Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,225 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

So was this the worst marketing decision in history?
I can't think of any that are even in the same ballpark as far as what they cost their parent company.

IMO New Coke vs Classic Coke was the worst, but they pivoted a whole lot faster than Bud Light. AB apparently is happy seeing their brand driven into the ground.
techno-ag
AG
AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

I can't think of any that are even in the same ballpark as far as what they cost their parent company.

IMO New Coke vs Classic Coke was the worst, but they pivoted a whole lot faster than Bud Light. AB apparently is happy seeing their brand driven into the ground.
It's for the cause. And there was nothing political with New Coke.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Im Gipper
AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

Sorry, not even close!

The fact that Coke easily came back from that mistake shows it is not even remotely in the same stratosphere as this Bud Light blunder!

I'm Gipper
The Brazos Kid
Prosperdick said:

lb3 said:

Sports venues are the last place I would want to be seen drinking a Bud Light. This isn't a conservative boycott against Bud Light, this is a brand that became toxic overnight within bro-culture. This is basically like in July of '79 when disco suddenly became toxic. The cultural underpinnings of each are similar.
That's a really good comparison and heck, one of the venues had a bring your disco records (mostly BeeGee's) to the park and they put them all in a big pile and blew them up. Disco never recovered and neither will Bud Light.

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

New coke was marketing genius to mask the transition to corn syrup.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Im Gipper said:

AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

Sorry, not even close!

The fact that Coke easily came back from that mistake shows it is not even remotely in the same stratosphere as this Bud Light blunder!

I always thought Coke planned to "come back" with the corn syrup version of coke instead of classic.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
The Brazos Kid
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Im Gipper said:

AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

Sorry, not even close!

I always thought Coke planned to "come back" with the corn syrup version of coke instead of classic.

Current Coke cans now say "Original Taste". The ones after the New Coke fiasco said "Original Formula" although that was a lie (corn syrup). It's "Original Taste" to give a bit more truth in advertising.

Source: I was a 12 year old at the time with a corn allergy and of all the name brand sodas, Mr. Pibb (bleh) was the last one to go from sugar to corn syrup/sweetener.
Logos Stick
Im Gipper said:

AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

Sorry, not even close!

This. Coke drinkers didn't abandon Coke. They all came back after Classic was brought back.

Also, it wasn't simple marketing. They physically changed the product.

Not comparable at all.
AgDad121619
AG
lb3 said:

Sports venues are the last place I would want to be seen drinking a Bud Light. This isn't a conservative boycott against Bud Light, this is a brand that became toxic overnight within bro-culture. This is basically like in July of '79 when disco suddenly became toxic. The cultural underpinnings of each are similar.
this made me go back and read some articles about the overnight" disco sucks " phenomenon. I remember it clearly but never gave it much thought. An article from 2019 wrapped up linking it to Trump. I kid you not
Kenneth_2003
AG
AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

New Coke tested extremely well. It repeatedly beat the other colas and even Coke in blind tests. It was sweeter and for anyone wanting a sweeter cola it was the clear winner.

Where Coke blundered was the unabashed loyalty people had to the traditional Coke flavor. Customers admitted they liked the new one better, but what Coke failed to realize was that customers didn't DISLIKE Coke.

I don't buy into the idea that the shift was to provide cover for the transition to HFCS.
powerbelly
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

New Coke tested extremely well. It repeatedly beat the other colas and even Coke in blind tests. It was sweeter and for anyone wanting a sweeter cola it was the clear winner.

Where Coke blundered was the unabashed loyalty people had to the traditional Coke flavor.
Customers admitted they liked the new one better, but what Coke failed to realize was that customers didn't DISLIKE Coke.

I don't buy into the idea that the shift was to provide cover for the transition to HFCS.
This is the same reason people chose Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge and why those same people stick with Coke.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Never forget that Coke magican promo where cash money would shoot out of the can when you opened it. Folks spent all summer getting hyped up on cocacola trying to get one of those cans and dreaming of what they were gonna do with the money. Never saw one or heard of anybody who got one.

Then a couple weeks into the promo somebody drank the liquid out of the can and they canceled it for liability reasons. Thats why the commercial points out not to drink from coke majican.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Moderna's $100 Visa gift cards for people that got the covid shots were the coke magican of the modern era.
txags92
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

AnScAggie said:

txags92 said:

Im Gipper said:

Where Coke blundered was the unabashed loyalty people had to the traditional Coke flavor. Customers admitted they liked the new one better, but what Coke failed to realize was that customers didn't DISLIKE Coke.

What don't you buy about it? That was the whole point of "New Coke". They were changing the formula to use hfcs instead of sugar. They thought it was better because it was sweeter and had tested well. They did not realize the amount of resistance there would be to changing a beloved product.
txags92
AG
The best comparison if you are trying to be apples to apples with BL and New Coke would be if New Coke had sent special cans to Boy George and then given an interview talking about how they thought most Old Coke drinkers were too uptight and not flamboyant enough and that the brand was trying to get away from that image.
Stat Monitor Repairman
All this Coke talk tells us that Bud light about due for something stupid.

Wonder what they got teed up now?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
They put HFCS or sugar into the Diet Coke recipe to make New Coke and it was too heavy on the tongue. Coke Zero is the original coke recipe with the different sweetener in it
Stat Monitor Repairman
I don't even think Mexican coke is the original Coke recipe anymore. Nor the coke in Western Europe. Both taste way different than og coke with way less bite. If you've ever had coke, sprite or fanta bottled in the gulf states in those mini-cans, the difference is obvious.
YouBet
AG
I want Coke with cocaine in it. Refuse to drink it until we get that.
Love Gun
Is this thread about Bud Light or ****ing Coke?
**** Joe Biden
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
To get back on topic, anecdotal evidence from vacation outside of San Antonio. Not a single bar had BL on tap, most didn't have it in bottles. Everyone who had any type of yuengling was sold out.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Love Gun said:

Is this thread about Bud Light or ******* Coke?
We trying to pass the time until bud light does something stupid again.
Love Gun
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Love Gun said:

What's this "we" crap? You gotta mouse in your pocket?
**** Joe Biden
Stat Monitor Repairman
Love Gun said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Love Gun said:

What's this "we" crap? You gotta mouse in your pocket?
We consists of the 9-people on this page talmbout cocacola.

And no on the mouse.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
We is just about everyone here??? The leftists evacuated this thread long ago.

Decay
AG
Austin-based Pluckers was doing $2 Bud Light pints last week. I can tell it's been a while since I've even gone to a bar because $2 pints should not be on special, but here we are.

Interesting to note that they didn't list the special as Bud Light, it said "select pints" and the bartender tried to get me to change after I ordered a Miller so I finally got to participate in the boycott I suppose.

Any new numbers come out lately? I'm curious how sticky this boycott actually is, and if things like a medium sized restaurant chain putting them quietly on special will make any dent in the backlog numbers.
CDUB98
AG
Decay said:

Any new numbers come out lately? I'm curious how sticky this boycott actually is, and if things like a medium sized restaurant chain putting them quietly on special will make any dent in the backlog numbers.

Earnings report on Aug. 3rd, so we're all just waiting like sharks circling prey.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Equally as important is quarterly earnings for TAP coming out this week
nortex97
AG
G. hirsutum Ag said:

Equally as important is quarterly earnings for TAP coming out this week
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like they are expected to beat the forecast again, unlike Brendan Whitworth's outfit.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I moved a bunch of stuff around and put it into TAP back early June. It's up 8.1% since then and I expect a good bump this week. I don't know how long it will hold but I'll take it where I can find it
techno-ag
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

We is just about everyone here??? The leftists evacuated this thread long ago.

Yup. Remember this from page one?

Kozmozag said:

Yall aren't taking in to consideration the lqbtq+ community and their allies democrats. AB will be supported.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

nortex97
AG

I guess the GLBTQ team needs to inform the InBev folks the support is coming.
Stat Monitor Repairman
If you a a privately owned bud light distributor, what is your recourse for getting gaped by Daylan Mulveney and the folks at bud light corporate?

At first they thought it was a game, but now almost 4-months in we talkin about some real money.

What is the number of distributor owned bud light trucks painted in bud light livery?

From a business and marketing standpoint, what do you do about the symbol of a dying brand?

Is the failing bud light brand an albatross around the neck of these distributors?

Are distributors the Houston Astros and bud light is Enron Field?

What to do?
agent-maroon
AG
Drove down Stateline Av in Texarkana recently. The Arkansas side is liquor store after beer store after bar/club. Every one of them had BL signage as far as I could see. Can't imagine that they are going to want that signage up and will be replacing it at the first opportunity. It's not just the distributors - it's everybody involved with beer sales at every level. We're watching the stock price anticipating a big drop, but the actual costs to replace the now toxic BL branding is going to cost many times the market/stock value losses.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
How the heck did they miss this quarter??
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.