From what I recall it had to do with properly logging stuff/clerical mistakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
True or False:

more people murdered by handguns than semi auto rifles?
DannyDuberstein
AG
The irony of one party preaching gun control while not prosecuting and releasing dangerous criminals more quickly than ever. Are we here for the safety of Joe Law Abiding Citizen or not? Because this is approach is 100% at odds with his safety. Clearly they are not actually for Joe Citizen's safety. But the child-like mindset of some of the masses are useful to them
DrEvazanPhD
Lesotho said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

When you talk about banning AR-15 style "assault" weapons, I always go back to the same thought. Just keeping the discussion about guns, what would prevent someone from doing the same thing with a Winchester 30-30, or a 9mm pistol, or a shotgun?

Casualty count would be lower. I don't support semi automatic rifle ban but I do support making them more difficult to acquire. Yes criminals will find a way, but there are a lot of school shooters that walked in and purchased legally and quickly.

How would it be lower
SteveA
AG
Quote:

So by your thinking, should any semi auto pistol be banned as well? What about drum mags that can hold as many as 100 rds? I'd be more worried about an idiot with a pistol and several 30 rd mags going inside the mall. It would be much more difficult to see him beforehand, and a lot easier for him to move around with a handgun.
I don't know. This is an outdoor mall, and this guy was lighting people up from across the street. Could he have done that with a pistol? Maybe? But the semi auto rifle makes it easier.
Bronco6G
Lesotho said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

When you talk about banning AR-15 style "assault" weapons, I always go back to the same thought. Just keeping the discussion about guns, what would prevent someone from doing the same thing with a Winchester 30-30, or a 9mm pistol, or a shotgun?

Casualty count would be lower. I don't support semi automatic rifle ban but I do support making them more difficult to acquire. Yes criminals will find a way, but there are a lot of school shooters that walked in and purchased legally and quickly.

They were all planned out, none of those were spontaneous where they went from the gun store to the crime scene. So you just want to give them more time to plan things out better while they wait?
SteveA
AG
Quote:

True or False:

I would imagine true.
Now, true or false. More mass shootings are done with semi auto rifles than handguns.
B-1 83
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

So by your thinking, should any semi auto pistol be banned as well? What about drum mags that can hold as many as 100 rds? I'd be more worried about an idiot with a pistol and several 30 rd mags going inside the mall. It would be much more difficult to see him beforehand, and a lot easier for him to move around with a handgun.
I don't know. This is an outdoor mall, and this guy was lighting people up from across the street. Could he have done that with a pistol? Maybe? But the semi auto rifle makes it easier.
By that same token, he could well have simply walked into a couple of crowded stores with a pair of 9mm and done just as much, if not more damage. He only gained range, not killing power. To top it off, handguns are much easier to conceal.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kill count is likely higher if he didn't dress in tactical, had a more concealable weapon, and entered some of these places. Would have been harder to identify and engage
zoneag
SteveA said:

Quote:

True or False:

I would imagine true.
Now, true or false. More mass shootings are done with semi auto rifles than handguns.
False

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

Isosceles_Kramer
False

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings

ttha_aggie_09
AG
False - especially after the definition of mass shooting was changed by FBI
B-1 83
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

True or False:

I would imagine true.
False, and not even close. More sensationalized mass shootings are.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/
bmks270
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Will our resident gun control crowd please explain what gun laws would have stopped the more recent mass shootings?
A ban on semi auto rifles and large capacity magazines would be a start. I'm not a gun control guy, but this happened about 4 miles from my house, and my kids were up there at the mall, so I'm a bit biased at the moment. This assault would be much more difficult for a guy armed with a 9mm handgun. The AR style weapons, or any semi auto with a pistol grip makes it too easy. Now, how do you get those out of the hands of people that do this stuff? I have no idea. Not a politician and don't claim to have answers. Obviously laws don't matter or they wouldn't be shooting up malls. But I don't think more guns is the answer. I don't think there is a need for these types of guns to be as available as they are. My opinion. Keeping it civil.

If you want to reduce gun murders, you would ban pistols, not rifles.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Facts are like kryptonite to a liberal gun grabber
PatriotAg02
AG
Govern me harder daddy!

/some lib
BigHead 04
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

That's why pistols are almost never used.

Oh....wait, they're the #1 weapon of choice in crimes. Nevermind.

Glad your kids are safe, but don't let emotions cloud your judgement.
They are not the #1 choice of weapons in these kinds of incidents.

Speaking of "these kinds of incidents" 103 people died in 2021 from active shooter incidents as defined by the FBI. Out of 20,958 gun murders.

And that's without talking about 26,328 gun suicides the same year. But hey. It's the scary assault rifles fault.

Wake up. Our culture is sick and decaying, in more ways than one. Murder and suicide are a symptom of this disease, not the cause.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The_Desert_Fox
SteveA said:

Quote:

True or False:

I would imagine true.

In the scheme of gun homicides, mass shootings are a statistical blip. And all rifles only account for a few hundreds deaths annually, while handguns kill close to 10 thousand.

And 10s of millions "assault weapons" are already in circulation.

You cannot outsource your own protection. You gotta put in your own work yourself hommie.
The_Desert_Fox
bmks270 said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

Will our resident gun control crowd please explain what gun laws would have stopped the more recent mass shootings?
A ban on semi auto rifles and large capacity magazines would be a start. I'm not a gun control guy, but this happened about 4 miles from my house, and my kids were up there at the mall, so I'm a bit biased at the moment. This assault would be much more difficult for a guy armed with a 9mm handgun. The AR style weapons, or any semi auto with a pistol grip makes it too easy. Now, how do you get those out of the hands of people that do this stuff? I have no idea. Not a politician and don't claim to have answers. Obviously laws don't matter or they wouldn't be shooting up malls. But I don't think more guns is the answer. I don't think there is a need for these types of guns to be as available as they are. My opinion. Keeping it civil.

You misspelled young black males, but you're right.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Facts are like kryptonite to a liberal gun grabber
When you're only able to argue on emotion, everything is an emotional argument, facts be damned
BigHead 04
AG
In 2020, 59% of gun murders were handguns. Only 3% were rifles, and that is ALL rifles, including your scary "assault" rifles.

So says the FBI. Now if you want it start talking about not trusting the FBI, you might actually find some common ground in here!!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BaitShack said:
The_Desert_Fox said:

100% this
A grip is a bit more than a cosmetic feature. Maybe if you had the knowledge you claim to, instead of the basic talking points, you would know what those advantages are. Hell, in one of the school shootings, the shooter wielded the rifle with a single hand. Can you do that effectively with a traditional stock? Regardless if you want to discard my post because a tiny part, semi auto and high capacity make for a more lethal combo in these circumstances than a handgun.
Shoefly!
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

I feel for you and your family. I have 6 grandkids going to elementary school so it's possible in my neighborhood too. But the cowards that would do this in my neighborhood know it won't be an easy task because there is a sign at the entrance of the school that is is protected by teachers with pistols inside. And longuns outside.
If they get to take away the long guns do you actually think they would stop there?
SteveA
AG
I want to reduce mass shootings, especially in schools. Not exactly a gang banger forte.
B-1 83
AG
The_Desert_Fox said:

bmks270 said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

You misspelled young black males, but you're right.
Please don't. I want an honest look into what goes through the mind of people determined to reduce gun violence through gun laws.
BigHead 04
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BaitShack said:
The_Desert_Fox said:

100% this
A grip is a bit more than a cosmetic feature. Maybe if you had the knowledge you claim to, instead of the basic talking points, you would know what those advantages are. Hell, in one of the school shootings, the shooter wielded the rifle with a single hand. Can you do that effectively with a traditional stock? Regardless if you want to discard my post because a tiny part, semi auto and high capacity make for a more lethal combo in these circumstances than a handgun.

Thanks for making it so obvious you're a troll. Jesus this is a dumbass take
ttha_aggie_09
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BaitShack said:
The_Desert_Fox said:

100% this
Please just stop trying to argue as if you have one ounce of understanding how a firearm works.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.